[GOOD] Effects of Clothes

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Maybe cows really smell. People would smell in those days anyway :wink:
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

even when 'not' spending years with the stubborn creature!
..or never spending time with them :(

So tailors will still be useless for a few years...
Yes if you consider the only reason a tailor is ig is to earn copper, and are only interested in skilling....... if this is the case... they can be cooks

decides to do no more grumbling about the cooking system and fighters.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Yes if you consider the only reason a tailor is ig is to earn copper, and are only interested in skilling....... if this is the case... they can be cooks
Tis not about skilling, tis about earning enough money to live, buy stuff and develop.
maryday

Post by maryday »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
It will be enough when/if we get paper dolls
If you want to jump over the nearby fence, aim at the moon.
This is right, but...

I am not for a policy of small steps.

But if we won`t have a "examine" command,
there will be no reason to implement paperdolling at all.
Let me explain:

Somehow i feel tempted to think,
a big part of the community wants paperdolling for one main reason:

To show off their outrageous armors and equipment.

This has no use at all, for RP.
It only encourages PG and item-elitistic behaviour, and IG tension,
because of encouragement of frustrating behaviour,
of the wealthy persons agains the less "gifted".

If you/we want paperdolling, there must other reasons be found.
For Example:
Giving the overall IGatmosphere a higher depth, by showing off the social structures of a IGcommunity.

This can also be achieved by implementing the "examine person" command.

We need no paperdolling.
We need the possibility to see, "who sells the carrots nude." :twisted:
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

We need the possibility to see, "who sells the carrots nude.
:oops:

not about skilling, tis about earning enough money to live, buy stuff and develop
My tailor is fine as is.
Rosendil

Post by Rosendil »

The base idea is good.

Give clothes "stats" like everything else (e.g. armor items) makes sense.

Every 30 min reducing condition and qualtiy is too fast in my opinion (also 2 hours is too fast).
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

See...here is the thing I don't understand. Everyone says they don't want this, and that, because they can RP it. So if the engine is saying "Oh look, your wearing the clothes you actually payed for, and wear" everyone says no. So instead of saying you are wearing a long flowing green robe, and you actually wear nothing...then it doesn't make sense. *shrug* Maybe my idea is just dumb, but there needs to be more trade and use of items that already exist instead of rping that you have them.
Irania

Post by Irania »

That makes perfect sense. If we want to just RP EVERYTHING why not just go all out? One kind of sword, one kind of armor and so on and so fourth. I mean, why have more when you can just RP it? Blah blah blah. Having more items would be wonderful and it's fun to just have items for the sake of having them, lol.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Swords have different stats. You suggesting that a red shirt and a green shirt, or a special coloured cult robe instead of a normal robe should raise your defense or something?
Irania

Post by Irania »

I never suggested that. It's the principle. Why should warriors get an assortment and no one else?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Warriors need an assortment of armours and weapons for different things, like hitting long range, hitting fast, take less damage, taking less magic damage, less magic resistance so they can get healed easier, stronger but slower weapons etc. etc. whereas clothes are just.. clothes. Noone else sees what you wear and it doesn't really matter what some little graphics at the right show as far as illa's concerned.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Nah, it would actually make sense to have clothes to do what they're supposed to; Protect you against cold (and in illa, in relation to CON, decrease the chance for you to catch an illness).

But please no:" Bad hat, -8 constitution and go blind for a year" stuff..
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Vern Kron wrote:See...here is the thing I don't understand. Everyone says they don't want this, and that, because they can RP it. .
Ask Rosendil how much money I spent on clothes that actually do nothing, we don't need this forced crap...just my opinion.
Rosendil

Post by Rosendil »

Kaila Galathil wrote:
even when 'not' spending years with the stubborn creature!
..or never spending time with them :(

decides to do no more grumbling about the cooking system and fighters.
playing a tailor is similar to play any other crafter. the difference is that a tailor is the one who is the most less asked crafter ...

playing a tailor is also similar to play a fighter, a mage, a druid or anything else .. its a character with a profession, with a place in the community of this world.

so, what is wrong with a tailor? is a mage or fighter or a "pure rp char" a "better" char?
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I think that Tailors simply need more advertising. Believe it or not, there are and have been people looking for tailors, but failing to find any. Of course, since clothes are not a necessity item such as a sword for a warrior, he's not going to go that extra mile to look for one, and then filter out the ones who can't make what he wants. :wink: So, if you are a good tailor.. make it loud.

