Decline of Illarion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Decline of Illarion

Post by Juniper Onyx »

It may just be me, but....

Are we nearing the end of Illa?

I have noticed that RP has declined dramatically. People are harder to find. New people are few and aren't helped. The races tend to be more of the same....nothing special. Guilds and towns both are in danger of becoming inactive, Crafting is difficult at best, and there is no overall "Plot" to the world. There is no great Danger.

The Devs are discouraged, the players malcontented and I believe that this trend will continue.

Aside from the 'occasional' quest, Illa is actually becoming boring. OMG!!

Does anyone else feel this way?

If so, what can we do to change it before it is too late?
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

Despite hating this thought, I may vaguely agree.

Illarion has become dull, even though I still personally think it's one of the most addicting games. But, the problem is, it's harder and harder to get involved in things. Big, involving quests are apparently rare. The only way to have true fun is if you or some of the people you commonly rp with get some little quest started.

Everything feels a little unsettled to me. I say the GMs get together and give us players something fun. Sure, they're busy working out bugs, figuring out things to add, dealing with their actual lives that I'm sure they have. But the uninvolvement is wearing on the players and the game in general.

How about some big uproar? Something that gives all sorts of players a role. General roles, that is. Its their choice if they get deeply involved or not. I'm not gonna go on throwing ideas out just yet. But, just an idea. Lets not let Illa die right as it's reached the wonderful 'Version ONE'! XD Time to work a little harder for the role-playing world, guys.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Why is it that Gobiath stands alone and ununited? What keeps the 'kingdoms' of the Mainland from taking Gobiath as a colony?

Maybe an invasion from the mainland would spice things up? Place multiple NPC Soldiers in different places across the land in line with the RPG stories.

Some overall storyline that puts all of Gobiath in danger, yet would be Gradually told over time? All characters and places would find some role in it's telling.

Hmm......Maybe that's what really happened to Kallahorn Castle?

The story, occasional battles and drama could potentially last a year.

Just an idea.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Ayla wrote:
Everything feels a little unsettled to me. I say the GMs get together and give us players something fun.
This is their job. Yes.
Sure, they're busy working out bugs,
Not the job of a GM. In fact, none of them are capable of this.
figuring out things to add,
Only marginally their job... in fact, only as much of their job as it is your job to post in the proposals section. =)
dealing with their actual lives that I'm sure they have.
They're asked when they're hired wether they have one of these. Having a life is sure means for rejection. Ok, not quite, but they're asked if they have time to do their job. Refer above to see what that is.
But the uninvolvement is wearing on the players and the game in general.
Yup.

Now why wasn't she here when I complained about GM inactivity in the past and everyone acted as though I were foul for even suggesting that their highness do something? =)

I won't make the mistake of mentioning names this time around, but you know who you are. I'm not talking about the handful of you who are busy at the moment; I am, however, talking about the handful of you who have done less than one quest per active month that you've been a GM.
Lianis

Post by Lianis »

I know it may not seem like it, but these 'little' quests take up just as much GM time and attention as big ones.

However, I will say this... your observations are not 'original'... that is, we've already thought the same thing.

And plans are in the works, as soon as the current active quests are completed, for, hopefully, just the sort of thing you are asking for here.

So, all I can ask is for you to have a little more patience, and see what the near future has to offer...

:twisted:
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Umm...What current quests?

I wasn't even aware of a quest at the moment.
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

Heh, thanks for correcting me.

As to the ideas, Juniper's there sounds pretty good. Fun, and not just the typical quest that usually only plays out for one group of people.

I could name some role for probably every 'sort' of character out there if there was some big war going on. And besides, our nice little quest GMs could exercise their creativity, hm? Not only would it provide some entertainment all around, it would most likely up the activity IG, which is seriously dwindling. And if not.. Well.. It's inevitable then that Illa isn't what it used to be.
Lianis

Post by Lianis »

The Lich's sword quest, for one. That's the big one right now.

And again, there's already a plan in place, once the to-be-involved GMs are all free to devote their time to it (and so other active quests aren't swallowed by it.) No, I won't give you details, but if everything plays out as it should, there should be plenty for anyone and everyone to do.
Enwell van Illdoran

Post by Enwell van Illdoran »

Dusty, spend less time powergaming, read more in the rpg and you might notice that there is a lichquest going on, which is the players task to involve people. i got ayla involved, now she left the Island..

And Aeghol why are you only showing up when there is a chance to flame against our staff. When was the last time you were IG with any char?

