Poll: Who wants to change name of Molotovs?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Would you like to change "Molotov Cocktail" to something else?

Yes, call it "Gynkenese Fire"
46%
Yes, Call it "Gynk Fire"
22%
Yes but I will post a name
2%
No, I like the name "Molotov Cocktail"
30%

Total votes: 104

Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Poll: Who wants to change name of Molotovs?

Post by Juniper Onyx »

This is a simple Poll to show Alex how many in the community actually would like to change the name of "Molotov Cocktail" to something more appropriate to RP in Illarion.

(Ubersetze Bitte?)

Some well suggested names:
Gynkenese Fire/ Gynkenese Feuer - The Gynkenese are a nation of Pirates, murderers and thieves from the Mainland.

Gynk Fire/ Gynk Feuer - A short, 'common' form of 'Gynkenese Fire'.

Other ideas:
Dragon's Milk/Drachen Milch - Fantasy based
Fire Water / Feuerwasser - Descriptive
Gnome's Blood/ Gnomenblut - ?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Also keep in mind the people who don't post in the poll therefore don't mind the name.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

That's twisted logic. People who don't post in the poll either:
A) Can't or don't use the forums

or

B) Got chased off by all the spamming nonsense.

Don't assume that a non-answer is a vote for "Keep it the same".
This poll is in response to your post that not 10 people cared. I say there are more that do. :D
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

There's still going to be a big proportion of the community who don't vote because they don't care, like in all the other threads. And if they don't care, .: they don't mind the name.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

AlexRose wrote:There's still going to be a big proportion of the community who don't vote because they don't care, like in all the other threads. And if they don't care, .: they don't mind the name.
Ignore him.......Just vote. :twisted:
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter
Location: Go for more communication between Players and Staff

Post by Greisling »

Ignore him.......Just vote.
...right... :twisted:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

.. evil faces.. right..

.. your cause is so evil..
Greisling
Beginner NPC Scripter
Location: Go for more communication between Players and Staff

Re: Poll: Who wants to change name of Molotovs?

Post by Greisling »

(( Translation for Juniper 'Daddy' Onyx ;-) ))

Liebe Gemeinschaft,

mit dieser kleinen Abstimmung hat jeder die Möglichkeit zu zeigen, ob er/sie mit dem derzeitigen Namen "Molotov Cocktail" zufrieden ist oder nicht.

Als Alternativen stehen zur Auswahl:
- Gynkenese Fire/ Gynkesisches Feuer - Die Gynkener sind ein Volk von Piraten, Mördern und Dieben, heimisch auf dem Kontinent.
- Gynk Fire/ Gynkfeuer - Eine Kurzform vom Gynkesischen Feuer.

Andere Ideen sind:
- Dragon's Milk / Drachenmilch - fantasybasiert
- Fire Water / Feuerwasser - beschreibend
- Gnome's Blood / Gnomenblut
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

I wonder how many PO uses all their forum accounts to vote... :roll:

Both of the threads made me laughs... :D

About "dragon's milk" eerrmm.. dragons... lay eggs xD
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

ogerawa wrote:I wonder how many PO uses all their forum accounts to vote...
LOL yeah.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

ogerawa wrote:I wonder how many PO uses all their forum accounts to vote... :roll:
That is a good question, I would hope people have only used one, I wonder if polls could be set up so only one main account could vote, not the forum account but the game account?
darxzero
Location: Investigating the darkest recesses of human nature...

Post by darxzero »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote: That is a good question, I would hope people have only used one, I wonder if polls could be set up so only one main account could vote, not the forum account but the game account?
You mean like how the admins track multiple game accounts? IP?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Yes, call it "Gynkenese Fire"
This will be a good name because it is clear that it involves -fire-. Some people may not know what a molotov cocktail is, may think it is a drink, and try to drink it. Plus, this is more IG, and follows the background better, something Alex should enjoy since he absolutely must obey the background and critize others rp that is not directly expressed in the background.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Vern Kron wrote:Yes, call it "Gynkenese Fire"
This will be a good name because it is clear that it involves -fire-. Some people may not know what a molotov cocktail is, may think it is a drink, and try to drink it. Plus, this is more IG, and follows the background better, something Alex should enjoy since he absolutely must obey the background and critize others rp that is not directly expressed in the background.

There is a big difference between being obsessed with the background and finding it stupid when someone rps 10,000 hamsters invading Troll's Bane. I couldn't care less if characters' histories don't fit the background, or items, or anything else; I just care when something doesn't make sense whatsoever.
Noradur

Post by Noradur »

Yes call it Gynk fire.

I like the idea to make it more illarion appropiate
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Why is everyone so insane over changing the name? It ain't medival enough, whine whine whine. Well guess what! Shirts don't exist, they were tunics! I propose we all change the name of shirts to tunics and make them longer! Why? Because shirts never existed then! Also some need the name chamise because that is what women wore.

