Poison resistance?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

HeXiS

Poison resistance?

Post by HeXiS »

i was directed her after i asked a question.. it now has an answer of "no"... so i'll ask now if there can be a "yes"...

i was contemplating a poison resistance.. my frist day on her i got attacked for not gathering apples fast enough by a mage i had a new skill called magic resistance when i looked...

you know by maby eating the poisoned shroomies.. maby drinking the poison itself after a while of building it.. you know lil self experimentation... maby even making mushroom soup from the selection... just an idea there.. or having poison weapons make the meat bad eh.. ((that's something i was afraid of while i was hunting and realized what sword i was using))

also im wondering if some of the shroom could be, or are, more potent than the others.. (yes or no im not asking which one are stronger just if there is a variations among them.)

i noticed there seem to be two poison effects one saps stamina the other saps hp.. maby two skills would be nice..

since i try to keep thing short as i can while being as decriptive as i can... please do ask questions about my proposal if you're not sure what i want to know...

Note: for those who ask " who would willingly poisen them selves??"

there are a number of people who have purposefully with intent of prevention poisoned them selves...

as i type this i get more ideas.. but i will hold those now this is too long already..
Llama

Post by Llama »

Currently you can only get poisoned if:

I) Someone shoves a bottle of poison down your throat (-_-)
II) Someone attacks you witha posioned weapon
III) You go attack a spider
IV) You eat something bad

Given that, poison is very rare, and when it is used, its used to give more of an effect. So I'd say no to this, because it'd unbalance things.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I don't even think that one can be resistent to poision, sure medication once it gets overused isn't working anymore, but if someone stabs you you won't get "stab resistance" are you?

I see poision as a wound..a wound with a scar, sure scarred skintissue tends to be not as sensetiv as nonscared, but that doesn't mean that you are in any way more resistant against any wounds.

I think one could drink a little poision everyday and that would rather leave him more vulnerable against poisen instead of gaining a strength out of it + the points Hadrian allready mentioned, poision is simply to rare and to powerfull to build an effectiv way to get resistant against it
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

Actually, IRL, you can get more resistant to poision by drinking small amounts every day. It probably takes a long time, though.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Besides, we already have 'Antidotes' which cure the 'fatal' poisons.

Just eating bad food or 'shrooms' will poison you, but it a weak poison, and will disappear if you rest.

Even Poison from mummies is a 'medium' poison and will leave if you rest.

The Poisons I would carry antidote for are from weapons and other players. Even then, the 'chance' of 'being' poisoned is directly related to their skill in "Poisoning", which a VERY HARD skill to increase. Otherwise, it is rather rare to encounter a 'fatal' poison.

Instead of resistance to Poisons, I'd rather see a resistance to Disease! :?
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Juniper Onyx wrote:Instead of resistance to Poisons, I'd rather see a resistance to Disease! :?
Somehow, it appears like one of my chars cannot get sick anymore >.>
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Constitution plays some part in poison resistance doesnt it?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Hmm is constution not more or less "metabolisem"?
If yes, that would mean a higher metabolism transports the poison faster, thus reducing the rsistance..or?
Athian

Post by Athian »

Game wise it's oppisite Pell.

Higher constitution gives you a better chance of suriving poison for longer, since your health regeneration is faster.

However i've never seen even a high constiution PC suvive long enough to have the poison wear off in there system.
Colin Smalls

Post by Colin Smalls »

Juniper Onyx wrote:Besides, we already have 'Antidotes' which cure the 'fatal' poisons.

Just eating bad food or 'shrooms' will poison you, but it a weak poison, and will disappear if you rest.

Even Poison from mummies is a 'medium' poison and will leave if you rest.

The Poisons I would carry antidote for are from weapons and other players. Even then, the 'chance' of 'being' poisoned is directly related to their skill in "Poisoning", which a VERY HARD skill to increase. Otherwise, it is rather rare to encounter a 'fatal' poison.

Instead of resistance to Poisons, I'd rather see a resistance to Disease! :?
You only think this way because your character can use poison. lol
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Currently you can only get poisoned if:

I) Someone shoves a bottle of poison down your throat (-_-)
II) Someone attacks you witha posioned weapon
III) You go attack a spider
IV) You eat something bad

Given that, poison is very rare, and when it is used, its used to give more of an effect. So I'd say no to this, because it'd unbalance things.
I) Someone can do that? :?
III) Also scorpions and to a much lesser degree, mummies.

