Accomplishments in Illarion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Faladron

Accomplishments in Illarion

Post by Faladron »

As Illarion is pretty much an "open end" game, I am interrested to know what "personal aims" and "motivations" other players have to keep on playing.

What do you wish to accomplish with your character(s)?

Do you set up some basic guidelines as to who your character is and then toss him in-game and see in which direction he is being influenced?
Do you see your accomplishment in "seeing him grow and develop"?

Do you write pages over pages of character description, history, milestone and key-events in his past that made him what he is now and try to follow that to the letter, trying to stick to how a person with his background would react to a situation that might present itself via roleplay and therefor think you've accomplished something by playing a "consistent and credible" character?

Do you rather enjoy the socialization with other characters, the love, the hate, the tragedy, or the fact that a character evolves (technically skillwise) so he gains more influence and things to do In-game?

Or do you play for absolutely different reasons?

If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to hear some opinions then post my own, without too much comments and arguing about different views (I promise).
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

A mix of all that? :P
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I try to get my characters to do what I want to do in life, and I believe that most others agree. They try to keep their characters happy, now if your a warrior that may man being the strongest warrior in the world, or if your a peasent, a simple life settleing down, ya know...a life. And for a mage, to be the best mage I could, and getting the most knowledge I could.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Vern Kron wrote:I try to get my characters to do what I want to do in life, and I believe that most others agree. They try to keep their characters happy, now if your a warrior that may man being the strongest warrior in the world, or if your a peasent, a simple life settleing down, ya know...a life. And for a mage, to be the best mage I could, and getting the most knowledge I could.
Exactly this is a probelm.
"My char should be the best one!" *pgs like hell*

My char lives his life. Bad things happen, good things happen. I don't try alway to get the best for my char, I just try to have fun playing Illarion. ANd I have fun if I have good RP. Even if you char lost a fight, or his house get destroyed it can be fun...if the rp is good.
Gro'bul

Re: Accomplishments in Illarion

Post by Gro'bul »

Faladron wrote:As Illarion is pretty much an "open end" game, I am interrested to know what "personal aims" and "motivations" other players have to keep on playing.

Do you set up some basic guidelines as to who your character is and then toss him in-game and see in which direction he is being influenced?

Do you write pages over pages of character description, history, milestone and key-events in his past that made him what he is now and try to follow that to the letter, trying to stick to how a person with his background would react to a situation that might present itself via roleplay and therefor think you've accomplished something by playing a "consistent and credible" character?

Do you rather enjoy the socialization with other characters, the love, the hate, the tragedy, or the fact that a character evolves (technically skillwise) so he gains more influence and things to do In-game?

If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to hear some opinions then post my own, without too much comments and arguing about different views (I promise).
Currently I have no motivations to play.

Yeah, I make a general concept, then chuck him in the game stream and see how it works out. Its always interesting took look back at where they started and where they are.

I never wrote a single page about any of my chars, not that theres nothing to write, but I don't see much point in it I guess.

The open structure of the game is really what I like (or liked) because it was a open system, ripe for innovation and mercantile, instead of having a npc around every corner. Unfortunately every crafter has to fight now, which is why I said liked. I played the game for years with a skilled crafter with no mentionable fighting skills.
Llama

Post by Llama »

To be honest, the only reason I play certain characters, because of their own personal motivations.

There was a period when there were a lot of lizards online, and I used to log Szrenszor in very often, but currently, the number died down, so I'm not playing him at all.

Kawako I was logging in due to the new runes, changes in his life.

To be honest, the motivations which keep me playing, are the changes in my characters' life.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I play for perfection of myself, it goes THROUGH the unconscious.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

ziele? die nordmark als stadt etablieren.
motivation?
ich spiel gern aufbaustrategie.
ich spiel gern mit leuten in meiner eigenen sprache.
ich mag die verrueckten, die sich da so langsam in der mark sammeln.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Faladron wrote:
I want to see what they change into.
I make up a story of the character in my head to figure out how they will act, then I toss them in.

