character concept sketch

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Konrad Knox

Update

Post by Konrad Knox »

After quite some hours of work, this one's specifically for you, Indril.
Thanks for the great time ingame, our chars engage in quite a versatile range of activities, and it's always fun.

Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

o,0 *looks at MS paint for an hour then closes it shaking his head*

You are one to be envied.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

Alright. I think this will be my last drawing in the series of Konrad, I wanted to conclude it with something special that I havent done before.
Perspective work is hard in Paint, nearly impossible to get it all correctly, but this is as much as I can expose before feeling i spend too much time on a sketch.

If anyone requests a character sketch, I will gladly take up the order to MSPaintify your Illarion characters the way I see them.

Till then, last one for the road.

Irania

Post by Irania »

Your pictures are amazing. Can you do one of Chester Copperpot?
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

Done. Enjoy.

Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

One of these pictures reminds me of Gunz. >_>
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Playing with perspective can be a tricky thing lucky your picture mostly has a one point perspective so that makes it a bit easier. What you want to do is pretend you are standing right behind the other guy (not konrad) looking toward the door and think about where would my eye be focused? I made a simple line sketch of just the architecture you will notice a faded black line running horizontally that is the horizon then I put a red dot to symbolize my focus point(also known as the vanishing point) In you picture you will see that all your lines go a different direction that is why it maybe difficult. Honestly, I like the artistic style and wouldn't want you to change it but if you want to play around with realism try using a one point perspective for scenes like this and two point perspective if you want to show the same building going to directions

AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

That's all very well and good for an accurate picture, but when you want something emphasised his way is fine, in fact; his looks better than it would done in your fashion imho, bringing out just the right parts.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

I agree
Holyknight wrote:Honestly, I like the artistic style and wouldn't want you to change it but if you want to play around with realism...
Was just trying to ease the difficulty hehe
Konrad wrote:Perspective work is hard in Paint, nearly impossible to get it all correctly, but this is as much as I can expose before feeling i spend too much time on a sketch.
Drethek

Post by Drethek »

The thing is, the inaccurate perspective is a nice style because it seems to allow freedom and acts as its own art.

Not only that, but it means he can draw his pictures in probably minutes max.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

Oh wow, thats nice Eli. I'll try that, real helpful. Teachers back in high school art class tried to explain me this, but... cartoonist stays a cartoonist.

Yeah i agree with everyone, perspective isnt always the key, peeps like Escher did some crazy things with it, giving their pictures a feeling of completeness without ever perfecting the correct perspective.
However, yes, thats what i kinda was aiming for, and realized that once i make one background building, i gotta make the rest of them in approximately right perspective.
Hard part in MS Paint is the first part - imagining where you want yourself to be positioned. I draw them from scratch, white page, no photos to help me start or anything, so sometimes i have to redo the whole thing because i picked wrong place for the imaginary "camera".

Then i specuated that some medieval buildings may be crooked or hald broken, or something.

Another thing i was aiming at is the effect of worm eye, they use it in some movies, like... Merlin and Behind Enemy Lines, i think. Saw it done in Fight Club too, and Resident Evil. When the camera goes forward fast, but then zooms out, creating a double deep vertigo effect, when perspective skews for a moment. Not sure if you know what i mean, but it's a moment when buildings closer, seems overly close, and buildings further seem overly far.

Well, in any event, i have received 4 more character sketch requests, so... let me get on em. I'll have em done eventually. I'll keep the thread updated.

It would really help if your character interacted with mine ingame. People who i dont really know will be harder to draw, because i need to put in the soul.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I must say I like the "surreal" effekt of the perspectives more than one "central" viewpoint, it somehow fits to the scene and I hope you keep them coming.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

My next request: Julius Rothman.

Hope you like it.
Once again, the better you describe your char to me, the easier.
I draw people how I see them, not necessarily how they are, obviously.
So feedback is welcome, but dont expect them to be supergood or at all accurate.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

Another char sketch request to fill the collection.

Jorokar.

Irania

Post by Irania »

Arr, you'd better do a REALLY good job on Irania!!! You know what she looks like!
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

You're just amazing, Konrad! It's awesome! :D :D
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

Of course, no collection would be complete without this one in it.

HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

your linear perspective is very believable well done. Even without it I love your art style. I am planning on doing Character Avatars of players of illarion for my senior capstone so get ready to send me pics of your characters if you like especially larger pics so I have a working knowledge of what they look like.
Elsi

Post by Elsi »

Have you ever looked at The Gimp? It's completely free, and it allows you to work in layers (much like photoshop). It gives you a lot more flexibility than paint.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

not only have i looked at it, i have it. as well is fireworks, photoshop, and ms image composer.
yet only Paint lets me do what i need to. i am not a painter, only cartoonist. Besides if i work in Paint, nobody has high expectations :)
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

:twisted: Love the Dain one..as well as all of them.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

Nalani Marescot.

I kinda went sloppy on the background. My first sketches didnt have a background at all, i only really do it to give some sort of depth, not just having a white blank behind the characters, who are, naturally my main focus here.

phoo, you guys keeping me busy.

Ayla

Post by Ayla »

LMAO!

I literally laughed when I saw this. It fits her PERFECTLY! Especially with the whole story and all..

Absolutely LOVE it!

*Continues chuckling*
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

Hahaha,
That's awesome bro.

<3 it.
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

A sketch that woke me up at 7am when i saw it in a dream.

Rawn

Post by Rawn »

Nice work :D
Boremier

Post by Boremier »

That's pretty damn awesome if I do say so myself! Maybe in time you could do a sketch of either Boremier or Azzler :wink:
Noradur

Post by Noradur »

I'd like to see the ogre headshot :)
Konrad Knox

Post by Konrad Knox »

Drathe Blue
about time too.

Amras Telemnar

Post by Amras Telemnar »

Konrad Knox wrote:Done. Enjoy.

Great work!!!
:lol: