Relevant Criticism

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Aegohl

Relevant Criticism

Post by Aegohl »

I played Illarion today, which makes my opinions instantly relevant!!

Here are some things that I thought should have been changed at Illarion, and I still feel that these things would make Illarion much more playable, especially from the perspective of new players who are just trying it out, because I feel like a noob all over again.

*Faster Movement--Sorry to say, but the character plods along a bit slow compared to most games and there's no option to run instead. Step onto a forest tile and it's almost absolute torture.

*Rare tool syndrome--Okay. Okay. I get it. The merchants should be a little bit custom in each city. But when it comes to basic tools and and such, there should be a merchant in every city selling that stuff. I walked to Tol Vanima today for some carving tools only to realize that I need to know Elvish... for carving tools?! Come on. That's just too much.

*Teleport spots--While on one hand you want people to move over the map and so on, you don't want them to hate it. Draw people onto the weird areas of maps by putting cool things there: treasure, monsters, adventure, etc..! Don't make me drag ass across the map so I can rp with person x in Varshikar or get a rare tool from NPC y in Tol Vanima. There should be free or cheap access to teleportation, and one silver jumps are not what I'm talking about as far as cheap. We're here to rp with eachother, and cities are where people are. Walking between those cities is a chore, and what if I get there and nobody's there? Let me teleport.

*Lazy NPC's--NPC scripts that go like this "Hello NPC x" "Hello." Are a waste of space and script. There should be some sort of hint at what the NPC is there for and what magic words I have to use to get him to spill just by saying "Hello" to him. If he's part of a quest that starts at another NPC, at the very least he should have some dialogue that hints at what he is, so I can reference that in my memory when I run into his buddy NPC.

The above are all things that I believe from past experience can be done with some hard work.

Anyone who feels like it can comment on the above or make their own. It's most important, though that anything added should be things that should be able to be done now, rather than crazy proposals that could take years of coding or what not. Also, they should be about playability. What makes you want to quit Illarion because it's too much of a bitch to play?

If anyone gets this locked, I'm punching them. =)

Edited to add:

And here's something that you can fix. The game I've been playing and still play elsewhere, the community is always active in IRC. This helps because people with questions and such can get them answered instantly, and when we can all talk to each other over instant means, we're less likely to post obnoxious stupid things on the board and chase new people off. If it would do the community some good if we all just hopped onto IRC, huh?
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

I agree with the IRC.... there is also another advantage you didn't list.. I would guess 1 out of 10 players stay... is it more 1 out of 5 even? Sometimes I think constantly typing the same thing over can be very tiring when you have a new player, though I enjoy teaching... but the small basic things such as "HELP HW DO U PLAY THIS" or "Hello : )" or slash and hit without anything... can be tiring to repeat when you are wondering if the PO will even stay. IRC can help them with those basic answers.... but only if people are on IRC to answer.
Estralis Seborian

Re: Relevant Criticism

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Aegohl wrote:I played Illarion today, which makes my opinions instantly relevant!!
They all come back :P! And at least for me, your opinion was always relevant.
Aegohl wrote:*Faster Movement
Agreed. 100%. If you want to abuse a bug to circumvent this, walk on transition tiles, there you (and monsters) are fast as lightning. The movement penalties of certain types of tiles have to be worked on.
Aegohl wrote:*Rare tool syndrome
Well, being sort of responsible for that elf vendor in Vanima, I admit this might have been a fault. Before, there was no vendor in Vanima at all and back then, we had this NPC in Silverbrand that only talked dwarvish. This resulted in a monopoly for Silverbrand (tongs), so a monopoly for Vanima was something to compensate for this. But the approach was never conducted properly, to give every place a certain monopoly. Instead, we have the situation that alot of tools cannot be bought or bought in strange places (like tailor's tools in Silverbrand... Not many tailors there!). The stock and prices of NPCs have to be redone from scratch, but currently, this is not possible for the relation "difficulty to craft something and required raw materials" compared to "item stats and properties" are totally smiled up and need to be redone first. This can, at least from my reconing, only be done by Nitterz due to the complexity of the involved systems and he has enough to do...

