Bandits and Major Headaches

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Dantagon Marescot

Bandits and Major Headaches

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

First off, I try not to complain about things, I really do. Though lately, things have been getting out of hand in game when it comes to the problem with bandits. So many times have my self and others tried to take them down and jail them, and so many times have they simply ran and hope to meet us up one by one to remove our numbers. Basically spitting in our face. Is this good role play? Is this really what Illarion endorses?

Now understand, I am all for people playing bandits. I am all for the bad guy winning occasionally. But it is how they go about it that disturbs me. There are too many people playing the bad guy who decides he will not try to hide himself, to fight and run when he is loosing, and NEVER EVER be jailed. Not only that, but the same person will frequently plague the town at hours when guards, protectors, knights, or just plain good people, are few.

The bandits these days are just a little too brave and a little to knave to be bandits. I mean, what idiot bandit would go into a town when guards are present, (well, here no guards are present, but technically there would be), and march around like he owns the place. How many of these people have a death sentence? And at the same time, shouldn’t they be dead already?

How are we to fix this ever growing, and ever annoying problem? First, we need a better way to get these people to jail, or at least the game masters need to be watching their role play more closely because running every time you lose and then returning to fight people one on one is clearly poor role play. Second we could use a way of closing all the gates in Troll’s Bane (and towns that will have town gates in the future). It makes sense because if a bandit really did get in town, we would have people at all the door, and they would close them when ordered. Third is that we need less cookie cutter bandits. I could name a few characters who act almost the same in style, both as characters from the same player, and as different characters from different players. Maybe we could have less bandits, better role played bandits, and even bandits that aren’t all alike in style?

Once again, I try not to complain very much. It is just that this has been bothering me lately as there seem to be more bandits than people can handle and will not be jailed or taken down. This is sucking the fun out of role play for those who actually try to role play, though it may be fun for the bullies in the game. I seriously hope that this style will change and that it has not always been like this.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I don't know of other problems with bandits, however with my chars, I have seen no fault at all with any of the RP involved - all were done very well. However, this may be different for others, but it appears to me if the RP is not done well, say they are attacked without #me's etc,... a GM should be called.

However, are you talking more of the RP of catching the criminal rather then the crime?
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

There used to be a jailing function that guards could use, along with a series of rules mutually agreed upon by the players on when and how the guards could use them. Wasn't perfect, though, there was still arguments like most things here.

I reccomend proposing such a thing again and letting the staff mull over it.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Maybe a guard can use a special item on a newly clouded char that resurects him in jail.
Gwendolin Cad'ell

Post by Gwendolin Cad'ell »

In former days the town guard had an own skill that gave you the ability to jail someone. It was rped as a 'key' but infact you just had to enter a command + char-number + time to teleport them into jail.
So a criminal who maybe was already banned from town, might have gotten killed and resurrected at the cross... Now if he would run away from the cross in Trolls Bane (wasn't allowed) we would enter the command so he gets jailed. If it was a good rper and accepted his defeat we would either ask him ooc if he wants to bother to rp all the way down to the jail in the southforest, or if we just can teleport him as soon as we are out of the gate ;)
Also it was time-limited. We were able to jail them from a few minutes to 10 hours. When the time was over (time spent ingame!) the person would be summoned out of the jail automatically.

I personally don't think that this is a good idea anymore. You need responsible people for this and above all a real active town guard... I don't think this would work anymore like it did in former times. Especially because of the ooc-fuss. The only advantage the jailing-skill had, was that the people automatically got summoned out of the jail as soon as their time was over and didn't had to wait for someone to log in and let them out.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Or a strongly pushed char that will never ever step out of troll's bane, and will only be roleplayed as a guard of TB, nothing else.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

What about programming in 'doorguards'? It probably wouldn't be too difficult to create a little script that wouldn't let banned people pass the gates, much like the 'glowtrees' wouldn't let undead in during the temple days. They still got in occasionally by one means or another, but it allowed for some breathing room in Troll's Bane, and did well. A simple NPC could be programmed in to stand just outside the jail, perhaps, and you tell him a certain formula (The person (who looks like <number>) or (named) is banned from Troll's Bane, for example). This would ban a character from town for a certain period of time; three days seems to be the standard, or perhaps you could make a time variable in the command, up to a certain limit.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The timed command was pretty stupid, it made RP optional, they would be 6-7 squares away, say "#me grabs the man" and boink, there you were in jail
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

But what I am suggesting would not require 'grabbing' the person or anything.

