Unsealed door

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Ok, I know Dusty was being a bad panda, by laughing and taunting the demon, but he had a good reason to at that point.

He was one of the first characters on the scene just after the "screams" were heard. Always willing to help he ran into mummies and they kept coming. From that point he kept shooting his arrows. From quest beginning to end, he used up a total of 677 Arrows. I know, I made every one of them.

He did go inside Trollsbane three times when asked, but when he saw no-one else did, he ran out to help. I mean come-on, until the end battle with the demon, he was the only one with a bow and he thought he could help from a distance. Doesn't anyone else use arrows?

Once he saw the Mages and priest were concentrating on containing the demon, his little mischievous mind thought that if he could distract the demon with his taunts and his arrows, then the mages could complete their task. After all, no-one else could get in there to 'hack' it with a sword. It seemed logical to him at the time. When the PO Demon suggested I should be scared, It was hard to explain this fact: I'm not saying he wasn't scared shitless, but come-on, it's Dusty. He's used to doing business with Liches, Mad Orcs, Red skeletons, Mummies, Thieves and murderers. A demon is just another day for him. A normal Halfling would have been scared, but like I said, Dusty's a little used to these things by now. (Blame the Hellbriar 'Quest', which I still disagree with).

So, it may appear that I RP'd Dusty poorly, but it seemed logical at the time.

It was fun though!!!
Thanks!!!
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

It's all well and good to say, "Your characters should be terrified of demons," but what happens if everyone actually plays them like that? The 'run away from the demon until it goes home' quest wouldn't be very fun, would it?

I think a good way to inspire some fear, without being unfair, is to advance towards a group of characters, give them a chance to run away, and if they don't, every bit of violence from then on is fine.

Note: My character wasn't in the area, he had no reason to believe a demon wouldn't eat him alive.
Poots

Post by Poots »

Juniper Onyx wrote:Ok, I know Dusty was being a bad panda, by laughing and taunting the demon, but he had a good reason to at that point.

He was one of the first characters on the scene just after the "screams" were heard. Always willing to help he ran into mummies and they kept coming. From that point he kept shooting his arrows. From quest beginning to end, he used up a total of 677 Arrows. I know, I made every one of them.

He did go inside Trollsbane three times when asked, but when he saw no-one else did, he ran out to help. I mean come-on, until the end battle with the demon, he was the only one with a bow and he thought he could help from a distance. Doesn't anyone else use arrows?

Once he saw the Mages and priest were concentrating on containing the demon, his little mischievous mind thought that if he could distract the demon with his taunts and his arrows, then the mages could complete their task. After all, no-one else could get in there to 'hack' it with a sword. It seemed logical to him at the time. When the PO Demon suggested I should be scared, It was hard to explain this fact: I'm not saying he wasn't scared shitless, but come-on, it's Dusty. He's used to doing business with Liches, Mad Orcs, Red skeletons, Mummies, Thieves and murderers. A demon is just another day for him. A normal Halfling would have been scared, but like I said, Dusty's a little used to these things by now. (Blame the Hellbriar 'Quest', which I still disagree with).

So, it may appear that I RP'd Dusty poorly, but it seemed logical at the time.

It was fun though!!!
Thanks!!!
Maybe it's just me, but doesn't Dusty sound like some kind of super hero?
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Duuuuuusty Bottoooooooms
Asesino

Post by Asesino »

i have to say: Duchan was scared as hell especially because the demon brought back some memories, during the quest he was quiet and kept his eyes closed, but afterwards he was smiled up and had some serious problems coping with this experience. he was lucky reaching his destination and lucky again, that na-chaya was there to help him...

so... it's all about RP. even if they are heroes... it is a demon... so yeah, they should be at least a bit scared.

what annoyed me most, were the people who were talking semi-OOC about the quest being a goo training and stuff... during the quest... i enjoyed the quest, but the rp was not as good as it could have been
Poots

Post by Poots »

I meant with his personality and his abilities.
Amras of Elves

Post by Amras of Elves »

Nitram wrote:
Miklorius wrote:(or at least wound them, like Poots said).
There were Characters with less then 2/10 of the hitpoints. They still stand strong. How to avoid clouding them, if they don't play that heavy wounds?

