The nasty Wordlist

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

hi
hell
human rights :lol:
3.75 silver
democracy
f|_|ck
Callith

Post by Callith »

Did you actually look into this or did you just make some crap up, the word jeopardise is hundreds of years old, the parent word Jeopardy is even older, it is oringially from a French phrase which meant divided game, which comes from a Latin phrase.
Gregory Hardcast

Post by Gregory Hardcast »

Dude.. what are you talking about. Jeopardise is a rehash of the middle english word juperti. It has been around for about 1000 years, and has always had a similar meaning.

As for the others you highlighted..

okay (agreed)
Oh my God (also agreed. Its pagan society, so it should be gods or the name of a deity)
yeah (i also agree, but your never going to get rid of it, so dont bother :wink: )
Cool (100%. Anyone who says cool ig should be pwned.)
Pwn/own/etc (you can say pawn/own just not in internet/gamer speak.)
Gregory Hardcast

Estralis Seborian wrote:hi
democracy
My character had a massive conversation with Kaelyn over womens rights, people power etc. I was like.. whoa. Karl Marx/germaine Greer rolled into one and before their time. Cool :)
HeXiS

Post by HeXiS »

Sweet! - i use Huzzah! or Awesome! (yes awesome existed also i assume every one on the island that wasnt born there would come from somewhere else..)

as for oh my god some characters who may want to not believe in gods could say "my word", or "oh dear" .. just tossing those in..
Gregory Hardcast

HeXiS wrote:Sweet! - i use Huzzah! or Awesome! (yes awesome existed also i assume every one on the island that wasnt born there would come from somewhere else..)

as for oh my god some characters who may want to not believe in gods could say "my word", or "oh dear" .. just tossing those in..
A character who doesnt believe in gods in illarion doesnt make sense, since the gods make appearances.
Olive

Post by Olive »

but ifthe character has lived in a cave and hasn't personally witnesed suchthings they could demand more than anecdotal rumors to make them believe

*was deletd because it wasn't really a nice addition and didn't need to be added after a bit of thought*
Gregory Hardcast

If a character has spent their entire life in a cave i doubt they would know what anecdotal means XD
Keunthus

Post by Keunthus »

okay. Hmm. Okay could work sometimes, ok, though, ok should not be used.
Oh my God. Agreed.
yeah. Depends on the character. A scoundrel character could use it, a knight should not.
Cool. Agreed.
Pwn/own/etc. Partly agreed. You could say: "I own that cow!" but not "Hah, you just got owned!" or "I own you!". Own was a word before leet, wasn't it?

What about the word Bingo?
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

Silas Farron wrote:Everybody is welcome to add new terms, however, let's be a bit tolerant - There shouldn't be too big discussions.
Back to topic!
Ascius

Post by Ascius »

I don't think a wordlist is a good idea.

It's true that words like cool or pwnt should not be used, but that's Illarion standart since years now.
Languages are quite complex, it's hard to tell which words should be used or not. Real new words like "googeln" (=>to search the internet via Google), which is already an existing and official word in the German Duden (some kind of official language book) would never be used in Illarion in an ig context, anyway. Why? Because there are no search engines available for the characters.

To the problem with democracy. It was not common in medieval times, but mind that it was common in the ancient world. It was born there. Not in the developed form as we have it today, maybe, but it was still democracy. Since Illarion is not a strictly medieval game, but a Fantasy Game, the word might be used - of course not in terms as we understand democracy today.

Coming over to Cool. It's clearly a new word, but in the end nothing else but a word used in a phrase like: "The lich has a cool heart."; "He is a very cool person." The German word "kühl" is quite often used to describe someone who has no heart, despite describing the weather. ;)

What I want to show is that language is too complex to prohibit it's use (despite the fact that it would sound quite strange to newbies - "Please read the prohibited words list first") so we should leave it as it is.
Only sometimes people use language that doesn't fit, which in most cases is only a misunderstanding how to properly use ooc or ig language, and even if someone might start using things like "His crossbow fires bolts as fast as a P90", I'm sure a whole lot of people would rush to correct him.