The NPC would be at the jail. You would tell him the person was banned. the 'doorguards' then would not let the person enter the gates (can exit all he wants).
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

well I defiantly agree something needs to change. I’m getting tired of needing to contact Damien after every attempt to jail someone. There have been several occasions when bandits have decided to play the role of the unstoppable and ever slippery follower of darkness that can never be caught and never accepts being defeated. Here recently a scene broke out with a "group" of the towns people 5 possibly more who surrounded a certain bandit after I defeated him in a duel. But of course despite our constant spamming of *attempts to restrain the man he got away. After that there was a criminal that was defeated on the roof of the library and took the whole immortal bandit approach and jumped off to only be clouded, this led to a speedy logging out and not to a capture. As it is now folks just aren’t playing criminals right and it is putting up with this crap that deters people from wanting to play any char of authority or order hence why there is such a weak town guard and knighthood.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

If I am a bandit, and am banned from a town, RP-wise, I would have the option of ignoring the ban, or going along with it. If I ignore, there is a chance my char would be attacked on site, there is also a chance, the ban would be ignored by the ones in town if I elected to go to that town anyway. To program something into the system for a ban takes the RP options out of the player's hands. Or, changes the system to accomodate bad RP.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Fooser wrote:The timed command was pretty stupid, it made RP optional, they would be 6-7 squares away, say "#me grabs the man" and boink, there you were in jail
I remember the days when fooser was all locked in jail forever and then we had to go and keep his sanity by teleporting hot elves into the jail.
NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:If I am a bandit, and am banned from a town, RP-wise, I would have the option of ignoring the ban, or going along with it. If I ignore, there is a chance my char would be attacked on site, there is also a chance, the ban would be ignored by the ones in town if I elected to go to that town anyway. To program something into the system for a ban takes the RP options out of the player's hands. Or, changes the system to accomodate bad RP.
I don't really like having to make such a suggestion, believe me. I played very happily for years where there were NO systems other than what the players all agreed to (pure text freeform RP, no dice or anything). But the simple fact is, that there are too many people who abuse any right to decide such things for themselves. Unless we become so particular on who is allowed to play this game that we end up with a group too small to be sustainable, then we are going to get those who will abuse certain features. This is one of them.

Currently, there is no way to punish bad behavior by one char to another, if they do not accept and acknowledge your RP actions. This includes any official or guard. If players consistently ignore anything but system methods, then a system method needs to be created to deal with them effectively so they don't ruin everyone's RP consistently.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

NirAntae wrote:I don't really like having to make such a suggestion, believe me. I played very happily for years where there were NO systems other than what the players all agreed to (pure text freeform RP, no dice or anything). But the simple fact is, that there are too many people who abuse any right to decide such things for themselves. Unless we become so particular on who is allowed to play this game that we end up with a group too small to be sustainable, then we are going to get those who will abuse certain features. This is one of them.

Currently, there is no way to punish bad behavior by one char to another, if they do not accept and acknowledge your RP actions. This includes any official or guard. If players consistently ignore anything but system methods, then a system method needs to be created to deal with them effectively so they don't ruin everyone's RP consistently.
I guess I am one of the lucky few that has never had my RP ruined in this way except one time, the char refused the ban and wouldn't leave, after being ignored totally for a little, they left the city on their own :wink: . I do think if a system is set up for the one that is banned, it should also be set up for the one banning. As an example, this char was banned from a settlement for defending herself against a char that was a member of the settlement and did not attack first. Dain was banned a total of....I can't even remember how long now, but it was a large number of ig days for writing on a brick wall. Damien was banned for threatening to put a cow into a building. In my opinion, it would be up to the char to accept the decision providing it is RP'd well. If bad RP, a GM should be called. Also with the discussion of eliminating depots in other cities, the bans can be even a worse problem/cause more conflict.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Cliu Beothach wrote:
Fooser wrote:The timed command was pretty stupid, it made RP optional, they would be 6-7 squares away, say "#me grabs the man" and boink, there you were in jail
I remember the days when fooser was all locked in jail forever and then we had to go and keep his sanity by teleporting hot elves into the jail.
I remember those too. Goddamn arsonist! Arr! :P
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

YOu guys dont mean me do you? I mean, I'm more stealthy than abdnity, so most people wouldnt ever see me. And when I AM acting as a bandit, it's with somebody els,e and we do it at night, when guards would be fairly few, PC or NPC.

Also, I;ve never had a guard approach me, nor have I been chased or had anyone trying to put me in jail since i started playing again.

To be fair, if a guard wants, starts up an rp about searching the town for thieves or bandits, and I'll rp my char in there to give them a chance :)
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Someone (1467958675) attempts to restrain the man.

Someone (676292054) rtys to restrain the man

That's all I got to say. This is when like 12 people followed and tried to capture Deuce. We did this 50 times ( with other stuff inbetween, I just didn't put the logs) and he didn't, not once, give us some kind of #me back. I was about to log. Worst rp I have ever witnessed by anyone in my short time here.
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Alright now people I know for a fact that this whole goddamn thread is about Deuce, and for your information Taliss, not once did i log.

