Giant fairies

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Jupiter
Developer

Giant fairies

Post by Jupiter »

How tall is a average fairy?

The littlest thing you can choose by creating a fariy is 26 cm, sorry, but as the littlest it sounds preety tall to me.
And the tallest is 63 cm! That is a flying something but not a littel sweet fairy.

In my opinion a fairy should be around 10-20 cm.

Would like to hear your opinions about it.

(If you change the height, you have to change the weight somehow too)
Damien

Post by Damien »

Remember we DON'T refer to disney fairies in illarion, but to "real" fae folk fairies - not sprites ! - from tales and legends etc., so their size is alright.
Additionally, it would be quite a lot of work to change our fairies to disney-fairies :
1. graphics
2. logic-system consequences (not being able to carry "big" items at all, and only a limited number of coins/etc, cause of the weight, things like daggers becoming two handed, no recognizable damage in combat, smaller spells, etc.)

Technically, illarion cannot handle "sprite"- fairies of a "tiny" size.
If suggest making ingame races THAT small, i am for introducing smurfs too.

---
And think of all the people cybering with fairies, the sice decrease would also totally ruin their fun... well, if you knew what invisible GMs sometimes witness on routine checks... you'd get sick too ! :wink:
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

Because of their very small size and their ability to fly they can hide very well in bushes and leaves.
Then perhaps we should work on the definition of things on the website? :P
Damien

Post by Damien »

A being of a size of 26 - 60 cm can hide pretty well, don't you think ? ;)
I mean, come on, even halflings are good at hiding, and they're more than twice that size.
No collision seen there.
Gwendolin Cad'ell

Post by Gwendolin Cad'ell »

Ayla wrote:
Because of their very small size and their ability to fly they can hide very well in bushes and leaves.
Then perhaps we should work on the definition of things on the website? :P
Hasn't that definition on the website been written by Damien in the first place? *ggg*

Edit: with 60 cm you can at least not hide in leaves :P *g*
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

Hahaha, I was just being sarcastic anyway. XD

Only thing that I see is that "very small size" gives the impression of Disney-fairies but.. I'm not picky. *Pats him with an evil smile*

Edit: And ha! She agrees. *Snickers*
Damien

Post by Damien »

Even I can hide in leaves, if there are enough of them.
:lol:
I never wrote "hide behind one leaf", right ? It's still plural.
:P
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

*Throws leaves at him*

Arrr. We're still making fun of the definition, whether you like it or not! :lol:

But yes, yes, still plural. *Grumble* Though it's harder to hide in leaves than one realizes, and this comes from a very short girl.
Damien

Post by Damien »

It's not hard at all, if you wear the matching stuff !
Never tried to crouch under a HUGE pile of leaves yourself ? Watch out for hedehogs !*ggg*
Olive

Post by Olive »

large fairies? i can think of one

The Santa clause II
the tooth fairy, or as he wanted to be called, the molinator

((evil grin))
Damien

Post by Damien »

No.
We're ordinary people.
Freaks are those hiding under leaves NAKED.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Yeah don't confuse him with his character!
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Damien wrote:Remember we DON'T refer to disney fairies in illarion, but to "real" fae folk fairies - not sprites ! - from tales and legends etc., so their size is alright.
Wrong. A lot of "real" fairies are as a big as humans, just don't get older and dance with the wind and stuff like this. It changed a lot during the time and it depends of which culture you are talking of.

And why should the size of fairy-graphic has to be changed?
It is so big, because the PLAYER has to see it, why can't we just play that the char is so small? I don't get.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Jupiter wrote:A lot of real fairies are as a big as humans
I think Jupiter must've woken up drunk and disorientated at a fancy dress party at some point.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Alex, what are you talking about?
Damien

Post by Damien »

Jupiter's completely correct. Folk tale fairies weren't small at all, in the early ones, but they sometimes overlap with small people tales or even with elves. Of course that makes it worse making them tiny *g* anyhow, the discussion is far from being still serious up there.
Last edited by Damien on Tue May 20, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olive

Post by Olive »

the size and mannerism of the faerie depends on which culture you are taking the mythology from. SO while many mythological references are similar why not just let people control their own character a bitmore and have everybody just try to handle that their prejudices and preconceptiosn might need a bit of tweaking?
Damien

Post by Damien »

We need a common level players can base their RP on, else they'll go at eachother's throats fighting over who is right where. But yeah, that kinda was the reason for making their size vary widely, from 26 to 60ish cm, so the players still have alot of choice.
Olive

Post by Olive »

hmmm i suppose it woudl be somewhat awkward if a 5 meter tall fairy came flying in to town, and yes this is taking thinsg way beyond the ratinal edges and off into the absurd extreemes.

still, i would have a hard time believeing that faeires couldn'tc ome in all shapes and sizes just like people do..within reason of course, you dont see 4 meter tall people yet
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Damien wrote:from 26 to 60ish cm, so the players still have alot of choice.
No, you can't play a littel fairy :?

And about your disney-fairy thing, you are maybe right, but disney is a part of the culture, don't forget this fact. Something doesn't have to be old to become part of a culture. So disney-fairies have there authorization of existance.
Olive

Post by Olive »

yes butthe disney fairies also have dragonfly wings where as the Illarioan fairies have buttlerfly ones or so the race descript says...
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

Whoever listens to Damien's descriptions anyway? :twisted:

*Runs far away and.. Hides in a pile of leaves*

But no, on a serious matter... It's all RP, right? I have characters that are technically 4 feet tall, yet I play them at regular height.. Shouldn't matter on technicalities.
Last edited by Ayla on Tue May 20, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

@Olive I don't say they have to be exactly like disney-fairies...