So there's no need to make up a list. :)

The thing with jeopardise was the British and the American version. That's hard enough. I'm always using an online dictionary when playing, and I often get two versions of words, the BE and the AE version. I mostly chose the BE one, but I also like to vary a bit. ^^
Olive

Post by Olive »

pwn isn't a word, its a computer brat trying to act like he's superior to another

own, to claim ownership, right of sale, etc. this would be correct useage

any other useage would be computer brat language and shoudl be just ignored,

hmmm i GUESS its POSSIBLE some bratty person coudl be threatenenign to make you their slave andthus 'own' you but i think that is just too muchof a stretch and shoudl instead just be squashed like a bug

OMG, and other derrivitives.

i personally do not see a problem here and i will explain why
in most polytheistic cultures people would most closely associate with maybe oen or two thatthey would most closely worhsip and such, meaning that they would tend to see that as their 'primary' god or goddess and would use a singular refrence. I think the direct useage shoudl probably be DISCOURAGED, as better phrases could be found, but certainlya priest of a single god could be expected to talk about god(ess) in a singular manner.

'okay' and 'yeah' these words shoudl be avoided with a few exceptions in my opinion. If your character has a 'proper' upbrining then you prolly wouldn't use them favoring more aristocratic sounding languages IE, the big words. But i think it is more than adequate for a dumb farm girl , like say..Olive.. to use such languae as the more gruntish type replies is more accurate tothe languae diffrerence between peasants and noblility if on no other basis then lack of schooling.

cool/kewl/kool uh.. yea lets not go there. if you arent refering to teperature... i cant imagine there is a disagreement about this

well, those are my two coppers worth
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

As long as I know there is allready a bad wordlist isn't there..allthosepeoplewho use "bad" words get thrown on the watch list :P
Gregory Hardcast

Olive.

Oh my 'God' shouldnt be allowed, because it is a direct reference to Judeao/Christianity, in that their god is called 'God'. So essentially your saying, oh my *Christian/Judeao God concept*. In polytheistic societies, they would use the god's name. Otherwise saying oh my god is pointless as the gods dont know which one of them you are reffering to.

So yeah, never say oh my God in illarion imo.
Ascius

Post by Ascius »

Oh and something else.. please mind that the people in the past have not all spoken the fine language we use in Illarion today. They knew utterly less words than we do today, and about 90% were not even able to write.

Cursing language? They used it frequently. In the ancient town Pompeii all the walls were 'graffitied' with cursing words about politicians and such. I think we are behaving much more polite ig than the people of the past world did. I don't believe in the past a peasant would have said: "My lord, I would like to recommend you to not touch my crops or otherwise I might harm you.", but rather "Get off me field you fooking son of a pig!"
Gregory Hardcast

Ascius wrote:Oh and something else.. please mind that the people in the past have not all spoken the fine language we use in Illarion today. They knew utterly less words than we do today, and about 90% were not even able to write.

Cursing language? They used it frequently. In the ancient town Pompeii all the walls were 'graffitied' with cursing words about politicians and such. I think we are behaving much more polite ig than the people of the past world did. I don't believe in the past a peasant would have said: "My lord, I would like to recommend you to not touch my crops or otherwise I might harm you.", but rather "Get off me field you fooking son of a pig!"
Romans were filthy b***ards. :P
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Pellandria wrote:As long as I know there is allready a bad wordlist isn't there..allthosepeoplewho use "bad" words get thrown on the watch list :P
Yeah, so stop cocking your head and howling with a ghastful voice :lol:.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Yarrr, ye lice-infested son of a scalawag swabbie ! *g*

Curse languague should definitely be shifted to "colorful". While phrases like "get lost, asshole" or alike ALWAYS have the bad side effect to sound like you also insult the player behind the char, phrases like "move your stinkin' behinds out of my yard" are not so easily mistaken.
In general, the more colorful and medieval-themed your ingame swear words are, the smaller is the chance that you accidentally insult the player behind the char.

No person playing would(should?), for example, take "I'll polish yer ugly face with me fist, ye arse-smellin' swine !" as a personal OOC insult.
Of course, except if you use it during an OOC discussion - things that must also be totally avoided INGAME.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

A character who doesnt believe in gods in illarion doesnt make sense, since the gods make appearances.
I've yet to see a God ingame.
Olive

Post by Olive »

its one thing for peopel to say the gods have roame dthe land, after all thats what priests do, claim various thinsg are divine acts. however it is NOT unusual for peopel to question the validity of such claims as time wears on, or even discount certain things as superstition.

in the middle ages people who had some measure of medicine were killed as fast as they were exposed for being witches since the catholic church at the time felt it was the only group that was allowed to offer miracles. Now we know more about mediine and opinios have changed.. is a classic tsurggle between those who eblieve versus those that either refuse to, or demand somethign to personally inspire them for them to believe. Not everybody just nods their head and accepts everthing the noblility spouted at them, if they did there never woudl have been and rebellions and such.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

@Ascius and Democracy
Yes, there was democracy of some sort during the ancient era. However, this kind of democracy, and the typical illarion-prevalent “equality of everyone regardless of race, gender or status and universal suffrage for all!”-attitude share very little together.