Some approaches how to fix the mess:
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=25461
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=25418
Aegohl wrote:*Teleport spots
Guess what, the fabulous Nitterz has taken a shitty script I wrote and expanded it to discount teleporters you can find in every major town :P. A trip costs 30cp. I hope this fits your requirements?
Aegohl wrote:*Lazy NPC's
Agreed. I hope the next generation of NPCs, written by the community and written in the simple NPC language won't have this problem anymore. Also, all NPCs should respond to "help" with OOC-hints what one can do with them.

I'm looking forward for more things that catch your attention, maybe even along with some solutions? About the IRC-thingy, well, I have an approach how to fix this along with some other things, but I guess I'll discuss this with the staff first.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

I noticed most NPC traders have forgotten the keywords for the price of the goods they buy too. I couldn't get them to tell me the price in english and german.
Irania

Post by Irania »

Ya, and the halfling south of town doesn't tell you how much you paid when you DO buy an item.

He also doesn't buy anything even though he clearly says that he does.
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

Just wondering: Doesn't agility effect how fast your character is? Maybe it's just me but I always feel I'm walking loads faster when I use my ranger (ag 18 ) than with my other characters.
Last edited by Ambrosine on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Yes, agility has a slightly effect.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Especially on the slower tiles :P . I always used to move faster than all my friends on slow tiles, since I carried barely anything and moved fast. Also, the higher the str you have, the faster you will go if you're carrying a load.
Llama

Post by Llama »

To be honest I don't like the walking thign either. Sure the map is nice, but there isn't anything a random person will get from adventuring around.

Best he'll get is meet a bunch of gnolls/bandits/something which he can practice on, but that's it.
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

I'd like to point out that some of us like walking around safe. None of my chars earn enough to use the teleports with any frequency, so walking is the only option. And only one of my chars actually has the ability to deal with anything worse than a lone wolf.
>_< I R No Fightor...
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:
Ambrosine wrote: >_< I R No Fightor...
Hire orcs.
Nah, mages are the way to go. :P

On the other hand:

Ambrosine wrote:None of my chars earn enough to use the teleports with any frequency.

;)
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Aegohl wrote:*Faster Movement--Sorry to say, but the character plods along a bit slow compared to most games and there's no option to run instead. Step onto a forest tile and it's almost absolute torture.
Absolutely! The walking speed at all is quite low in Illa, but on "slow" grounds like wood or rock it is horrible! I usually don't wonder across Gobiath because of this.

It was logical when we do not have "3D" mountains, but today mountains are a real obstacle and woods are full of trees - so make us faster!
Adano Eles wrote:I noticed most NPC traders have forgotten the keywords for the price of the goods they buy too. I couldn't get them to tell me the price in english and german.
Yes... There was a bug report in Flyspray but Nitram closed it some weeks ago with the comment that it works - it doesn't.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Estralis Seborian wrote: Well, being sort of responsible for that elf vendor in Vanima, I admit this might have been a fault. Before, there was no vendor in Vanima at all and back then, we had this NPC in Silverbrand that only talked dwarvish. This resulted in a monopoly for Silverbrand (tongs), so a monopoly for Vanima was something to compensate for this. But the approach was never conducted properly, to give every place a certain monopoly. Instead, we have the situation that alot of tools cannot be bought or bought in strange places (like tailor's tools in Silverbrand... Not many tailors there!). The stock and prices of NPCs have to be redone from scratch, but currently, this is not possible for the relation "difficulty to craft something and required raw materials" compared to "item stats and properties" are totally smiled up and need to be redone first. This can, at least from my reconing, only be done by Nitterz due to the complexity of the involved systems and he has enough to do...

Some approaches how to fix the mess:
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=25461
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=25418
You're not the only one responsible for this one, g. I was there at the time and I remember being talked into this and thinking it's a good idea. At the time it could have been reasoned out in a way that sounded nice, but I don't think it can work in that way. I believe it was Martin that was pushing it strongest, and Martin's almost 90% of the time coming up with pure genius. This one fell into the 10%. =)

While I can't help with what Nitters has to do, if we need a stock list for the NPC's that should sell basic tools and maybe even their dialogue, I think every staff member that was around during the server switch did a little of that in the past, so I've got some experience in that.
Estralis wrote: Guess what, the fabulous Nitterz has taken a shitty script I wrote and expanded it to discount teleporters you can find in every major town :P. A trip costs 30cp. I hope this fits your requirements?
Major improvement. I prefer free travel, but 30cp is, far as I can tell, like nothing here. The reason I think free travel is most beneficial is because it allows one to "peek" in on other cities to see if there's anything going on there.

