Loggers

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alkuurg

Post by Alkuurg »

Logging in battle is forbidden, no? So simply report the player's number to a gm.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

Well 10 seconds is jsut a number, and if they respond, it obviously gives them more time... it does NOT take 10 seconds to right, okay! fin! or... just Fine! here!
in that case my chars have to attack your's on sight!

due to lag my commands or speech reach the screen between 15 t0 20 seconds after giving them.
they are not very weak, but very slow.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I have to agree with Lennier, but it's quite impossible to do that.
You'll have an advantage if you don't rp as much, and thus some people would use it, and soon everyone'd be doing it again. Unless we get 20 more gms to tell the people not to.
xBaurusx

Post by xBaurusx »

well then the only way tog et this through the heads of the loggers is to put this rule right in there face. no one reads the manuel... come on we all know that, so instead them going through the manuel, becuase they wont, we bring the important rules to the play. i dont know how, maybe sometime during character creation... this is changing the topic i know but seriously... just hving the new charcter check would solve all of this...
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

What we all gotta keep in mind is Role playing a bandit does not mean only role playing the action of stealing and killing. They need to set up some sort of "Black-Market" to sell the goods they get and to buy things like food and weapons, Most players won't be to comfortable selling their goods to bandits, because its a possibility that the bandits well use their goods to kill them later on.
Playing Bandits are the way some people chose to role-play, But the good ones don't just kill and steal. I don't think its fair to log out on the ones who at least put some effort into the game, because at least they try to make the world funner (Imagine a world where no one ever fought or got killed, Thats very, VERY boring in my mind, Sooner or later, If people keep logging out on GOOD bandits, thats what Illarion well end up like).
Anyway, I think Baurus has a very good point, But thats just my 2 cents.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Grant was the best bandit ever homie! He was never caught!
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Logouts during fights with the aim so keep the life of the own char. This is forbidden!
If your robbing rp is corect (not forced), then it is against the rules for them to log out. Just tell a gm their name/number

The end.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

If you where the best bandit ever, You wouldn't have just admited to BEING a bandit.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Grant's not a bandit anymore.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Just a thought,

Wouldn't the knocking out of players and being able to loot SOME items from them make people less likely to log out?

Maybe only a certain amount/value of items could be taken? Or a random roll to see what items can be looted?

Like I said, just a thought.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

this has already been thought and it's in progress hehe ;)
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I know, I simply meant like they could consider waiting for that to happen instead of making some other solution.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Achae Eanstray wrote:So the bandits have someone on the run "with certain death" (no rp option that they can get away if they don't want to be ghosted or possibly give some item to gain their freedom I assume), and the bandits are angry that the char logs off? I know that is not right, to log off, but I thought rp was suppose to have options. Due to the loss of skill and objects, sounds like the victim doesn't have much rp options :(
pah, there was a GM pushed character (skillwise and itemwise) that would rob people and ghost them if they ran. No RP options out of this.

And if your are disconnected because of lag your character STAYS ingame for a certain amount of time. I used to be disconnected alot, and sometimes still am, and in those experiences, when i get my connection back, my character was still logged in. It is BS when someone logs off immediately and says he was disconnected.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Uhm, you can drop other ways, like an accidental computer shut down.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

well then the only way tog et this through the heads of the loggers is to put this rule right in there face
good idea!

maybe in the way, as a lot of programs give you "the tip of the day" when you log in?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Frankly, I won't even argue against loggers in this case because ctrl clicking sucks. I hate it when bandits pwn you and take your stuff. It's basically PKing but you have an 'rp reason' (we're bandits; we own people for our character concepts). I personally resent it and verily enjoy the moment they have a taste of their own medicine.

However, I enjoy the rp bandits and if this is one of those scenarios, I will happily join the conquest.

I know they technically have a reason to pk, but it spoils others' fun.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Please, don't make all of us bend over just because some people don't know how to behave. It would be a real phyrric victory if someone with real game stability/connection issues would suffer the consequences each time electronics fail him. Not to mention how prone for noob-pk that solution is, considering how even now all you have to do is to open your player and switch the mp3 song (takes maybe 20-30 sec) and already there is some fool trying to stab your character to death. (Kids - don't go AFK in the tavern alone, ever. :roll: )

As for them logging out, the solution has been already said here. Write the number down and wait if he/she comes back (in case of some real technical problem). If he/she does not, report ít to the game administration.

