Shielding/Protection Spells Brainstorm

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Some new ideas:

Mage magic

Area shield - Creates a magical shield arrownd the caster and X sqares arrownd him.

Blind - Causes the target to lose line of sight. The effect is similar to the "fog", but only more intense.

Slow/Mass slow

Silence - For mage to mage combat - causes a mage to lose the ability to cast for a X amount of seconds.

Rust - Causes the equipment of the target to suffer a X ammount of rott-circles.

Warp - Teleports the target into a random, remote location.

Life for Mana

Death & Decay - Temporarely creates a spawn point for X,Y,Z type of hostile undead.

Druid Magic

Summon Tree

Call of the wild - Temporarely/Permanently creates a spawn point for friendlyanimals

Abundence - Cast on crops, makes them to be ready for harvest faster/instanlty

Summon seeds/plants

Ensnare - Target is binded into place

Nature's Wrath - Target receives dmg that grows with every missing point of life that the druid has.

Priest Magic

Restauration - Instant, full heal.

Lay on Hands - Paladin spell - instant, full heal on self.

Word of Fear - Makes the target unable to attack for X amount of time

Word of Pain - Target receives a large handicap at chance of hit/dodge/parry + damage over time

Salvation - Priest receives a high amount of dmg, but teleports himself and all of X sqares arrownd him, to a random town.

Sanctuary - Similar to mages's area shield, but the dmg taken depleats the mana of the priest.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Summon Tree? Seems.. too weird to be true, seriously...
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

New Spells:

- Area shield - Creates a magical shield arrownd the caster and X sqares arrownd him.
- Blind - Causes the target to lose line of sight. The effect is similar to the "fog", but only more intense.
- Slow - Reduces the Agility of the target
Weaken - Reduces Strength of the target
- Dumbfound - Reduces Intelligence of the target.
- Silence - For mage to mage combat - causes a mage to lose the ability to cast for a X amount of seconds. (Keep interrupting?)
- Rust - Causes the equipment of the target to suffer a X ammount of rott-circles.
- Warp - Teleports the target into a random, remote location.
- Life for Mana - Sacrifice some health for mana.
- Undead Spawn - Temporarely creates a spawn point for X,Y,Z type of hostile undead.

Rune Combinations:

-Area Shield - IRA PEN SAV DUN QWAN - Create Spirit Shield Greater Power
-Blind - ???
-Slow - TAUR KEL SUL QWAN - Creature Move Slow Power
-Weaken - ???
-Dumbfound - ???
-Silence - PEN KEL TAH QWAN - Spirit Move Invert Power
-Rust - ORL ANTH TAH - Create Object Inverse
-Warp - JUS TAUR KEL QWAN - Air Creature Move Power
-Life for Mana - SIH TAH LEV PEN - Healing Inverse Move Spirit
-Undead Spawn - IRA TAUR LUK QWAN - Create Creature Evil Power
Llama

Post by Llama »

Silence - PEN KEL TAH QWAN - Spirit Move Invert Power
Alternate suggestion: SHAT DI F*K APP

:)
Avalyon el'Hattarr

-Undead Spawn - IRA TAUR LUK QWAN - Create Creature Evil Power
-Undead Spawn - IRA TAUR LUK QWAN DUN - Create Creature Evil Power Area
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

a lot of ideas in this thread.

they scare me.
because this is a try to make illarion an entyrely magic world.
i envision two score of mages with a handfull of nonmagic slaves...

what a horror!

imho, even in a fantasy world, mages should be scarce, there should not be more than one or two "master"mages of each alignment.
those should be VERY powerfull, and played by very responsible players. not by every joe or his pet.

korm

Ps: i just have to read for instance:
Summon Tree, Call of the wild, Abundence, Summon seeds/plants
and i know, farmers will go on strike.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

The weapons and armor detoriate fast enough even wihtout having to buy new ones after each encounter with a mage.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

The last two posts have nothing to do with this thread.

Having more spells does not mean more mages.

And again, rusting of items is a matter of balance.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Protection spells? The point of mages are to be soft targets. :wink:
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Nalzaxx wrote:The last two posts have nothing to do with this thread.

Having more spells does not mean more mages.

And again, rusting of items is a matter of balance.
My post is extremely relevant to this topic: Shooting down retarted ideas before any time or effort is wasted into scripting them is extremely useful and productive (as the same time can be better spent by doing something else). Don't be so bloody enthusiastic about every single idea that someone spews out.

