Double Standards

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Japheth

Double Standards

Post by Japheth »

Damien has issued unwarranted, abusive private messages to me and one other former GM. Granted, it was an apparent "mistake" with me, but I still felt abused after it. My question:

Is it the case that private messages do not warrant being issued with "dots," or is Damien immune from receiving them because he's a staff member? Should staff members be immune from disciplinary measures? This isn't meant to provoke flaming, but merely a casual exercise in examining the staff's new method of "punishing" players.

Perhaps a reward system for posters would also be nice? Perhaps posters who provide well structured and well thought out opinions, or topics are provided with other badges of honour.

Remember, you'll get more with a carrot than with a stick.

Thoughts, opinions?
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Thoughts, opinions?
just a thought:
most you get with a carrot hung from a stick...
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

That's a fair point. I agree that a moderate approach with punishment and reward is the best way, but there currently only seems to be the more negative aspect manifesting on the board.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

i would like to rephrase a little:
the negative aspect of Illarion seem to be the boards.

sometimes i wish, the forum would perma-crash, so we all would just go ingame and play.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

The fallacy there is that your taking your freedom to basically say what you like on this forum as a right, and its not. It is the reward for agreeing to and playing by the rules, banishment and now these "dots" are the punishment for breaking them.
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

Some of us though, use the forums more than the game. I know that the forums are just a support for the game, but there are some people here that I honestly like a great deal, and enjoy reading their posts more than roleplaying with them. I'll probably eventually just fade away, like a bad smell, but while I'm here, I'd like the atmosphere to be a little nicer and...less robust..with moderation.
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

The fallacy there is that your taking your freedom to basically say what you like on this forum as a right, and its not.
I don't actually. You might remember me as the strictest moderator ever to grace the off-topic forum. I'm aware that what people say needs to be monitored, and if they cross a certain line, leaving good taste far behind, then they need to get their little dots under their avatars.

What did The Returner and Ku'agor do to warrant their new dot status? If they uttered something misogynistic, homophobic, or racist, then fine, but if they didn't, then what's the punishment for?

The thing that irks me the most, is the casual misogyny that graces Illarion's boards. Words like "bitch" are bandied about casually, and the wielders of those incredibly offensive words are never punished.

If I'm being entirely honest, this whole topic started because one player labeled another as being "gay," using it as a pejorative. This player is now one of the people implementing and supporting this new punishment system, and I just think it's incredibly hypocritical to not punish one person for breaking rule 11 or 12, or whatever number it is.

Do we allow double standards here? From the staff, I'd like an answer, yes or no?
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

japhet,

a general thought:
we all get, what we ask for.

this game does not need any information about the POs. so if we give info about ourselves, it is voluntary.
and nobody can anger or tease us with something, we did not bring to others knowledge voluntaryly.
i gave the information, that i am 55 of age.
so i am teased as grandpa. and sometimes somebody tries to anger me by calling me drunken grandpa.
they could not, if they did not know my age. which i gave of my free will.

so, for you being "from the other platform", who would know it, who could use or abuse it, if you did not wanted this fact about you to be known?

by your former posts i think, you are intelligent enough, to understand what i am aiming at...

korm
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I think there is a distinct double standard. The mentality on the forums is that Illarion 'belongs' to those who volunteer to be staff, and everyone else is just permitted to play in their playground.

It seems that the majority of punishments are handed out under the pretense of a specific rule infraction, but in most cases the punishments are often too heavy for that specific rule violation, which leads me to think that individuals are punished more for general 'undesirable' behaviour.

Of course, the punishments are biased too. Having never done so, I can't be sure, but I suspect that if I made a post to the nature of, "You're too stupid to understand my argument," directed at a staff member, I'd be punished, while the same post directed at me from a staff member would be ignored.
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

Japheth wrote:I don't actually. You might remember me as the strictest moderator ever to grace the off-topic forum.
ROFL!! You're silly.

P.S.

My dawt is hawt.

Zomg HAI JAPHETH!!!
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Japheth wrote:
If I'm being entirely honest, this whole topic started because one player labeled another as being "gay," using it as a pejorative.
I meant to correct that, but I was gone before you returned. He *did* imply that I'm homosexual, but he didn't say it like "you're so gay" or "you're a gay" or "let's have sex" or anything like that.

It was that he confused me with you and said something along the lines of "I don't want you to think that I'm saying this because you're gay, because I have gay friends..." The problem is that even if I were gay, what good does it do bringing it up?

It's just unprofessional. Imagine if instead of saying "gay" he said "black" or "jew" or, hell, even "woman." That's ridiculous.

I don't know. I originally wasn't going to bring any public attention to this, because I didn't want to offend the few staff members I still have respect for, but the fact that he attacked Japheth as well makes this as much an issue for Japheth as it does me.

What further bugs me, though, is that he can't tell the difference between the two of us. We're just those "foreign GM's" in his mind, and we might as well be the same people. I've gotten angry with him time and time again and argued that he has a bad habit of typing a thousand times more than he reads, and this is just an example of that. How responsible can your decisions be when the output is greater than the input?
Arien Edhel

Re: Double Standards

Post by Arien Edhel »

Japheth wrote:Damien has issued unwarranted, abusive private messages to me and one other former GM. Granted, it was an apparent "mistake" with me, but I still felt abused after it. My question:

Is it the case that private messages do not warrant being issued with "dots," or is Damien immune from receiving them because he's a staff member? Should staff members be immune from disciplinary measures? This isn't meant to provoke flaming, but merely a casual exercise in examining the staff's new method of "punishing" players.

Perhaps a reward system for posters would also be nice? Perhaps posters who provide well structured and well thought out opinions, or topics are provided with other badges of honour.

Thoughts, opinions?
If you dislike write to GM-Abuse

Topic closed.