better slings

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

CJK
Developer

better slings

Post by CJK »

I have noticed that almost noone uses slings because for range arrows are better. Well here are some ways\reasons to make them better.

In RL if you hit someone with a sling in the right spot you can K.O. them.
To K.O. ig you can just freeze the person sort of like with the coup de grace type of thing.

You should be able to make it so you can hit a heavy blow that practically disables where you hit. Example: "#me lands a heavy blow against his opponents hands." this would make it so that one of your hands works slower for a period of lets say.... 10 seconds. Then of course if you hit their leg then when they try to walk away it slows them down. Chest same effect as with any other weapon.

Thanks!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Actually slings already have enough good points, namely that the ammo is dead cheap. Stuff like this I don't like. In RL you can shoot someone in the eye with an arrow .: Instakill
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

have you ever shot a bulls eye with a longbow and wooden arrow? if not than you cnt hit a person in the eye with an arrow unless you have high ranged skill
Llama

Post by Llama »

ltgmkay wrote:if not than you cnt hit a person in the eye with an arrow unless you have high ranged skill
In RL if you hit someone with a sling in the right spot you can K.O. them
they both seem to require a degree of skill.

Slings will do less damage, just like in real life. And stones VS armor is a bit of a problem ;)
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

an arrow fired from a long-bow can pierce most armor, a rock from a sling would probably break

but I do like the idea of heavy blows actually damaging the area for an amount of time, legs = slower movement, hands = slower attacks, head = slower movement and attack...might be hard to program but I like the idea

also eyes aren't the only place you can hit someone with an arrow for an instant kill, and though I've never fired a long-bow, bow hunting isn't that hard
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Advent of heavier armor phased out the slinger in medieval times. Not much good but for practice and hunting of animals.

@Thisguy: http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic ... mail+tests
Michael Edelson wrote:Where the jack rally shines is against arrows. Even a 10 layer jack stopped my arrows cold, and I believe medieval bodkins wouldn’t fare any better. These tests have gone a long way towards convincing me that the jack was used primarily as a defense against arrows.
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

not many people use cloth...and the arrows did go right through the metals(most of them) and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only tailor who wouldn't mind if the jacks were added :D

of course since they're designed to be worn under armor maybe there would have to be a client update to add a 2nd layer for padding, and if its added I'd like to see a slot for a lizard's tail also. small plates with spikes on the side would be nice to use if fighting :twisted:
Colin Smalls

Post by Colin Smalls »

The medieval longbow was so hard to use people in wales and england who grew up using them actually developed deformed shoulders and upper arms. No joke.

If a random guy from our time tried to use them, they probably wouldnt even pull the string a quarter of the way back.
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

archers in England used 150-200 lb bows, and trained daily drawing those bows and firing at targets...so yes they overpowered thier arms and messed up thier shoulders.

the typical longbow is 50-100 lbs draw weight average hunting long bow would be around 70 lbs not so hard to draw back unless you're very weak, and even then you could use a bow with a lower draw weight while you strengthened your arms(I think they make 35 lbs bows for kids)

and an arrow fired from a long bow would easily penetrate most types of armor and to bring it back on topic, a rock from a sling would simply smash into bits hitting a piece of metal(or even a larger rock) I think thats why arrows cost more than stones and bows are more effective than slings...would be nice if you could throw the rocks though
Olive

Post by Olive »

the only thign i woudl add is thatthe impact from a sling missle has probably more kinetic energy than from an arrow. sure the arrow is more likely to score a wound, butthe sling bullet could knock its targetoff its feet which in a brawl is as good as a killshot.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I must say..a sling is much less effectiv than a bow, this is why they stopped using slings in times where armors got thicker.

The only good thing about slings is the vast ammo, it should be not superior over bows or crossbows, because it simply isn't, even using a sling is hard work, you might want to try it and build your own sling, maybe even just out of a few pieces of cloth.
Aiming is harder than with a normal bow, unless using a slingshot and the stone itself is probaply not the best to penetrate armor, as a matter of fact to much of the Stones "body"would hit the armor, thus the force itself divides over a bigger place isntead in simply one point, as it is with arrows, the reason behind this is simple, a force that has to work over a bigger point of impact is significently lowered than a force that is combined in one single point, thats also the reason why many warhammers have a blunt side and the other side is "pickax" like.
Colin Smalls

Post by Colin Smalls »

Slings are good. I think they should be made more powerful, however i also think they should be made useless against armor.

You should also change the system so ranged weapons users need to get to a certain skill level before they can use bows.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Colin Smalls wrote:You should also change the system so ranged weapons users need to get to a certain skill level before they can use bows.
Something like this was discussed, but currently, it is not an option. Of course, currently, one can equip the best armor and weapon right from the beginning and there is no need to care about low level stuff like e.g. chain mail or a club. Maybe, one day, the devs will change something on this.

