Treasure Maps

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Treasure Maps

Post by Llama »

I suggest that the chance to find maps from fishing is reduced to a very small amount, however you will be able to get maps from other ways, for example:

While cutting trees[You notice a scrap of paper hidden in a hole in the tree]
While mining [You notice a piece of parchment under a small rock]
While herb collecting [You find a piece of paper half-covered by soil]
While collecting sand [You dig up a small piece of parchment]

Also there is a small chance of finding it in a hostile creature drop (an EQUAL chance (whether its a dragon or a mummy).

Moreover the chance of you finding a map is dependant on the amount of skill you are gaining, so if you hit the cap (or whatever they call it now) you have no chance of getting a map.

This'll stop people pging their fishing, and make finding a map a nice bonus which comes from time to time.
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

From what I found out now, the chance to get a map is about 0,001%. By far low enough. Also, you could've proposed that in my other thread.
Bardspells

Post by Bardspells »

hush!!! to bed with you silly!!!
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

Taeryon Silverlight wrote:From what I found out now, the chance to get a map is about 0,001%. By far low enough. Also, you could've proposed that in my other thread.
should be 0.16666...7% :D
Taeryon Silverlight

ogerawa wrote:
Taeryon Silverlight wrote:From what I found out now, the chance to get a map is about 0,001%. By far low enough. Also, you could've proposed that in my other thread.
should be 0.16666...7% :D
that's still low like hell :P
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

I think this is a really good idea, it doesn't seem logical that all these farmers and pirates and.. dragon hunters, whatever would drop all their maps in the water, they'd hide them in other places too. It gives more people that use different crafts other than fishing a chance to get maps as well.
Llama

Post by Llama »

But this is a total seperate idea to yours, although I must admit you inspired me.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Taeryon Silverlight wrote:From what I found out now, the chance to get a map is about 0,001%.
Oh yes, it takes 100,000 times to fish a map *cough*
Taeryon Silverlight

AlexRose wrote:
Taeryon Silverlight wrote:From what I found out now, the chance to get a map is about 0,001%.
Alex you pooball, I made a new char to try out how long it takes to get a map yesterday. 8 hours of fishing before I got too bored and logged out. The result was: 0 maps
Nerian Finera

Post by Nerian Finera »

Taeryon Silverlight wrote:
AlexRose wrote:
Alex you pooball, I made a new char to try out how long it takes to get a map yesterday. 8 hours of fishing before I got too bored and logged out. The result was: 0 maps
That's how it's supposed to go.
Rosendil

Re: Treasure Maps

Post by Rosendil »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:I suggest that the chance to find maps from fishing is reduced to a very small amount, however you will be able to get maps from other ways, for example:

Also there is a small chance of finding it in a hostile creature drop (an EQUAL chance (whether its a dragon or a mummy).

Moreover the chance of you finding a map is dependant on the amount of skill you are gaining, so if you hit the cap (or whatever they call it now) you have no chance of getting a map.

This'll stop people pging their fishing, and make finding a map a nice bonus which comes from time to time.
Good proposal!
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:I suggest that the chance to find maps from fishing is reduced to a very small amount, however you will be able to get maps from other ways, for example:

/signed
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Good, now people will break into team to find maps. So they become even more common. And those regular crafters, who get a dragon rampaging on them because they hit a rock or something, really will enjoy it too.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Taeryon Silverlight wrote:Alex you pooball, I made a new char to try out how long it takes to get a map yesterday. 8 hours of fishing before I got too bored and logged out. The result was: 0 maps
So if I throw a six-sided dice a million times there *IS* the chance of 1:6 that I MIGHT roll a five on one of the events. This does not necessarily mean that it has to happen though (I might need a million + 1 times for a five).

That also doesn't mean I am expected to roll ONE five in six tries all the time, it's about probability and your experiment just had "bad luck" considering the results. The next guy might fish 10 maps in his first 10 tries (which is possible but highly unlikely).

Ich empfehle dass du dich ein wenig mit Wahrscheinlichkeitsrechnung beschäftigst, Taeryon, denn was du hattest war einfach Pech in deiner Versuchsreihe, das kann beim nächsten ganz anders aussehen, kommt halt auch auf den Zufall drauf an was für Ergebnisse man bekommt.
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

Faladron wrote:So if I throw a six-sided dice a million times there *IS* the chance of 1:6 that I MIGHT roll a five on one of the events. This does not necessarily mean that it has to happen though (I might need a million + 1 times for a five).