If we cloud characters (happens too, of cause, but we allways try to avoid that), the players mostly don't think that this is too funny.
Maybe you could have the demon get weak mage abilities, but be able to spam like mad. To scare the weaklings he "Throws a ball of fire at the laughing person, but his rage causes him to go off-target." I think that would still scare them to hell and back again. If not, and they continue, spam on 'em till they give, but then they might as well have just earned his entire anger and can die for it :P.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Hmmm....Super Dusty!!!!

I like it!!!

Seriously, Dusty has been through more than a halfling should, and being a merchant, he has gradually built up his skills to process all the stuff he buys from players. He don't powergame, just busy.

As for reacting to the demon, when the demon pointed at dusty or cleched his fist, Dusty ran around like a rabbit to keep from getting hit.
So I was reacting to the RP.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

What was that thing that came at the end? I was thinking next time you could have another stronger player monster next time, because that thing got killed in about 2 seconds.
Thorvald

Post by Thorvald »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:What was that thing that came at the end?
It was a lesser demon.

Also, I was very suprised that even though we had 57 players ingame at one point, a lot of fights, graphic effects, sound effects and foggy/snowy weather, the server did not freeze or crash a single time during the quest.

... only short after.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

It was a great quest. I liked the athmosphere of tension that each next wave might be something too strong to defeat. Knowing that town walls don't really pose an obstacle to a demon was the main reason for Adano trying to close the gate by himself while everyone else was retreating.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Okay first of all I must say that i was a little disapointed of how the quest went.. No need to say the things that were allready said. :)
Now for the thanks:
-> Thank you Thorvald and Markous for making this possible. I love you both :D Sorry that i couldn't give 100% of my RP with the demon. I sucked, i know...
-> Thank you Rowen, you have an amasing RP ;)
-> And last but not least, thank you to all the other people that attended.

It has been fun for me... :D
Last edited by Avalyon el'Hattarr on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thurbert~

Post by Thurbert~ »

I was proud with the RP of my dwarf and the other dwarves:

"Let em run to their doom, that's not our mug of beer" :wink:
WickedEwok

Post by WickedEwok »

That's what I just wanted to say

Atleast Piggie Thurbert came home
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

I repeat myself: I liked the weather (heavy storm), too. I am looking forward for weather sounds and lightning.
And I was lucky that the server was stable (besides some lags), on the last day it went down very often.

To the "weak demon":
If there were really some people with only very low health and they did not change their RP, I would kill them. Sorry...

If they do not feel that some monsters are dangerous, they will go into the crypt, get pwned and then complaining about the unfair monsters ("I slayed tons of skeletons and a demon and now some mummies kill me?!").

PS: My "highlight" quotes I heard yesterday:
- [Go back into town!] - "But there's good loot!"
- "(...) kannst mich kurz heilen?" [= mmh, don't know a fitting translation, but think of something like "please heal me ASAP"]
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Ahh, yes I remember who said "But there's good loot"

I'll give you three guesses, but you'll only need one.
#me grins
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

I was only injured to about half health and I rp'ed it as adrenaline keeping me going. Is that acceptable?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Sure it is, in my mind atleast.
When it comes to it people will fight till their last breath.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:Sure it is, in my mind atleast.
Even when in horrible pains, with their limbs cut off and liters of blood gushing out of deep wounds? Some maybe, but that's probably the exception rather than the rule.

:roll:
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

I have an idea!

How about, playing YOUR character like YOU want.

And letting other people do the same?

How is that for radicalism.
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:
Even when in horrible pains, with their limbs cut off and liters of blood gushing out of deep wounds? Some maybe, but that's probably the exception rather than the rule.

