Shielding/Protection Spells Brainstorm

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

What about a Polymorph spell? You cast in on someone and for X seconds/minutes he is transformed into something (rabbit, pig, sheep, etc) without posibility to do any action.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:What about a Polymorph spell? You cast in on someone and for X seconds/minutes he is transformed into something (rabbit, pig, sheep, etc) without posibility to do any action.

What about we give warriors a chance agaisnt a mage..
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Fell free to start a suggestion topic for fighters ;)
I have some.. start it an i'll post. ;)
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:Fell free to start a suggestion topic for fighters ;)
I have some.. start it an i'll post. ;)
Hmm? I meant that making characters unable to fight back with a spell shoulnt be possible for obvious reasons, I didnt say I want to suggest anything.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Arameh wrote:What about we give warriors a chance agaisnt a mage..
What's the fun in that?

Though I agree, a polymorph would be a LITTLE bit too high, unless thesubject is willing, perhaps to enter town illegally or something...
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

We have Nargun chaos priests to do that...

Mages should be good after time, indeed, but they shouldn't pwn a band of 10 or more rather good warriors.

All I got to say, I can't think of any spells right now.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:We have Nargun chaos priests to do that...

Mages should be good after time, indeed, but they shouldn't pwn a band of 10 or more rather good warriors.

All I got to say, I can't think of any spells right now.
But it's OK if the just own 9? :roll: :wink:
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Considering how hard it is for a mage to learn and become "more than avarage", he should be allowed to be stronger than a band of worriors. Mages should be defeated only by other mages or by exceptionary fighters.
It's just too damn hard to become a good mage and beeing pwned by medium fighters it's not satisfactory at all.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:Considering how hard it is for a mage to learn and become "more than avarage", he should be allowed to be stronger than a band of worriors. Mages should be defeated only by other mages or by exceptionary fighters.
It's just too damn hard to become a good mage and beeing pwned by medium fighters it's not satisfactory at all.
I agree
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:Considering how hard it is for a mage to learn and become "more than avarage", he should be allowed to be stronger than a band of worriors. Mages should be defeated only by other mages or by exceptionary fighters.
Well? Who are you going to give these spells to, then?

It should be dependant on the sitiuation. If the mage is incompetent enough to let a warrior get to the swinging distance..

Besides, if a mage will always own a warrior that is not exceptional (who qualifies as an exceptional warrior anyways?) any and all fights will become extremely boring indeed.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

These spells are not to be "given" .. they are only new rune combinations. So any mage who has the right runes, would be able to cast those spells.

And you think that its not boring for mages to work their ass off for months and months trough RP and training and then be owned by a mere fighter? I'm not saying that fighter don't rp... i know lots of them with wonderful rp.. But the curent situation is that a medium mage has the chance to be owned by a newb fighter. Common man, this is crazy... Mages should have to power to shape the world, not to be killed by a "who-do-i-pk-now-person"
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:But the curent situation is that a medium mage has the chance to be owned by a newb fighter. Common man, this is crazy... Mages should have to power to shape the world, not to be killed by a "who-do-i-pk-now-person"
And what's the alternative? I resent your notion of a "medium mage" being able to lull himself into a premeditated feeling of sure victory against a "newbie fighter". I do understand that he should be much more likely to win, but that's by far not the same as should win. The thing what should determine the outcome is what happens in the actual combat itself and the fine diffrences between the combatants (positioning of the combatants during the combat, the actual fighting abilities of the characters and the players, the weapons/spells used, attributes.. They all should be taken into account there) Not just if someone is a "medium mage" and someone a "newbie warrior".. And it works vice versa just as well.

You already have the power to shape the world (teleport, telekinesis..) but I'm assuming you imagine that the Illarion mages should be somekind undefeatable demi-gods. I guess we just have to agree to disagree there.
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

About the polymorph spell, I think there already is why. A GM goblin cast it on Rankor, he turned into a pig, I believe PO William ( Farafa ) PO Aurora and PO Maggie remembers ;)
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

And Ara was turned into an orc.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Mages are mortal just like everyone else. A chop with an axe or a stab with a dagger should kill all, magic user or not.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Indeed! But to get the chance to do that is what matters ;)
Btw, this is not the magic discussion thread ;)
Write here only if you have ideas of spells :D
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Dónal Mason wrote:Mages are mortal just like everyone else. A chop with an axe or a stab with a dagger should kill all, magic user or not.