One thing is true, however: Most people aren't interested in low-quality tailored goods, thus making "noob" tailors capable of selling only bags or dealing with other "noobs". No rich character money for them. :wink:

Besides, Rosendil.. I guess, your character is not exactly getting poor with Tailoring.
Last edited by Mr. Cromwell on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rosendil

Post by Rosendil »

Pellandria wrote:
Vern Kron wrote:See...here is the thing I don't understand. Everyone says they don't want this, and that, because they can RP it. .
Ask Rosendil how much money I spent on clothes that actually do nothing, we don't need this forced crap...just my opinion.
Ask a fighter how much he spends for good armor/weapons.

The price for some clothes is nothing against that.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Why should the price of clothes be comparable to that?

Clothes seldom cost as much as Trucks. If you want to be a truck-driver, then you need a truck, not an armani suit. Weapons and armor are already 'rather' expensive and these are the "trucks" for a warrior (and warriors risk losing them while they use them) so saying that, yet another item should be a necessity and ludicrously expensive is getting a bit ridiculous in my eyes. Some people have to actually use all the stuff and can't make any by themselves (unlike the tailors, who just need the tailoring material without risking to lose them, except for dropping needles. Bo-hoo). Have some mercy here.

How much do the tailoring tools cost? How much do warrior's 'tools' cost? Which involves more risk?
Rosendil

Post by Rosendil »

*sighs, off topic continued*

I just wanted to tell Pell that other chars spent MUCH more silver coins for some other items. Armors, weapons, rings, etc. I did not want to compare the prices for clothes with anything. I did not understand why she stated that .. I just gave an answer.

Every crafter and any other char may earn MUCH money, if this is his/her aim.

Rosendil is not poor, but he also is not rich. The amount of silver he has is almost constant, because he is a pure tailor and needs to buy all the supplies. And this is really expensive. But there is enough left to buy good food and drinks, so he does not moan.

I would not not compare clothes/armors/weapons and crafters/fighters like this. An exquisit robe with some expensive gems stiched on it could be expensive as an armor. A truck might have the same price as a small sports car like a porsche carrera.

An experienced fighter with crap equipment can easily earn, without any risk, some silvers per day; same as an experienced tailor - if morgan has enough money. Sadly players buying clothes are very very rare.

*enough for now. good night*
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Please dont penalize people for not wearing a hat when it is hot outside that is just stupid, that is why the gods created hair.... :roll: . If you want people to come to tailors for items, how about making the ones existing really worth something? I remember when people really thought rings did something for their character (I am still undetermined what they are) and Garon sold a bunch of rings for a lot more then I think they were worth.

If each mage robe had a certain and distinguishable effect you bet mages would buy them. And if leather armors had some unique effect archers and mages alike would buy them. if a pair of excellent brand new trousers were somehow lucky and allowed you to fish out more maps you bet people would by them. If that slouch hat got Eliza to give you better prices for her wears and yours I guarantee people would buy a slouch hat. How about making items really worth something instead of ohh you have to wear this or we will give you a system message.... come'on that is not fun.

Quality=excellent (anything lower decreases the effectiveness by one)
Slouch hat: +10% increase in merchant transactions
Black Trousers: -10% chance of failing crafts and +1 dex if excellent
Novice mage robe: increases mana by 5%
so on and so on
Irania

Post by Irania »

I like that idea. It's very creative! ^^
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

HolyKnight wrote:Please dont penalize people for not wearing a hat when it is hot outside that is just stupid, that is why the gods created hair.... :roll: . If you want people to come to tailors for items, how about making the ones existing really worth something? I remember when people really thought rings did something for their character (I am still undetermined what they are) and Garon sold a bunch of rings for a lot more then I think they were worth.

