Handcuffs

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Evan Ross

Handcuffs

Post by Evan Ross »

I think that guards need some way to arrest criminals. As it is now, People are walking into town, Attacking people, Then running without any fear of being caught. Guards have no way of arresting people without their co-operation even if there are say, 6 guards and one criminal. The only thing they can do is cloud the person, and about a minute later they well be back attacking again. I would like to propose that some kind of handcuffs are something like them are implemented making the target "Stick" to the user for an amount of time, This could be used after a target is "Knocked Down" instead of killing them. This way guards and such would be able to arrest people and criminals wouldn't run into town fearlessly.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Interesting. yet good idea.....

It could be an 'item' that is used on a person. The item could 'paralyze' the 'criminal' a specified amount of time depending on a Guard's skill in something like "Wrestling"? Something like 1 RL second per level of Wrestling? It could give another use to an otherwise 'underpowered' skill.

Once time runs out, the person 'breaks free' with an emote like the current "Flu Virus" eg. "The Prisoner slips his hands out of the Handcuffs" and tries to flee! We must have a chance for the prisoner to escape to avoid totally forced jailings.

An opposite item could be "Lockpicks". We used to have them, but now just GM's use them. If handcuffs become implemented, I recommend bringing back 'lockpicks' to counter the handcuffs.

But during that 'handcuffed' time, the Guards could 'push' the character toward Jail. Hopefully fast enough to get him jailed.

Handcuffs could be granted only to 'Leaders" like keys.

Lockpicks should be 'very' rare to obtain. Maybe only by a quest?

It could work, right?

Comments?
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

I love the idea.. How about if the guards use this item with a knocked out char, which paralyses it and makes him follow the guard. Of course that the criminal will have every x seconds a chance to get away, chance depending on some attributes and maybe on wresling as it was already said, but my idea is that after a guard uses the handcuffs with the criminal, if another guards do the same, his chances of escape decrease dramaticly.
After the prisoner was dragged into jail, the first guard uses the handcuffs on the man again and he is released, remaining a few seconds still paralised, to allow the guards to safely close the door.
Joxia Doral

handcuffs

Post by Joxia Doral »

Sounds like a very good idea.
Joxia
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

I just think the knock out timer should be more than 10 seconds. More like a few minutes.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Konrad Knox wrote:I just think the knock out timer should be more than 10 seconds. More like a few minutes.
Nah.....A few minutes is 'eternity' IG. I think the time should be variable somehow. Adds to the suspense.

I believe the "Wrestling" ability should determine length of time (1 sec per level= 1sec to 120 seconds). Some Guards are "Clumsy" and may put cuffs on too loose, and veterans will know how best to cuff a guy. Two minutes should be ample time to push a criminal to the Jail in TB.

Either way, we should never "Force" a criminal "NO WAY" out of a situation. There's always a way. Adds to the chase.

Also think about what will happen if the handcuffs get taken from Guards? We really don't want criminals using them against us with no way to get out of them?
Rhianna Morgan

Post by Rhianna Morgan »

I really love this idea and think it will
a) work and
b) increase the rp fun a lot when it comes to criminals-guards-scenes.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Well, why would the bad guys not be able to use handcuffs? It's a perfect Rp thing :)
I think that insted of asking for a whole new item, we could have the rope do all this stuff. Simplier for the devs, making this proposal more doable.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Instead of pushing (which is irritating) is it possible to have the other person work like a cow? automatically follows the guard?

And I'd like it if while he's handcuffed, any other guard who shifts click on him gets a chance to add his or her 'handcuff effect' to it.

So one guard, you might escape if you're lucky, but more then one should be almost impossible.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

why not simply use ropes as a temporary handcuff and I think just powering up wrestling for that migt be useless, like its not allready hard enough to chase those damm criminals while they flee all the time, I guess a set time of 2 minutes is good enough , let the chars follow the one who "handcuffs" him or her like a cow.

I know now people will say "Ohh that is abuseable" but in my opinion..those hunting down chase and such are ridicoulus, just yesterday 3 or 4 people hunted down 1 criminal he didn't stop even as he was casted on, which normally would hurt enough to slow down, so there should be some kind of item, maybe when several people use it at the same time, that should slow down a person, maybe something like a "middleaged tazer", so a rope gets an item and weapon status, in the weapons slot it would be used to "catch" criminals, slowing down the criminal or hunted one, if more than one people attacks the char with the rope and as an Item to finally handcuff the criminal.
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

Excellent idea. I noticed when my character was being chased yesterday just how hard catching criminals must be; without a mage its basically impossible.