As much as i know cassy is working out bugs while being a gm.
they do think of new things aswell
i bet they took the internal proposal accaess from you..

I dont know how you think about this but rl always has rto stay more important than working volunteer on a game.

so just stop bitching and stfu, at a forum community you cant even count yourself a part of, Aeghol
Ayla

Post by Ayla »

True, I pulled my own character out of the current quest, so I really don't have much to say. I really don't have much room to talk, do I?

Anyway, true, there is the Lich-Sword quest.. I suppose some just aren't satisfied with the involvement? Currently, what with being IG with other various characters, I'm not seeing the activity. But then, as of yet, the quest in general has been kept to only a few characters. If not, correct me. The only big involvement is the occasional need for fighters to take on the lich's 'minions'.

Anyway, if there's promise for more involvement, I say we just be a bit more patient and see what plays out. If nothing happens, then I suppose this conversation can be continued.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

this thread sems very greek to me. ancient greek.
the demi gods (spell: uberchars) don't satisfy their players any more.
they are bored, because they have it all.
sitting in olymp, and looking in vain for some entertainment.

dusty,

just take another char, that isn't finished yet.
whereever you look, there are middling chars, still having fun by progress and local roleplay.

or maybe, we need a char-wipe, followed by stricter rules, how to play the different races?
so that between halflings, humans and elves there are more differences, than just the avatars?
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Korm Kormsen wrote:this thread sems very greek to me. ancient greek.

thats why dji died ;)
Ziel Oden

Post by Ziel Oden »

Omnipresence Strikes.

I've been noticing this decline since we left the old client.
Dariya

Post by Dariya »

good morning everyone :D
I really could not believe my eyes when I saw this thread again, Frank

I absolutely agree with korm regarding ... let's say fully developed chars

I'd like to add my opinion: why, if it's become so boring, are there presently quite a number of players ingame when I come home and find time for illa? cause they are all bored with the game? :roll: guess not

and it's not the GM's jobs to make us have fun. This is no kindergarten and the staff are not nannies nor nursery teachers, are they?! Having fun ig depend on and is the players, the rpers job. And sorry, I DO have fun, when I head ig ... which actually is not each and every day and not every spare hour I got.

And now head ig again and have fun.

(sorry Ascius that I had to use it again ;) )
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think this started about 4 years ago, they should have fixed it by now! :wink
Now that nobody is bitching left and right, it certainly does seem alot less active doesn't it?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Korm Kormsen wrote:this thread sems very greek to me. ancient greek.
Nah, the citizens are annoyed because the gladiators have all left, and slaves are overrunning the city.

I just wish we could get back all those people who left, announced and unannounced. I'd honestly prefer 23 people online on a busy day, who are all great rpers, than 50 who go round powergaming. Most of the time, I can't get a single "Hello" out of people, and frankly, it's ridiculous.

And we cannot battle the problem now. The decisions made which spurred this on were:
. The client change. People like the look of the new client, and it's better to keep a track of your skills etc. for powergamers. Course: why would a community of ROLEPLAYERS need a change of client? So we could see ourselves walking on tables, right, cos we needed that lots... ahem... also, now we get to see our skillz!11!1!11... oh wait, who cares? And we got new player races! But the only gnome I've ever seen is an npc, I've not seen a goblin in ages and Tink was the only well rped fairy I ever met ig.

.The accounts system change, no more essay. Okay, so we got a massive flood of noobs who would usually never get in, which drove out the experienced rpers. Effectively, we just gave ourselves more people to lag the server, because that's all that I think of the pgers frankly.

.The departure of the experienced roleplayers. There were no longer people to set the standards and educate noobs. This led to a HUGE decline in the AMOUNT of rp and the STANDARD of rp.

.The apathy (I would not call it ignorance at all) of the very people who could've put a stop to this when they started to see the effects. I mean, I've been saying this for about a year now, but all we have to show for it is a multi choice quiz (Hell, I can answer a quiz using a bit of initiative but completely ignore the content in it; why wouldn't other people be able to?) and a game full powergamers who don't have the slightest interest to rp.

And so I have to sit around, and FIND people to rp with. Even sometimes ASK people on msn to come ig because there's noone. This isn't the illarion I grew to love.

And frankly, I think it's a bit too late to find a solution...

Regardless, I will continue with my rping ways, and try and convert some people. This is why I hope Caelum can be built soon; basically Caelum is full of rpers. That's why production's taking too long, no pgers to quicken it ;) . But anyways, should be able to find more rp when it's built so woot.

