Just throwing this out there

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

bdgdkay

Just throwing this out there

Post by bdgdkay »

Has anyone noticed that this day and age in illarion has gotten, not as an entirely bad thing, boring? I mean, one always hears of things like the liche wars, the temples, constant wars, and so on. But, iut has come to my attention that we have had nothing close to that in the recent times. The closest we have yet come was afew pathetic skeletons wandering town, some mummies who cant do anything especially when they are locked up until sunrise, and we did have one drow invasion recently. And, when these kinds of things happen, they happen either really early in the morning or really late in the night, atleast for me. I hope other people understand what im talking about. If any mods are able to help shake things up abit around here, it would be greatly appreciated, and enjoyed. It just seems that in the past, a hero to the people had a whole different meaning than it does now, seems to have gone from warrior who saved a nation to any old person who is just abit stronger than the others around him. But yes, just throwing this out there for a new idea, as it seems only one group is taking action(and no offense, but it doesnt sound like the warparty will be too big of a threat)
Dariya

Post by Dariya »

well, I guess the Questers would appreciate any gorgeous idea coming from players ;)
remember, do not expect them to entertain you but go ingame to eintertain yourself and try to entertain others ... leads most of the time to awesome rp :)
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

Yeah, more quests!
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

well, you know, what i think my point is, is that, there are no more suprises showing up, i mean, when i go on my regular hunting trips to the graveyard, i talk to the summoners, because i know they cant kill me. It just, that everything is the same these days, there are no variable, like waking up to find the town under the control of demon skeltons or something like that. and the one time i did wake up to find shadow skeletons in control, the very first day, some people had put banmishment spells on the town and they could no longer enter, therefore eliminating the threat once again. And, no offense to everyone, but there are only limited rping abilities of all the players, and noone is able to rp a skeleton invasion, as they are one person, and im talking about island wide fights.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Its because the gms (no offense) are too stiff when dealing with player proposals. I dont think its deliberate, i just think some of the rules in place make the game inflexible, and make doing anything new difficult.

This is constructive criticism btw, not whining :)

If im honest though (directed at the guy above me) not everything has to revolve around massive wars, demon invasions etc. Show some creativity dude, there are lots of ways to have fun without this. Illarion is a rp game, not a battle generator.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

also, to the gms would it not make sense that a large scale invasion would help the rp of everyone? Think about it, the people look up to the fighters more, cooks are more needed as the fighters need food, the smiths are needed for weapons and armor, the mages for fighting and healing(but please, not for banishments, that really got on my nerves with the old invasion) it would also bring the people together as all the guilds/cities/ whatever else there is, would have to fight together for the common cause of saving everyone. Maybeeven better rp as the warriors go out on counterstrikes,possibly never to be seen again, and then they are brought up to fame if they return, and even more so if they dont, and so on. To all the gms, you should really take this into consideration at least to see what it does to or for the people of illarion
Damien

Post by Damien »

No, it's because most player proposals that come in are about "make me uber strong" or aimed at gaining ingame advantages, and because some people manage to complain about EVERYTHING, so it's really no fun to do questing at all. For big quests it's like, you plan and tune it for a few hours, then you make the map for a few hours more, a few days later you lead it for a few hours, after that you have twenty people saying "wheee that was great" and one or two people complaining to you for a few days about how shit it was and why the quest started in a place where they were "forced" or why someone else solved it and why they should have been in the center of action all the time and not some others.
And if you don't tell them they were sooo right, they go and complain to a few other players who have not even been online during quest time, and with those, they complain to other staff members, and after the discussions after that, you're really, really thinking ten times about ever wasting days for just a simple quest thing. ;)

Ooh yeah and the best things always are stuff like : "#me climbs on the dragon's back" / "#me kicks the Dragon" ..etc, they get eaten, then OTHER players complain that that GM purposely instakilled player characters without reasons... *g*

So you see that, actually, it's quite unlikely that questers stay active for long.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Sundo Raca wrote:Its because the gms (no offense) are too stiff when dealing with player proposals.
I think you take your plot as an example.

But as Damien has written. Some players tend to complain about everything. So if the GMs gave you like 50% fighting skills and a base camp, just to help you starting, those players I've mentioned would be more annoying than helping you could cause fun. Sad but true.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

Also if that is the case, maybe we should make it a little bit longer lasting. And to the other person, lets be honest, half the people out there are looking for a peaceful game, the other half, one with a good amount of action and fighting and such. If we go with keeping the peaceful people happy, the fighters grow bored, if we help the fighter's experience ig, then the peaceful people look to the fighters for help and the fighters get a good ig experience. The way i see it is, if we let the fighters get bored, they leave, if we give the nofighters action, we give them a sudden twist to their ig experience, possibly giving them a better expereice... for example they are a cook/ smith for the fighters, then when they have ig children/grandchildren, they get to spread along their tales of the war, the things they saw, experienced, the people they knew, the people they lost, etc. now, i may be looking at this alittle onesidedly as my char is a fighter, but still think of the arguement i have place infront of you all and consider the idea.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

