Racial Bonus

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

AlexRose

Racial Bonus

Post by AlexRose »

To encourage the use of, instead of all using slash weapons, races using "suiting" weapons. e.g. Orcs: Warhammers, Dwarves: Axes etc. I suggest a racial bonus to each type of weapon and a racial minus to another.

e.g. Bonus:
Orcs -> Warhammers
Dwarves -> Axes
Elves -> Bows
Lizards -> Normal wrestling? Slash?
Halflings -> Daggers
Goblins -> Throwing weapons
Fairies -> ???
Gnomes -> ???
Humans -> None? Slash?

And each has a minus etc.

Discuss.
Elhrímnir

Post by Elhrímnir »

Humans - Slash
Theon

Post by Theon »

This' the best idea I've seen in a while, even if it is Alex's. :wink:

This would be good in lessening the sword using warrior count I guess, to add some variation. Gnomes could be good with a crossbow as it's the most machine like player weapon I can think of (besides siege engines and the like but I've only ever seen them used rarely in quests in past years), but it doesn't seem greatly suitable. Fairies, I'd say daggers or thrown weapons?

Might piss some players off though, if they've spent time on raising a weapon's skill only to find they'd be better using another.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Pisses off mages when the power gets decreased and casting times are added to some spells and mana usage is put up etc. but we have to put up with it ;)

I think it'd be a nice change. We could have some Gimli's and Legolas's about xD
maryday

Re: Racial Bonus

Post by maryday »

AlexRose wrote: Halflings -> Daggers
Humans -> None
And each has a minus etc.
Halflings -> Daggers/Rapiers :lol: ((you see i am very interested in improving the structure for all.))

Hey. I think there are already different + and - to damage and hit-chance depending on STR, DEX and PER..are there?
((And even more+/- depending on the weapon..i hope :shock: ))

((hurhurr,ma0rcs19s18d18p19+2v`n henaxs!!1111!!!!))

Erm. nice idea after all i think, yet i dare not to suspect a positive estimation in concern of the effort/use.

--Btw..what about racial ITEMS?

-Goblin-Mortar
-Halfling-Spoon
-Elf-Carvingstaff((yes, magical))
-Ork..erm..smithing hammer
-dwarven crucible/pincers

..on and on, d`get my point?
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

good idea.

(let me add something selfish: then barbarians should be an independent "race" with axes and spears as preferred weapons)
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

I get the feeling Goblins would use slings. And also, that they prefer poking things with spears and sticks. They like to poke things.

*Pokes*
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Goblins like to jump on your back and claw your eyes out...ahh yes...right after they poked you yes thats right.
But taking the skill from the humans and giving them immeadeatly back is a bit "weird" don't you think.
Beldir

Post by Beldir »

Goblins like to run away.. :wink:
So.. i would say, no bonusses for them, only rp'ed ones, like hiding.
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

As long as each 'fighing skill' or 'way of fighting' is not balanced (= chars with slashing weapons have same chance to pwn as chars with bow or daggers) it makes little sense to discuss this topic any further.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

why should somebody, who chooses a toothpick as weapon make the same damage, as somebody with a good sword?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Korm its the TOOTHPICK OF DEATH everyone knows this.
Rugh'toh

Post by Rugh'toh »

I think that the master of martial arts, the master of toothpicks, the master of warhammer and the master of swords all should have the same chance to kill each other in fair duels.

Otherwise everyone would train hard on swords only and leave warhammers etc. out.
Hurrr, that's what is currently going on in game :twisted:
Theon

Post by Theon »

Other fighting skills come into combat.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

It's abit of a dodgy topic seeing as puncture concussion and slashing are balanced different to eachover anyway.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Retlak wrote:It's abit of a dodgy topic seeing as puncture concussion and slashing are balanced different to eachover anyway.
Executor

Post by Executor »

Noone really uses bows though... Making elves better with it, and worse with other things would be kinda unfair. At least til people start using bows. But more racial differences is a good idea I think.
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

My one fighter char uses a bow... I don't use him that much cause he's not a crafter and has to buy all the arrows... which is way expensive.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Err...I dislike this. In reality this makes no sense. Why would a halfling be better with a dagger? Also make a note that the war hammer is a poor choice for most orcs. It is a two handed weapon that deals high damage with decent strength. It makes no sense for an orc. An elf with a bow?.... This would almost limit races to certain weapon classes.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

This would almost limit races to certain weapon classes.
i think, that this might be exactly the idea of the proposal.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Korm Kormsen wrote:
This would almost limit races to certain weapon classes.
i think, that this might be exactly the idea of the proposal.
I think more limitations are less fun. It would be like..."Oh, theres an orc, he is using a concussion weapon...I had better put my heavy armor on for this one." The orc would think. "This sucks, I really didn't want to use anything in the concussion class because my attributes are more agile."(Not all orcs are brutes...)

I don't think either one of the two above things is a good thing.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

You could still play a slash orc, there'd just be a bonus to playing a concussion orc. Seems logical that the average orc based on how they are built would use conc, but all I ever see anywhere is slash. Seems a bit weird to have halflings, dwarves and orcs chopping people down with magical longswords instead of stabbing them, swinging an axe at them and smashing them with a huge hammer (respectively).
Garen

Post by Garen »

i also think this is a bad idea, because look at humans today, in the midlages, or whenever you feel like, humans are specialzed in almost all difrent types of weapons, swords, knives, bows, staves,etc. Why would we be "naturaly" better with anyone of those?
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Garen wrote:i also think this is a bad idea, because look at humans today, in the midlages, or whenever you feel like, humans are specialzed in almost all difrent types of weapons, swords, knives, bows, staves,etc. Why would we be "naturaly" better with anyone of those?
No race would be naturally better in real life. A person might be better with a certain type(stats).
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

I think we better leave it how it is.. Currently different attributes effect how well you use different weapon types. That's enough...
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Retlak wrote:I think we better leave it how it is.. Currently different attributes effect how well you use different weapon types. That's enough...
Yes.