Right now I'm probably staying in the game for the off chance I might bump into someone, and magic of course. But still, I'm a little annoyed (And so is Nathan btw) that I my character can't meet his best friend right now, since he is in captivity. Oh well.
Garen

Post by Garen »

something to help add better roleplayers, somewhat, would to put the essay back. realy, it got me interested when i first found the game. especialy since i came from DnD. so, just keep role playing well, tech the newbs, and wait for the poweramers to get bored and die off. (( 'course we could always have a char wipe :roll: ))

but how to convence them the put te essay back?

(*wipers softly* watch closely, on the left of the tour you might see them reply)

eh, but i am up way late so i probaly dont know what im talking about
Christiana

Post by Christiana »

oh no! another "end of illa" thread!

its like the apocalypse predictions from sects: every year a new ;)

players go and new players come. i bet the new players don't think that illa declines...
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Garen wrote: (( 'course we could always have a char wipe :roll: ))
No, that's GOOD for the powergamers, because the people who've rped all the while, and have built up their skills over the past 2 years, will lose everything, and these powergamers can get their skills back up in a matter of weeks... because they're powergamers!

Tssssk...
Ziel Oden

Post by Ziel Oden »

Alex, you're expressing meaningful statements. Quit before the waambulance strikes!

Garen

Post by Garen »

wait, what was i thinking?
*goes to boil anoter pot of coffie to stay up later*

maybe this will help :P

awell.
i still say put the essay back, and make the active accounts take it again to get rid of the bad RP'ers.
lol, let me guess, people will complain about not being able to be lazy?lol
aahwell

anyone elese got any sugestions?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Garen wrote:wait, what was i thinking?
*goes to boil anoter pot of coffie to stay up later*

maybe this will help :P

awell.
i still say put the essay back, and make the active accounts take it again to get rid of the bad RP'ers.
Make people who've already answered the essay not have to take it again, too.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

Can it be that you simple start this thread while you are bored ?

Sorry to say this... i found at most RP, good RP. Many older players come back, others leave from some reasons ( RL is much more important then a game ) and new Players come into the game. And I don't need a quest to find RP.

An Alex, yesterday night you leave very quickly, 3 sentences ? more or less ... RP ??

I started with the old client and I love the new aswell, the staff working hard, and many ideas around,

so move your butt IG and play, this moaning goes rly on my nerves...

I agree with the others which saying this is a unnecessary thread !
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Alytys Lamar wrote:An Alex, yesterday night you leave very quickly, 3 sentences ? more or less ... RP ??
My parents had told me to go to bed an hour before and I'd been procrastinating ever since; then they started going mental at me, I'd walked to TB to log out, it was more like 20 lines, and you're lucky you got any rp from me, frankly. Just because you stay up past midnight playing illarion doesn't mean all of us don't sleep. Also: You started walking off to the shop, I was headed to the tavern anyway, so don't pin this on me. My character doesn't just randomly stalk people he barely knows.
Kaila Galathil Travinus

Post by Kaila Galathil Travinus »

Alytys Lamar wrote:Sorry to say this... i found at most RP, good RP. Many older players come back, others leave from some reasons. And I don't need a quest to find RP.
I agree, I have on the whole found very good RP when ig and have had a very enjoyable time.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Kaila Galathil wrote:
Alytys Lamar wrote:Sorry to say this... i found at most RP, good RP. Many older players come back, others leave from some reasons. And I don't need a quest to find RP.
I agree, I have on the whole found very good RP when ig and have had a very enjoyable time.
Well they must be hiding from me then.
Alytys Lamar

Post by Alytys Lamar »

AlexRose wrote:
Alytys Lamar wrote:An Alex, yesterday night you leave very quickly, 3 sentences ? more or less ... RP ??
My parents had told me to go to bed an hour before and I'd been procrastinating ever since; then they started going mental at me, I'd walked to TB to log out, it was more like 20 lines, and you're lucky you got any rp from me, frankly. Just because you stay up past midnight playing illarion doesn't mean all of us don't sleep. Also: You started walking off to the shop, I was headed to the tavern anyway, so don't pin this on me. My character doesn't just randomly stalk people he barely knows.
Sorry for speaking with you IG *lol* nnaaaww, serious, I apologize, when your parents told you you have go to sleep you should do this. I'm wondering just you guys are great with OOC.. so why don't give me a little hint in this direction ?