Estralis wrote: I'm looking forward for more things that catch your attention, maybe even along with some solutions?
Sorry. These above I felt were all things that I know have been discussed internally on some level, so I didn't think to add solutions. I'm veering away from wild proposals (and really I have a lot of those) that will take a while to program. Illarion is a wee bit riddled with these little things that make it hard to play. Of course, there's a core to it that "always brings them back" even though I'm pretty sure I'm just visiting.

Thanks for everything, Estralis. =) Does this mean you're back to work *again*?
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Faster travel seems a horrible idea to me. We don't even have enough players to fill towns. Why make the players more spread out? Also, the teleport pads that cost 30 coppers goes into the town's pocket. Which later goes into buildings(normally). Coins are a bit to hard to get in large amounts for government organizations as it is. Rare tools makes player characters more useful. You need to go to them for tools and not to NPCs. I think this is a good thing. It even promotes RP.

As for quest NPCs try saying the word quest to them :P
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Lrmy wrote:Faster travel seems a horrible idea to me. We don't even have enough players to fill towns. Why make the players more spread out?
From my experience from mmorpg's with similarly-sized communities and large maps, the ability to move quickly between these towns make it easier to run into people, because you could wait all day in Greenbriar and not meet up with anyone, but is Trollsbane consistently full enough that you want to bother going back there? No. So there you have it.
Also, the teleport pads that cost 30 coppers goes into the town's pocket. Which later goes into buildings(normally). Coins are a bit to hard to get in large amounts for government organizations as it is.
The benefiting of every player in everyday play of the game is more important than the village coffers *always*. The system that gives the towns tax money was added as a perk to create long-lasting active governments. It also failed at that.

However, I don't see any way in which it would disadvantage the cities. Could you explain in more detail?
Rare tools makes player characters more useful. You need to go to them for tools and not to NPCs. I think this is a good thing. It even promotes RP.
I tried to have someone make the tools. He made a saw and a slicer thingy for me, but he couldn't make carving tools or a hatchet. There are 16 people online. Chances are half of those people make their gold on monster spawns and a quarter of them are "hardcore rpers" that don't have any skills any which way. Given that a certain amount of people are in other towns and I could spend all night chasing them about, I've probably just dealt with the only crafter in town.

Now let's pretend that I'm a newbie and have no previous experiences with this game that would make me want to stay for a bit. I'd likely be gone. There are other options, and I've yet to see a UO shard (other than the oddball "real economy" super hardcore rp shards) that doesn't have all the tools needed up for sale in the newbie town. If you want to add cultural flair, that's where you have rare items. While I could see Dwarven armor only being sold in Silverbrand, tailoring tools should be available everywhere, because everyone wears clothes. =)
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Aegohl wrote: The benefiting of every player in everyday play of the game is more important than the village coffers *always*.
Liar!
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Except when the village coffers go to Fooser. I forgot to mention that. =)
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Aegohl made two points about the availability of tools: First off, newbies that see no way to do the things they want to leave faster than you think. And the 2nd point, experience has shown that a player depending economy simple does not work in Illa. I myself tried for 2 RL-weeks of almost daily gameplay to obtain a brick mould, no chance. While I agree it should be favourable to buy your stuff from PCs, being it due to high NPC prices or limited stock, I see a need for every basic tools being available. Somewhere. I doubt it has much use when one can buy e.g. scissors in all five major towns, but there has to be at least one.

Anyway, concerning the walking speed, I think there are some technical restrictions due to an... uncommon... way of map handling in Illarion that also prevents a true auto-walk function. But a dev might tell more about this and what might be planned to change this.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Aegohl wrote:
Lrmy wrote:Faster travel seems a horrible idea to me. We don't even have enough players to fill towns. Why make the players more spread out?
From my experience from mmorpg's with similarly-sized communities and large maps, the ability to move quickly between these towns make it easier to run into people, because you could wait all day in Greenbriar and not meet up with anyone, but is Trollsbane consistently full enough that you want to bother going back there? No. So there you have it.
Troll's Bane is consistently full enough to find RP. The only place most merchants hang around is Troll's Bane. You won't find your tools in Varshikar or Greenbriar because the merchant will likely be in the largest town. The flip side of traveling to other towns more often is that each town will have 4 people instead of one town having 20. We max around 50 players online at a time. Thats 10 players per town if you divided them up. Really, I think we need less towns until more people actually play.
Goldburg

Post by Goldburg »

We all do what we can.