Personally, i'd be more than willing to roleplay being captured if clouded or defeated sufficiently in combat, but having an item which actually subdues people would definitely be a good idea. Maybe the chances of success for the item depends on how much health the character has, their strength, intelligence etc?
pharse

Post by pharse »

Proposal:

( person who ties down = user; person who is tied down = target )
  • rope is used to tie down people
  • use rope with knocked down char
  • use rope with a char who is not attacking currently (i.e. the criminal has given up)
  • use rope with a target
  • up to four people can tie down a target
  • the target is forced to follow the first user
  • The users have to hold the rope in their hands and must not be
    attacking currently.
  • a LTE is laid upon the user to save the target's ID and to prevent from tying multiple targets. The user can't move that rope unless he uses it again or the target is too far away (or logged out).
  • a LTE is laid upon the target. It is called every 15-30 seconds (randomly). Then it checks if the additional users (not the first one) are still near.
    Every call there is a chance for the target to free him/herself, depending on either dexterity, strength or agility (the best one is picked) and wrestling. Each component is compared with the users' counterpart; e.g. a very dexterous thief can free himself easily from a strong but awkward knight, but it's more difficult if he is tied down by an equally dexterous archer.
    About the role of wrestling in this calculation can be discussed.
  • The first two users force the target to drop the item in the handslot (if existent). The last two force the target to drop an item in the belt (if no slot is free).
  • For every user the target gets a "temporary", unmoveable and unusable rope.
  • To limit the whole being-tied-down time, those temporary ropes have a certain quality, which is calculated similar to the chance of the target's self-freeing (e.g. a strong knight can tie down a weak thief for a very long time). That quality decreases at each call of the target's LTE for a fix amount.
  • If a user logs out, the target is freed of one rope. But if the user logs in again and the target is still in range, the target is automatically tied down again by that user.

If the first user logs out and there is a second user, then the second one takes the place of the first one (i.e. the target follows this user).

If the first and only user logs out, the target has to wait 20 seconds. If the user doesn't log in again in that time, the target is freed.
  • If the target logs out and within one minute in again, s/he is automatically tied down again, if the users are still near.

If the target is logged out for more than one minute, the IDs of all participants are logged to a file and the target has to answer to the GMs. If the target logged out without the users' consent, punishments may follow.

I hope I haven't forget anything. Everything I mentioned should be possible to script, AFAIK.
What do you think?

// additions:
  • If the target is not knocked or already tied down when trying to tie down, the user gives a forced emote like "#me tries to tie the person down", if the target doesn't move for two seconds, s/he is finally tied down.
  • If a user is attacked, the target is freed of that user's rope.
Last edited by pharse on Sun May 04, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

I think that you're the man :D

Just one question because i haven't understood that well: if the target is tied by more than one user, does his chance of fleeing decrease?

All in all, it's wonderful!!
pharse

Post by pharse »

oh yes, it was so obvious that I forgot that ;)

So best would be if one strong, one dexterous, one agile and one skilled wrestler tie down a person. That covers all components.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

you dont think with thread and RP it doesn't work also?

greetings
Rincewind
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Rincewind wrote:you dont think with thread and RP it doesn't work also?
experience says no
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Pharse,

Could we add that the 'target' becomes freed if the Guard is attacked? Just like in crafting, you should be 'disracted' if attacked.

A Guard could tie up a criminal, but will likely let him go if his buddies show up to free him.

It would certainly help 'teamwork' both for Guards and criminals, and help prevent these stupid "One man against the World" scenarios.
pharse

Post by pharse »

sounds good. I added it to the list.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Well, I shall approve the idea, if the rope becomes publicly available. :wink:

Range of 1 square, right?
pharse

Post by pharse »

I suggest 2 tiles. Otherwise it is close to impossible for the 2.,3. and 4. user to follow the target.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

ropes are allready avaible.

I kinda like pharse idea, even if I would slightly increase the time one has to wait, when the capturer gets kicked or such.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

pharse wrote:I suggest 2 tiles. Otherwise it is close to impossible for the 2.,3. and 4. user to follow the target.
Fair enough, though, I think that the first capture should be done with 1-square range.. If that is just possible to code somehow.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Juniper Onyx wrote:Pharse,

Could we add that the 'target' becomes freed if the Guard is attacked? Just like in crafting, you should be 'disracted' if attacked.
A bit too much I would believe.

If the guard is killed or has to run out of range (like in the cow) its fair enough. But otherwise with just needing to attack, it gets rather stupid; say you've just caught a dangerous criminal; all you need to free him is some person to try to attack, he could be a total n00b, he could be a person with 3 strenght who's just come back from the dead, it could be anyone.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

A good smith schould could damage them...
If theres no key available. :D

greet
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Phrase, how about that if the user is attacked, the target has a calculated chance to be freed in order to prevent a random newb freeing the target form a powerful guard.

And also, if we're at this subject, how about increasing the knocked out time to 3-5 minutes depending on the man's stats (after 2 minutes, each 10-20 seconds it performs a check for waking up.)