That also doesn't mean I am expected to roll ONE five in six tries all the time, it's about probability and your experiment just had "bad luck" considering the results. The next guy might fish 10 maps in his first 10 tries (which is possible but highly unlikely).
Must be a matter of luck because I once went fishing with a character and pulled 2 YR maps and a Gnome map up within 10 minutes of fishing... >_>
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Vern Kron wrote:Good, now people will break into team to find maps. So they become even more common. And those regular crafters, who get a dragon rampaging on them because they hit a rock or something, really will enjoy it too.
You do know how a map works don't you? You don't get the monsters spawned when you find the map...
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I think he was referring to when your fishing, and you pull out a mummy... that kind of thing. Not like find a map and spawn.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

I'd imagine that a miner would awake a sleeping golem instead by mistake... ;)
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Still, it is basically, oh a golem, either I die, or I run into town, hide, hope that no one sees me come into town, and hope that the guard can defeat the golem.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

nmaguire wrote:I'd imagine that a miner would awake a sleeping golem instead by mistake... ;)
That would be a good prosposal :P
Llama

Post by Llama »

Vern Kron wrote:Good, now people will break into team to find maps.
No, now people will do what they USUALLY do in their IG life, (hense the 'until you hit the cap') and stop thinking about maps because there's nothing they can do 'specially' to get the map, except do what they usually do.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Also there is a small chance of finding it in a hostile creature drop
(an EQUAL chance (whether its a dragon or a mummy).

I second the bold part. A very positive approach that takes nothing away but grants options for more interaction as well as more "surprises" *nudges the devs to implement the 1/10000 chance to find pure elements among gathered ressources*.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Vern Kron wrote:I think he was referring to when your fishing, and you pull out a mummy... that kind of thing. Not like find a map and spawn.
Actually, no, I think Haedrian meant that you could find a map as a drop from fighting a monster, not that crafting/harvesting will summon creatures like fishing does with mummies.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Azuros wrote:
Vern Kron wrote:I think he was referring to when your fishing, and you pull out a mummy... that kind of thing. Not like find a map and spawn.
Actually, no, I think Haedrian meant that you could find a map as a drop from fighting a monster, not that crafting/harvesting will summon creatures like fishing does with mummies.
Yep, that's what I meant (what Az said).

This is to ensure that if you want to get a map, you can go kill mummies, or golems or whatever you were killing before. I don't want it 'tied to a particular creature' because then people will start farming it *cough cough dragons cough cough*
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

I agree with Hadrian, if were gonna have maps it doesnt make sense that you can only find em fishing. It does not really encourage "Fisher chars", but for warriors to do something that doesnt make sense at all.
People throw away the fish because they are simply fishing for maps...
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Daelyn wrote:People throw away the fish because they are simply fishing for maps...
To the whole "Don't fish for maps":

Why? Wouldn't you go fishing when you know you would find a map to a treasure in RL? I think I would fish all day long.

There must be thousand of maps on the ground of the sea and rivers, so it logical that the chars try to get these map.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Jupiter wrote:To the whole "Don't fish for maps":

Why? Wouldn't you go fishing when you know you would find a map to a treasure in RL? I think I would fish all day long.

There must be thousand of maps on the ground of the sea and rivers, so it logical that the chars try to get these map.
Treasure maps in Illa are not meant to be common stuff! But you can't implement a feature with 0,00000000001% probability like it has to be if you want it realistic, so you can find quite a lof of maps with PG fishing.
Taeryon Silverlight

Miklorius wrote:
Jupiter wrote:To the whole "Don't fish for maps":

Treasure maps in Illa are not meant to be common stuff! But you can't implement a feature with 0,00000000001% probability like it has to be if you want it realistic, so you can find quite a lof of maps with PG fishing.
He wanted to point out that it is logical, that, if the characters know that there is the chance to get a map while they are fishing, they are fishing very often just to get maps. He also wanted to state, that, if he would have the possibilty to get a map while he's fishing in RL, that he wouldn't do anything but to fish for maps all day long.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Uhh the think is very simple...

Lizard wrote water prof treasure maps and put them into the rivers to raise the the fishing rate.... more fisher, more fish, more happy lizards... you know, so simple, treasure maps in the water are nothing more as a lizard-complot to have more to eat, ask fooser

/ or to say it the other way, illarion isn't realistic, don't try to make it so, if it would be realistic it wouldn't make fun - that's why we play unrealistic games, to have fun ;)
Rosendil

Post by Rosendil »

To get rid of the ridiculous amount of fishermen/women in game, I propose to increase the chance to find maps significantly AND to set up a time interval when the next map can be found (e.g. 1 real life week).