Unsealed door

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

There is a difference between Damien using a spell out of no where clouding random people

And a bunch of demon skeletons being summoned and chasing heros off

There is a reason Dravish was never attacked alone
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

I think you shouldn't even have to feel that way Thorvald. I seriously wonder about anyone who'd stand before a demon laughing. Whether they have thought out their char's well enough. I mean, only very few people would even dare stand up to such things, let alone laugh at them.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Yeah, I mean, Stephen took a step back when the demon addressed him saying he wanted his soul, and then roaring basically made stephen pee his pants, he only attacked when Arameh got attacked by the demon. You shouldnt be saying the demon is nothing, you shouldnt be saying the demon's threats are idle. It is a demon. Just think about what a Demon is for a moment.

Damien has said that a Lich alone should scare alot of people. I assume a Demon is even worse.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

I was there at the beginning and at the fair-like endfight against the demon. It was quite cool, with all the weather.

But it was said here: There was not much RP fitting the situation!

And I only saw ONE Ghost (and that was before the Demon appeared) during the whole situation (I missed the middle part with the confusion what to do and the dying looters :)).

So, I know that such a quest should reach many players, but partying around a demon and singing "no danger at all" is not okay, IMO...

If such things happen, there should be death to careless characters to kind of force fear and prudence.
Last edited by Miklorius on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

The problem is fear has to be 'forced', as you probably just noticed, characters will not be scared of a demon if they know it cannot really harm them. If I take the example of the best quest I have been into, the lich war, trust me the characters had much more fear than today. The characters had to get refuge in the Grey Rose since Trollsbane was swarming with undeads, and was actually dangerous for real, the characters DID fear to go in town.

I compare it to recent quests containing battles, the attacks are easily fend off by the players, of course there is less clouding..but it is like playing a game which is too easy. If some characters can be laughing and talking into a 'battle', then it is not really a battle to me, those that cannot fight should not even be there, they should be running in fear to somewhere safe.

If in this event as example, more dangerous enemys would have been sent and some people would have gotten clouded, I see no reason why they should have complained. This game is about maturity..if your characters stands there looking at a demon who spawns undeads, while this character cannot defend him/herself, do not cry if you get clouded, it is very RP logical that it can happen. Its simple, if you cant stand getting clouded, dont go in dangerous situations, you still have the choice.

Just my opinion about it
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

But even the most faint hearted must find it ironic that there is a huge demon being controlled by 3 mages and a priest, and all it can do is send mummies, that anyone can fight.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

arameh hit the head on the nail.
Poots

Post by Poots »

And now they're dead.

Fear is something that alot of people simply don't have. I think, if no one was afraid (I wasn't at the quest :cry: ) someone should have made them afraid. why not just zap a crafter or two who were just standing around?
Thorvald

Post by Thorvald »

Arameh wrote:
I compare it to recent quests containing battles, the attacks are easily fend off by the players, of course there is less clouding..but it is like playing a game which is too easy. If some characters can be laughing and talking into a 'battle', then it is not really a battle to me, those that cannot fight should not even be there, they should be running in fear to somewhere safe.
But the Quest isn't only for those you have skills like you, Arameh. There are also enough players around who have average skills in fighting and maybe want to stand more than a few seconds in a fight.

Also, I think, just because you don't get clouded, doesn't mean you don't get wounded. Just because you drink healing potions, doesn't mean that the weapon of your enemy didn't cut you though.
Ever thought of it that your char still has to move in heavy armour and still catches hard blows with it and gets exhausted, even though your health bar doesn't move.

I was very suprised by Maggie today. When a ghostly being started to close and open doors to scare people, Maggie immediately left the place. Because Maggie had once experienced something bad in the days of Mas. She wasn't like: "Oh, I've experienced worse and this doesn't scare me"
She was like: "Oh, it's the days of Mas and I have bad experience with it. This COULD get dangerous."

It could have gotten dangerous. I don't think a demon is something to laugh about. I think it would have been more fitting if some chars wouldn't have laughed *during* the quest, but maybe *afterwards* when there was actually a reason to laugh, if it all was that weak. IMO.
Poots

Post by Poots »

Then zap someone with a weak zapper so they live, but get hurt.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Thorvald wrote:
Arameh wrote:
But the Quest isn't only for those you have skills like you, Arameh. There are also enough players around who have average skills in fighting and maybe want to stand more than a few seconds in a fight.

Also, I think, just because you don't get clouded, doesn't mean you don't get wounded. Just because you drink healing potions, doesn't mean that the weapon of your enemy didn't cut you though.
Ever thought of it that your char still has to move in heavy armour and still catches hard blows with it and gets exhausted, even though your health bar doesn't move.

