Private messages ingame.

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Olive

Post by Olive »

its fantasy setting so you need to calm down here, if peopel can train animals to recogize objects why not train a dove to recognize people.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

yes, and why dont teach them to speak or better teach them to summon portals for a faster fly.....

a dove has much to bad eyes and a much to small brain to recognize a people by flying around.

and even IF they could do so, the most chars in illa are wearing the most time helmets or hats or they are in houses or caves. and last but not least, the dove need to know someone to recognize him (not that i mean they could recognize a human person generally. that they can fly home has nothing to do with recognize, it is just instinct)... so you must go first with the dove to the one witch do you wand send a letter, than go back, write the message and let the dove fly....
Last edited by Djironnyma on Fri May 16, 2008 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Juniper Onyx wrote:An idea:

We all RP 'Doves' IG, so why not get a graphic made of a 'Dove' in a cage that you could buy from an NPC, 'use' it, type a 'PM'-like message with Name and message, then 'send'? The Graphic could then change to an 'empty' cage. Empty cages could then be sold back to the NPC for a deposit.

We could even put 'cages' in the 'Carpentry' skill.
We could put 'doves' in with the current "Summoning Spell" or even new "Druid" system someday. A Cage would be needed first and then change to a "Caged Dove" when summoned, ready for use.

The 'dove' appears to the person after a game cycle as an 'emote': ~A Dove arrives with a message for you~ and a Graphic of a 'dove' appears on the ground next to you. Anyone could grab that dove, hehe.

Picking up the 'Dove' will reveal the message. The dove disappears from inventory.
That is a nice idea, it would also have something else for copper to be spent on which may help the economy.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Is that anything to care about?

Maybe Illarion Doves are just intelligent enough to be able to find persons for some reason. I'm sure its possible to find a cool sounding reason within a pretty short time.

But after all its easy just to replace all doves with messenger and fly with carry and instantly we would have many non-existent persons running around handing out letters.

Nitram
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

Seriously, Dji, who cares about the fact that you can't teach a bird like in Harry Potter?
A lot of people send around doves to all their ig friends. Some even have "unique" birds, that some of my chars would recognize before they even unfolded the message. There are small doves, fat doves, brown doves and hawks... all of them different coloured (although there seem to be more and more black birds... somehow...).
Who cares? This is a fantasy game. The birds in Gobaith are magic and therefore more intelligent or whatever... Think of something.

Example: Why should a rabbit have as many entrails as a pig? And why don't you get entrails for every pig you kill, but certainly for every rabbit? That's also illogical. But it does not spoil any fun and so it is suitable for a game like illa.
Thane Godfrey

Post by Thane Godfrey »

Djironnyma wrote:yes, and why dont teach them to speak or better teach them to summon portals for a faster fly.....

a dove has much to bad eyes and a much to small brain to recognize a people by flying around.

and even IF they could do so, the most chars in illa are wearing the most time helmets or hats or they are in houses or caves. and last but not least, the dove need to know someone to recognize him (not that i mean they could recognize a human person generally. that they can fly home has nothing to do with recognize, it is just instinct)... so you must go first with the dove to the one witch do you wand send a letter, than go back, write the message and let the dove fly....
I ABSOLUTELY FUCKING AGREE!

You're a complete genius.

Lets remove ALL races except Humans.

Lets remove magic, druidism and so on.

Lets take out all monsters and only keep animals.

You're so god damn right. /signed /signed
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

This is illa, not runescape.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I absolutly love thanes post : ).
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

*loves thanes post too*
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

that is a discussions, tell your opinion like i done, no reason to be ironic or spam, we are all adult.

Sure Illarion is a fantasy game, but that means not that we must ignore all laws of nature. I have no fun i.g. when some things are to unrealisitk. And that there are unlogical thinks ig (like the rabbits entrails), means not that i like such things ;)

I personally like a more medieval Illarion, others like a more surreal Illarion - so keep cool, no reason to flame around.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I wouldn't mind an IG message-system, as long as certain few conditions are met:

1.) There is a delay of X (five?) minutes before the message can be received (No insta-messaging)
2.) The messaging costs money (5-10cp -> Money sink)
3.) Players can elect not to be reachable by these messages (some setting)
4.) The time elapsed since the message has been sent is announced somewhere in RL hours. Like message date: 21.Olos.8 ((14 hours and 32 minutes ago)) so you actually have a clue if it is urgent or not. :wink:

Seriously, this messaging can be either magical, or doves, or hell.. even magical doves. Nobody cares. That's semantics.

The system could actually help people to find eachother in the game. Nothing is more frustrating than to look for someone who doesn't know you are looking for him/her. :P
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Djironnyma wrote:that is a discussions, tell your opinion like i done, no reason to be ironic or spam, we are all adult.
"ähm - did you know that hte rping of doves is real bullshit? doves can only fly back home..... to a static place.... not to a person you tell them, illarion isnt harry potter, we have only normal doves no uber owls"

Not trying to flame here, but to me this just sounds demeaning, which is not very adult either.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

that wasnt my faith, blame my english skill if you wand
Colin Smalls

Post by Colin Smalls »

I think things are fine as they are.

However i would certainly not mind this idea.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

that is why i write so less in frums i will be ever reduced at this point. In reason of, i dont discus about that in forum general (it will only bring flame), I will not answer, sry.

but... back to topic....
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Thats always the answer one gets if he asks about this either its "I will not answer" or its "Its a quest" yeah a quest that runs like half a year without a change, not answering any of the strange oints always will leave just moe confusion.

But anyway an ig way to find someone or send him some kind of letter without using the pm system sounds great, I ask myself if even "trackign" devices of some sort would be able to script, somone who carrys a ring or such is able to follow someone who has the same ring.