Decline of Illarion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

NirAntae

Post by NirAntae »

I really don't think the RP is declining all that much.

Sure, there are people who ignore a greeting, or who look right past you... but there always have been and always will be. I know I've been on my way to "Do Something" plenty of times and not had time to stop and acknowledge every person who dropped a greeting.

Also, not to be critical, but a lot of times you take *forever* to write out a post, Kevin... it's hard ot catch someone's interest when you take that long. Sometimes you have to give up a little detail for the sake of brevity to get someone interested enough to play with you.

I've made several new characters that I only played once or twice recently, male and female. I can tell you that female characters, if well played, simply get attention more easily than male characters. However, I've had NO problems finding people to play with with either sex character of mine. Maybe not the first person I come across, maybe not even the fifth or tenth... but I almost never go IG without finding *someone* to play with.

On the flipside, however, I have seen one major decline, that concerns me. Not a decline of RP, but of *respect*. Respect towards older characters; respect towards characters' established stories and backgrounds; respect towards other players; respect towards the staff; and so on. I hate to sound like some preachy elder, but I remember a time, when I first joined this game, when the established characters, the leaders of groups and towns and so on, were held almost in awe - people were grateful and humble when Thalodos or Pendar or Aristeaus stopped to talk to them or help them with something. You don't see that now. I could go on, but hopefully you get the idea.

That, I think, is the one thing that is a problem we need to address as a community. Everyone wants to be the best, but you can't have an entire community of 'the best'. You can't have all leaders - there must be followers, too.

I hope this made sense, as I am rather tired as I write it. :oops:
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Uhm, I live in a totally different timezone, and with me that does tend to happen, and, Jennie, they mostly walk on before *anyone* could press a button at all in my case, I finish the post nearly each time by the time they're actually infront of me when passing.
Honestly, yes, I can take long, when I type a lot, but when just finding someone, they can nearly each time, unless I'm already writing a post to someone else, get it, and read it.

I have not been playing awesomely much lately, but back a while, whenever I tried, the chances of someone rping where very slim.

I don't know why this seems so different with you, when you are on at the times I can be, but that taking forever to write honestly I must say is bullshit, as I said when they just keep on walking, almost each time I finish before they actually pass, unless it's very late or early and I'm already tired or the like, then maybe at the last moment.

And taking forever, yes, maybe when I'm already in an rp with you or so, and nearly all the times lately I can rp, I've been damn tired, so if you're reffering to that, here's your answer.

But honestly, there is plenty of time, even if they don't bother to wait.

And I've also had plenty times, that the char was just sitting silently somewhere, doing nothing or rping with someone else, that I try to converse, then still get totally ignored, while they are trading their leathers, or just rping in their little group.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Don't they read these posts? :shock:
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

This thread is a true testament to the ethos of illarion.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

no, cliu, i don't believe that the ethos of illarion is bullshit.

what kevin describes is the typical treatment, i got and get from a lot of the english writing players.

he is a lonely leftover from a vanished group of players, and all of a sudden sees himself in a typical newbie situation.

thats all.
and that is not worse now, than it was a year ago.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Atleast someone seems to know what I am talking about.

Yes, sometimes I get rp, and those I used to rp with arn't all gone, the main ones left, are American, and I can't rp at their times much.

I've had about no time to rp much at all lately, but when I do have time, it is that way.

I should make a Barbarian-like char and bother Tjalf. :twisted:
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

I should make a Barbarian-like char and bother Tjalf.
make an orken maid, and tjalf will court you...
he loves those orken gals with six tits...
Last edited by Korm Kormsen on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Gah, sorry guys about that post a while back, I was already totally pissed at some school group project, wich the guys I had to work with still won't do shit.

So... no harm meant in my post, though the statements remain pretty much the same for me, for now.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I skimmed over the thread and will read it all(carefully) when I get some more time. I would just like to say that we lost many people in the last year or so for various reasons. In fact, we lost a lot of good role players that added to the game in great ways. I think the new players, the younger one especially, are not yet as good role players as some people who have been doing it three or four times as long. I think giving it a bit more time is something to think about.

Quests seem to no longer involve the entire community. Some people say they play multiple hours a day and get no part in the quest or even notice there is a quest.

To the people that think the game is getting dull or bored...
Make it interesting. Trust me, I know one person can make things a bit more interesting. I am sure you can think of something if you try.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The fact, that many old roleplayers left, has nothing to do, that Illarion is on the way to doom ;)

There was allways a comming and leaving. Was allways this way.

Quests do not involve the entire community.

Do you know how difficult it is to make a quest that involves everyone? Such quests have to be impressive large and have to run at least a week.

And those who take part in every day, moan after the third day, that its getting to long.

And i can't say for sure, how many quests were there, in the past that involved everyone?
And who thinks back to this quests only in a possitive way?

Nitram
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

Stop complaining, all of you. Illarion is what you make of it. Illarion is getting better every day if you ask me.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Nitram wrote:The fact, that many old roleplayers left, has nothing to do, that Illarion is on the way to doom ;)

Do you know how difficult it is to make a quest that involves everyone? Such quests have to be impressive large and have to run at least a week.

And those who take part in every day, moan after the third day, that its getting to long.

And i can't say for sure, how many quests were there, in the past that involved everyone?

Nitram
I meant quests seem to involve less people than they used to. If you would simply read the posts and responses of people from the past and the ones from the present on quests you would surely see that. And yes, they have to be large and run at least a week. Most people enjoy those kind a lot.

People come and go. About a year ago we lost one of the largest amounts of people at a single time. When the java client came out and when the joining system was changed. Effects from that are still seen today.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

There have always been game function / community / IG roleplay problems in Illarion, but over time it shifts from certain things to other things. You might think one problem is worse than another so it seems like it got worse, but it's just changing as it always has, just like how players come and go.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Fooser wrote:There have always been game function / community / IG roleplay problems in Illarion, but over time it shifts from certain things to other things. You might think one problem is worse than another so it seems like it got worse, but it's just changing as it always has, just like how players come and go.
You will invent faster than light travel, end all famines and wars or find a cure for the AIDS someday. Or all of those at once. You can quote me on that. :!:
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:
Fooser wrote:There have always been game function / community / IG roleplay problems in Illarion, but over time it shifts from certain things to other things. You might think one problem is worse than another so it seems like it got worse, but it's just changing as it always has, just like how players come and go.
You will invent faster than light travel, end all famines and wars or find a cure for the AIDS someday. Or all of those at once. You can quote me on that. :!:
And you will understand the women! ;)

sorry for the spam ^^
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:
Well, obviously
Grant

Post by Grant »

I love Fooser. Can I have a hug?
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

And now back to topic!
Kundra

Post by Kundra »

Is this topic still up??? your avin' a laugh ain'tcha???

If you skowzer's don't like it then feck off and stop leaking your thoughts cause they dont really matter now do they?

The players have just as much influence on the rp as anything else! and all you guys do is complain about each and everything, this isnt right; this ruins the rp; i'm such a good rp player= well go and prove it and improve what you see to be a game going down the pan ya bunch of whiners!

As for me (but it doesnt matter!) i like the game and intend on playing when i want to, if i dont want to play i wont...see? We should all be thankful that theres actually a game like illarion that allows real rp'ing unlike all the other poor excuses where all the players wander around saying "my skill is better than you noobz!"

Don t make me laugh!

p.s i had to write something cause this whole thread is just stupid.

p.p.s thank to all of you that made illarion, cause i like to play it..I quite like it actually!
Talaena Landessi

Post by Talaena Landessi »

Things, that if put together would fix illarion:

-Account wipe: Make everyone reapply for thier account. Bring back the roleplay story. Add a few other questions so you make sure that they know what roleplaying is and assuring that they know how the game functions. Its not a right to play illarion, its a privalege.

This would delete all characters. These characters couldnt be reapplied for. (Though I suppose they could make the same character with a different name.) Also make people apply for these characters. Background, personality, and description required in the app. More gms, or app checkers would probably be needed.

-History wipe: All the towns amd all the npcs would go bye-bye. A new history would begin. You would of course have to alter the starter packages with higher quality, proper tools. So that people could begin to build this new world.

Sample new start: A colony is to be founded. (probably by one of the three "civilized" human cultures. Perhaps prisoners and or slaves/ low ranked citizens are the pcs..)They get there do thier thing, set up a small village...the soldiers and the ruler that went along on behalf of the founding kingdom become supressive and the colonists rebel.

