[GOOD] Effects of Clothes

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

[GOOD] Effects of Clothes

Post by Llama »

This proposal aims to increase the usefulness of tailors, and also to give a sense of realism, and USE to clothes.

-
Hats:If the weather is very hot (to be defined by the Gms, but has to be sunny), and you're not wearing a hat and you're outdoors, you get a message "The sun is giving you a headache". You take -1 intelligence and -1 constitution for as long as you stay outside without a hat. A helmet is considered a hat for the purpose of this thing. The desert always counts as being 'very hot'

Coats/Cloaks:If the weather is very cold (to be defined by Gms) OR raining, and you're not wearing a coat or a cloak and you're outdoors, you get the message "You feel cold, weak and sickly" You take -2 constitution for as long as you stay outside without a cloak. Lizards are exempt from the constitution damage due to rain (for obvious reasons)

Gloves:Wearing a pair of gloves/gauntlets gives you a 10% bonus to not cutting your hand/pricking your fingers with scissors/needles ect... when working.

Top/Pants: Not wearing any top/pants OR a cloak, will assume that your character is running around with his or her underwear. NPC vendors will not serve you, and will pass a comment on the fact that you're running around indecently. Armour and Leggings count as 'pants/tops' for the purpose of this.

Shoes/Boots: Not wearing any gives you a -1 dexterity penalty for ground which isn't a road. Wearing boots/steel boots gives you a +1 dexterity bonus when walking on mud, swamp land ect.

Quality: For an object to be able to qualify for the above, it has to be of a quality greater then "very bad", a very bad object is assumed to be a rag (NPCs will still talk to you if you wear rags). Each real 30 minutes that an object is being worn, it loses some quality (calculated similarly to the food-hunger system). It first loses the state (new- used - torn ect...), then when the state reaches the lowest value, it changes the quality, and resets to new. [Example, a Very good used cloak turns into a good new cloak).

When the object reaches "very bad", it'll stop decomposing lyke this, but it won't protect you from the heat ect... just will make you a bit decent to look at.
----

Comments?
Karl

Post by Karl »

I refuse lizards get another special ability, while other races have nothing. (Lizards can fish without a fishing rod.)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Karl wrote:I refuse lizards get another special ability, while other races have nothing. (Lizards can fish without a fishing rod.)
They can also eat raw fish ;)

But seriously, a lizard catching a cold from rain?
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Not every clothing item needs an effect from the start, but some basic things are useful:
- wearing shoes or boots (esp. in woods and mountains - walking speed)
- wearing top/pants or a cloak (esp. in winter - health)
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

good ideas, though fairies wouldn't need shoes or boots, they don't even touch the ground most of the time. for the rain one, what if it is blazing outside, like really really hot when it starts raining. some would enjoy going outside with the rain. The shirt thing will be anoying, i do go around playing i am shirtless, so would i have to change my rp then?
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

Karl wrote:I refuse lizards get another special ability, while other races have nothing. (Lizards can fish without a fishing rod.)
You act like everyone is rushing to play a lizard because of there many benefits. In my opinion screw that, give lizards what ever they need so that I may look to the online list and see more than two or three at a time.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

just be glad you don't play a special race then taliss, i haven't seen a gnome or goblin in so long. and i am the only fairy i see.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Do the same with orcs, halflings, gnomes, goblins and fairies then.
Llama

Post by Llama »

What I meant is, if you have a WOMAN character who's running around without a shirt...

Fairies already aren't hindered by ugly terrain as far as i know.
Karl

Post by Karl »

They are, like any other normal race.
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

Effect of clothings change stats in my opinion is rather too much. The spam messages for not wearing things appropriately should be annoying enough after a while. And also, I think that stats has to play a role for this, such as high constitution (as for the real number... that's not my place i guess) people would be okay staying out while it's raining without proper clothings, etc.

As for every 30 mins the clothings gets reduced in condition then quality. I think it's rather too fast. People would need to change clothes after a few days if they are online a lot.

This effects can be fun (I would wear proper clothings for sure since I dislike the spam messages ^.^), although people would start wearing clothings (not just RP them) when the elaborate 'examine' command comes IG.
Last edited by ogerawa on Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

And if they're unequipped their claws count as slashing weapons.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Ok maybe 30 minutes is too much, 2 hours?

-

@ Alex: Slashing? it only increases wrestling...

@ Everyone else: Stop discussing racism here please
Enwell van Illdoran

Post by Enwell van Illdoran »

to finally get back on topic:

i think those ideas are actually of much sense and would finally bring some benefit to those who are playing tailors..

normal tailor goods are actually just much of a sense if you roleplay clothes..
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

These ideas have my support.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:Ok maybe 30 minutes is too much, 2 hours?