The major differences?

Voting rights were limited to a group of select few people, namely the citizen males. Foreigners did not enjoy the full benefits of democracy, freemen did not, and slaves (who were common even in Athens) did most certainly not. Now throw in some elves, dwarves and orcs.. and imagine what rights they would have. Or imagine slaves in Illarion. Sheesh, the slave owner would last about thirty seconds.. Unless it was Silas. :P

So while ancient Athens, for instance, was democratic, it was so only within the ruling class of full citizen males. The entire society itself was hardly democratic, and the democracy was nothing like we have today in Illarion or in real life (I think that Illarion is more democratic than most of the western societies today.. :P). :wink:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

My char got shouted at and made a group of people go mental declaring that everyone is equal and that he is incredibly sexist and should die or something because someone told him to clean up the floor and he said "You do it; you're the woman".
Ascius

Post by Ascius »

I know, Crommy, that's why I wrote "not to understand it as we understand it today."

Even the fact that there were slaves in the ancient world make their democracy look different than ours today.

@Silas: There is, that's why people are discussing. Although I still think that even the existance of a list of words which are recommended not to use will make things way too complicated, and scare off newbies.
Gregory Hardcast

Olive wrote:its one thing for peopel to say the gods have roame dthe land, after all thats what priests do, claim various thinsg are divine acts. however it is NOT unusual for peopel to question the validity of such claims as time wears on, or even discount certain things as superstition.

in the middle ages people who had some measure of medicine were killed as fast as they were exposed for being witches since the catholic church at the time felt it was the only group that was allowed to offer miracles. Now we know more about mediine and opinios have changed.. is a classic tsurggle between those who eblieve versus those that either refuse to, or demand somethign to personally inspire them for them to believe. Not everybody just nods their head and accepts everthing the noblility spouted at them, if they did there never woudl have been and rebellions and such.
Well.. maybe.. if this was medieval europe etc. The gods do make appearances in the game, there is no question as to whether they are there -_-

Basically any character in game who starts talking about 'false gods' etc is going to look foolish. Nothing stopping you though #me shrugs
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Gregory Hardcast wrote:
Olive wrote:its one thing for peopel to say the gods have roame dthe land, after all thats what priests do, claim various thinsg are divine acts. however it is NOT unusual for peopel to question the validity of such claims as time wears on, or even discount certain things as superstition.

Well.. maybe.. if this was medieval europe etc. The gods do make appearances in the game, there is no question as to whether they are there -_-

Basically any character in game who starts talking about 'false gods' etc is going to look foolish. Nothing stopping you though #me shrugs
In my whole time playing, I've yet to see a direct effect or presence of one of the listed Gods. Never have any of my characters ever seen God in the game as a physical being nor controlled by another player.
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

well.... are gods real then or are they not??? *total confused*
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Rhianna Morgan wrote:well.... are gods real then or are they not??? *total confused*
The point was that playing one who believes in a singular deity or none at all is not bad roleplay nor is it stupid to have such a character.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

We have magic or?
We got people shouting spells left and right, that is the "gods power" I think playing someone who does ~not~ believe gods at all..that is just bad roleplay, the simple exstence of demons and dragons should be more than a sign that gods really exist, no matter if one see's them.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Your character should be allowed to believe whatever they want in terms of gods. The more flexibility, the better.

Personally though, i find atheist characters (in medieval settings) boring and unrealistic, so id rather people didnt play them. Should definitely be allowed though.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Pellandria wrote:We have magic or?
We got people shouting spells left and right, that is the "gods power" I think playing someone who does ~not~ believe gods at all..that is just bad roleplay, the simple exstence of demons and dragons should be more than a sign that gods really exist, no matter if one see's them.
Magic is not a direct proof of Gods or God, but explaining it as such. This outlook as only produced as less spectacular religious foundation where people murmuring a God's name is proof of faith.