And besides, having more spells might not mean that there will be much more mages, but the type and strenght of those spells might have a drastic effect on the amount of people other than mages in the game.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

No, the point of the thread is for some new ideas for spells to be voiced, and if the scripters like them, they will implement them, it is not to have a debate about how much stronger magic is than fighting.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

As a offtopic, fighter "magic" is to be implementated soon. So shush about mages beeing uber chars. :wink:
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:No, the point of the thread is for some new ideas for spells to be voiced, and if the scripters like them, they will implement them, it is not to have a debate about how much stronger magic is than fighting.
How they can decide if they like them if only "positive" effects of a spell can be written here? One could even think that you would appriciate some constructive criticism, but alas..
Nalzaxx wrote:Discuss them a little so we can offer Nitram a solid proposal for what we would like implemented.

[..]

Discuss, Brainstorm. Don't Flame. This are SUGGESTIONS not demands.
There you have it. I'm simply pointing out obvious problems which might lead into you not wanting to have that spell implemented at all. Simply chanting "it's all about balance" as your mantra is not the magical solution to everything. :wink:
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:
Druid Magic

Summon Tree

Call of the wild - Temporarely/Permanently creates a spawn point for friendlyanimals

Abundence - Cast on crops, makes them to be ready for harvest faster/instanlty

Summon seeds/plants

Ensnare - Target is binded into place

Nature's Wrath - Target receives dmg that grows with every missing point of life that the druid has.
I love these ideas for druid magic, especially the ensnare, and nature's wrath :D. There should be some healing spells too
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:
Skaalib Drurr wrote:No, the point of the thread is for some new ideas for spells to be voiced, and if the scripters like them, they will implement them, it is not to have a debate about how much stronger magic is than fighting.
How they can decide if they like them if only "positive" effects of a spell can be written here? One could even think that you would appriciate some constructive criticism, but alas..
Nalzaxx wrote:Discuss them a little so we can offer Nitram a solid proposal for what we would like implemented.

[..]

There you have it. I'm simply pointing out obvious problems which might lead into you not wanting to have that spell implemented at all. Simply chanting "it's all about balance" as your mantra is not the magical solution to everything. :wink:
However, you say yourself you are a noob. So i ask, have you ever even fought a mage? If the answer is no, i cannot see how you can even think of posting here, and saying mage already pwn blah blah.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:
Mr. Cromwell wrote:

[..]

However, you say yourself you are a noob. So i ask, have you ever even fought a mage? If the answer is no, i cannot see how you can even think of posting here, and saying mage already pwn blah blah.
Do you disagree with that statement (or the part about "discussing")? Then I have to ask you, that since you seem to also disagree with Silas also, have you fought a mage? Or even a warrior for that matter? :wink:

Sorry, some of us just have the uncanny ability to observe the happenings within the gameworld and draw (the right) conclusions from that. No one is limited to merely their own experiences. ;)

Besides, what got you so fired up? As I am obviously talking from a warriors' (biased, I admit*) standpoint and made a (personal observation based) statement concerning the viability of a spell that is mainly effecting warriors (the equipment-dependant bunch). You shouldn't really have a thing to say about that yet. Nevertheless, let's assume that I'm completely clueless about the strenght of the mages (for the sake of your argument, if for no other reason. ;) )

I'll tell you a little story.
Once upon a time, there was a piggy. The piggy had a brand new sword and he whacked some beasts with it. Less than two days later, the piggy had a rusty sword. So while the piggy could still whack monsters, the sword wasn't that good anymore. Good swords cost money, but luckily the piggy had saved the money he got from the monsters and bought a new one which nearly bankrupted him. Things continued like this for many weeks, until a server update was made. The Piggy was walking in the forest one day after the server update and was ambushed by three mages. The piggy prepared himself for the inevitable death, but much for his amazement merely moments before attacking and slaying him, all the three mages cast rust spell on the poor lone piggy. All the expensive equipment that the piggy had were rendered unusable and after the resurrection piggy sailed away without any money or weapons.

Instead of giving me semi-polite versions of "lolol stfu noob", you should perhaps actually read what I am saying?