Illarion isn't perfect, but we as players can solve a lot of problems IG by being available and helpful to new players.

My character Chester always helps newcomers.

We are building up Goldburg to be a 'new-player' friendly merchant and crafting town, away from the chaos that is usually Trollsbane.

If we come up with solutions IG, the Devs will catch up, they always do. We just need to give them the time they need.

That's all that really needs to be said IMHO.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

it allows one to "peek" in on other cities to see if there's anything going on there
I agree, that would be very nice and more toward ig RP then what is done now, which is basically msn'ing to see where everyone is which new players couldn't do.

Even older PO's have trouble finding tools unless you get on msn..... the last two chars I have had have bought a fishing pole and fished until they got a bucket which may be for sale somewhere...but to spend basically 1/3 of the copper gotten at start-up to go to another town, or the long time walking versus my chars getting this "bright idea" to fish. shrugs

Walking ig is tedious and almost impossible to do along with RP if you are walking with someone unless you want to constantly run into trees, rocks etc. It would be very nice if speeded up, even a little with more interesting things to "see" on the way.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Well Kaila thats the problem, what kind of "intereesting things" would you like to add, we allready have a quiete good evolved map, even if the forest are way to thick in my opinion.

The only thing I could think off is some kind of wandering merchant, who stands somewhere else everyday and has a cnstant changing of Items to selll, might even have a rare item now and then.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Pellandria wrote:Well Kaila thats the problem, what kind of "intereesting things" would you like to add,
My name's not Kaila but meh.
Lava dungeons, ice dungeons, puzzle dungeons, somewhere a demon could live, puzzle dungeons, a huge mountain that has a reward at the top, highwaymen, herds of wild animals, people living in trees in the forest, geysers, the odd rotworm, holes you could fall into and have to find the way out (like a big underground cave) waterfalls, monster lizards (like a komodo dragon sort of thing), a travelling gnome, monsters fighting each other, a hermit, a travelling trader, a man who randomly turns up asking you to lead him somewhere for a reward, an evil chicken, a key that randomly appears, as well as a door that randomly appears, leading to a maze that must be escaped from for a reward.

That would make things much more interesting. And perhaps birds nests could randomly fall from trees containing shiny things, like coins, rings, or even scraps of paper like treasure maps :wink:
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

well, some of the things nmaguire mentioned, i would expect from a game. from a single player game.

we have each other for entertainment.
(we even got highwaymen. just that they not attack on the road, but in bane...) :twisted:

what is bad about walking? and those, that use a road, do not run in trees.
i often enough have random encounters, where my chars meet somebody in the wilderness.
sure, that is mainly in that part of the map, where magic travel is not welcome.
just let us use the big map we got.
Dien

Post by Dien »

I'm a newbie, so while I don't know how relevant my criticism is from the standpoint of advanced players, I can at least speak with a newb voice.

First of all, I completely second those who were saying above that unless tools are reasonably easy to get a hold of, the newbies will NOT stay. It's all very well to say "Go find another character to sell it to you" but when there's 16 players online in the whole game it becomes a lot less feasible in practice. As a newbie-- meaning, if you're like me, you're probably a little worried about ticking off the more experienced players with stupid questions or annoying presence-- you don't want to interrupt someone else's RP they might already have going, for starters. I ran into this just today when I was looking for a character that might be willing to sell me a bucket: the only two people I could find immediately were obviously engaged in a romance plot with each other. My dwarf may be a brash impudent loud sort, but even she's not going to barge right up to a couple at a tender moment and yell, "HEY! GOT A BUCKET FOR SALE?!"

I find the tool system to be somewhat non-intuitive to begin with, and it just constantly gets more complex-- you think, okay, I want to fish, I'll get a fishing pole. Seems simple enough. But then you learn you're supposed to cook it, and that takes a bucket, and water, and a cooking spoon, and... etc, etc. I'm not saying that's inherently bad, but it is VERY different for newbies coming in with no experience of Illarion, and that initial period of time when you're bumbling around trying to find things out is the period of frustration where you're going to lose new players.