But go one the street and ask people what they think about fairies. They will say: "Littel, flying beings" And 26 isn't so littel, when it is the littelest.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

I made a fairy char only some hours ago, and the first thing that I was really confused with was the hugeness of the fairies.

I wrote in my chardescription that the fairy was only ten centimetres small, and then realized that this was wrong because she had to be more than two times this size!
Clearly it should be possible to play a fairy as small as one wants? 10 cm should be the smallest height for a fairy. How is the fairy supposed to fly around very fast and hide almost everywhere if she is more than 60 cm tall??? She is as huge as a hobbitchild! A fairy should be able to fly, without a lot of effort, and in my opinion a fairy is a sweet, SMALL flying thing around 10-20cms, if she is huge 30 cms.
Tinya

Post by Tinya »

Damien wrote:We need a common level players can base their RP on, else they'll go at eachother's throats fighting over who is right where. But yeah, that kinda was the reason for making their size vary widely, from 26 to 60ish cm, so the players still have alot of choice.
I like the idea of leaving a wide variety of choice up to the player, I played my fairy very small and have actually never seen a "large" fairy ig. It would appear to be very hard to fly around if too large *shrugs*
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Damn.. a 6 inch being? I've always rped that fairies were at least about 2 feet long.

I can't wait to walk up on two of this critters cybering and accidentally step on them. Or wait.. that brings up a valid point on fairies. A 6 inch being would be rather small down there, does it look like us?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

That argument is so crap. If the fairy gets bigger, its wings get bigger too, it's not trying to fly around with miniature wings..

It won't find it hard to fly, it has more powerful wings, so in fact it will fly much faster than a small fairy. Look at a fly and a baby fly or a bird and an eagle and then say the heavy one moves slower or bigger things find it harder to fly. Plus, you'd be able to hide that size, just not behind pebbles, try large rocks, shrubs and hedges.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Rhianna Morgan wrote:I made a fairy char only some hours ago, and the first thing that I was really confused with was the hugeness of the fairies.

I wrote in my chardescription that the fairy was only ten centimetres small, and then realized that this was wrong because she had to be more than two times this size!
Clearly it should be possible to play a fairy as small as one wants? 10 cm should be the smallest height for a fairy. How is the fairy supposed to fly around very fast and hide almost everywhere if she is more than 60 cm tall??? She is as huge as a hobbitchild! A fairy should be able to fly, without a lot of effort, and in my opinion a fairy is a sweet, SMALL flying thing around 10-20cms, if she is huge 30 cms.
Your opinion is yours, as it is, but what happened if you played somewhat consequent ?
- never wear any item that would be bigger (and heavier) than your fairy could logically carry (that includes coins, she can use them as cart wheels or mill stones)
- never fight a creature above your size (yes, that kinda includes all illarion monsters)
- never do anything a tiny person could not do.

There you go, have fun rping that. But keep in mind that fairies are a "special" race and any fairie playing or being described against the race description can (and most likely will) be banned by any GM without further notice.
The engine doesn't support tiny characters anyhow.

But if your opinion is different, please go ahead, program a "tiny creatures" feature into server and client, script the items for that race and change all other item scripts to react as "too big", and then have fun making some animated graphics.
And if you're done with that, please go ahead and rewrite the world background parts where fairie descriptions are mentioned to match your change. These won't be too many, since fairies are quite a "new" race.

:lol:
n00b.
Laendrelle

Post by Laendrelle »

Damien wrote:
Rhianna Morgan wrote:I made a fairy char only some hours ago, and the first thing that I was really confused with was the hugeness of the fairies.

Your opinion is yours, as it is, but what happened if you played somewhat consequent ?
- never wear any item that would be bigger (and heavier) than your fairy could logically carry (that includes coins, she can use them as cart wheels or mill stones)
- never fight a creature above your size (yes, that kinda includes all illarion monsters)
- never do anything a tiny person could not do.

There you go, have fun rping that. But keep in mind that fairies are a "special" race and any fairie playing or being described against the race description can (and most likely will) be banned by any GM without further notice.
I play my fairy as tiny and I DO enjoy playing those limitations. It's in the application that she slept on a flower and that got approved. Will she be banned now for being too tiny? I'd rather not play her if I had to rp her the size of an average to smallish halfling. The fun of fairies is in the small size and the challenges and rp situations that develop as a result.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

I may be a n00b, yes, but I am not playing a fairy to become a great warrior or to be rich, and I am almost sure my fairy will not need to learn any craftings. Why?
Because she is a fairy. And therefore no tiny human with wings. She is different. Things are different in her eyes. Yes, she can sleep in a flower.
She will not need to carry huge things around in her belt. What for??? She will not need them.
She has her clothes - that I rp as being as tiny as she is - and her bag, but I will not fill more in there than 1-2 cherries of something.
I DO rp her consequent, and I DO have fun with this. If I need huge things done, well, there will be hopefully someone huge around to solve the problems for my fairy. If there is a huge monster coming, the fairy will flee it. She would be stupid not to.
But am I going to be banned for my rp? Because my fairy is too tiny? Well, go ahead, tell me. In this case I rather don't rp a fairy than rp one that I can't imagine. Sorry, no, thank you.