How about just a certain number of steps?
Karl

Post by Karl »

bellringer wrote:These ideas have my support.
An enormous argument. I'm sure it will convince the staff to implant them with no hesitation at all.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:

Would be irritatingly hard to program and track i would suppose...

@ Karl: Your last posts' argument had even less weight
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

-karl

Why do I need to argue in order to state my support?

I am backing up the arguments that have already been made, I am not a parrot, I do not repeat what's already been said.

I believe that in most systems in which things are discussed it is customary to raise a hand, or say "Aye". I am simply doing the forum alternative of that, rather than wasting my time, and everyone else's in reposting what's already been said.

Unless of course you have a weighty argument as to why I should repost everything?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Kevin Lightdot wrote:

Would be irritatingly hard to program and track i would suppose...

@ Karl: Your last posts' argument had even less weight

No idea... I have no idea how the game works. So I'm out here.

I just thought like...

"Player steps" as integer

If 'step' action is used then
Players steps = player steps + 1
if player steps = 500(Or something)then
quality of footwear = quality of footwear - 1

Though... well, as simple and not-working this idea is, whatever code you do cook up each clothing item ig would need it's own integer, and I guess that'd be a bit too much crap for the server....

Never mind my idea... lol
Beldir

Post by Beldir »

I don't like the idea.. you could RP this all, too. Try to imagine maybe a human char who has always been walking around without shoes. It would be no problem for him. Or maybe a char who comes from a very hot, or very cold area.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Beldir wrote:I don't like the idea.. you could RP this all, too. Try to imagine maybe a human char who has always been walking around without shoes. It would be no problem for him. Or maybe a char who comes from a very hot, or very cold area.
You COULD Rp this too, but you could ALSO Rp that you're wearing a dress made out gold and no-one could ever say anything about it. This is to help tailors out.

And I come from a very hot area, but I still wouldn't survive hours in the sun...
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Nice ideas, if the word 'trousers' could be used instead of pants. ;)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Can we have a Gm/Dev's word?

@Silas: I know, helmets should give a penalty, but most people will walk and adventure wearing helmets... it'll give them a considerable disadvantage

RE: metal boots - umm ok maybe not...
maryday

Post by maryday »

*Waits for a constructive comment.*
Last edited by maryday on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Oh yes another step to realism, another step to bring down the fun of the game, please could you stop that allready, its boring that the game always keeps getting some kind of disadvantage just because some people got a serious ill realism sense here, if you want all that crap please go and play LARP or run around in real life with armor or cloaks or what ever you want.

...heck who dig out that topic again..even if its titeled "good".
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Pellandria wrote:Oh yes another step to realism, another step to bring down the fun of the game, please could you stop that allready, its boring that the game always keeps getting some kind of disadvantage just because some people got a serious ill realism sense here, if you want all that crap please go and play LARP or run around in real life with armor or cloaks or what ever you want.

Agrees with Pella........ sighs

One of my chars is a tailor and that is all she can earn copper in and I ask Please Don't Implement this. It will be enough when/if we get paper dolls. Like Pella said, another step to bring down the fun of the game like the most recent of having to carry an empty bucket if it is not in your char's background to "smell like a cow"
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Kaila Galathil wrote:
Pellandria wrote:Oh yes another step to realism, another step to bring down the fun of the game, please could you stop that allready, its boring that the game always keeps getting some kind of disadvantage just because some people got a serious ill realism sense here, if you want all that crap please go and play LARP or run around in real life with armor or cloaks or what ever you want.

One of my chars is a tailor and that is all she can earn copper in and I ask Please Don't Implement this. It will be enough when/if we get paper dolls. Like Pella said, another step to bring down the fun of the game like the most recent of having to carry an empty bucket if it is not in your char's background to "smell like a cow"
I've NEVER smelt of cow on any of my chars. If you hang around a cow for ages, it's your own fault you smell of cow; how can your character concept deny the fact that you've been spending lots of time with a huge smelly creature?
Llama

Post by Llama »

It will be enough when/if we get paper dolls
So tailors will still be useless for a few years...
Ashayen

Post by Ashayen »

AlexRose wrote:
Kaila Galathil wrote:

I've NEVER smelt of cow on any of my chars. If you hang around a cow for ages, it's your own fault you smell of cow; how can your character concept deny the fact that you've been spending lots of time with a huge smelly creature?
:roll: don't be so harsh. It somehow seems to be new that you get the message that you smell like a cow and that even when 'not' spending years with the stubborn creature!