The manual, frankly, is almost useless in my opinion. I've read it three times and I still didn't figure out basic functions until I started hitting wiki and the boards. Wiki is incomplete at best, and the boards are constantly a variation on the theme of "find it out in game."

Again, that's fine as far as it goes. I'm well aware many newbies want everything handed to them right off the bat and ask DUMB QUESTIONS. But at the same time, putting ALL the burden of figuring how everything works onto newbies is just not a good way to keep most of them interested.

I'm sure someone's going to bring up that people in-game are very helpful. Yeeees.... sometimes. My experiences have been very mixed. I've run into some people who were helpful (Katagil Sandhouse, thank you, among others), and I've also run into people who just ignore my in-character attempts to show she has questions or needs help. You basically have to say flat-out "Please help me!" to get sometimes-grudging responses, and for me that breaks the IC/OOC line. I -love- the roleplaying side of Illarion, and I'm probably more into it than most people I see, who just walk up and say "who wants to buy x" without an in-character greeting.

...sorry, got off on tangent there. All I was saying is that the Go Find it In Game answer is only useful and feasible when there's enough people IN GAME who speak your language, whether that's english or german, to make it feasible. Until then, not having a good, clean, well-structured resource on common newbie questions is, I think, going to cost you players.

I don't mean to sound really down on Illarion: like I said, I love the roleplay factor. As I'm coming to understand crafting a little bit better, I love that too. I think it's a lovely game visually for what level it's at. But I have had a lot of frustration over the last few days in just learning simple things like shop interaction. The MANY BUGS don't help-- they make you think you're doing something wrong when, in fact, it's the shopkeeper that's not working right. (See: that dang halfling.)

....wow, okay, I kind of ranted here. I'm going to shut up and wander off now before someone hits me.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Dien wrote:I'm a newbie, so while I don't know how relevant my criticism is from the standpoint of advanced players, I can at least speak with a newb voice.
Everyone's opinion is relevant. The joke I made above about the relevance of my post is due to a handful of people here who like to exclude people for whatever reason. As someone who's played this game on and off for over four years, was a GM and developer for a time, and so on, I've even been told my opinion isn't relevant (even on matters that have more to do with common human decency than anything related to the game). It amounts to an easy way to win an argument, if your standards for winning are disregarding the evidence to the contrary rather than disproving it.

In short, your opinion is and will be relevant wether you stay with the game, leave the game, become a staff member, get banned, or become one of the folks like Brer and Fooser who never leave. =)

In fact, in the case of this topic, your point of view is most pertinent. I, at the very least, know a certain amount of the community and played the game at least once every six months and the game is still confusing to me.
I find the tool system to be somewhat non-intuitive to begin with, and it just constantly gets more complex-- you think, okay, I want to fish, I'll get a fishing pole. Seems simple enough. But then you learn you're supposed to cook it, and that takes a bucket, and water, and a cooking spoon, and... etc, etc. I'm not saying that's inherently bad, but it is VERY different for newbies coming in with no experience of Illarion, and that initial period of time when you're bumbling around trying to find things out is the period of frustration where you're going to lose new players.
Very well put. While I understand fully that Illarion can't and shouldn't do everything like Ultima Online, UO is a good game with some very good things about it and that's the reason why people still play it after all these years (and in fact, some poor souls even still pay to play it!) and here is one thing I like about their crafting system (not sure if it's actually UO's cooking system or the server that I play at, come to think of it. The server is highly customized, so beats me):

To cook I click a cooking tool (any cooking tool. Doesn't matter if it's a frying pan, a flour sifter, or what have you. The difference between the tools is only roleplaying. Otherwise, they do the same thing)while near an oven and buflampf! I get a menu where I can pick what I want to cook and get a listing of what I need to have in my bag to cook that item. If I try to cook while not near an oven, it'll tell me to get near an oven. So as long as I have a cooking tool of any kind, I'd pretty much have to be an idiot to not be able to figure out the cooking system from there.

Second of all, the ingredients are intuitive and for basic items there are less ingredients, generally, and definitely not ingredients that are difficult to get on any level for basic items. I think needing string for arrows that I'm just going to shoot at stuff and lose basically killed my dream of being an archer at Illarion.
The manual, frankly, is almost useless in my opinion. I've read it three times and I still didn't figure out basic functions until I started hitting wiki and the boards. Wiki is incomplete at best, and the boards are constantly a variation on the theme of "find it out in game."
Reading that phrase still makes me want to kill people.

