Americanism

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Post by Llama »

falco1029 wrote:It's quite simple why, really. There are more American than English players, so we get our english implemented. Seems fair to me.
It's quite simply why, really. There are more Chinese then English people living, so they get their chinese implemented. Seems fair to me.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

There are more chinese than english in china, and chinese is implemented there. He was talking about an isolated location, to use the example of the world would be like making us tally up all the languages on the internet.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

What Fooser said :P

EDIT: Btw, american english tends to be the predominant language on the internet. Just saying.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

falco1029 wrote:What Fooser said :P

EDIT: Btw, american english tends to be the predominant language on the internet. Just saying.
And how many websites do you visit that are not .com websites?
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

ive looked up statistics, im not going by personal experience here.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Thats because the chinese have the 'great firewall of china'

American English is as much of a language as l337 speak is
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Malta is as much of a country as Molvania is.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:

Honestly, what do you have against Americans? American English may not be a language in itself, but it certainly is a dialect of the English language. There shouldn't be a problem with people choosing to type in the American dialect of English just because you think it's not correct.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

What azuros said (stop beating me to the punch, guys :? )

And i obviously meant the american dialect of english is predominant, k?
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Azuros wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:

Honestly, what do you have against Americans? American English may not be a language in itself, but it certainly is a dialect of the English language. There shouldn't be a problem with people choosing to type in the American dialect of English just because you think it's not correct.
As much of a language as leet? Wtf, we have 7 words that are spelled differently then English English and it's leet? It's even pronounced the same .
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Julius wrote:
Azuros wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote: Thats because the chinese have the 'great firewall of china'

As much of a language as leet? Wtf, we have 7 words that are spelled differently then English English and it's leet? It's even pronounced the same .
Now I would write out a big list to prove that it isn't pronounced the same but after typing this oh so verbose sentence, I only have to to write two before school. More to come this evening.

Data
Mall

Have fun.
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

Okay the conclusion i came to is that English people are wierd because they use words that don't make sense at all. Yep, not at all. Here are some words that don't make sense at all. I will just add what i assume they mean:

Berk-It's kind of like a cat barking
Binmen-Crazy men who come every night, with the torso of a trashben and steal your garbage
Blag my way out-It's kind of like when a fish flops on a ground to get back in the water, it's what people do to squeeze out of tight squeezes
Bloke-When the mixed the two words "Blender and Broke"
Bog-A stinky pond
Bop-A kind of dance move
Bugger-An alien race who speaks telepathically and tried to destroy the world
Coach-Someone who failed at a sport but still wants to impact it
Collared him-When someone runs away and you grab him by the collar
Crisps-It's when you get a bad sunburn and peel, then they eat the leftover 'crisps'
Daft-When its so cold that the world draft looses its 'r'
Derry-A gay guy
Divvy-A lesbian
Down the nick-When a guy gives head to another guy
Footy-The things at the bottom of pajama's
Full pelt-The full hide of a human being instead of an animal
Gauch out-Puke
GCE-Gentle Corruption Education
Gimleted-The stuff that you take out of a turkey when you cook it
Git- Git-r-done
Gob-The red hangy thing that is under the turkey's beak
Gobsmacked-When you are smacked with said red thing
Gormless-When you are completely free of bugs
Kip-Napoleon Dynamite's brother
Knickers-What english people refer to black people
Lekky-A sensual lick
Loo-A prostitute
Lout-A joe
Naff-The sound that english people make when the laugh
Nappy-What babies do when they are tired
Nick-A common name
Offie-Used in the common phrase "Get offie me"
O-levels/A-levels-The amount of blood in a single vein.
Pack it in-Butt sex
Paracetamol-A feared parasite that eats all your brainpower
Petrol-A pteradactle
Piccy-When you only eat certain foods, and don't like change
Pinch-When you take skin in between your fingers and sqeeze
Pisshead-When someone passes out drunk, then you piss on his head
Politburo-A burrito microwaved so hot that God himself could not eat it
Prat-It's like a rat that has the face of a human
Quid-Used in the phrase "Man, i have to take a quid"
Ratty-A pet rat
Ring up-Kick someones butt
Roundabouts-Spinning in circles until you puke
Row-A straight line of seats
Scabby-When your leg has a lot of scabs on it
Scarper-A tool used to cut, doctors frequently use it
Scatty-Animal dung
Screws-Used to hold things together
Settee-Like a Teepee
Shyster-Someones who's really shy
Skinny-Not fat
Skint-Used in the phrase "I have to take a Skint"
Skip-What you do when you are happy.... but you have to be slightly 'derry'
Slag-When you skin falls off
Sod-Isn't that like what you put in planters?
Spanner-A speedy banner
Spliff-A gay guy
Squat-What girls do when the need to use the bathroom outdoors
Squits-Used in the phrase, "Man, i got the Squits"
Sussed-When someone shuts up
Tatty-When you tattle tell on somone you call that person a 'Tatty'
Tip-The top/edge of something
Togging/Togged out-Togging is like jogging but gayer; Togged out is when you do it so much you die
Torch-A stick on fire
Tory-A girl at my school (A slut)
Wagging-When a dog is happy to see you
Wet-C'mon, is this one hard?
Whip round-A game played where you grab someone buy the arm and spin them in a circle
Woolly vest-What a wookie wears
Yoofs-What people with no front teeth call "youths"