Yes, I see accomplishment in that.
I don't write it, but I keep it in mind. I do try to keep my roleplay consistent though.

I love that part about Illarion, all of the relationships make it so much fun.

Technically, I do nothing almost :P My only char that has skills beyond blue is Az, and I've had him for nearly two years (They're turquoise).
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

What I meant by striving to be the best...is not exactly what I meant. I don't just PG like hell, for the past...two weeks? I have crafted all of...17 bottles, and some plates. For a while I couldn't craft at all, because I was rping being injured. Probably longer than I should have, and then I had to go into hiding, which also prevented me from crafting. Don't say I PG for hours on end...I do want to be good, but I am not going to go craft for no reason, or just disposing of it.
My characters live their life, and train. The training is PART of their life, and as such, if he wants to make money he ends up training. It is almost his job to train his skill, but to train his skill he has to have a need to train it. If there is no need he doesn't train. Like...A person places an order for this weapon. I make the weapon, and that increases my skill. Then if I get a higher level, I experiment with the new item, to see what it takes to make it. After that I wait till I want/need to make something.
I would not go out on a warrior and sit by the flies all day, to PG, I might spend a few minutes there, and try to bring some one along, if I go to the flies at all. I probably would go to the graveyard and get rid of mummies, because I do not think the mummies should be disturbing the graveyard.
But that is just my idea, and I was trying to clear it up from you thinking I PG all the time, to I mainly RP, and using RP my skills get better.
Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

I don't think Crafter's need to fight...
My Crafter doesn't fight.
If you can't stand people being able to beat on you..
Then play a Fighter.
I don't think there's much point in playing a Crafter if you're going to go around and act like a Fighter... No, but that is an entirely different point to the OP.

My motivation to play is to keep on telling the story; My characters backgrounds are secondary to their history ingame. When I first joined I was fascinated when people told me all they had done, and what they had achieved ingame. It just so happens that I have to deal with other people to make any kind of achievement, as PGing at the mummies seems hardly worthwhile!
I am entirely selfish in that I want my character's personnal story to flourish and grow. I like to think when I let my children die their obutuaries will not read:

"Killed hundreds of flies
Attacked some settlements.."

But be much more interesting and long-lasting.
Dariya

Post by Dariya »

Faladron wrote: What do you wish to accomplish with your character(s)?
with my char? my char is a tool for me ... a tool for mainly nice rp ;)
sure, I had a story in mind, when I started, a rough one to be honest, which I figured out more in detail later on, as I "got to know" my char ;)
and surely I do see an accomplishment in the development of my char ... social wise, (much lesser) skills wise, attitudes, yes, my chars develope with their surrounding
not pages, but yes, my chars have a history, one of them even more detailed than the others (which you can find here)
and yes, in my opinion I do stick to this history, otherwise it would be nonsense to continue with this char
the main emphasis I put on RP, definitely
my chars don't have the skills they should have for the "role" they play within Illarion, but I mainly don't care
I simply play for fun, it's my precious sparetime I spend in Illarion
if I don't feel like playing I don't, I don't feel an "urge" to play every day.
And fun does not mean "being entertained" but "being ready to entertain" ;)
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Faladron wrote:What do you wish to accomplish with your character(s)?
I want to roleplay by using them. Thats fun to me and thats all I need my characters for.
Faladron wrote:Do you set up some basic guidelines as to who your character is and then toss him in-game and see in which direction he is being influenced?
I droped my first character into that game, without any targets or ideas what he could become. That character became the character i played far longest. He developed due the characters around him. That was real fun.
Other characters I used to play, had clear plans what to do. I did not play
one of those characters with clear targets pretty long.
For me I can say: The less targets I have with my character, the longer I will play it. Its just more interessting and less demotivating. Since the plans you can set for your character, are not always reachable. And thats rather worse.
Faladron wrote:Do you see your accomplishment in "seeing him grow and develop"?
Yep.
Faladron wrote:Do you write pages over pages of character description, history, milestone and key-events in his past that made him what he is now and try to follow that to the letter, trying to stick to how a person with his background would react to a situation that might present itself via roleplay and therefor think you've accomplished something by playing a "consistent and credible" character?
Nope. For some characters I wrote a background story. But only after I played them already some time. In case such a bachground story is needed to be told ingame, I just tell the others something. Thats included in the real background story of the character later, in case there is one.
Faladron wrote:Do you rather enjoy the socialization with other characters, the love, the hate, the tragedy, or the fact that a character evolves (technically skillwise) so he gains more influence and things to do In-game?
Both. I really like the social roleplay between the characters, in case it does not lead to a soap-opera story. But its cool to if you have some skills and can do some things, others with less skill can't do. Even more I like that was I call "global roleplay". So roleplay around politics in a bigger style. Roleplay between towns or guilds that is not that "peace with everyone" style. I like that roleplay with some tensions between groups of players. Where you have no real relation between the single characters, but if you meet one of the others you still have something to roleplay about.
Dunno if that was understandable or not. Its hard to explain. But Illarion does not have this.
Faladron wrote:Or do you play for absolutely different reasons?
Yep i have. One of my reasons to play is as well to provide some fun to other players, hoping that Illarion gets all in all better.