This is another reason why regular use of the IRC and having the IRC channel referenced on the homepage and directions for people who are new to IRC there also is a big help. Instant help, and with a game that's being developed so quickly, it's going to be damned near impossible to keep the manual and even the wiki up-to-date. I've yet to see a website for a UO shard or any other amateur mmorpg that's updated as quickly as the game is.

I'd put my money where my mouth is and join the IRC myself (and hell, Martin's sometimes there and Martin's a hell of a lot of fun) but, sad to say, the UO shard I play has a much more active IRC channel and it's on Darkmyst rather than Quakenet.
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

nmaguire wrote:
Pellandria wrote:Well Kaila thats the problem, what kind of "intereesting things" would you like to add,
My name's not Kaila but meh.
Lava dungeons, ice dungeons, puzzle dungeons, somewhere a demon could live, puzzle dungeons, a huge mountain that has a reward at the top, highwaymen, herds of wild animals, people living in trees in the forest, geysers, the odd rotworm, holes you could fall into and have to find the way out (like a big underground cave) waterfalls, monster lizards (like a komodo dragon sort of thing), a travelling gnome, monsters fighting each other, a hermit, a travelling trader, a man who randomly turns up asking you to lead him somewhere for a reward, an evil chicken, a key that randomly appears, as well as a door that randomly appears, leading to a maze that must be escaped from for a reward.

That would make things much more interesting. And perhaps birds nests could randomly fall from trees containing shiny things, like coins, rings, or even scraps of paper like treasure maps :wink:
Thats runescape for you...
so go play RS....
I like the chicken when it randomly gets u if your inactive....its always 20+ Cbt lvls above you....XD
RUNESCAPE! z0mG
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

OMG! Yes. Games with content and scripts and NPC's and dungeons and things to explore are soooo Runescape!

Hate to break it to you, man, but Martin and, I would think, most developers here are trying to add content. It's a matter of not enough hands able to do the work and not enough time, rather than that it's so Runescape.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Maybe we should have a link to IRC and tell people how to join in the same place we have the download for the game? This might make more newbs join it and have access to easy information that they would need. Dien brought up (indirectly) the thing we have heard countless times. We loose newbs in the first five minutes.
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

*Faster Movement--Sorry to say, but the character plods along a bit slow compared to most games and there's no option to run instead. Step onto a forest tile and it's almost absolute torture.

Fully Agreed. But currently i have no real clue how to implement that. Event wither very high or low values it feels like the char is moving very very slow :(

*Rare tool syndrome--Okay. Okay. I get it. The merchants should be a little bit custom in each city. But when it comes to basic tools and and such, there should be a merchant in every city selling that stuff. I walked to Tol Vanima today for some carving tools only to realize that I need to know Elvish... for carving tools?! Come on. That's just too much.

Totally agreed. In my eyes this is one of the most boring things. Specially the newbies run out of tools very fast and have no idea where to get new one. If i where a newbie i will stop playing until i broke my third tool and have to walk for hours to get new ones and then i haven't enough money for that. I think we cant force Player vs Player trading with such things.

*Teleport spots--While on one hand you want people to move over the map and so on, you don't want them to hate it. Draw people onto the weird areas of maps by putting cool things there: treasure, monsters, adventure, etc..! Don't make me drag ass across the map so I can rp with person x in Varshikar or get a rare tool from NPC y in Tol Vanima. There should be free or cheap access to teleportation, and one silver jumps are not what I'm talking about as far as cheap. We're here to rp with eachother, and cities are where people are. Walking between those cities is a chore, and what if I get there and nobody's there? Let me teleport.

I disagree with the teleport spots ( maybe with faster walking we dont need them) but i fully agree with the cool things like dungeons, quests and treasures something adventure like.

*Lazy NPC's--NPC scripts that go like this "Hello NPC x" "Hello." Are a waste of space and script. There should be some sort of hint at what the NPC is there for and what magic words I have to use to get him to spill just by saying "Hello" to him. If he's part of a quest that starts at another NPC, at the very least he should have some dialogue that hints at what he is, so I can reference that in my memory when I run into his buddy NPC.

I like the idea of "talking" npc but we need some more easy way of trading like a trading dialog.

A had something to add but currently i forgot what i wanted to say. Maybe i will add it later.