*Yeah, I'm biased. Chances are that you are too, but I at least admit it. :wink: :roll:
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

No, I am actually not biased. I play a warrior char and a mage who is only just learning. And what you quoted was very selective quoting. You cannot possibly say that because of what he said earlier, he did not mean what he said later. And I never meant to sound like STFU noob, i meant to say, i don't know where you form those opinions from. And lastly, very nice story, but in rl wouldn't someone who could cast a fireball at you nearly always defeat someone with a sword. And you are forgetting that the mage would know the rust spell befire the pwn all spells, so in reality the mages would cast to ttry to reduce damage done to them, whilst teleporting away. :wink:
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:No, I am actually not biased. I play a warrior char and a mage who is only just learning. And what you quoted was very selective quoting. You cannot possibly say that because of what he said earlier, he did not mean what he said later. And I never meant to sound like STFU noob, i meant to say, i don't know where you form those opinions from. And lastly, very nice story, but in rl wouldn't someone who could cast a fireball at you nearly always defeat someone with a sword. And you are forgetting that the mage would know the rust spell befire the pwn all spells, so in reality the mages would cast to ttry to reduce damage done to them, whilst teleporting away. :wink:

Erm, k in RL a fireballs can kill you, but a sword in your head can kill you too ;)
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Oi! stop the nonsence flaming! Post only spells here...

Some new ideas:

Mirorr shield - Mage to mage combat - The one affected by this, reflects one spell back at the attacker mage.

Swich - 'Excanges' places with the target

Trick Mind - Causes the affected to change his target with anyone close to him. (X targets mage Y; Y casts Trick Mind on X; X changes target to Z).
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:Once upon a time, there was a piggy. The piggy had a brand new sword and he whacked some beasts with it. Less than two days later, the piggy had a rusty sword. So while the piggy could still whack monsters, the sword wasn't that good anymore. Good swords cost money, but luckily the piggy had saved the money he got from the monsters and bought a new one which nearly bankrupted him. Things continued like this for many weeks, until a server update was made. The Piggy was walking in the forest one day after the server update and was ambushed by three mages. The piggy prepared himself for the inevitable death, but much for his amazement merely moments before attacking and slaying him, all the three mages cast rust spell on the poor lone piggy. All the expensive equipment that the piggy had were rendered unusable and after the resurrection piggy sailed away without any money or weapons.
Okay if they're NPCs don't go near the mages. If they're player controlled why would mages, usually honourable people, ambush someone to kill them. In fact what would they gain? Why would they want armour or a sword? There really would be no reason. And the "piggy" can beg, pick up a rubbish sword, ask a friend, fight bare handed for a while.

And should I be left with absolutely nothing I wouldn't give a f*** to be honest because the game's about roleplay and if I don't have a w34p0n and t0n5 of 5killz boo hoo I never use em anyway; I'm too busy ROLEPLAYING. (Or nowadays it seems like I LOOK for people to roleplay...)
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Skaalib Durr wrote:And lastly, very nice story, but in rl wouldn't someone who could cast a fireball at you nearly always defeat someone with a sword.
No. That is simply too sweeping generalisation. It would depend on the skills, experience, luck, positioning, attributes, equipment and external factors (weather, terrain.. ect) which simply cause too many possible variations to jump into general conclusions about the outcome.

Besides, in the real life a fireball could possibly be less lethal to suitably armored individual (FI. Good heat insulation and resistance to fire - Something like wearing a thick leather armor under chainmail + large shield) than a sword.
And you are forgetting that the mage would know the rust spell befire the pwn all spells, so in reality the mages would cast to ttry to reduce damage done to them, whilst teleporting away.
Why wouldn't a "pwn all" mage be interested in reducing damage done to him, especially if the opponent was already close? I'm assuming that even the daftest of mages acts under somesort of rational self-interest when it comes to being in pain.

Even if the mage was a beginner:
1.) Would the rust spell only effect weapons (logic?!?)?
2.) If it would effect all equipment and it hit your helmet instead, it would have no effect on the damage caused by the swordsman, right?
3.) Thus most likely he would have to use the spell several times to get the desired result.
4.) Thus it's likely that many items would be rusted.
This is against a noob mage?
AlexRose12345678910 wrote: Okay if they're NPCs don't go near the mages. If they're player controlled why would mages, usually honourable people, ambush someone to kill them.
I'm assuming player controlled here.
Why not? After all, it's a ROLEPLAYING GAME. Perhaps the mages have a ROLEPLAYING REASON to do that? Not all mages are "honorable people" after all, or maybe they even think they are doing something honorable? Maybe there is a mistaken identity? Maybe they think he's a demon disguised as a piggy. Just play along with the story as it's simply a theoretical sitiuation.
In fact what would they gain? Why would they want armour or a sword? There really would be no reason. And the "piggy" can beg, pick up a rubbish sword, ask a friend, fight bare handed for a while.
You don't really understand what my point is, do you? It's not about them wanting to have the equipment it's about utilizing mechanincal means to ensure easy victory or alternatively simply to grief and piss people off. I've played plenty of games to be very pessimistic about the players of any game, including this one. If you still have doubts about what I am talking about, I refer you here:
The abuse of Teleport Spell
Even when you have a nice idea, there will always be the idiot player abusing it.
And should I be left with absolutely nothing I wouldn't give a f*** to be honest because the game's about roleplay and if I don't have a w34p0n and t0n5 of 5killz boo hoo I never use em anyway; I'm too busy ROLEPLAYING. (Or nowadays it seems like I LOOK for people to roleplay...)
It's just a fact of the game that to be succesful mage/warrior/smith whatever, you need items/skills/abilities/whatever to do that in this game. Otherwise we could save the coders from a lot of work and simply ROLEPLAY every sitiuation and let our avatars run naked in the world. If this is such hardcore badass ROLEPLAYING community, why does this topic even exist? Surely you don't need this stuff, as everybody could just ROLEPLAY it.. right?

