Messages for entering special areas

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Q-wert

Messages for entering special areas

Post by Q-wert »

Just got a simple idea that could improve the atmosphere.

There could be simple messages for entering and maybe leaving
the graveyard, crypt, library, hospital, academy, crafthouse, casles, shrines (malachin, bragon for example)
and other places like that.

German example for the 'secret dungeon':

Es schlägt dir ein süßlicher Verwesungsgestank entgegen.In den finsteren Ecken voll alter Spinnenweben raschelt es unheilsvoll.

Just an idea, what do you think about it?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Sounds pretty useless to me.
Ivar Kraftimarm

Post by Ivar Kraftimarm »

sounds pretty good to me.

there are things without a graphic and you can describe it better with a sentence (for example stench :P).
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Ivar Kraftimarm wrote:
there are things without a graphic and you can describe it better with a sentence (for example stench :P).
Imagination!
Ivar Kraftimarm

Post by Ivar Kraftimarm »

not all have an imagination in such a high gear as you ;)
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I assume, but it just doesn't sound worth it to me.
Harald Hradradr

Post by Harald Hradradr »

Hm, I somehow like that idea. It encourages roleplaying when acting properly to the enviroment message. And it seems to be good for the overall atmosphere of the game. It is like the descriptions a game master gives while P&P roleplaying.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I don't see how a simple message of "graveyard" when entering would encourage RP. The game has always been about RPing emotes of things not seen. The graveyard is very obvious, and any other message could actually interfere with RP.shrugs
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:I don't see how a simple message of "graveyard" when entering would encourage RP.

Where does it say ANYWHERE that it would be a one word message. He even gives a 2 sentence example in German. I don't speak German but I can at least gather that 17 German words aren't going to be the equivalent of one English one.
Harald Hradradr

Post by Harald Hradradr »

It is NOT a simple "You enter the graveyeard" message. It would be more like "You recognize the smell of foul fumes. The stench drives you back for several seconds." Or something that alike.

Edit: Thanks Alex for pointing out that again. You seem to be more harsh then me. :D
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Uh.. you then are talking to one that does not like "He picks his nose", "He farts", "He falls to the side", or the number of others ig that my chars ignore... :wink:

If I wanted these messages.. I would RP them myself. If I wanted to continue to receive them everytime I went to the same place...most would consider my RP (if I did the messages in RP) very boring and repetitive after awhile.
Grugnak Meglos

Post by Grugnak Meglos »

Once upon a time, there was a game in which atmospheric music started to play when one entered a tavern or a cave. Some people decided to take this music out of the game and replace it with deathlike silence. The name of the game was Illarion ;-).
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The reason for this is:

The map changed, and noone had a idea how that music stuff worked. ;-) It got never included again.

But also, the work to write all those messanges, and the work to avoid spam ( so the messange triggers all few seconds ) is not as less as some would think.

Nitram
maryday

Post by maryday »

Not i really caught fire on this proposal,

yet i have to admit some more features cloned from the "cobwebs" might bring some, even if disturbing, depth to the game.
If I wanted these messages.. I would RP them myself. If I wanted to continue to receive them everytime I went to the same place...most would consider my RP (if I did the messages in RP) very boring and repetitive after awhile.
Simply leave the graveyard behind.

Strangewise even my RL depressions are gone since i no more go there.

:wink: :?:
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Nitram wrote:The reason for this is:

The map changed, and noone had a idea how that music stuff worked. ;-) It got never included again.

But also, the work to write all those messanges, and the work to avoid spam ( so the messange triggers all few seconds ) is not as less as some would think.

Nitram
Volunteers?
Sundo Raca

Post by Sundo Raca »

I hope not. I like how the game as it is encourages you to think for yourself, and be imaginative concerning the environment. Its one of the things which makes this game kinda stand out :)
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Yes but there are players who heavily relie on what the engine offers them.

And then the big discussion starts if someone roleplays differently to what the engine says "No! You did NOT roast these fish, they are still raw!"

And those hints are something to work with (not that you have to follow them everytime you hear them), I'd say yes to this idea (sometime in future)