Ok I put my hands in the air and admit that during this session of chase my rp was terrible, but so was all of yours, i mean how can anyone attempt to restrain anyone from like 7 squares away??? Even when i wasnt in the town all 7 of you chased my char.. Is it possible we have spider man in our midst?
@Julius if your trying to say that i am the worst rp'er out there, you may want to look a little closer to home boy, and i did infact do some #me's during this going on, i've seen better rp from a blind chimp than from you. And i would appreciate if you didnt send me offencive PM's from now on :roll: .

I will now agree to play fair,as i have seen the error of my ways :twisted: ... and if the same situation is to happen i will have more consideration, but isnt it possible, just possible that someone can escape from someone's hold??--taking into consideration that Deuce is stronger than most who where chasing him.

I agree that something should be put in place to make it easier to catch characters like Deuce in future, and I for one will try not to become such a 'hinderance' in future :lol: .
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Never sent you an offensive pm ( it was a dove) nor did I say you were the worst rper ever. Though, from what I heard your pretty crappy. Also, you never did a #me. I have 6 witnesses. Shall I go get them to post in this thread?

P.S. 90 percent of the restrained stuff was when we got close within 1 sg. You still need to do some kind of #me.
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Do what you want, I have said all i intend to, and Julius i couldnt care what 'you heard', doesnt really bother me in the slightest.

You all really need to get a grip of yourselves and stop crying about so many things.
Julius

Post by Julius »

Okay.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

deuce,

just two suggestions (for you and the other POs of bandits)

1) log in and play bandits, when there are more than just 5 or 6 chars online.

2) remember, whom you rob, that you don't rob the same chars twice within an hour.

you must know, that for much players having a char robbed is no nice experience.
and it gets much harder, if you meet the same robber twice or thrice the same evening.

there are a lot of robbers lately. and if every one of them acts, as if he owns the town, resulting in other chars being robbed each and every time they go to town, don't be astonished, when a lot of players get pissed off by the robbers.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Julius wrote:

That's all I got to say. This is when like 12 people followed and tried to capture Deuce. We did this 50 times ( with other stuff inbetween, I just didn't put the logs) and he didn't, not once, give us some kind of #me back. I was about to log. Worst rp I have ever witnessed by anyone in my short time here.
Just hang on a second, it would appear to me all these people saved the text on an f number, due to the same spelling each time. In my opinion that is no good rp. Also, the #me's are not all that descriptive to be honest.

And really, bandits are always going to be frustrating. Criminals and rebels use guerilla tactics; this is a FACT, the problem here is not with poor rp'ed bandits, it is with inactive and weak guards. When bandits can waltz through town even when they are banned, unchallenged, they aren't going to stop in a hurry.
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Korm Kormsen wrote:
Korm this is wrong, I play when many are on aswell, probably even more so. Everything else is fine and your right.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Deuce wrote:
Korm Kormsen wrote:
Korm this is wrong, I play when many are on aswell, probably even more so. Everything else is fine and your right.
maybe it is wrong. then i have just bad luck, meeting you at the wrong times.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

l myself preFer to thieve when theres 10-|5 people ohline (which is good rp as one doesnt sneaK aroqnd if theres tons of people nearby) and when Richard and I bandix it up we prefer njght and |5-20 people
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

falco1029 wrote:l myself preFer to thieve when theres 10-|5 people ohline (which is good rp as one doesnt sneaK aroqnd if theres tons of people nearby) and when Richard and I bandix it up we prefer njght and |5-20 people
How about you stop being a retard, and type normally so we can understand.
PS- No offense to the PO :lol:
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

falco1029 wrote:l myself preFer to thieve when theres 10-|5 people ohline (which is good rp as one doesnt sneaK aroqnd if theres tons of people nearby) and when Richard and I bandix it up we prefer njght and |5-20 people
I think the whole point is to disregard how many people are online, as that is mixing ooc.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Deuce, you have a very big head. That is all anyone needs to say on the matter of you.

I think I will rant about the piss-poor Rp I see both involving bandits and non-bandits.

I try and rob some one. They shout and would rather have me cloud them. To all of them who do that crap just to not loose a few silver. Just leave the game..please just smiling leave.

If you log out in a fight or to escape loosing something, then smile you.

The problem of the old jailing system now would be the fact to many people can't Rp. Then Rp rules were much stricter. Then we had the essay to write. After the essay and rules lightened up. Lots of smiling idiots who can't figure out how to not mix up in char and ooc started playing and powergaming every day. If none of this applies to you, I like you.
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

Lrmy wrote:Deuce, you have a very big head. That is all anyone needs to say on the matter of you.
Thanks Lrmy, I think blue suits me also. :P

*With his selective hearing PO Deuce straightens his color before winking to himself in the mirror, then turning to the door he finds it almost impossible to fit through with his massive deformation of a head*