Scripters needed

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

I would like to help. I've tried programming before, but usually with harder languages that stumped me. However, I've done a few things in the Aurora scripting engine for Neverwinter Nights 1, and I'm willing to learn. I have almost unlimited free time, except when I go to court or shopping, court once a month, shopping rarely. I have downloaded both sets of documentation and will read them.

I've always wanted to contribute something to a game...or make my own, either or.

However, I have questions.

1.Do I need a special program for either engine, or will Notepad do?
2.Do I need to know a specific type of math for this?
3.Out of curiousity, what is the function of the test server? (dumb question with probably a very likely answer, I know.)

Anyhow, I would like to help. I have lots of ideas (for the magic system and for items) as well as potential.

Signed, Deinarious
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

1. Notepad will do, although some other editor would probably be nicer.
2. Not much of math, just decent high school math. There are some high level math needed to understand some part of the code, but even if you don't understand it, you will be fine i guess.
3. mm... for testing the scripts we made... so most of the bugs will be found and fixed before we release it to the real server.

Probably not really the best answer, but since the higher ups are probably sleeping so I let myself answer it for now ^.^ They can correct me later when they wake up I guess hehe :D
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Thanks.

-edit-Okay I just thought of a question. What are the extensions used for the scripts?
Vilarion
Developer

Post by Vilarion »

Your answers are just fine, oger ;)

In case you use windows you might give UltraEdit a try if you look for a decent editor. But unless you are doing some wierd things it is probably to overloaded for you.

What do you mean by extension? The file names? They are usuallly *.lua, but that is not too important.
pharse

Post by pharse »

1. Notepad will do, although some other editor would probably be nicer.
I use SciTE ( http://scite.en.softonic.com/ ). It supports almost all text data formats and you can define own keywords. It has all necessary functions for me and it is for free ;)
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

i use the tux-writer. it is included in the tuxbox:

http://www.tuxbox.org/
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Thank you for the additional information.

I read over the documentation last night. I still want to help, just might be a while before I decide if I definitely will. I could just submit my ideas.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Deinarious,

i dont think, that the staff is short of ideas.
i am afraid, they are short of manpower, to convert everybodies good ideas in programs...
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

Hey, I would like to help out Illarion.

I have a few months experience in C++, my claim to fame being a Pong game with Allegro, a month in C# which I developed a few boring applications, I heavily edited an ORPG with Visual Basic for a month, and I have a few months experience with Python. So Yes, I have programming experience.

I read through the Lua Documentation, and the NPC Scripting Documentation, its pretty easy to understand.

Whats the next step?
SirOwnU

Post by SirOwnU »

I think I could give it a go. I am analytical. I'm not doing sports or anything right now. I have great ideas. I can figure some things out for my own (like in the game I figured out how to sell things and hunt for fish on my own,) and I am really interested in Illarion. Though if the job requires being able to get into Illarion then... I'm going to need my computer to get this too work or my brother is going to have to start being a lot more generous and let me use his more often.
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

I think that while it's good for you to try and involve yourself so quickly with the game, that perhaps you'd best learn more about it through playing. I'd suggest that you firmly integrate yourself into the player community and learn how we play more for the fun of roleplay than skill gain and then try to script for the game. You only started the game yesterday, give yourself some time.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Yes, I think it is good if you have played Illarion for some time, but not mandatory.

But keep in mind that you can't realize your ideas only, there are some things which have to be done.
Whats the next step?
I think there was a task... a short script which you should send to Nitram.
Chryton

Post by Chryton »

I have background in Basic, Java, Visual Basic, and C++, and I have a BA in math, the one thing I'm lacking is much free time. I'd like to contribute if I can though. If there are any short scripts, or parts of a larger script that I could work on, let me know.
Artas Arcando

Post by Artas Arcando »

I am interested and willing to help. I had some basic programming experience(made some games for myself in Visual and Q Basic), though it was some time ago. Anyway, send ideas, the manpower awaits(as someone suggested).
Jeff Corwin

Post by Jeff Corwin »

I am interested in helping out although i do not know if you still need the help. I have some programming experinance in Pascal, Visual Basic, and C++ and have alot of spare time right now. I am right now working on a few NPC scripts and learning lua. So if you still need the help just tell me what i have to do.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

I will start my first attempt to learn how to script in Lua as soon as I print out the manual or ask my friend with a working printer to do it.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I read the reference manual and the language seems leet and straightforward. I'd like to giver it a try. Had some formall programing training when i was taking IT ingeneering at colege, but never worked in it, have some experience in modding though.
HandsbyJewel

Post by HandsbyJewel »

I'm willing to help out :)
I'm on the computer for maybe 5-17 hours per day depending on weekdays or weekends.
I do have previous programming knowledge in Visual Basic, HTML, python and some javascript.
squee

Post by squee »

I would like to be a scripter. I have programming experience. I've been with HTML and VB.NET for two years, and at the moment i'm learning C#.

Squee
Sonara Stone

Post by Sonara Stone »

Evan Ross wrote:I have absolutely zero programming experiance, But I would be more then willing to learn, and help out with Illarion, I have about 2 hours a day that I can help out with scripting once I learn how to do it.
Same here.. but Im a fast learner.. wait, does one semester of Microworlds EX count?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

http://illarion.org/~martin/scripting/luadocu.pdf

Should teach you most of the stuff you need.
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

Hey,

I just want to ask, if any script is needed. I have read me a bit in and want to try to programm a npc.

P.S.: have really no experience
Llama

Post by Llama »

NPCs aren't done using the scripting language, NPCs are done using the "NPC-Language" which is amazingly simple.

Here's a link for you :)

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=32836

Since you have no experience, just make a simple NPC, one who asks you to bring something to him, and then send it to me and I'll check him for you.
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

You have a PM
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

@Celdea.
If you need a hand feel free to add me on MSN and I'll have a go at teaching you how I got taught. I aint no master but can make a simple quest NPC

@Topic.
Got no experience scripting, only NPC's but if anyones up for teaching me I'm more that happy to lend a hand
Darkshade

Post by Darkshade »

I have about 10 hours every weekend with nothing to do, I have done some very basic scripting, and I enjoy doing it. I would love to help illarion. I only have one query, the test server or what ever its called_ is it online or off? Because if its online I don't have enough cap to play illa and the private server but if its usable offline I will definatlely like to try...
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

Could someone send me please the code for a merchant as soon as posible? Doesnt matter, what merchant it is, thank you.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Celdea wrote:Could someone send me please the code for a merchant as soon as posible? Doesnt matter, what merchant it is, thank you.
I wouldn't recommend designing merchant NPCs. The VBU is going to have many changes, including the items needed to produce, and the usefulness - so prices will vary greatly.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

You are however free to invent random chatter for a merchant NPC!