And I walk to the shop after your sentence you have to go... but its okay... I have no problem with, don't be so sensitive. Its not the meaning of the thread that we start to argue with eachother.
Last edited by Alytys Lamar on Thu May 31, 2007 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Enwell van Illdoran wrote:
And Aeghol why are you only showing up when there is a chance to flame against our staff. When was the last time you were IG with any char?
Last time I made major comments I was defending Martin from you hooligans who were whining about Patric's fire. However, you don't get what I'm saying, or what my point is, and you'll make stupid prattle like that.

As for the "last time you were IG" argument, that's getting lame. I thought you were a real hip hop allstar. Come up with your own material and then bring the noise.

When was the last time Martin was ingame playing? Never. However, I'd trust his word to yours 10 to 1 easily.

As much as i know cassy is working out bugs while being a gm.
That's because he's a developer. You see, that is the exact problem that I have. I've not attacked Cassandra in the past because he does his job. A GM's job *is* to take care of the players. If they fail at their task, they have the ability to absolutely ruin the game that people like Cassandra worked so hard to build.
they do think of new things aswell
i bet they took the internal proposal accaess from you..
I quit the staff when I was no longer able to be active and with it the internal boards. This is a point I was making when I was a staff member and a point I make now. While the developers work hard to develop the game, and half the GM staff works under the burden of doing the work of a whole GM staff, the other half keeps their job as a GM only so they can lord it over you, and you'll love them for it. Meanwhile they're taking up space. Be a ninny and defend them for it, quick.

I dont know how you think about this but rl always has rto stay more important than working volunteer on a game.

so just stop bitching and stfu, at a forum community you cant even count yourself a part of, Aeghol
I can certainly consider myself a part of this community. To even begin to describe my legitimacy as part of this community would be a waste of time against a whelp like you.

So let me get this right. The content of your rant against me is: "You must always agree with the staff, *especially* if you don't play anymore, and you can't be a part of the community to watch a game that you spent five years playing develop; rather, some kid that played for half a year is surely your superior in all ways.

All points taken. I've written them down. When you have something fresh to say, you can start writing again.
Thorvald

Re: Decline of Illarion

Post by Thorvald »

I mostly agree with what Aleytys was writing. When you are unlucky it can happen to you that you don't find over thrilling RP. Especially currently where I feel like everyone is busy with the new crafting system.

But I have to disagree with your 'occasional quest', Dusty. Apart from my lich quest (it's getting all a little protracted; I have some real life issues...) and my quests before, we also have a new RP GM who's entertaining the players ingame and is doing a great job.

If so, what can we do to change it before it is too late?
It's not only the GMs making this game. It's mostly the players. A few days ago Cassandra asked me, what happened to player-quests. And he was not speaking of ESQS. He was speaking of the fact that there once used to be players who came up with a plot line for their character themselves and who got others involved. A 'current' example I could think of would be Aleytys. She had a great storyline for her character and got so much people involved into this that it actually turned out as a 'real' quest with gm-help. But her idea and her character was the start of it all.

I don't know who's character it is but I've watched someone a few days ago who played a squalid, 'wild' boy (I think) who weren't speaking but hissing all the time and being unapproachable. I thought it was impressive how his inventive RP caught the interest of another char and in my opinion it was already quest-like and for sure pretty exciting for the other player.

And that's what Illarion makes Illarion. I remember complains about the GMs sending uber-pushed chars out of nowhere upon Gobaith who do something evil. My lich for example. But well, what do you expect? When the players are not getting onto their feet to begin a plot , the GMs have to come up with something 'random'.

If you really want to to do something then come up with such deep characters , with plotlines or quests that you can realize yourself. And if you need help: The RP GMs are always glad to help out with good quests.
Lianis

Post by Lianis »

I'd add just a bit to that last part of Thorvald's statement.

It's our job to make quests a reality in game. It isn't necessarily our responsibility to think them up. There are at least a hundred good, imaginitive players in this game capable of thinking up grand storylines for epic quests. There is no reason only three or four people should be expected to come up with all the ideas.

Now, I don't mean go blasting your vague ideas all over the forum... what fun would a quest be if everyone already knows what's going to happen? And don't necessarily say, 'I want to see this quest happen and I want to play the main uber-character!!!111!' However, you have multiple ways of contacting any of the quest-GMs. I'm sure each and every one of us would love to receive your suggestions for a quest. Give a brief summary, then more details. We may or may not use your quest exactly as submitted... just as we may or may not notify you if we decide to use it. But at the very least, it gives us food for thought, ideas on things to do in the future.