I am pretty sure that is what all these words mean, i am almost 100% sure.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Wyrda wrote:Berk-It's kind of like a cat barking - It's a moron actually nowadays. I think you're taking stoke on trent ;)
Binmen-Crazy men who come every night, with the torso of a trashben and steal your garbage - Which are in every country. Garbage men.
Blag my way out-It's kind of like when a fish flops on a ground to get back in the water, it's what people do to squeeze out of tight squeezes - No, it's when you talk your way out of something.
Bloke-When the mixed the two words "Blender and Broke" - That's a regional dialect for "man"
Bog-A stinky pond - More like a marshland.
Bop-A kind of dance move - ... Ever heard of Blitzkrieg Bop? This is an American word.
Bugger-An alien race who speaks telepathically and tried to destroy the world - It's a swear word for an idiot.
Coach-Someone who failed at a sport but still wants to impact it - That's widespread in America. In England we use Trainer mostly, and coach is more the vehicle.
Collared him-When someone runs away and you grab him by the collar - Never heard that expression.
Crisps-It's when you get a bad sunburn and peel, then they eat the leftover 'crisps' - No, it's what you call "potato chips"
Daft-When its so cold that the world draft looses its 'r' - It means stupid.
Derry-A gay guy - wtf?
Divvy-A lesbian - wtf?
No time to correct more. I certainly hope this was a joke.
Talaena Landessi

Post by Talaena Landessi »

Wyrda is quite hallarius. To be taken with a grain of salt, and not offensively. people with sensitive skin and a poor sence of humor, beware.
Adhwen

Post by Adhwen »

So... while we're chatting... what about Capitalism?? Boy. That stuff will kill ya.
Galdriel

Post by Galdriel »

I suppose this complaint is not meant serious, is'nt it?

But i guess a little story fits in quite fine.

When i was tramping in new zealand i met a guy from Bristol,
and we had a talk in the evening.
He was quite amused, that i as a german had a certain american accent or way of speaking.
I for myself guess, this comes from reading pretty many american authors.
especially, since our teacher at school was more of the british style.

anyway, to my opinion, british authors tend to be harder to read than american ones. (amazingly Tolkien was pretty easy to read.)
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

oh don't get me started on capitalism.... that stuff is the devil.
Llama

Post by Llama »

"Collared him-When someone runs away and you grab him by the collar - Never heard that expression. "
It does exist, it comes from the old police method of grabbing people from the collar so they don't run away.