IMHO, slings shall remain one of the worst distance weapons, but the cheap ammo should compensate this. You know, when it takes e.g. 10 rocks to smash a skeleton instead of 6 arrows, well, not that bad, eh? And, having a look at the stats, slings aren't bad, they are just a bit slow. Just test with the pigs and compare with e.g. a short bow...
Ivar Kraftimarm

Post by Ivar Kraftimarm »

comparing slings with bows is like comparing daggers and waraxes. a dagger is never as good as a waraxe in a open battlefield. but if you're very near to your opponent or inside of small caves, houses etc., they're very effective.

the advantage of a sling is the price. a sling is easy to make and the ammo is very cheap.
you can't shoot as far as a bow and the damage is low compared with a bow.

related to this i see no need to change slings. thats my oppinion :wink:
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

i was just looking up where to get sling ammo and found this. to improve slings how about different ammo?
metal slugs instead of stone: more weight= more damage
or for when alchemy comes back small explosive that explode on contact. maybe in small glass balls made from glass blowing with a lid tied on. the liquid and glass would still similar weight to a stone so only slightly less damage + whatever effect the potion inside has.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:i was just looking up where to get sling ammo and found this. to improve slings how about different ammo?
metal slugs instead of stone: more weight= more damage
or for when alchemy comes back small explosive that explode on contact. maybe in small glass balls made from glass blowing with a lid tied on. the liquid and glass would still similar weight to a stone so only slightly less damage + whatever effect the potion inside has.
"Where to get sling ammo" -> Grab the rock from mining, take a chisel and hammer to it, and you'll get pebbles as 'waste', you use the pebbles.

Regard the rest of the post.

Slings do not NEED to be improved, that's what bows are for. If you want to pay for ammunition, just use a bow. Slings are the cheap-person's ranged weapon, so you don't cough up tons of cash in the beginning and waste all your arrows.
Tanistian_Kanea

didn't say they needed to, i was giving a suggestion for those that wanted them improved. metal slugs would still be very cheap anyway. the expensive ones would be the glass ones but again only a suggestion.
Tanistian_Kanea

i know this is old but wile looking for tips on building and using slings i came across a wiki on them. one of the things it has is a section on amunition where it says this
The best ammunition was cast from lead. Leaden sling-bullets were widely used in the Greek and Roman world. For a given mass, lead, being very dense, offers the minimum size and therefore minimum air resistance. In addition, leaden sling-bullets are small and difficult to see in flight.
for illarion this would mean more damage and less dodge.
here is the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_(weapon)
edit: this is just what i was thinking when i suggested metal slugs. yes right now slings are just used for cheap practice but why not make them an actual weapon to be used in wars like the where in history.
Illarion

Post by Illarion »

Estralis Seborian wrote:
Colin Smalls wrote:You should also change the system so ranged weapons users need to get to a certain skill level before they can use bows.
Something like this was discussed, but currently, it is not an option. Of course, currently, one can equip the best armor and weapon right from the beginning and there is no need to care about low level stuff like e.g. chain mail or a club. Maybe, one day, the devs will change something on this.

IMHO, slings shall remain one of the worst distance weapons, but the cheap ammo should compensate this. You know, when it takes e.g. 10 rocks to smash a skeleton instead of 6 arrows, well, not that bad, eh? And, having a look at the stats, slings aren't bad, they are just a bit slow. Just test with the pigs and compare with e.g. a short bow...

Just want to point out that no one should try to use bows or slings on a skeleton as you are just wating your ammo. Skeletons are very resistant to these sorts of things as it...PASSES RIGHT THROUGH THEM....fyi
Llama

Post by Llama »

Tanistian_Kanea wrote:i know this is old but wile looking for tips on building and using slings i came across a wiki on them. one of the things it has is a section on amunition where it says this
The best ammunition was cast from lead. Leaden sling-bullets were widely used in the Greek and Roman world. For a given mass, lead, being very dense, offers the minimum size and therefore minimum air resistance. In addition, leaden sling-bullets are small and difficult to see in flight.
for illarion this would mean more damage and less dodge.
here is the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_(weapon)
edit: this is just what i was thinking when i suggested metal slugs. yes right now slings are just used for cheap practice but why not make them an actual weapon to be used in wars like the where in history.
I shall repeat this again.

If I want to use a weapon, which allows me to:

I) Make ammunition using a process
II) Scale ammunition/damage depending on how many funds I have at the moment

I choose ARCHERY. Since we have a lot of bows, and 2 kinds of arrows.

If I want to practice using a weapon which has amazingly cheap ammunition which most people throw away, I choose slings.

If I add 'lead bullets' to slings, and am willing to pay for their manufactor, I should have just bought arrows and become an archer.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:2 kinds of arrows