Nitram
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Hm, it's interesting reading some of these.
- Obviously fun for me and others.
- Go through nice, unforgettable moments (leading to fun)
- Have a char which can effect another char, city, relations, etc... (leading to fun)
Faladron wrote:Do you set up some basic guidelines as to who your character is and then toss him in-game and see in which direction he is being influenced?
Totally agreed with Nitram. I had no idea with my first char, and he's the longest I've been playing now and still do. All those with aims and targets, I end up inactive with them after a while sadly. In fact, the second I most play with was meant a temporary char with some aims, but due to very unepexcted things which I have not planned, he's no more temporary ^^
One of the nicest things.
Faladron wrote:Do you write pages over pages of character description, history, milestone and key-events in his past that made him what he is now and try to follow that to the letter, trying to stick to how a person with his background would react to a situation that might present itself via roleplay and therefor think you've accomplished something by playing a "consistent and credible" character?
I always write a history (not necassarily pages over pages) and description of my char, because it makes me think more about the char and his/her behaviour during various situations, and also because I could forget the description/history. But I don't really feel I've accomplished anything jsut by playing a "consistent and credible character".
Faladron wrote:Do you rather enjoy the socialization with other characters, the love, the hate, the tragedy, or the fact that a character evolves (technically skillwise) so he gains more influence and things to do In-game?
Yup, both. The first is more fun for me, but the second can be too, although it may sometimes be a little boring. But it's done to gain more influence and for more possibilties with the char.
More or less, that is it.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

To give the character a life of his own. To feel as he feels. To act, as he acts. When I chuckles at a Joke, he chuckles as well. When I am IG, I become the character. All of his fears, goals and ambitions become my own. The character comes alive as "We" make friends, enemies and wander through this second life called Illarion. :P
I have said in the past that I create a 'stereotypical' character, then give it a single fatal 'flaw'....to make it feel more "human". A Handicap so to speak. Then he/she is tossed into the mix of other characters and they develop as the story develops. They change and become greater than I could have planned. Decisions are made by inspiration and serendipity. The true 'spontenaity' of it is true to RL.
I certainly do. However, I also see accomplishment in realizing the point at which a character should die, instead of hanging on in obscurity. There is accomplishment in knowing a character has lived a 'good' and full life.
I actually write very little unless it is important to the 'basic' personality. I let the character write the rest.
Not really. The socialization is fun, and I try to be as real and creative as possible, but not a big motivator for me. I rather enjoy making my character 'useful' and needed by others. There is real satisfaction in creating characters that help others enjoy their game. Sometimes, to be useful, you have to have some skills and/or items they need.
I also play because I have friends here, the Game is like an old "neighborhood" to me. It's almost like a Soap-Opera. "What devilry will befall TrollsBane soon? Tune in tomorrow to find out!" I always tell new players that half of the game is in the forums. The forums and the IG atmosphere are what make the game what it is.

