Inactive mage teachers / Inaktive Magierlehrer

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderators: Gamemasters, Community Managers

Developer
Posts: 7638
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:51 am

Post by Nitram » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:34 pm

Mr. Cromwell wrote:And like I have said before: Those PO-mages who feel 'that they have worked for nothing' now really are quite selfish and sad people. Lets keep the not-working system and make everyone wait because I had to wait too.

Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:20 pm

Post by Retlak » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:44 pm

I liked Haedrians idea strangely.

Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Post by Taeryon Silverlight » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:03 pm

Nitram wrote:
Mr. Cromwell wrote:And like I have said before: Those PO-mages who feel 'that they have worked for nothing' now really are quite selfish and sad people. Lets keep the not-working system and make everyone wait because I had to wait too.
I didn't work, I had fun. And it's selfish of those, who don't give the new teachers a chance. Also, it would be nice if the Mage-POs could decide the rules together. And not only a single gm or some of the Staff who actually don't rp a teacher.

Developer
Posts: 7638
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:51 am

Post by Nitram » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:11 pm

Sorry that you don't get the chance. But there has to be a border at some point. The ones before you failed. One allways has to suffer.

Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Post by Taeryon Silverlight » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:22 pm

Nitram wrote:Sorry that you don't get the chance. But there has to be a border at some point. The ones before you failed. One allways has to suffer.
Allright then. You said that it will take some time for you to make these NPCs. How about that. You temporarily put in the rules that I suggested and give us the chance to show that we can do it until you've finished that NPC-stuff. And when we can make everybody happy until that day, you forget about the NPCs or limit them to some easy Spells (f.e MES PEN, LHOR HEPT/RA and ORL KAH)

Developer
Posts: 7638
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:51 am

Post by Nitram » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 pm

We started to rework the magic system. Who tells you that there will be a MES PEN? :P

Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Post by Taeryon Silverlight » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:24 pm

I said for example. So what do you say to my idea?

Posts: 186
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:26 pm

Post by Executor » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Listen, I dont say this because I think its unfair that others dont have to wait. I've been saying this for all the time I have been waiting too. My point is, do we really want lots of mages?

Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Post by Taeryon Silverlight » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:32 pm

If they actually have an idea how the magic works and use that knowledge for rp gain and not only know about the engine, I don't have a prob with many mages.

Posts: 186
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:26 pm

Post by Executor » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:34 pm

Taeryon Silverlight wrote:If they actually have an idea how the magic works and use that knowledge for rp gain and not only know about the engine, I don't have a prob with many mages.
I do.

Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:35 am

Post by Amira Ranevskaya » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:36 pm

Damien plays a mage teacher. I think he just wants to make sure that they know who is active or not.

I agree with Taeryon though. It may be a good idea for mage or mage to be players to decide something. Plus the last teachers may have failed, but since the teachers to be have gone through this they may be less likely to skip town as they know what it is like. Alex has already started to teach and Taeryon will start teaching soon, neither will run off, I know that.

Personally I wouldn't mind an NPC who can get people started, but I still feel that it is a good idea to have some sort of player controled mage teachers. I personally am willing to wait for a mage player to teach. I'm here to rp and enjoy it, not learn from an NPC who won't rp back.

The system isn't perfect. But I garentee if you take away player mage teachers completely and make it solely an NPC someone will suffer. Most likely the staff from loss of players.

Developer
Posts: 7638
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:51 am

Post by Nitram » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:44 pm

The system isn't perfect. But I garentee if you take away player mage teachers completely and make it solely an NPC someone will suffer. Most likely the staff from loss of players.
Now the second time. Player teachers are NOT REMOVED. You even get advantages as student of a player teacher, compared to a NPC teached person.

Nitram

Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:35 am

Post by Amira Ranevskaya » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:58 pm

A) Who said I was talking to you specifically?

B) That is how everyone else seems to be understanding the situation. It sounds as if mage teachers are being removed, hence why everyone is getting defencive. Expecialy mage teachers or mage teachers to be.

Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:48 pm
Location: U.S. of America, Massachusetts

Post by Richard Cypher » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:41 am

Estralis Seborian wrote:Newbies usually will not wait a year until they can play the role they want to.

They wait half an hour, then they abandon the game for good.
This is true. My original approach to Illarion when I first started playing ages ago, was to be a mage. My original character sucked and had crappy stats. So I recreated him as an elf, with the proper stats.

