Nobility

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Nobility

Post by Llama »

Once upon a time there was an idea to put 'nobility points', to allow people to buy expensive (and otherwise useless) rubbish for points.

I decided to expand on this idea, and here's my idea of it all.

I understand some of this will require a client change, but... fair enough.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Introduction: Every character will have a hidden number which represents how many nobility points he or she has. These nobility points are used to gain 'nobility levels', and increase and decrease depending on factors as below.

Noble Levels: To increase a level, you need to gain enough points. The amount of points isn't static, it instead tries to keep things in a bell graph fashion (with 'commoner' in the middle). However its calculated separately for each race (so as to not disadvantage some races over others). So for each race you would have mostly commoners, but then a few nobles. The levels are:

Serf , Commoner, Lower Nobility, True Nobility, Blue blood.

Obviously these names may be different for each race, as is the perception of them. Ascension/Descent to a level needs at least 3 RL days; so you wont be talking to a person who suddenly turns noble.

Increasing the Level:

Below are some actions/items which can increase the level, there's also a 'cap' which is how much (maximum) they can give you each day if you have the best of the best. Moreover, willpower helps increase the amount.

Items: The most obvious way to increase nobility is to dress up like a noble. Wearing clothes will (each cycle) increase your nobility up to a certain cap, the cap depends on the quality of the clothes multiplied by their state, multiplied by a value which is different for each item.

Clothes should also degrade, their state should go down over time, HOWEVER the only thing that will be lost will be nobility points, nothing else. So if you're a mage who bought a new wardrobe of clothes for the alledged bonus to magic, they'll still give you the same bonus, even when they turn tattered. Clothes keep the same quality though.

Jewlery works in the same way (no degradation though), and the above helps encourage fighters to take off their armor from time to time and stay wearing (expensive) clothes ;)

Cap: High

Good Food and Drink: Eating the finest foods available, and drinking the rarest wines is a good statement about your riches.

This gives a use to brewing, and also helps sales for expensive food.

Cap: Medium.

Sibanac: Arrr.

Cap: Low
-
Also there is a limit (both upper and lower) to how many points you can gain or lose.
===
Decreasing the amount

Obviously certain actions will reduce people's perception of your nobility.

Wearing rubbish clothes: Wearing low quality (bad or worse) clothes gives people a bad impression of you, and they slowly and gradually degrade the amount of nobility points you have. The amount depends on the (inverse quality * inverse state * a constant different for each item).

Cap: High

Eating rubbish food: Apples and other fruits make a good meal, but its not something a noble would eat.

Cap: Medium

Death: Self Explanatory

Cap: Medium

Crafting: (This may seem strange). A noble does not do any work, so its not a good image to see a person dirty himself with soot, or sawdust when he works like a commoner. Each finished good gives nobility a small kick down. This penalty is removed for exceptionally good work (think some sort of legendary swordsmith)

Time: Time should remove points on its own. -d(points)/dt should be dependant on how many points you have already.
=
Use:

More Purchases possible: NPCs should have 2 sets of stocks, one which they sell to everyone, and the other only to important people. So for example if eliza has 3 metal gloves, anyone can buy them, but if a noble talks to her, he might be able to buy 5 instead, as she'd make an effort (checking in her stores ect...) to give an important person his wishes.

'Boss' Monsters: Some dungeons should have 'boss' monsters, which are reachable only through talking to an NPC ('servant of the boss') who then teleports them. The boss would only fight people of a certain degree of nobility, since the others aren't worth its time.

Housing: Nobles should be able to have larger houses then the others

Player Interpretation: The names (Someone 12345) should be coloured differently depending on the nobility. This shows that your character has noticed that the person is a noble from his actions and clothes; and is expected to RP it appropriately. The rest is left up to the players.

---
Discuss.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Well, i think you should be able to decide for yourself whether you want to rp a 'noble' character, and it shouldnt give you any direct benefits ig, nor should it be like a skill where you gain points.

No offense, it obviously looks like a well thought out idea, but people who want to rp noble characters shouldnt have to wear certain clothes or eat certain foods. I prefer things the way they are. Nobility, class etc is all something which can be dealt with via rp in game, and it doesnt require any of this.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I believe that you should notice the nobility from the actions/reputation/position of the character, not through.. point collection and consumption.