It has become familiar and comfortable. I don't think I'll ever leave it. Love me, Hate me, I don't care. IG we are all equals, helping each other to create an alternate universe that we each can escape into at least for a while........and perhaps come away having learned something to apply to our Real Lives.

That's Illarion!
wolfsword

Post by wolfsword »

Well...
Whatever my char does, I run on with it and see where it goes, and would play as i would the role i have as in larping....
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Mmm.. my first goal with Aristeaus was to kill an orc named Ashburg.

Then create a guild to eliminate the german speaking comunity ;)

But nah, seriously kill Ashburg!
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I enjoy a mix of having a character with high, badass fighting skills and the roleplaying that's involved.

Open endedness is fun too...my only beef with the current system is that it takes so much time and effort to do things that would otherwise be fun. For example, Konstantin pointed this out...it used to be that oh, you were talking to somebody, and all of a sudden you dug in the dirt with a sickle and poof, out came a flower. Then you gave that flower to an elf or something. It was fun. Now it's like, you have to find certain spots, you have to have a decent herb-finding skill, etc.

So the conversations are great...but I wish that the environment of skill gaining and socializing with other characters wasn't so separate. The number 1 appeal in a lot of RPGs is dungeon crawling or going through some exciting trash with your friends while they talked to you, see who got out alive, or something. Nowadays it's too serious.

But still, Illarion is fun as it always will be.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Good to see that not every topic has to end in flames.

That was a good example on how a community can use a board for exchanging insights among each other in a civilized way.

There's still hope for Illarion as it seems :wink:
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Damn, I thought someone else had this topic covered. Flamers, to war!

Eitherway, on a serious level.
I used to like teh Illarions because it was the first rp game I ever found, and I liked it. At first I games like others too, back when skillgain was random, eventually I started only rping, back then when nearly everyone you saw spoke English and would rp with you.

I basicly rped rped and rped with the very rare trip to kill some skelatons.
Eventually times changed, cybe.. erm rp'd with the same people because I didn't to walk around for an hour and then only finding someone interested in selling 50 leathers or 50 coals. If someone else found me I'm fine with rpin' along.

I really liked the interaction between people, relationships growing in many ways. Experiancing things that you couldn't just go out and do in rl without many conciquences. I liked to put myself in the mindset of my character, to live and feel his emotions(sorta.).
I liked to have my main and longest lived character Kevin Lightdot strive for something and gain it eventually. But then people started leaving and shit went wrong. They turned the Darlok's revival thing to german only and finished it off while not caring about who was involved before it seems.
What he strives for now, no idea, I'd like him to be pretty strong but that's hard when you have horrible stats and don't like to pg all the time.

More people left, rp grew less, I spent a month in denial, got a life, got bored of life, came ig some more, got bored and annoyed by almost everyone ignoring my characters at the times I could play. Rped with William, Dominic and those guys because I was too lazy to find anyone else that would do stuff.

Matt told me orcs where awesome.
I made an orc.
Now I play Rukka and basicly just play as it comes because I'm semi-addicted and don't have anything better to do. There's not really any character development, growth and that stuff left. Rukka is a 20 year old orc with a pissy and sometimes temperament but a good heart and some degree of intelligence. I just play to play these days, going as a team to kill stuff and rp in the meantime is nice, so are treasurehunts and all that.
Also it's nice to play a character who stands up and says "NO, screw you, I'm not your slave, I'm no smelly orc, I'm going to eat your children's brains with hot salsa if you stay at this."

I'd like to give something more special on an emotional level(No boring friendships where everything goes great with goodie goodie characters.) a try again when I'm not tired, but I'm too lazy to walk around and wait for that to happen.

That sums it up in a non-orderly somewhat chaotic 6 paragraphs.

Exept for the second question.
Kevin I made with the concept of "He has a good heart and believes in truth." So basicly no concept aside from "He's a good guy". He evolved a ton through stuff, though at start this was delayed due to me being 12 years old and wanting to play a hero like the rest of the guys.
I loved to see him change, evolve and grow with all the things that happened, good or bad, but mostly bad.