If each mage robe had a certain and distinguishable effect you bet mages would buy them. And if leather armors had some unique effect archers and mages alike would buy them. if a pair of excellent brand new trousers were somehow lucky and allowed you to fish out more maps you bet people would by them. If that slouch hat got Eliza to give you better prices for her wears and yours I guarantee people would buy a slouch hat. How about making items really worth something instead of ohh you have to wear this or we will give you a system message.... come'on that is not fun.

Slouch hat: +10% increase in merchant transactions
Black Trousers: -10% chance of failing crafts and +1 dex if excellent
Novice mage robe: increases mana by 5%
so on and so on
This would be wonderful to see in game!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Have to agree with you, that would be very nice...
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

I disagree with this idea.

People would just collect one item of each and then change whenever they need the benefit given to them by the item.

Typical day:

Go fishing with blue baggy trousers.
Chop some wood with a red longsleeved shirt.
Later on farm with a slouch hat.
Then fight using red colored half leather armor for the agility gain.
And lastly wear a pink mages robe to increase your int so you can squeeze some more learning out of your skill points (counting for your skillcap) and do some cooking.

That'd move Illarion closer towards Diablo or Pokemon, with people collecting items because they (the players behind) know about their benefits (I never realized how where and WHY every character seemed to know that they have to buy XYZ-rings (for no apparent reason at all, at least character wise).

Also there will be some people who will find it perfectly acceptable to just treat what the technical side of the game restricts you with as the unchangeable mechanics of the game world, no exceptions to be made. (No, there can't be a rabbits dish with carrots, you need onions for it! < well how about roleplaying it while using a normal rabbit dish? < No, the system says so and that's it). So there will be people who'll say "No it's not awkward to change clothes several times in a day because I need my green-yellow scarf to look for honey, it's obvious!
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

First off the second Idea is way better, giving the game something and doesn't force people to do some kind of crap rp just to be sure that you don't get some of disadvantage.

Saying that people now would abuse this kind, well who cares seriously, ever thougth about why certain clothings have certain names in real live, maybe because working in such clothings could improve your handling with the enviroment, so a wetsuit fits better for water adentures than a armor and wearing good fitting clothes gets you better trougth a forest than long and heavy ones, its only logical this way.

I think it should be time to improve the game with good ideas instead of decreasing the fun oh and btw. jack of all trades should be normally punished anyway but giving small bonuses to those powergamer won't change anything for them-
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

I just think of all the funny situations that will occur:

A: Here, put this on.
A hands B a tight shortsleeved shirt.
B: Why? I dont want to.
A: You said you want to become a smith, so put that on!
B: No!
A: Put it on now, it helps you!
B: No I dont want to!
A: Why?
B: It makes me look fat!
A: ...
A: ((It helps you gain stuff faster though))
B: ((Oh... and? My character doesnt like it!))
A: ((Man, can't you see I only try to help you))
B: ((I thought this is about roleplay))
A: ((You are stupid don't even let me help you...))
A walks away and furthermore ignores B from now on for OOC grudges.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Just a reminder..... as the quality drops..some may want newer clothes.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

@ Faladron that sounds like a funny rp to me hehe :P
also there are already things like aka rings.... here put this on it helps you lose less equipment if you get clouded...this game is not about REALISM!!!
it is about having fun and allowing ALL crafts to have some kind of usefulness that allows for RP. Plus who doesnt want to wear a tight muscular shirt when doing smithing? Makes your muscles look big :wink: Dont make sense out of it just go with it if it HELPS the game and is fun.... like I had to when a orc tailored a human face onto to his to avoid being caught by the town guard....
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

I didn't say the behaviour of B is what troubles me, it's the behaviour of (in comparison among the Illarion community) far more players that'd behave like A...
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Faladron wrote:I didn't say the behaviour of B is what troubles me, it's the behaviour of (in comparison among the Illarion community) far more players that'd behave like A...
Yeah, cos I can REALLY imagine that situation happening.

You can make up ridiculous examples on why 90% of proposals would be anti-rp.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

AlexRose wrote: Yeah, cos I can REALLY imagine that situation happening.
I rather think you'd be one participating in it (I won't say if as A or B), and you might be able to imagine it happening I have seen it happening, can you contribute anything else to counter my argument besides your "feeling"? No?
Duly noted, perhaps try again with something more concrete besides "I like" "I dont like" or "No way!"