Also, I'd be willing to have my character poison herself. I'm not sure why, but that appeals to me. :twisted:
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Athian wrote:Game wise it's oppisite Pell.

Higher constitution gives you a better chance of suriving poison for longer, since your health regeneration is faster.
Yes, this is why I was asking myself if it shouldn't be switched, means big buff figther will have a harder time once they are poisioned than "normal" persons, this would also make figthers, who genereally use poison, more usefull wouldn't it?

Means the better the constitituion the faster your health grows, but the worser poison should be applied, as it spreads much faster in your body and thus makes it far more dangerous.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Kamilar wrote: I) Someone can do that? :?
Originally, when we tested out poison for the first time a few years ago; all you could do was use the poisonbottle when someone wasn't looking, and having a chance to poison them that way.

I don't know whether its still around.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I would be more willing to go with poisoned food and otherwise.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Vern Kron wrote:I would be more willing to go with poisoned food and otherwise.
Been suggested many times, the answer is always "We can't do it because of the fact that food stacks", even if meals don't stack and I had suggested a way to get stacked food to work.
HeXiS

Post by HeXiS »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Kamilar wrote: I) Someone can do that? :?
Originally, when we tested out poison for the first time a few years ago; all you could do was use the poisonbottle when someone wasn't looking, and having a chance to poison them that way.

I don't know whether its still around.
yep still works a friend tried it out on me..
Pellandria wrote:
Athian wrote:Game wise it's oppisite Pell.

Yes, this is why I was asking myself if it shouldn't be switched, means big buff figther will have a harder time once they are poisioned than "normal" persons, this would also make figthers, who genereally use poison, more usefull wouldn't it?

Means the better the constitituion the faster your health grows, but the worser poison should be applied, as it spreads much faster in your body and thus makes it far more dangerous.
fast metabolism means two things.. one blood moves faster this can be good or bad depending on the type of poison you have in you for ingested poison it good as it passes away quicker.. for blood poisons it's verry bad as it reaches all the organs faster
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Keunthus wrote:Actually, IRL, you can get more resistant to poision by drinking small amounts every day. It probably takes a long time, though.
That's true. I'm actually resistant to small amounts of food poisoning from eating bad food a lot.

Poison resistance should be something that is possible, but only by poisoning yourself repeatedly over a long period of time.

Sort of like something people who RP assassins or masochists would do.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I think we arrived at the conclusion that poison resistance would be expensive to train up, and would break the game.

Have a nice day.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Poison should be impossible to train, random in the damage it does, and much harder to obtain/make.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:I think we arrived at the conclusion that poison resistance would be expensive to train up, and would break the game.

Have a nice day.
How would it break the game? Mag res didn't...
Llama

Post by Llama »

Because magic resistance is impossible to train without powergaming... its also very useless to train because the next time you're almost dead nobody will heal you.

Now, posion resistance would break the game because it'd make "posioned swords" as useful as their unpoisoned counterparts. Poison is something 'special' right now; but if anyone can resist it, its not really special anymore.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I think if the devs ever intended poison resistance, we would have it. Magic has a counter skill and fighting has two counter skills.

Personally, I agree with Hadrian.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Lrmy wrote: Personally, I agree with Hadrian.
Nods
Olive

Post by Olive »

what if poison resistance simply made the effects dissappear soner, with say, max skill 50% sooner. nothing to shout about by itself but maybe enough that what would kill most people wouldn't kill a grizled veteran whose body has ben exposed to poison before and only leaves him greatly weakened
Llama

Post by Llama »

Normal Weapon: Does X damage
Poisoned Weapon: Does X damage + poison effect

If poison effect --> 50% ; poison weapons will be useless.

Also, it would add another skill to train.

How does a grizzled vet not hurt so much due to poison? Because he'll have great dodge and parry, and wouldn't get hit so often. That's all the resistance you need.

If you don't like poison, take a mage with you.
Q-wert

Post by Q-wert »

I´d like to mention that poison-orientated fighters actually are less effective than the standard-ones.
As Lrmy already said, with a posion resistance we would have 3 Skills to potect a char from poison, what would be a bit too much.
Additionaly one antidote (cost and weight very low) negates a poison hit.

In my opinion a poison resistance would make the fighting system just more unbalanced as it is today.