I mean, we could of course. However that would be kind of lame would not really work.*

Let's talk again when you have stopped the raving and foaming. Obviously this is a very personal subject for some people.

*If you want me to explain why, feel free to ask. I'll gladly do it.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Please. Shut. Up.

This is not the purpose of this thread. Therefore this is not the place to discuss such things.

When I refer to discuss, I refer to the spells themselves, and their runic combinations.

Go bitch somewhere else.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Nalzaxx wrote:Please. Shut. Up.

This is not the purpose of this thread. Therefore this is not the place to discuss such things.

When I refer to discuss, I refer to the spells themselves, and their runic combinations.

Go bitch somewhere else.
Okay. The last line was a bit unnecessary though as I'm only being rational here, you don't have to be an asshole you know.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Mending..-.. a spell used by warriors to make them great! causes healing over time!!!!!!

Wammos FTW
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

i really don't know why a mage needs defensive spells, they can teleport themselves away, or just stand and heal themselves when being attacked, and most warriors don't do as much damage very quickly.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Nalzaxx wrote:Please. Shut. Up.

Go bitch somewhere else.

Well I got to disagree here, first on what he has been stating was logic and written in a polite way. The only thing he wishes is that characters dont become mage's tools (like if we had implemented the spells you guys suggested) and he explains why certain of these spells shoulnt be put in (which IS part of the subject of this topic). And it is true, some of the spells suggested are completely unfair (we arent playing a game only about magic).
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

No...this page is about suggesting certain spells. Their effects and their rune combinations.

Nitram then comes along. And implements whatever the hell he wants.

I.E.

We go. Blah blah blah blah.

Nitram goes. Hmm shit shit shit, implement that one, shit shit shit.

Only a moron can't see the downsides of these spells. Luckily, Nitram is not a moron.

Its about suggesting what could be implemented. Not telling Nitram, you must implement this this and this but not this.

Get me?

If the time comes when he implements something that turns sour. THEN we say. This doesn't work too well, it needs to be changed/rebalanced.

Its not a hard concept.

So please. No more Discussion on what is and what is not a good idea.

Only spell ideas.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

... Your want to see one side of a discussion only? Come on now, you are putting worth spell ideas, and some of us are showing why they are unnessasary. You cannot have a discussion of any sort if you only want to hear your side of the discussion.

I mean, I plan on making, well I plan on training my mage relatively soon. ANd I still don't see why a mage will need spells for melee combat? Explain why a mage needs spells that will shield him from melee combat when a mage can already heal himself/herself and or teleport away and cast spells, as well as there already being a paralisis spell.

if you can explain why it is nessasary for more spells, instead of bluntly stating your idea, perhaps more people will be swayed to see your arguement and not just grow frustrated with you?
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Nalzaxx wrote:Only a moron can't see the downsides of these spells. Luckily, Nitram is not a moron.
You mean a player who doesnt want to be a mage, and gets owned by any noob mage on the isle already? :)
swish1

Post by swish1 »

You guys think it is too easy.
First of all you have to get graphics.
Then apply them.
Make sure they work with all like mummies skeletons and other players.
Then you have to develop a skill. And, then link back to when you die lose skill script. Then change your health and make sure that damage is lessened. You also have to make sure that a higher skill will result in less damage. And most importantly... have to program for them to work with slashing, other spells etc. So, its not really easy. And the above I dont really program well, but I know the basics so I assumed the above.
We have other things going on right now.
But, I agree with the general idea.