This start can either be played through by pcs or it can just be the introduction which would leave the start of the game date several years after the colonists manage to gain thier freedom or what not. leaving the pcs more freedom as to where they came from, who they are and what they want to do. Though reguardless, the town shouldnt be that big. With only a couple nessesary npcs.

Another idea would to make it a requirement to play a human as your first character. effectively keeping only silverbrand, the orc cave, the goblin spawn village, greenbriar as npc towns untill the races are unlock for playability to players. they would all be filled with npcs, perhaps keeping the orcs, goblins, and maybe the dwarves hostile to any pcs comming around (until quests are finished) while the halflings of green briar would be nutral and just happy to go about thier buisness.
-----------------------------------

With all this, im almost positive the game would straighten out. People would just have to think about whats best for the game instead of thier own characters and the progress with those characters.

Slower skill gain, expanded racial info, and a release on the mechanics of the game would be useful aswell. It was always annoying that we had to guess on what to put for out attributes, that we had to figure out for ourselves how everything works together. Would be nice to know how everything works together.
Richard Cypher

Post by Richard Cypher »

Nitram wrote:The fact, that many old roleplayers left, has nothing to do, that Illarion is on the way to doom ;)

Nitram
The dragon quest with Damien and you guys involved anyone who was online that day so really it involved everyone. That is one. So hah take that!
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

It probably started after I left. I mean, i was illarion's life force, basically :P

Well, not quite, but i did come up with tons of quests, even though not all were done (most werent, even though they were good...), and my two chars constantly caused controversy IC.

I mean come on. Anyone remeber Ules being possessed by the fire spirit? Got about 2 or 3 quests out of that.

Then there was Cris actively trying to overhrow the town guards, and trying to rally thieves together (not very successful, but thats just cus I couldnt get any gms to help me out).

There was Ules spreading hatred about Varshikar, after the bloodskulls war.

And Ules always had some quirk going on with his magic, what with the backstory i gave him (not that he ever got magic after the cahrwhipe, cus it was made such a bitch to aquire, and everybody who wouldve taught Ules dissapeared). TGhat's why i actually stopped playing with him, because i cant play a mage if he cant learn magic.

I dunno why i ended up stopping with my thief, though. Maybe, cus i was tired of every guard complaining OOC when Cris escaped from jail because another thief got him out or they threw him in with equipment. Oh, plus he tended to outrun burly guys in armor, such a shame, you know?

Also, there tended to hardly be anyone who'd rp being stolen from, so that was annoying.

Anyway, I may start rping again soon, at least if i can find a place for cris. Ules will start if a new magic system i had heard about gets implemented, as he'll be able to learn base runes without a teacher.

Also, hardly anyone i used to rp with is left, so that annoys me. I guess i can meet new people ingame, with les in particular. But it's not easy to start up antoehr thieve's guild for Cris...

Anyway, im done ranting now, hehe

EDIT: actually, one question, is there anyone who remembers me that wants me back ingame? :P
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

Talaena Landessi wrote:Things, that if put together would fix illarion:

-Account wipe: Make everyone reapply for thier account. Bring back the roleplay story. Add a few other questions so you make sure that they know what roleplaying is and assuring that they know how the game functions. Its not a right to play illarion, its a privalege.

This would delete all characters. These characters couldnt be reapplied for. (Though I suppose they could make the same character with a different name.) Also make people apply for these characters. Background, personality, and description required in the app. More gms, or app checkers would probably be needed.

-History wipe: All the towns amd all the npcs would go bye-bye. A new history would begin. You would of course have to alter the starter packages with higher quality, proper tools. So that people could begin to build this new world.

Sample new start: A colony is to be founded. (probably by one of the three "civilized" human cultures. Perhaps prisoners and or slaves/ low ranked citizens are the pcs..)They get there do thier thing, set up a small village...the soldiers and the ruler that went along on behalf of the founding kingdom become supressive and the colonists rebel.

This start can either be played through by pcs or it can just be the introduction which would leave the start of the game date several years after the colonists manage to gain thier freedom or what not. leaving the pcs more freedom as to where they came from, who they are and what they want to do. Though reguardless, the town shouldnt be that big. With only a couple nessesary npcs.