It now means "Got caught cleanly by the police"

(Adrian>Alex) :P
-
Adhwen

Post by Adhwen »

Wyrda wrote:oh don't get me started on capitalism.... that stuff is the devil.
*gets him started*
Luincale

Post by Luincale »

I think we should have a contest. Over the course of a week, whoever uses the most vocabulary as defined by Wyrda's Dictionary of British Word Oddities gets 1 year's paid membership to Illarion.

2nd place goes to the person who writes the Dictionary of US Word Oddities. They'll take a 6 month free membership.

3rd place goes to the poor Brit who tries to order himself a biscuit in a US bakery. 3 month's free play on Illarion.
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

yep, the one who invented capitalism is a real bugger, cause only an alien would think of such a riduculous idea. The tax collecter came and i jumped into a vent to avoid him, then i got stuck. I had to blag my way out of that one.... Oh, that must be communism.... same thing... well anyway, afterwards i really wanted a smoothy so i went to the kitchen and started to make one but my bloke. So i just went to the beach instead, but i got really sunburnt, so i ate the delicious crisps a few days later. They were good! So after those few days i went to a club and there was a bunch of men i there, i was like "what the heck?" After looking around i saw one of them go down the nick on another. Then i realized they were all Derry so I bolted. A club full of Divvy's would have been cool but that was not. It was so gross it almost made me gauch out. After, i decided that i would further my education so i went to the Corruption Institute and got my GCE. The next day was thanksgiving so while cooking the turkey, i took all the Gemleted's out. I also played with the gob because it was cool. My friend was helping me, so i messed around and gobsmacked him. Then an african american walked into the kitched and lekky'ed the turkey. I was like, "what the heck are you doing Knicker?" He was like, i am a pimp, want a free loo as an apology? I just said no because i wasn't in the mood. I told him i would rather just take a nappy and you started to naff. Then all of a sudden my friend jumped on my back and i was like, "get offie me stupid!" Then he said, "but i need to try to pack it in!" I said, "stop it you spliff!" So i pinched him and he got off. Then he said, "lets go get some Politburo's!" I just said i didn't want to because i had to take a quid. The i started to do some roundabouts and the puke smelled like scatty! I felt really bad after and stopped takling to everyone and my friend called my a shyster to make fun of me. Then i told him i needed to go squat cause i had the squits. AFter i got out of the bathroom i told him i wanted to go so Tory. Wow, she was wet! But it was so hairy it was like a woolly vest! and she lost her teeth so when we where finished she called me a crazy yoof.

yep, thats what you get for getting me started on communism.
Ambrosine

Post by Ambrosine »

I can't believe I wasted my time reading that...

Does he win? Tell him he wins. I don't think I can stand any more. Wait... if he wins do we have to listen to the American who goes for second? Drat it.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:

Bah! To the victor go the spoils. We win the war; we choose the way things are spelled. Have a problem with it? Send out the navy. =P
Damien

Post by Damien »

Well, since we have more american players than english players and if people are really wanting a common speech base in illarion, it would serve most of the community better to "outlaw" the english spelling and mainly use the american spelling...

:twisted:

BTW, they encourage to teach more american spelling in schools here now too. A few decades ago they insisted on english spelling, now teachers are told to use both as "correct".
Since we are an INTERNATIONAL community and therefore have english AND american AND lots of other players who learned english the one or other way, i suggest to just follow the same way here.
A bit more tolerance please. ;)
Fianna Heneghan

Post by Fianna Heneghan »

I want to take a moment to point out to my fellow Americans the vast regional differences in dialect and pronunciation that we have right here in the US. I don't think it's necessary to be insulting to anyone for saying or spelling things differently. It's all understandable. Isn't that really the point?

@Wyrda I laughed my head off. You're the silliest.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Be careful with your words, Retlak!! Alatar
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Don't get me started on 'football' everyone. In the American game, you hardly even often use your foot!

And AlexRose, add defense to your list, ok?
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

I do agree that football is a bad name and we should change soccer to the name everyone else uses (football), actually. I only call it soccer out of habit, or when i think id confuse someone by saying football, hehe
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

only alex would create a thread that complains about spelling.
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

Americanism is used more widely because its an improvement, simple as that.