New Races?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

swish1

New Races?

Post by swish1 »

Except for Tanistian I do not see fairies. I have not seen 1 gnome ever.
I have not seen 1 goblin 2-3 months. Come on someone start playing them.. I want to play but probably get rejected..
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

When they came out everyone was using them, but as I thought, after a while they woulnt be played much anymore. The reason is simple, most players arent able to use them properly and get bored of them, or some just do not see all the possibilitys, others the restrictions in comparison to other races.
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

its like that with orcs too :( they just dont see the fun in it

also we all inactive as hell to lately.. .fucking college
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

In fact there are a couple of active faeries and one goblin atleast
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

My goblin is no fun if noone plays along with him, or I log in and though there are about 30 players online I don't find anyone in Troll's Bane.
And since I have three more active characters to play he doesn't get much online time.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

As soon we get some quality applications, beside the usual "cuz I cool", you will see more of these races arround.

Part of the problem is, that these races are somewhat aimed to the 'Illarion-Veteran-Players', those who have already played a little while and know what we probably expect from them, but only Newbies are applying.

I don't know a fix for this on top of my head.
Maybe one of the Quester can think of a little event to promote these races once in a blue moon.

Reference:
Keikans Gems
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

Uhm.. there are at least four active fairies at the moment and there is at least one gnome. The only goblin I ever saw was on when the big quest with Negros was ending...
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

omg liek 2 goblins online atm!!!111
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Lol, i applied for a fairy as soon as I joined and I was still accepted! And I play a fairy quite often really. They just don't all go round trollsbane, as that is often not the rp of most of them.
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

well and most of the reactions are rather annoying

people are like 'oh goblin with number = playerchar'
so they don't react

atleast some of them ran away, 2 noobs attacked on sight

but most of them act like they're normal

i think the faeries also experienced that
some players hang in their groups, doing their own worl rp

it's like: greetings (if really any respond comes from them) and then they ignore you, like they're used to see goblins/faeries/gnomes around
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

I would think the characters notice the goblin doesn't immediately attack you, so you shouldn't do likewise. Maybe on seeing it you should #me draws his sword or something. And the only real way to stop it, is to make goblin chars who do attack immediatedly :twisted:
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

imho it's not normal having a peacful goblin around
not in areas, where those live and attack on sight

maybe there should really be a bad goblin gang raiding some civilized places, so people realize that not all of them are friendly and that it's not common, that they enter towns to live/work there. but people have always been strange here, bringing their own opinions about equality and stuff into the game... ._
Solumn

Post by Solumn »

Anyone who own new race can post max. attributes? I recall to see this somewhere, but I can't remember and that seems not accurat either.
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

for what reason?
so you can decide what race would be the best crafter?
kert krye

Post by kert krye »

i have apply for a ghome and have 1 day in work.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

I did apply for a faerie, but I don't even play as one anymore. Not enough faeries were roleplaying with her, except for PO of Tanistian. I ended up deleting her...

Maybe implementing the special races the way they are was a bad idea. That's just my opinion. After all, not everyone here is a veteran roleplayer. Myself, I've been roleplaying for most of my life, and I still am not anywhere close to the people here. Others may be just like that, or similar. From what I've seen, there are only a handful (albiet a big handful) of decent roleplayers here. And some people I know in real life say it's a lost art.

But, those people are noobs that play World of Warcraft, so they don't matter...But that's another topic.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Deinarious wrote:I did apply for a faerie, but I don't even play as one anymore. Not enough faeries were roleplaying with her, except for PO of Tanistian. I ended up deleting her...

Maybe implementing the special races the way they are was a bad idea. That's just my opinion. After all, not everyone here is a veteran roleplayer. Myself, I've been roleplaying for most of my life, and I still am not anywhere close to the people here. Others may be just like that, or similar. From what I've seen, there are only a handful (albiet a big handful) of decent roleplayers here. And some people I know in real life say it's a lost art.