Another idea would to make it a requirement to play a human as your first character. effectively keeping only silverbrand, the orc cave, the goblin spawn village, greenbriar as npc towns untill the races are unlock for playability to players. they would all be filled with npcs, perhaps keeping the orcs, goblins, and maybe the dwarves hostile to any pcs comming around (until quests are finished) while the halflings of green briar would be nutral and just happy to go about thier buisness.
-----------------------------------

With all this, im almost positive the game would straighten out. People would just have to think about whats best for the game instead of thier own characters and the progress with those characters.

Slower skill gain, expanded racial info, and a release on the mechanics of the game would be useful aswell. It was always annoying that we had to guess on what to put for out attributes, that we had to figure out for ourselves how everything works together. Would be nice to know how everything works together.
It's not going to happen.
But I actually favor this idea,
With the exception of 'Slower Skill Gain'.
If anything, it needs to be quicker.
Gort Greegog

Post by Gort Greegog »

falco1029 wrote:It probably started after I left. I mean, i was illarion's life force, basically :P

Well, not quite, but i did come up with tons of quests, even though not all were done (most werent, even though they were good...), and my two chars constantly caused controversy IC.

I mean come on. Anyone remeber Ules being possessed by the fire spirit? Got about 2 or 3 quests out of that.

Then there was Cris actively trying to overhrow the town guards, and trying to rally thieves together (not very successful, but thats just cus I couldnt get any gms to help me out).

There was Ules spreading hatred about Varshikar, after the bloodskulls war.

And Ules always had some quirk going on with his magic, what with the backstory i gave him (not that he ever got magic after the cahrwhipe, cus it was made such a bitch to aquire, and everybody who wouldve taught Ules dissapeared). TGhat's why i actually stopped playing with him, because i cant play a mage if he cant learn magic.

I dunno why i ended up stopping with my thief, though. Maybe, cus i was tired of every guard complaining OOC when Cris escaped from jail because another thief got him out or they threw him in with equipment. Oh, plus he tended to outrun burly guys in armor, such a shame, you know?

Also, there tended to hardly be anyone who'd rp being stolen from, so that was annoying.

Anyway, I may start rping again soon, at least if i can find a place for cris. Ules will start if a new magic system i had heard about gets implemented, as he'll be able to learn base runes without a teacher.

Also, hardly anyone i used to rp with is left, so that annoys me. I guess i can meet new people ingame, with les in particular. But it's not easy to start up antoehr thieve's guild for Cris...

Anyway, im done ranting now, hehe

EDIT: actually, one question, is there anyone who remembers me that wants me back ingame? :P
I can remember your old posts, but not much of your rp though(likely cause I didn't ever read the rpg forums....) But if I consider the game now, you will only add to the it. So get urr arse in and play.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

i actually logged in with my thief a bit ago, but there was no one around, and didnt feel like searching the lands.

EDIT: Another thing i want to ask, any gm in particular. Way back when i played, Ules has psionic abilities that required rp cooperation of anybody i was playing with (He could read minds and to a limited extent control weak-willed individuals). I just wanna know if the gm's still allow that sort of thng, cus they've changed their minds about those sorts of thing sbefore.
Bei Tian Kensai

Post by Bei Tian Kensai »

I've tried getting back into it recently, and the thing I've noticed most is that it's quite difficult if your a new character/player to interact with people. Granted, I've only played 3 or 4 times recently, and I'll probably settle in the more I play..but it's hard to get an RP going without there being an actual proper social event.

Er..maybe it's just me, I dunno. I'll shut up now.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Bei Tian Kensai wrote:I've tried getting back into it recently, and the thing I've noticed most is that it's quite difficult if your a new character/player to interact with people. Granted, I've only played 3 or 4 times recently, and I'll probably settle in the more I play..but it's hard to get an RP going without there being an actual proper social event.

Er..maybe it's just me, I dunno. I'll shut up now.
It's not always the case. It very much depends on your char and the chars you meet. I've had a few chars that it was hard to meet new characters, but I've had others that got to know quite some other chars easily.

You just need some patience to meet the right ones. :wink:
Bei Tian Kensai

Post by Bei Tian Kensai »

Mhm, I think your probably right. I always gave up in the past after a while because I was never really getting anywhere with any of my chars. I guess I just need to be persistent :?