Gasp! I can think of a bunch of things to propose that should exist or should have a name change that is less modern and more medival! I think I shall make a whole topic to propose that these non-medival things be changed or removed from game! Sounds like a great idea. *does so.*
[/scarcasum]

I don't care if you change the damn name or not. This entire argument is stupid. You can request for it to be changed, sure. But too many people are making a huge deal over the fact that it isn't medival enough. Who f-ing cares? We aren't doing medival recreation here where the names of mundane/modern things are often sugar coated or requested to be hidden. This is a fantasy game. Sure, let's keep the atmosphere some what medival, but don't expect it to stay that way. Change motovo cockail to what ever the hell you want. Neither the original or now will affect my rp either way. Sure it sounds better, but is this really something worth arguing over?
Last edited by Dantagon Marescot on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Dantagon Marescot wrote:Well guess what! Shirts don't exist, they were tunics!
Wikipedia said:

"In American English, shirt can refer to almost any upper-body garment other than coats and bras (the term "top" is sometimes used in ladieswear)."
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Oh, interesting Adrian; and how many medieval Americans did you meet?
Llama

Post by Llama »

AlexRose wrote:Oh, interesting Adrian; and how many medieval Americans did you meet?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
AlexRose wrote:Oh, interesting Adrian; and how many medieval Americans did you meet?
Your point..?

Last time I checked, my characters didn't regularly surf the illarion homepage on their computers.

American language came after medieval times... therefore the word shirt came after medieval times..

You grasping this concept yet?
Llama

Post by Llama »

And common language came WHEN exactly?

American/German is really very abstract. We are not speaking medieval english, nor are we speaking medieval german. That way, if there is an american word which is used to refer to something, it can be used. If my character writes "I want to buy a shield of red color" its just as good as if i wrote "I want to buy a shield of red colour".

.: If the person who named the item 'shirt' meant the american 'shirt' then its perfectally allright. The graphics don't have buttons or cuffs as it is.
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

*cough cough... hacks...*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunic
http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/artic ... UNICS.HTML
http://www.jelldragon.com/images/linen_tunic_1.jpg
*hacks some more*

Now back on topic. I already have a topic made to argue the other mistakes made in Illarion
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

AlexRose wrote:Also keep in mind the people who don't post in the poll therefore don't mind the name.
Exactly..
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:
ogerawa wrote:I wonder how many PO uses all their forum accounts to vote... :roll:
That is a good question, I would hope people have only used one, I wonder if polls could be set up so only one main account could vote, not the forum account but the game account?
Well, if they didnt before you surely gave them ideas now XD
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

"Dragon Semen"!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Daelyn wrote:
AlexRose wrote:Also keep in mind the people who don't post in the poll therefore don't mind the name.
Exactly..
This sounds exactly like the Maltese referendum... I'm sure abc remembers it. When you do something of that sort, you are pretty much infringing logic. If i 1) Can't be bothered voting 2) Don't want to vote because I don't like this stupid fight 3) Don't have a forum account 4) Was away on holiday 5) Got run over by a hippo and am unable to view this; I will not vote either.
-----

Now here's a nice argument I thought up while I was sleeping (-_-).

Lets say I create a new character and call him "George Bush". George is a medieval name, there was St. George (of the dragon) for example. Bush is also a normal surname. But if I do that sort of thing IG, I'll get my character banned. Why? Because it disturbs the atmosphere, seeing a name which is familar to something modern. When you think "George Bush" you instantly think of American politics bla bla... I CAN say that he's just a normal person who CO-INCIDENTALLY was called George bush, but I'm sure none of you would buy it.

Lets take molotov cocktails. They also are a modern thing, a modern invention designed to incapacitate tanks, and commonly used nowadays during riots. Why should they be changed? For the same reason a character called "George Bush" should be banned. Its a familiar name linked to something totally modern. Yes you can say a gnome called Molotov invented it bla bla bla, but its similar to the George Bush argument up there...

Think about it.

Discuss.
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Daelyn wrote:
Exactly..
This sounds exactly like the Maltese referendum... I'm sure abc remembers it. When you do something of that sort, you are pretty much infringing logic. If i 1) Can't be bothered voting 2) Don't want to vote because I don't like this stupid fight 3) Don't have a forum account 4) Was away on holiday 5) Got run over by a hippo and am unable to view this; I will not vote either.
If you: 1) Can't be bothered voting you really don't care about the name do you? 2)Don't want to vote because you think this is a stupid fight. (that one's self explaining. You think its stupid to even discuss changing the name) 3) Don't have a forum account (Noone proposed that we should count everyone who set foot in illa and didnt vote here as a NO vote....) 4) Again, he didnt propose we should count all the forum accounts and make everyone who didnt vote a no vote...

Basically, everyone noticing this pol (and understanding the question) and not bothering to vote don't really care enough to spend a few seckonds on the topic?

Either way, when did we start using the word Molotov Coctail in RL? As far as I know that invention is far older than fireworks, and fireworks has existed in China for thousands of years. It's just a bottle of spirit and a piece of paper after all...?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Either way, when did we start using the word Molotov Coctail in RL? As far as I know that invention is far older than fireworks, and fireworks has existed in China for thousands of years. It's just a bottle of spirit and a piece of paper after all...?
It was invented 1936...

For some reason they didn't bother inventing anti-tank weapons until tanks were around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I agree with Taliss.
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

I don't mind the notion of changing it to a more RP appropriate name. We may as well change shirts to tunics as well.

I see no harm in it.