I was very suprised by Maggie today. When a ghostly being started to close and open doors to scare people, Maggie immediately left the place. Because Maggie had once experienced something bad in the days of Mas. She wasn't like: "Oh, I've experienced worse and this doesn't scare me"
She was like: "Oh, it's the days of Mas and I have bad experience with it. This COULD get dangerous."

It could have gotten dangerous. I don't think a demon is something to laugh about. I think it would have been more fitting if some chars wouldn't have laughed *during* the quest, but maybe *afterwards* when there was actually a reason to laugh, if it all was that weak. IMO.
Why did you only answer to 1/3 of my post?

I believe you are asking for everyone to change each of their individual RP there, and it is not possible.

Edit : Dont get me wrong..I am not complaining or whining, I actually am happy that quests are starting to go on again, I just am giving my point of view about it.
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

Garett Gwenour wrote:Yeah, I mean, Stephen took a step back when the demon addressed him saying he wanted his soul, and then roaring basically made stephen pee his pants, he only attacked when Arameh got attacked by the demon. You shouldnt be saying the demon is nothing, you shouldnt be saying the demon's threats are idle. It is a demon. Just think about what a Demon is for a moment.

Damien has said that a Lich alone should scare alot of people. I assume a Demon is even worse.
Pfft, like that will ever happen.
:roll:
Thorvald

Post by Thorvald »

I believe you are asking for everyone to change each of their individual RP there, and it is not possible.

Edit : Dont get me wrong..I am not complaining or whining, I actually am happy that quests are starting to go on again, I just am giving my point of view about it.
no no. I'm just giving my point of view of the quest as well and what I observed and my opinion about it.
As well as I like to read yours, so I can adjust my quest behavior to it. After all I'm here to make *you* enjoy the game.

I fear I will never got used to hack'n'slay though. ;)
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

I'll steal your trowel and then they're really have something to fear.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

People arent afraid of liches because they stop by in town every few days, or perhaps like to attend various fighting tournaments.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

LOL :P

Yes alright, I get it, the fighting tournament was a mistake.

Won't happen again.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Fooser wrote:People arent afraid of liches because they stop by in town every few days, or perhaps like to attend various fighting tournaments.
LOL! Indeed... Nalzaxx pwned :P.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

<3 :wink:

Also, I think there is a point where "realistic behavior" ends and "game" begins. Otherwise, think about it, everyone sees any undead, then a demon, we would all run away to a remote part of the map screaming for mercy. Then what is left is a demon with some undead spawns...event over?
Poots

Post by Poots »

Demon locks the doors and enjoys Troll's Bane.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Poots wrote:Demon locks the doors and enjoys Troll's Bane.
And everyone is too afraid to take it back. Island = screwed?
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

No, the island will be fine. Its just the noobs that spawn in TB who are skrewed.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

It's like in "normal" Pen&Paper-RPGs: The Players resp. their characters are no normal people who would be indeed frightened of undeads etc., they are heroes (except you decide to play a non-hero).

You could kick mummies' and skeletons' arses, but when some higher/rarer monsters come around, there should be more "correct" RP. And if it lacks: Kill the faithless :) (or at least wound them, like Poots said).
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Nalzaxx wrote:No, the island will be fine. Its just the noobs that spawn in TB who are skrewed.
No way, if the PKing n00bs would gather in a group they could kick the Demon's ass out of town.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Miklorius wrote:(or at least wound them, like Poots said).
There were Characters with less then 2/10 of the hitpoints. They still stand strong. How to avoid clouding them, if they don't play that heavy wounds?

If we cloud characters (happens too, of cause, but we allways try to avoid that), the players mostly don't think that this is too funny.
Poots

Post by Poots »

Cloud them. Then they will learn, that when a Demon is attacking you, you run. Simple.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Poots wrote:Cloud them. Then they will learn, that when a Demon is attacking you, you run. Simple.
But won't this make all future appearances of said demon a bit boring? I mean, if everyone simply runs away.. :wink:
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Mr. Cromwell wrote:But won't this make all future appearances of said demon a bit boring? I mean, if everyone simply runs away.. :wink:
No problem. We just make the demon running faster then the players ;)
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

What if the people all run into different directions? :roll: :wink:
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

No need to be everyone running away, from a demon, at least everyone that cant defend.
Hu'greu

Post by Hu'greu »

I dont know but I think I was the only one rp a wound from the demon. liles had to save me too :(