But, those people are noobs that play World of Warcraft, so they don't matter...But that's another topic.
Look, if this is your statement, then improve it yourself perhaps? Let people learn through example?
Nerian Finera

Post by Nerian Finera »

well...thank you...
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Nerian Finera wrote:

well...thank you...
Oh yes, I forgot to say that. Thanks Deinarious! Of course generalisation if the way to go!
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

well and most of the reactions are rather annoying

people are like 'oh goblin with number = playerchar'
so they don't react

atleast some of them ran away, 2 noobs attacked on sight

but most of them act like they're normal

maybe because goblins ARE normal? there is no reason to run away. if you think everyone should fear your goblin or being shocked to see one you are simply not able to play a goblin proper.

listen, there are also orc bandits in the woods, human bandits, elven rangers attacking you, and so on. but you dont run away from those races too, so why from goblin? since they are a playerrace they become a race like everyone other. and not something strange and wonderous on which you have to react in shock or surprise when seeing them
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

Goblins raid the north and are beloved questmonsters, nearly everyone fought a goblin. I just wanted to point out that, when living next to an aggressive goblinhorde, you don't say 'Greetings' to the next goblin passing you by in the wild - for example.

But I thank you a lot for telling me, that I'm probably unable to play a prober goblin.

Everyone would be suspicious if he saw a human near the bandits' lair but a goblin in the wilderness or even the northern woods is just normal? Thanks a lot for that information, I will think of it when playing the next time.

What I was talking about is something like: Oh, a goblin, you don't see those around these days, not raiding a village or terrorizing the north (just an example)

This is Gobiath and not the main continent, where goblins are common among the human folk.

Another thing is:
Everyone has a different point of view when it comes to 'good roleplaying'. I've made the experience that from others told 'excellent roleplay' was rather crappy and on the other hand so called 'bad roleplay' great.
Noon

Post by Noon »

If we wanted to speak about good roleplay we would say all goblins would be attacked on sight within towns. And that the only reason orcs could walk about them would be the fear of attacking one.

Neither of these races would be accepted in a normal community.

But then where else do you see elfs getting drunk and acting slutty in a tavern ;)

Welcome to Gobaith where goblins are kings and fairys mop the floors.

8)
Shadow Dancer

Post by Shadow Dancer »

Hey, the mob walks around in NY too.. Some orcs follow the law, as do some goblins. Elves shouldnt behave slutty in taverns, and should rearly get drunk.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

i propose a new race:

the bigmouthed threelegged vocal heroe.

(just, that turny might get ingame as well...)
Damien

Post by Damien »

If you read the goblin description, you may find out that you can play either civilized or barbarian goblins. Too many players don't see the possibilities hidden in these descriptions.
The first is quite unlikely to use a weapon of course. That's far too barbaric. This role fits for alchemists, merchants, house servants (ever imagined a goblin in a livree ? OH YEAH. SMEXXAH ! Just imagine the middle-parting ! :wink: ) or messengers, and likewise. In general - a servant goblin is often well-combed, well-smelling, well-mannered, very distinguished and holds his nose quite high into the air. A merchant goblin won't act "barbaric" neither, but the combination of some cunningness, a good business nose and these huge, watery eyes has made some goblin quite well-off.

The second, "barbaric" goblin is much likely to know how to handle low-tech pokey thingies. But it requires many more than one goblin to attack something unknown, especially if it's bigger than him. And even if it's smaller - stepping in front of one (or several) with self-confidence and stamping a foot shouting "BOO!" should be the most likely way to make barbaric goblins run away in panic.
There are many possibilities for playing goblins. However, playing Goblins as villains is quite unfitting. The civilized Goblin would be too much reminded of his "barbaric" relatives and too eager to keep his own hands clean - a civilized "evil" goblin can be, for example, imagined as the loyal servant of someone with selfish, but hopefully un-messy plans. Anyhow if not treated well enough (as if being ordered to get his own hands dirty), a civilized goblin is civilized enough to run away.
A "barbaric" goblin is usually far too uneducated to be a real "villain", except if it is about food. Even barbaric goblins can become very cunning if their tummy demands it. So, a bunch of hungry goblin barbarians can even do things like kidnapping people and demanding them to cook for them (bringing them "tasty" materials like mud, worms, crunchy bugs and maggots, etc.). They might especially expect miracles from halflings. But kidnapping halfling cooks can be quite dangerous for barbaric goblins, they might (inspired by their little soon-to-be-master) haunt the whole island in the quest for the sweetest strawberries, and develop civilized habits like farming, planting and tea time !
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Misjbar, Nerrian...go smile yourselves.