Considering the rewards, well.. just stop for a moment and consider what types of players the system would attract, and what short of characters would be the "Dukes" and whatever. Such systems which are NOT based on the character itself or the interaction of characters are for me worth the same as background nobility (diddly squat, unless it is played well).

How many characters there are with astonishingly high and mighty background (simply because it is cool) but have manners which do not hint to such background to the slightest?

No for a cool point system. Let's just play it..
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

If I'm honest, I don't see much use in this, it reminds me somehow of normal games, but let me explain further.

Purchases: we allready have people who can almost craft everything, I don't think this is usefull unless you want to sell really rare noncraftable items.

Monster: ahh please no..not only that this reminds me of mainstream games like ragnarok and such, but it also seems to be strange that a servant should allow someone to his boss, it just smells like the MVP's from ragnarok.

Housing: as long as I know you can build everything as long as you have enough money and seriously, isn't this all about it, everyone rich enough to build bigger houses should have some kind of "status" ig allready.

Different Names: Ughh I allready imagen people running around with rainbow coloured names because its "thihihi pretty ^^"

well after the cons lets look at the pros.

It seems to be a good way to get money out of the economy, if npcs only sell certaint jewlery, which can not be crafted by anyone else (imports from the mainland) or if crafting one of those items need a certaint rare item, which makes them just valuable enough.

Conclusion: for me it looks more like "a funny thing to have" not something that is actually usefull enough to be built into the game, if there would be more usefull effects and/or something that regulates the nobles, lets say a randomized action, so every char has the chance to "become" noble at some point, if they don't take the chance they loose this status forever and stay commoner , after a certaint "noble" number is reached noone else can become one untill noble chars stay inactiv, I would hate to see people run around with noble status, while they are not able to play the role of such good enough.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Pellandria wrote:but it also seems to be strange that a servant should allow someone to his boss, it just smells like the MVP's from ragnarok.
Never played ragnarok, but I set it this way so the servant is an NPC (which can't be attacked but can be talked to), which leads to the master who is just a creature (which can be attacked)
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

as a tailor I love this idea...its almost impossible to give clothes away sometimes(and yes I often give clothes away when I'm trying to clear space in my depot)

though I do see some parts about it I'd like changed:

crafting lowering your status- means only fighters will be noble, there should maybe be a merchant class(burgesses I think its called{can only find the French version}) slightly lower than true nobility but higher than lower nobility so crafters also have the oppurtunity to have some type of stature

purchases- maybe a noble gets a discount based on thier station. Selling to nobility was a way of becoming well known so shop keepers would often give them discounts, not too much just a bit so things stay fair

rubbish foods- already used for the constitution bonus, the main problem I see with this is theres no where to find what food is rubbish for each race(my lizards only eat fish I've never gotten a bonus atleast that I know)
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

There are some much better ways to make clothes useful to amuse you whiny tailors, you can bet any bodypart you please on that. :P
ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy »

I'll wager my tail...its in my depot :P mind telling us a few ways?
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

How about this: Relabel the idea "Luxury Points" instead of "Nobility". A luxury points system has already been planned, what bonuses were planned I don't know. Name color idea isn't bad, I don't care for the generic colors. Copper,silver, and gold names would be better me thinks, or indicative symbols next to the name dependent on class level.
Silverwolf

Re: Nobility

Post by Silverwolf »

Hadrian_Abela wrote: Cap: High

Good Food and Drink: Eating the finest foods available, and drinking the rarest wines is a good statement about your riches.
If that would fix, my dwarven mastersmith would be a blue blood. :D
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

good food doesn't mean stuffing yourself with rabbit meat..
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Sounds stressful, besides.. We havent even got a good fighting system, and hardly an archery system at all. I guess I can see where youre coming from, cause we kinda need some controll over characters. As it is there are too many noble, good looking chars around I supose. Just.. this isnt the way to go. Also, an "examine" system is being worked on, so that you can see what others are wearing. This will encourage use of fine clothing I think.

You've got loads of good ideas Hadrian, but I really dont think this is one of them;)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Daelyn wrote:Also, an "examine" system is being worked on, so that you can see what others are wearing.
Been 'worked on' for ages, when is it coming?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Daelyn wrote:Also, an "examine" system is being worked on, so that you can see what others are wearing.
Client update >_> .
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Loooong before this system you suggest can be implemented:P