A problem are the not very strong powers/cities resp. their government at the moment. Not much interest in politics and crisis...
pharse

Post by pharse »

Miklorius wrote:A problem are the not very strong powers/cities resp. their government at the moment. Not much interest in politics and crisis...
Some players constantly annoy the leaders of towns. Just for the sake of being annoying. OF COURSE they are not interested in any more crises! If I had a say in this, I'd ban those players immediately.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

The fact that the whole island unites to fight some enemy isn't much interesting at all. Random people appearing and joining, working with each other and so on :\ that's just hack&slash

I think before anything like this is done, people shoud be more bound to a city/guild and that there's some debates/discussions/political stuff before simply mingling in another city's/guild's affairs and fight alongside.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

pharse wrote:
Sundo Raca wrote:Its because the gms (no offense) are too stiff when dealing with player proposals.
I think you take your plot as an example.

But as Damien has written. Some players tend to complain about everything. So if the GMs gave you like 50% fighting skills and a base camp, just to help you starting, those players I've mentioned would be more annoying than helping you could cause fun. Sad but true.
I see no reason why in our plot the warchief and mage character cant be pushed. Both of the pos have other characters already, its clear we arent after an ig advantage, we just dont want to have to pg for a month, which would ruin the entire plot.

*ends moan*
pharse

Post by pharse »

abcfantasy wrote:I think before anything like this is done, people shoud be more bound to a city/guild and that there's some debates/discussions/political stuff before simply mingling in another city's/guild's affairs and fight alongside.
So true. I'm for "the circle of leaders".
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

And lets look at it this way, in a way without war. So, we take the warrior as he is created,no skills, no abilities, we send him out to train, walks to the crypt, kills mummies, gets stronger, breaks his armor/gets hungry. So then, enter the cook/smith they go, sell him his stuff he is happy, goes back to training, gets hungry, breaks armor, etc.. he goes back to town, gets his stuff and goes back to training. Now, where are we at, we have a warrior, getting skilled, but thats all he is. We have a Cook/smith, gettings skilled, has some money in his pocket, but thats all they are. Now, lets look at this abit deeper. The warrior, without wars and such, he stays as nothing more than a man with a sword, he will never go on to fame and fortune as a hero of the land. The chef/smith(and there can be other jobs, just these are the main one i work with) has some money, but thats all they have, with out a war inwhich their skills will be put to the test, they will only be a (whatever job they choose(this will now be said as *** to replace typing time) nothing more, nothing less, they wont be the most important *** in the land who has helped win the war through their amazing *** abilities, just a simple ***. But, now, back to the story line, suddenly, a war breaks out, the young warrior is now put to the test, he must go out and proove his skills not only to himself, but to the world, and show that he does have what it takes to help the land. And the *** they will now become some of the most valued people around, through there ability to supply the warriors with their needs and help them get to the peace that was once all over the land. maybe you should look at it this way before you choose what happens.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

I'm not saying that no wars is fun. But I think there needs to be more maturity. Currently, the same people will hop in and attack whatever comes, whatever it is, wherever it is, etc...

And you speak of a warrior like a warmachine...gets up, trains, gets money, buys armor and food, sleeps, gets up, trains, gets money, etc... etc...
Really, that isn't good at all. No concept, no life, no story, no fun.

I know what you mean, but it's very hard to achieve an interesting and mature raging war that's not simply slashslashslash, that causes interesting plots between different chars, that gives some deserving chars some fame, that really involves different people who are fitting for the scenes and so on.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

pharse wrote:
Miklorius wrote:A problem are the not very strong powers/cities resp. their government at the moment. Not much interest in politics and crisis...
Some players constantly annoy the leaders of towns. Just for the sake of being annoying. OF COURSE they are not interested in any more crises! If I had a say in this, I'd ban those players immediately.
Yes, a "baddie" can annoy/demotivate a leader with quite less efford. It's another problem that some players do not think further than "I'll pwn governor because me evil". Many storys collapse because there was no idea/concept after the war/action/whatever.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

im not saying that there doesnt need to be a plot, im just saying that there are some of us who do train often, but then when we get strong enough, there is nothing for our skills to be put to use in. I mean, make me a plot that is incredibly good, make it take some skill to think it through, but dont just make a judgement on the idea without trying to throw in your own ideas first, i mean, this is still out in the open for anyone to make suggestions. So, anyone who has any good ideas, or maybe get a moderator who has seen alot of such ideas and knows how to make a good plot in here to help us, and perhaps we could go through with this in a way that could help everyone out with their roleplaying and other such things
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

