Axe skill

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Colin Smalls

Axe skill

Post by Colin Smalls »

This topic has probably been discussed, i dont really know, but i really feel that axes should come under their own skill (maybe 'cleaving', or something, not sure).

They are as different a weapon to swords as maces etc are, and it really annoys me how someone skilled with swords can then pick up an axe and use it like a master. It should be its own skill. I like this, since axes are dangerous, but only (currently anyway) if the user is very skilled. Someone starting out in the skill has little use for them, and i think this adds another dimension to the fighter, in that to become a skilled axeman is a harder, but possibly more rewarding path to go down. To clarify, this means that after a certain skill level, axes suddenly become much more useful. However up to that point they are weaker and slower than other weapons.

Id also like (if it isnt already, again, not sure) for the role of strength in two handed weapons to be doubled. This means, single weapon with strength bonus gets +4 (or whatever) and two hander gets +8

I really think the fighting system needs changing up. It keeps churning out fighters far too similar in style, and maybe stuff like this could help.
So yeah, i really think axes should come under their own skill. It makes sense for both realism and i think it helps ig.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

For sure, two handed weapons aren't much good. I assure you, get hit with a single weapon, then get hit with a two handed weapon, you will change your mind Nitram! :wink:

My character is much better with conc weapons (quite high), but two swords are better than a war hammer . A gross insult to the laws of physics I think. :P
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Yes the figthing system needs changes, but I allready said in another topic that I think that special weapons should have special "effects" and I don'tmean the strength at this point.

Something like A warhammer gives you a higher chance of destroying the enemys armour if its metal, a serinja sword gives you a better chance to parry an attack and so on, this way people would have certaint figthing styles instead ofeveryone just using the weapon, which deals the most damage.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

what if, just throwing about ideas, the person who just starts out with an axe if said axe skill is created, if you have say a very high concussion skill and a very high slashing skill, they kinda are used together to make the person axe skill stronger as axes have a blades like slashing weapons, but have much weight to them like concussion weapons. Atleast it seems like a good idea to me...
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

I like the idea of a "Cleaving" skill!

Axes do not just 'slash'.....they 'cleave'! They chop off arms, legs, genitilia, etc.

It is very difficult to cut off anything with a sword, but an axe uses 'Gravity' and force to directly 'cleave' a limb from its owner!

The unused "Executioner's Axe" is the perfect example. It can 'cleave' a Head from it's owner on a chopping block, but would be "VERY" hard, even ridiculous to fence with like a sword! They are definitely different fighting styles.

There are plenty of Axes IG. Yes, Axes should be a new skill "Cleaving" or "Axemanship" or "Butchering" or something. I like this idea.
:D
Olive

Post by Olive »

what if you split some of the weaponry up based upon the weapons design

such as 1-h swords, 1-h handled (axes, mace, mornign star, etc)
then two handed

then staves and such

hanlded and hafted weapons are just handled differently than a sword and really shouldn't usethe same skill set

for instance, A hammer and an axe are swung very similarly, where as a sword's arc is much different based upon the weapons physical size, the blades 'sweet spot' and the skill of the user.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I think we should have the following skills:

Dagger
Rapier
Sword
Axe
Two-handed
One-handed
Sword and Shield
Crossbow
Bow
Parry
Morning star
Dodge
Tactics
Short sword
Mace

Ok, I'm not serious. We don't need many changes on the fighting system. Anything added to it is icing on the cake. Two-handed weapons are extremely dangerous if you have the right skills. If you don't, they are still quite strong. Double axes and dwarven axes are both extremely strong in game.

The proposal is really not needed. Axes are strong enough and if you want to RP an axe-master, then do it.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Lrmy wrote:Ok, I'm not serious. We don't need many changes on the fighting system. Anything added to it is icing on the cake. Two-handed weapons are extremely dangerous if you have the right skills. If you don't, they are still quite strong. Double axes and dwarven axes are both extremely strong in game.
We have a ton of swords and a ton of axes which are never used.

I'd put axes as being hard to parry with, but very powerful in terms of damage.

Just to have a bit more change than 'two serinjah swords'
==
On an unrelated note : What on earth is a "poisoned executor's axe" ?
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

A piece of crap, Hadrian.
Anyway, my sons. I leave you with this: it's all in the stats! All in the stats... Your attributes will determine very largely if youre good at one or other specific weapon. Of course, there are weapons that simply suck, but they are easier to get.
bdgdkay wrote: if you have say a very high concussion skill and a very high slashing skill, they kinda are used together to make the person axe skill stronger as axes have a blades like slashing weapons, but have much weight to them like concussion weapons.
Well that is kind of like saying that if a person's skill at fishing is as good as his skill in making fish soup, then he should be a good swimmer, because fish can both swim well and taste good.
Concussion and slashing are different styles, and you have to choose which style you're currently fighting in. For one, in concussion style, stabs are absent, and precision is very secondary. You hit to crush.
Parrying is also not to be worried about when you're using a mace.
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

well, if you look at the axe, it is exactly like a concussion weapon, with the longer handle and the weight with the most damagingpart of the weapon at the top, but, the thing that holds it apart from the concussion weapons is the fact there is a blade on it. What im really trying to say is that there are some of us who have been usingaxes for a long time, but if the axe skill if created, then we will have to completely restart learning it, so i figure if you combine the two skills that best make up the axe, that would give the current axe wielders an advantage as they have beenusing them for a long time
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

bdgdkay wrote:well, if you look at the axe, it is exactly like a concussion weapon, with the longer handle and the weight with the most damagingpart of the weapon at the top, but, the thing that holds it apart from the concussion weapons is the fact there is a blade on it. What im really trying to say is that there are some of us who have been usingaxes for a long time, but if the axe skill if created, then we will have to completely restart learning it, so i figure if you combine the two skills that best make up the axe, that would give the current axe wielders an advantage as they have beenusing them for a long time
The proposal is really not needed. Axes are strong enough and if you want to RP an axe-master, then do it.
Hadrian_Abela wrote: I'd put axes as being hard to parry with, but very powerful in terms of damage.
This is already true.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Axes are a different skill to swords and concussion weapons, and so should realistically have to be learnt seperately.

However it is a fantasy game and realism doesnt matter that much. Nothing else to add really..
Athian

Post by Athian »

Axe skill= Cleaving weapons.

As Sundo said entirely different from slashing and concussion. There are enough axes though to make them a seperate skill though. i still see some possibility in the idea, but alot of scripting time too it.

Throwing axe
long axe
Halberd
Orc axe
Heavy battle axe
double axe
Executioners axe
Magical long axe
poisoned Executioners axe
waraxe

and i can't think of the rest, anyone?
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Axes should be concussion weapons, like in the elder scrolls series (I think) theyre prolly more a mix of slashing and concussion, but if axes were considered concussion weapons, wed see much more concussion users I think;)
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Daelyn wrote:but if axes were considered concussion weapons, wed see much more concussion users I think;)
Nope. People would still be messing up their stats and finding them to suck or they would still say "MAKE THEM BETTER".

I'm wondering here, what is the point? I mean, it isn't like we are using baking and mining as the same skill. Different stats already make us better with different weapons. We already have three main weapon styles. Unless something like this has been/is being worked on, I cannot see justifying that much time on a new skill just because some people don't want to use "slashing" when using an axe. Your character doesn't know any difference anyhow. To them there are no skills. They just get better with more practice.