another modern enterprise

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Korm Kormsen

another modern enterprise

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Manager - Willowbottom Farming Co.

a good idea to trade in seeds.

but, not for the first time, i stumble over traders or groups of traders, that call themselves "company".
with "managers".

to me this sounds awfull modern. somehow it does not seem to fit in the setting of the illarion world.

am i the only one, who thinks so?
Ascius

Post by Ascius »

I had no problem with it, as long as it is ruled by halflings. I imagine the Illarion halflings mostly as traders, sitting in their rooms, counting their silver coins and working in secret so no one notices them getting rich...
Dariya

Post by Dariya »

Ascius, I don't think that korm got problems with the idea itself ... the idea is as old as money resp. trading is, I suppose

korm is talking about the titles, I suppose, like "manager"

there haven't been managers, but rather owners, holders I suppose, maybe partners. The expression "Manager" itself does not fit in those days of Illarion.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

exactly.

i am not opposed to trading, traders getting rich. who wants to invest his time in a goldpiece collection, is for me as valid a player, as one, who trains his char to fight or cast spells.
no problem there.
but a medieval trader was just that, a trader - merchant , peddler, moneylender.
he was no banker, business executive, manager or chairman.
and if he did work together with someone, it was a pardner, principal or helper, no business associate.

i am asking just about the way to express ourselves ingame.

(nordmark enterprises Ltd. anounce, that the two main shareholders have decided, to expand from agro bizz and mining operations as well into the construction market. - how does that sound? medievel?)
Llama

Post by Llama »

Korm Kormsen wrote:(nordmark enterprises Ltd. anounce, that the two main shareholders have decided, to expand from agro bizz and mining operations as well into the construction market. - how does that sound? medievel?)
Share prices this week show an increase in the price of rabbit meat. Moreover socks seem to be up and trousers are down, suspenders have been suspended from the market.
-

I agree with the rest of the complaint though.
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Actually, Illarion is set in a medieval period. That much is true, but this game is set in the world Illarion, not Earth. I mean they have midgets, walking amphibians, elves, and other strange creatures. Just because the people in our world didn't use the world manager, it doesn't mean they can't or wouldn't know the word in the world of Illarion. And to be frank, the word manager does not bother me at all, nor does it bother my rp.
man·ag·er (măn'ĭ-jər) pronunciation
n.

1. One who handles, controls, or directs, especially:
1. One who directs a business or other enterprise.
2. One who controls resources and expenditures, as of a household.
2. One who is in charge of the business affairs of an entertainer.
3. Sports.
1. One who is in charge of the training and performance of an athlete or a team.
2. A student who is in charge of the equipment and records of a school or college team.
As a matter of fact, I think they even had this word in those times. Simple word actually. Not everyone in the medieval times were not articulate. Most of them could speak fluently. The word manager has not been inducted into the language of English in the last 400 years or so. It's been around for along time, I suppose.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Julius wrote:Actually, Illarion is set in a medieval period. That much is true, but this game is set in the world Illarion, not Earth. I mean they have midgets, walking amphibians, elves, and other strange creatures. Just because the people in our world didn't use the world manager, it doesn't mean they can't or wouldn't know the word in the world of Illarion. And to be frank, the word manager does not bother me at all, nor does it bother my rp.
man·ag·er (măn'ĭ-jər) pronunciation
n.

1. One who handles, controls, or directs, especially:
1. One who directs a business or other enterprise.
2. One who controls resources and expenditures, as of a household.
2. One who is in charge of the business affairs of an entertainer.
3. Sports.
1. One who is in charge of the training and performance of an athlete or a team.
2. A student who is in charge of the equipment and records of a school or college team.
As a matter of fact, I think they even had this word in those times. Simple word actually. Not everyone in the medieval times were not articulate. Most of them could speak fluently. The word manager has not been inducted into the language of English in the last 400 years or so. It's been around for along time, I suppose.
Actually, people in Midevil times WERE fluint. Hell, the most popular pastime was propobly theatre. They may have spoken in a different dialect or accent than that which we speak but, they were fluint none the less. I do completely agree with Krom's argument.

Damien needs to post here, he IS our time expert I think.

Oh, Frank, if I may call you that?(I call Charels) What was your reasoning in adding a deffinition? Also, it may not bother anyone's Rp. It will add to the atmosphere and if 100 other little things pile up we got a Rp mess.

(P.S. I burn medievl doors as a hobby)
Last edited by Lrmy on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

The words company and manager were used during medieval times....just check an etymology dictionary to check yourself.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Azuros wrote:The words company and manager were used during medieval times....just check an etymology dictionary to check yourself.
Not in the context we use them normally in today I would be willing to bet.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

company Look up company at Dictionary.com
1150, from O.Fr. compaignie "body of soldiers," from L.L. companio (see companion). Meaning "subdivision of an infantry regiment" is from 1590. Sense of "business association" first recorded 1553, having earlier been used in reference to trade guilds (1303). Abbreviation co. dates from 1759.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

The 16th century (1500-1599) was the last century of the "middle ages". :) :)
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

[Origin: 1580–90; manage + -er1]

So yeah, it would have existed at the end of the middle ages and the begining of the Renessance (sp?) depending on where you lived. Though if we were to follow this, we would have full plate armor and the very begining of gunpowder weapons. However, this is a different world and different time period of that world. Therefore, screw it and go with it.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Dantagon Marescot wrote: However, this is a different world and different time period of that world. Therefore, screw it and go with it.
Amen to that
Falco Willowbottom

Post by Falco Willowbottom »

Thankyou for all your thoughts on the Willowbottom Farming Co. I have to say I am glad of these posts because I was a bit unsure of using the word "manager" but I kept it anyway. I feel it does sound a bit modern and I will change it to owner, which is a bit more in-keeping with the illarion world. Although it was a word used in medieval times certain things however ancient and medieval in planet earth do feel too modern for illarion.

Thanks again
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

What is the true problem with manager? We aren't the middle ages we are a fantasy world.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:We aren't the middle ages we are a fantasy world.
*bows down* finally!
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:What is the true problem with manager? We aren't the middle ages we are a fantasy world.
Yeah, and honestly, though the word manager and such may sound a tiny bit awkwards in the setting for, it is about one of the tiniest problems I can think of.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

I do agree that manager and company sounds more modern than medieval, with perhaps manager perhaps more acceptable than company.

However, while I also agree the particular words used in this case is not a huge problem, I don't think you should keep using the "This is a fantasy world not middle ages" argument for justification. Illarion is still based on a medieval setting and components, so if you keep seperating it from reality to justify increasingly modernistic terms, then next thing you know you'll have more terms that push or cross on borders of medieval fantasy like "presidents" and "corporations" or scientific/technological terms.