Now three years later, my elf can speak ancient perfectly. Thats it. I have really given up on him ever learning magic, even though thats what he is built for. Now he just crafts things and RP's.

My only reason for giving up is because the majority of students chosen know the PO on MSN or some other chat system, and thats why they are chosen as students. Some n00b who just starts the game is not gone to be picked. Not because he does not RP well, because he does not know anyone.

I had the same problem for ages. I did not use the forums. I did not have MSN. Finally, I gave in. I have noticed since I started using MSN many more opportunities to learn magic. You can also send daily messages to mage teachers on MSN saying tech me magic or I break your legs.

Either way it is more effective. Just RPing a mage really has no effect IG, except to get you PKed by warriors who do not like magic users. Especially since you can not cast crap.

Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:50 am

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:48 am

Richard Cypher wrote:My only reason for giving up is because the majority of students chosen know the PO on MSN or some other chat system, and thats why they are chosen as students. Some n00b who just starts the game is not gone to be picked. Not because he does not RP well, because he does not know anyone.
Did not have her original mage teacher on msn, nor chatted in the forum, however DID RP with char, sent in application, and made an effort to see char ig.
Most original students were picked because they saw char ig.

Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:48 pm
Location: U.S. of America, Massachusetts

Post by Richard Cypher » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:57 am

Kaila Galathil wrote:
Richard Cypher wrote:My only reason for giving up is because the majority of students chosen know the PO on MSN or some other chat system, and thats why they are chosen as students. Some n00b who just starts the game is not gone to be picked. Not because he does not RP well, because he does not know anyone.
Did not have her original mage teacher on msn, nor chatted in the forum, however DID RP with char, sent in application, and made an effort to see char ig.
Most original students were picked because they saw char ig.
Ehhh false. I frequently played my elf IG for a year and a half. Finally, got an ancient book. Played another 6 to 9 months, of IG active time with RPing and what not with mages and nothing. I have said this for ages. If I ever did become a mage, I would become a teacher. I am also an active player of Illarion. I play every day. I would eventually become a teacher. What we need is active people for teachers.

Posts: 4790
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:18 pm
Location: Megajiggawhat?

Post by AlexRose » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:37 am

Well the main problem with some people is main chars.

People have their "extra" mage chars who only pop up when there's a chance to be taught. The best way is to simply be active with the scholar char. And don't anyone DARE tell me that it's impossible to play a mage att char with no runes, or impossible to have fun because I did this for years and had no problems doing anything.

You can't expect to turn up once in a blue moon with an inactive char who noone knows as a result of this and randomly be taught.

(And no I'm not aiming this at you Chris so don't get defensive.)

Posts: 687
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:48 pm
Location: U.S. of America, Massachusetts

Post by Richard Cypher » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:28 am

AlexRose wrote:Well the main problem with some people is main chars.

People have their "extra" mage chars who only pop up when there's a chance to be taught. The best way is to simply be active with the scholar char. And don't anyone DARE tell me that it's impossible to play a mage att char with no runes, or impossible to have fun because I did this for years and had no problems doing anything.

You can't expect to turn up once in a blue moon with an inactive char who noone knows as a result of this and randomly be taught.

(And no I'm not aiming this at you Chris so don't get defensive.)
Screw it I am getting defensive. No not really. Will's point is right. Only active players will even be noticed. Another main reason I should have added for why no one picked me for a pupil when I was active more is because there were no teachers. There wre even less active teachers then, compared to now. So I agree we need something to change this about.

Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:42 pm
Location: Heaven and Hell

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:14 am

If you are going trough this, at least make the teaching room opened for everyone or just remove the teaching penalty and demands, letting you teach at any level(my personal favorite) .
Making the difference between npc and player thought runes, would also be a good idea.

Posts: 1346
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:59 pm
Location: My *SPECIAL* Place

Post by Aristeaus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Females find teachers easier than males :p The teachers want cyber buddies.

Posts: 186
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:26 pm

Post by Executor » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:42 pm

Chris' point about how one gets a teacher, is true to some extent, sadly. However that is the only real prolbem I think we have with the teaching system at the moment. Is it really better that 50% of the Illa chars are mages, than to have a little less players?

I supose we might as well see how the new system is like before we continue this discussion. Could be good;)

Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Post by Taeryon Silverlight » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:55 pm

Richard Cypher wrote:
Estralis Seborian wrote:Newbies usually will not wait a year until they can play the role they want to.