Monty Python's black knight..
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

nmaguire wrote:
Mr. Cromwell wrote:

Monty Python's black knight..
Come back here and fight like a man ya yellow coward!
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Call it a draw?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:

Skaalib Drurr wrote:I was only injured to about half health and I rp'ed it as adrenaline keeping me going. Is that acceptable?
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Warning: Do not do this at home. When you see a demon, run like hell.
No actual n00bs were hurt during this production.

N00b1 and n00b2 are walking near the lake, when they see a big demon fighting some mages.

<n00b1> OMG it's a demon!!!
<n00b2> No biggie, i see those all the time... In fact i have 2 at home. One is cooking and one is washing my dishes.
<n00b1> I'll slay you demon!!!!

N00b1 is running to the demon while n00b2 points at the creature laughing.
N00b1 walks trough the wall of flame which is containing the demon and faces him.

<Demon> I am imortal! Your weapons can not hurt me!
<n00b1> Fear me demon cos' i whield the Uber-Magical-Extra-Powerful-Multiple-Function-Plastic-Fork !!!!!!

N00b1 pokes the demon in the buttcheak with the fork. The demon swings his claws at the n00b doing almost fatal wounds.
The n00b gets up like nothing happened.

<n00b1> I shall defeat you this time demon!! i shall use my uber-powerful-magical-slingshot that shoots uber-magical-...erm...-thingys!!!

The demon looks at the n00b with a bored gaze and steps back trough the portal, shutting it forever."This ain't no fun"

Late that day in he deapths of hell:

<demon1> Hi Jim!
<demon> Hi Earl!
<demon1> So how was your invasion of the above-world?

Demon shakes his head

<demon> Crazy mortals.. They're all on sibanac.

:P :P :P
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Your friendly neighbourhood halfling: Hey demon, want a sausage?
Demon: No thanks I'm full on the last noob I ate
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling shrugs
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling: More for me. Hey wanna sign a peace treaty giving you my full protection and a chunk of my land
Demon: Sure, where do I sign up?
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling: I'll have to get my red skelton lich friend to sign aswell. Will that be a problem?
Demon: Shouldn't think so
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling: Ok sign here then
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling and demon sign treaty. Photographers arrive and take pictures.
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling: Sure you don't want that sausage?
Demon: No really, I'm fine. You know I think demons are misunderstood. Apart from the noobkillings and all, we're not that bad.....
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling and demon walk into distance hand in hand
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote: <demon1> Hi Jim!
<demon> Hi Earl!
You didn't finish it off.

<demon1> I like them! They let me do the cooking and washing up!
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Skaalib Drurr wrote:Your friendly neighbourhood halfling: Hey demon, want a sausage?
Demon: No thanks I'm full on the last noob I ate
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling shrugs
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling: More for me. Hey wanna sign a peace treaty giving you my full protection and a chunk of my land
Demon: Sure, where do I sign up?
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling: I'll have to get my red skelton lich friend to sign aswell. Will that be a problem?
Demon: Shouldn't think so
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling: Ok sign here then
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling and demon sign treaty. Photographers arrive and take pictures.
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling: Sure you don't want that sausage?
Demon: No really, I'm fine. You know I think demons are misunderstood. Apart from the noobkillings and all, we're not that bad.....
Your friendly neighbourhood halfling and demon walk into distance hand in hand
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

Oh my God!!! I love it. You got Dusty down!!!

I think I hurt myself laughing about this one!!!

Good job Skaalib!!! LOL!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Juniper Onyx on Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asesino

Post by Asesino »

AlexRose12345678910 wrote:
Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote: <demon1> Hi Jim!
<demon> Hi Earl!
You didn't finish it off.

<demon1> I like them! They let me do the cooking and washing up!
the bit of ava was great but that little bti made it brilliant let's give them the price for the best Quest-criticism