I agree,

and about the part of "A good mage should be able to defeat a band of medium warriors" its clear that you dont know the fighting system. Someone with maxed skill barely have more attack than someone with half skill in fighting, so these 2 shoulnt have a good difference agaisnt a mage. If we put a 'Be invincible for 5 second' or 'be invisible and pwn the warrior once you cast while he's not aware' or 'transform him into a rabbit so he cant react while he's getting killed' spells, then it leaves warriors even less chances than their already very low ones, its a thing to be thought about.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Actually i can paralyse every fighter, then he can do than nothing, not even run away (wat he could do if he would be only transformed). So what did you agitate about? You fear that the mages have become a spell becouse you mean it is to mighty and ignore that there is a spell ig witch is even mightier.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Djironnyma wrote:Actually i can paralyse every fighter, then he can do than nothing, not even run away (wat he could do if he would be only transformed). So what did you agitate about? You fear that the mages have become a spell becouse you mean it is to mighty and ignore that there is a spell ig witch is even mightier.

Paralize, tell me, how many seconds?
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

*ahem*

Only for discussion of new spells that could be added!

This is NOT the place to discuss balance.

So PLEASE PLEASE respect that.

If and When these news spells are introduce, ((Please please please)) THEN we can discuss how they should be balanced.

New Spell Ideas:

- Polymorph Other - Turns the target into a random friendly animal. (Rabit/Pig)
- Polymorph Self - Turns caster into a random aggressive animal (Ogre, Troll, Gives appropriate stats and skills for limited time.

Rune Combinations:

-Polymorph Other - URA TAUR ANTH QWAN - Natural Creature Object Power
-Polymorph Self - URA TAUR LUK ANTH QWAN - Natural Creature Aggresive Object Power
Avalyon el'Hattarr

These spells would be best for druid magic
Thorvald

Post by Thorvald »

Really nifty ideas you had there. :-)

I just fear, that they are not implementable in this shape; because there is a new magic system in work.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Silas Farron wrote:
Paralize, tell me, how many seconds?
Long enough.
I can paralyze a fighter for some seconds with a spell that does only SECONDARY paralyze... And some seconds are enough ;)

What is "secondary paralyse"? :?
Avalyon el'Hattarr

You're speaking of JusPhercQwan?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Silas Farron wrote:Errrm... how will that work? o.0
Different. Handling is basically the same. But the content is different.
Silas Farron wrote:And why willthe momentary one be replaced??
Because its just bad. Just some spells thrown in the game. And nothing around.

Nitram
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Djironnyma wrote:Actually i can paralyse every fighter, then he can do than nothing, not even run away (wat he could do if he would be only transformed). So what did you agitate about? You fear that the mages have become a spell becouse you mean it is to mighty and ignore that there is a spell ig witch is even mightier.
Why the desire for even more goodies, then?
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

To extent the variety and colour of magic, to introduce new and deeper tactics, to open up more opportunities for mystical and magical RP and arcane research.

I want to extend mages into actual mages, not just chumps who can throw fireballs. Its not about power or ability to pwn, its about the whole world that becomes so much more immersive with new spells such as these.
Laviath Rathor

Post by Laviath Rathor »

Laviath Rathor wrote:How about some kinds of walls, existing of elements? For example a "Firewall", which holds back Monsters / sets them on fire (damage similar to poison -> f.e. 1% of the health every five seconds or so) if they try to go through or a "Icewall" which freezes an enemy for some seconds, if he touches it. Or what about the power to raise up some hills out of the earth, which makes an enemy slower, while he is walking through (maybe a 5x5 field spell or something). And I think a "poison-when-touch-plant-wall" would be cool too. :lol:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:Those exist as far as I know..

Or the illusions of them exist...
I asked Silas and they don't. there are similar things but not things with the effect I discribed
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Nalzaxx wrote:To extent the variety and colour of magic, to introduce new and deeper tactics, to open up more opportunities for mystical and magical RP and arcane research.

I want to extend mages into actual mages, not just chumps who can throw fireballs. Its not about power or ability to pwn, its about the whole world that becomes so much more immersive with new spells such as these.
So you don't share the view that mages should own everything short of a band of ten exceptional fighters (or something like that :roll: )?
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

I think a mage should be able to defeat a hundred poorly organised and moronic soldiers, yet shouldn't be able to stand up against a pair of well organised and tactful warriors.

I dont think mages should be made uber, I think that the rescources they have at their fingertips should be extensive enough to allow for a greater range of tactics.