They wait half an hour, then they abandon the game for good.
This is true. My original approach to Illarion when I first started playing ages ago, was to be a mage. My original character sucked and had crappy stats. So I recreated him as an elf, with the proper stats.

Now three years later, my elf can speak ancient perfectly. Thats it. I have really given up on him ever learning magic, even though thats what he is built for. Now he just crafts things and RP's.

My only reason for giving up is because the majority of students chosen know the PO on MSN or some other chat system, and thats why they are chosen as students. Some n00b who just starts the game is not gone to be picked. Not because he does not RP well, because he does not know anyone.

I had the same problem for ages. I did not use the forums. I did not have MSN. Finally, I gave in. I have noticed since I started using MSN many more opportunities to learn magic. You can also send daily messages to mage teachers on MSN saying tech me magic or I break your legs.

Either way it is more effective. Just RPing a mage really has no effect IG, except to get you PKed by warriors who do not like magic users. Especially since you can not cast crap.
Not true. The only PO I knew of the teachers was Djironnyma. And it wasn't him who took Taeryon as a student. In fact, I added Chris to my contactlist on msn about 4 weeks after he had taken Taer as a student.

Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:20 pm

Post by Retlak » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:07 pm

Bare in mind children, the population won't become largely mages. If many people get taught magic then at first we will have many mages training, learning and doing their lessons, etc.

After they know everything there is probably a large chance they will get bored and switch chars alot. Mages can't do too many fun things alone remember.

Though we do get the few mages that are main chars.

Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: Green again

Post by Kevin Lightdot » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Eh, well, I might have a little idea on lower level runes for the new system.

Say, you have to do an npc quest, it gives you the rune, yet a player teacher has to teach it to you. (Either an item you can not give away, or some other proof of it which the teacher could see.)
2 runes(maybe 3?) per adept per week(so theoreticly by ooc rules a teacher can have as many adepts as he wants), but anyone who appears with the runes and rp's a tiny bit, will be allowed to get it.

It would still require some teachers, but would checkfor ability to rp a little bit the first time a rune is taught to an adept.
It would cut down the waiting list for people searching for teachers quite a bit I think. (assuming there remain about 3 teachers)


Just a possible idea. :wink:

Posts: 7685
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: The VBU is awesome

Post by Llama » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:15 pm

I sincerly like kevin's idea.

Posts: 461
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 5:33 am
Location: In the new privately jet, Arc 170 ^^

Post by Halvdan » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:39 pm

Mhh, vielleicht mach ich doch noch einen Magierlehrling, oder lasse meinen Char Magie erlernen. Das könnte der Nordmark sowohl missfallen andererseits aber auch dabei helfen, drohende Feinde abzuwehren, wer weiss.


Sorry Kormsen, für dieses Post aber das ist nunmal so, ich denke ernsthaft darüber nach.

Posts: 7845
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2001 5:59 pm
Location: Vanima and grey Refuge, of course.

Post by Damien » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:41 pm

Mage teachers were supposed to make sure that their students can RP.
How can you judge if someone RPs or not, if you did not meet him ingame ? I Never accepted apprentices i did not meet ingame before. Same to all other mage teachers usually. No RP, No magic - that's how it was meant to be.

Posts: 771
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Post by Taeryon Silverlight » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:41 pm

Du willst Halvdan ja wohl nicht ernsthaft zum Magier machen oder? Tut mir leid aber jeder der einen Handwerkskrieger-Char als Magielehrling aufnimmt sollte geprügelt werden bis er nicht mehr stehen kann.

Posts: 4790
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:18 pm
Location: Megajiggawhat?

Post by AlexRose » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:41 pm

So instead of having a lesson and the teacher teaching you, a teacher gives you something and you get taught by an npc?

Riiight...

This does NOT encourage rp, and it doesn't help the problem. If someone can't be bothered to cast 2 spells a week, why would they be bothered asking the gms for a special item and giving them to a student twice a week...?

And there are 6 active mage teachers.

Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Location: Green again

Post by Kevin Lightdot » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:50 pm

I did not say that, I said, you do a quest to get something, then go to a teacher with it, and the teacher will after a bit of rp agree to teach it to you, If they want to teach by npc's completely, it'll be even less rp, I just found an inbetween example.

A teacher can still rp a bit with his adepts to make sure they can, but more adepts can be handled, alex. :wink:

Return to “General / Allgemeines (Player Forum)”

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.