But anyway, I feel for them somewhat, because skillgaining is so mindnumbingly boring. :wink: That doesn't make it acceptable, but sort of understandable (especially if they haven't been given a real way out, I'm not saying that it's the case here, BUT..)..
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

The bad thing of that is, if example, a thief steals one of your item of great value and runs, as you nearly finished him off he logs out. You report him to the GMs, he gets a warning, but where did your item go? Most likely you will never get it back, same thing for robbing, if you rob a character for a certain item and that character logs, you dont get it, and what the robbers wants are items, not for the player to get punished, get my point?
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Then it simply needs to be made default consequence, that the character will lose any and all benefit gained by the player's logging out.
Siltaris

Post by Siltaris »

Where is the eternal King of all Thieves when his word is needed...? :)
Gurog Wuruk

Post by Gurog Wuruk »

Would it be possible to make a hard-coded exception for the use of the Esc key, such that when the Esc key is depressed the character would remain in game for X amount of time? Additionally, once the Esc is depressed and their character remains in game, they may not be targeted for future attacks by either creature or player. This would eliminate PK attempts for characters logged out in a proper fashion, and dissuade players from logging out while currently targeted, as these characters would remain in game for X amount of time and still be subject to harm by those who had them targeted prior to their use of the Esc to exit the client. This would also allow for distinguishing between players who exit the client using the Esc key and those who’s connectivity was terminated, something which is out of their control.
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

Lennier wrote:To make a little summary before you end this discussion with anything, that has nothing to do with the topic.

We have at least 3 points here which should be noticed:

Logouts during fights with the aim so keep the life of the own char. This is forbidden!

Logouts because of lag/Connection closed - Thats very hard for all, but no player can do something against it.

The problem is to can make differences. It is possible to see if a player loged out, because he does not want to play with the others, that he want to save the life of his char? Uhm, my technical knowledge is limited, but i think its not possible to get control about this.... The only thing is to keep an open eye. If single players repeat their behavoir you can see any conditions for this - the wish of the player to logout or not.

The last point here was "RP vz technical engine". The life of a bandit in Illarion and the life of the player behind of a badit charackter is very hard in Illarion.
If he uses the engine and attributes of his char too often everyone would call him a PK without a sense for roleplay.
If the player only roleplay his bandit he never will have sucess, because the most of his victims will use the engine too flee, to kill him or to logout.
Great fun for a player of a bandit!

Sometimes i get the feeling, that we have some players who only want to roleplay, without to use the engine of the game (except of the chat). Very nice, very friendly and very, very fair. But people like them would have more fun in a IRC-chatroom than with playing in Illarion, because using the enginge is allowed and wished...

It needs a way in the mid of both. A bandit must be a charackter with good attributes and skills and he needs his fights, because a bandit/robber/muderer has to use the enginge to get his success. But of course it is no offer for a bandit to kill all his victims. Illarion is a roleplay game with an engine. That means the use of the engine need a sense. A robber or thief does not kill all his vitims. He would be a murderer, no thief. And muderers were executed sooner or later, in Illarions history too. So keep an eye at the consequences of your acting.

And i am no friend of thief-players, which have to ask their victim-players OOC before they can act with each other...
The way you type that you make it seem like you don't like the idea of PO Baurus playing a thief in general, d'oh. Which it probably is.
Noon

Post by Noon »

Im sure this conversation has been had about 99999 times.

Ill quote myself from quite some time ago
Banditry is a 2 man operation, the bandit and the victim. Like all matters in Illarion it is down to fair play on both sides.
And as to the pk aspect, it should be kept to the minimum and reserved for those who dont understand the concept of roleplay. If a bandit is successfull there should be no ctrl clicking. But you would be suprised how many people can unsheath a two handed sword whilst they have a dagger to thier throat.
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Um, sorry Darren, its maybe just me, but don't wear those using twohanded swords usually metal armor and metall helmet, giving you with that few space to hold a dagger against their throat? Also...which sane bandit trys to rob a man, who has a twohanded sword and armor, with nothing else than a dagger?
Last edited by Samantha Meryadeles on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

there is one problem for me.

in real life, or in pen & paper, my char or I would take one step back, if somebody suspicious would come near.

in illarion, to do that, i have to turn away and go one step, and then to turn around again,

so, how does an intended victim react?
(without getting a knife at the neck or in the back)

somebody, who is playing a woodsman, for instance, is not very likely to be surprised by a robber.
(in contrary to a craftsman or scholar)
Noon

Post by Noon »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote:Um, sorry Darren, its maybe just me, but don't wear those using twohanded swords usually metal armor and metall helmet, giving you with that few space to hold a dagger against their throat? Also...which sane bandit trys to rob a man who has a twohanded sword with him with a dagger?
If you can get close enough, there are vunerable area's be sure. But what i was going to say is that in Illarion, even the sweet 9 year old girl with pigtails will have a two handed sword hidden somewhere on her person somehow :p

Its the same as the whole populace wander about in armour 24/7 :p

And Korm, ill come after your woodsman when i get a chance and see how it goes ;)
Samantha Meryadeles

somebody, who is playing a woodsman, for instance, is not very likely to be surprised by a robber.
He is right, try to sneak behind a man who is swinging a sharp axe in a wide arch while chopping down a tree ;)
Noon

Post by Noon »

Sneaking upto people perhaps. But sneaking is not always necersary, just greeting someone in conversation and sharing a drink with them at times can let you get past thier guard. People see bandity as black and white. There are many more factors which can be involved and tatics deployed ;)
Samantha Meryadeles

There are many more factors which can be involved and tatics deployed
Like Boobs? There are far too few "BOOBS" involved in bandit work, yes yes, agree with you :P
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

noon,

ok, but give me time, lots of time...
... if we want to rp it. - 'cause of my omnipresent lag.

(and you will be unhappy with the bounty, my barbarians travel light)