bdgdkay wrote:im not saying that there doesnt need to be a plot, im just saying that there are some of us who do train often, but then when we get strong enough, there is nothing for our skills to be put to use in. I mean, make me a plot that is incredibly good, make it take some skill to think it through, but dont just make a judgement on the idea without trying to throw in your own ideas first, i mean, this is still out in the open for anyone to make suggestions. So, anyone who has any good ideas, or maybe get a moderator who has seen alot of such ideas and knows how to make a good plot in here to help us, and perhaps we could go through with this in a way that could help everyone out with their roleplaying and other such things
Its a rp game, so why should pging matter? Theres too much importance placed on it..
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

well, if you are accusing my nearly constant training as pging, there is an arguement against that, as my char happens to be the guard lieutenant and a page... so, i do know what i am talking about when it comes to all of this. but also, please, someone else must know what im talking about, there is too little to do around here, sure, the criminal here and there but when you get down to it, there is still nothing large scale to try and deal with. and please, someone help me to come up with some kind of story line to satisfy some of the others so that it still has a good rping backround and it is still a goodexperience for someone who enjoys the game alot but still needs abit of a rush out of it to hold his interest
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

As an example, I really liked the illness quest... only played once or twice and it was over. I think the more memorable ones last longer and involve all players that have a desire to. An Island wide one would be great! There may could be one "peaceful" haven for those to go that wish, that would also be good and fun RP as they talk of what is happening to the rest of Gobaith. It would be nice if something like that happened over at least a couple week span... it would make it more memorable.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

bdgdkay wrote:well, if you are accusing my nearly constant training as pging, there is an arguement against that, as my char happens to be the guard lieutenant and a page... so, i do know what i am talking about when it comes to all of this. but also, please, someone else must know what im talking about, there is too little to do around here, sure, the criminal here and there but when you get down to it, there is still nothing large scale to try and deal with. and please, someone help me to come up with some kind of story line to satisfy some of the others so that it still has a good rping backround and it is still a goodexperience for someone who enjoys the game alot but still needs abit of a rush out of it to hold his interest
I dont think theres anything wrong with pging, but i dont think the game should revolve around it. Thats all. Not trying to insult you or insinuate things. Ive pged from time to time too, so that would make me a hypocrite anyway :wink:
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Oh yes, that illness quest was really great :D <3
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

See the problem is, someone's always unhappy. And that someone is always really vocal about their unhappiness.

When I did the illness quest, I had planned it to go on for a week if not longer, I had things carefully planned out for it.

However a few days in the bitching had already reached critical level, and so we decided it was best to end the quest sooner.

That said, I do have a few things planned and a few things in the works. I am being a little tentative though because I know how people can react to these things. Just give me some time to get some willing players together and put some plans into action and you'll have plenty of excitement.
Zak

Post by Zak »

Silas Farron wrote:To whom should we adress if we have a plot for a quest? ^^
Then I'll get myself to work.
I am reading every proposal that is sent to me. ;)
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

julianna knows exactly what i am talking about. there are the peaceful people who go and help out the others as they try and repel the forces of evil spreading through the land.(atleast thats what i think she's saying)

and i have somewhat of an idea, but, it is very vague, but here it is

After the liche wars in the past when they were finally repelled, they vanished from the land, never to be seen again, but, while the people on the land celebrated and finally got back to their normal live, the liche were off in((their lair)) training and rebuilding their army etc... any more ideas are welcome
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Big Quests, are plain and simple a hell lot of work. And big quests, cause all time a very high amount of bitching. Until some players accept that they are not the center of the game and their characters do not have to play major roles in every quest, it will be unlikely that any big quests happen. Also its needed that some players stop behaving like 5 years old child's, bitching against each other at any given reasons. And the players start playing with each other.

When this happened, there will be big quests. Because then its also to the gms fun to do them.

Before, I doubt any gm really wants to make something big. And I can understand this.

Nitram
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Nitram wrote:Until some players accept that they are not the center of the game and their characters do not have to play major roles in every quest, it will be unlikely that any big quests happen.
Are there still such POs?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Miklorius wrote:
Nitram wrote:Until some players accept that they are not the center of the game and their characters do not have to play major roles in every quest, it will be unlikely that any big quests happen.
Are there still such POs?
Not as major as some who left already but there are still. And I felt its needed to say this, because this is also a point of the whole problem.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

im not blaming you for this ,Nitram, but, because there are some players who cant pull their heads from their arse, you are going to give into them and make other's ig experience suffer? Isn't it true that you are the moderator? If you give into a few people who think they are better than the rest of the players, you may as well call them moderators. I wish I didnt have to put it that way, but it is the truth in every sense of the word.