Two Suggestions: Quarterstaff AND Spell Resistance

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Two Suggestions: Quarterstaff AND Spell Resistance

Post by Llama »

Two Suggestions: Spell Resistance AND Quarterstaff

Suggestion for Spell Resistance

Firstly, the Mana bar should be present and increase for all characters.

In my opinion, the only way in order to resist a spell would be in order to oppose the Mana attacking you, with your own mana. When a unit resists a spell, his Mana level should go down accordingly.

The amount of Mana required in order to dispell an enemy's spell upon him/her should depend on the strenght of the enemy spell, and also on the spell resistance skill. A person with a high spell resistance skill would have learnt to channel his/her Mana efficiently, therebye using very little mana to oppose the attack, while a person with a low skill would need tons of mana to oppose the attackign spell.

This would also mean that there would be a limit to the amount of spells you could resist for that moment, since your mana needs to increase as well.

(The following word is dedicated to Hermie:) Discuss

=

Quarterstaff

Basically its a weapon, which looks like a normal staff except that it is grabbed with two hands from the middle, and you fight with both sides, neither of which have a head or anything except for wood.

Picture not very good :(

It should do light damage but be rather fast.

I'm seeing it as a type of Monk weapon, and for those who want to fight using "simple" weapons, since a staff with a large head on it wouldn't be attractive to them.

=
swish1

Re: Two Suggestions: Quarterstaff AND Spell Resistance

Post by swish1 »

Hadrian_Abela wrote: Basically its a weapon, which looks like a normal staff except that it is grabbed with two hands from the middle, and you fight with both sides, neither of which have a head or anything except for wood.
I am not sure they had this type of weapon in ther middle ages. I dont think it'hd fit in.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

why not? it's only a stick :P
swish1

Post by swish1 »

Avalyon el'Hattarr wrote:why not? it's only a stick :P
ya but he says you hold it in the middle. Wat is this taekwando?
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

I'm pretty sure they'd have made the amazing discovery of a stick, swish.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

this type of weapon was and it's still used by the chinese and japonese in their martial arts. Martial arts were invented at the beggining of mid-ages :wink:
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Um...we have a good sortiment of staffs, guys. That quarterstaff would be like the elven-magestaff. a very powerfull weapon.,
Avalyon el'Hattarr

i can't imagine a mage using martial arts.. so this would be useless
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

I could imagine them using it for defence purposes, however. Such weapons are actually quite good for stopping blows.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

but wouldn't they rather cast a spell than loose time with a stick?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Erm, the quarterstaff is used instead of an unarmed weapon, used a lot by monks since its very simple to make.

Go see robin hood, friar tuck

I want the quarterstaff so that monk characters or those who fight plainly can have it, as opposed to having a large staff with a head which wouldn't look good on them...
Samantha Meryadeles

Use a battlestaff or elven-magestaff and rp it as a quarterstaff. there is no need to make an new item for something we already have.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

swish1 wrote:
Just for the record, Taekwando is a Korean martial art that (if I remember correctly) roughly means 'The way of the fist and kick' but that's not important, the fact that it is a weaponless martial art is. So no, it's not Taekwando.
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

I for one think this is a good idea.
Garen

Post by Garen »

yeah, i think a quarter staff would be good too, their fast light and pretty durable(i speak out of experiance of getting my butt kicked by them :D )
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

swish1 wrote:
I don’t believe Taekwando involves a staff and actually monk fighting is suppose to be something of a martial art.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Taekwondo only envolves fists and foot hits. No weapons whatsoever.
A quarterstaff is used mostly in chineze martial arts (kung-fu, tae-chi, etc) , vietnameze (quan ki do - i practiced this, etc)
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

Since I took a Taekwondo class, i should know that you are wrong Avalyon.

The weapons we used included:
A large staff
Those Numbchuck things
and those pointy daggers.

I don't know their names, bite me.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekwondo

I took one Taekwondo class, and it was clear from the start that you do not have weapons to use beside your fists, feet and in a way you used your legs as a weapon as well.
What you followed was NOT a Taekwondo class, perhaps a class which used certain techniques from Taekwondo and added weapons to create it's own style.

But that is not what we are discussing here.
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

Xalliar wrote:@Ku: What you did was Ninjutsu or Kobudo. Not Taekwondo.
They called it Taekwondo.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Although only sparring is contested in the olympics, breaking and poomse are also contested frequently in other competitions. All three are parts of a traditional taekwondo curriculum. Additionally, taekwondoists may train with and compete in weapons.
Athian

Post by Athian »

those pointy daggers= Sai's

that wasnt a real Taekwondo class buddy. especially if you were using Sai's (japanese weapons). but Americanized schools never did teach very well. if you were learning weapons in class it was probably some useless fusion XMA nonsense that they wanted to pass as Taekwondo class.

quarterstaff fighting is european anyway. Japanese martial arts also uses the staff with your hads based at the middle of the weapon, but still the styles and tactic's are very different, after all they come from different area's on the globe.

and lets not all revert to wikipedia (its not always right)

Quarter staff might be a fine weapon, we lack cuncussion weapons as it is now bladed weapons take all other weapon types at least 3:1 right now so it wouldn't be a bad idea. cuncussion weapon idea are probably more then welcome, as i've been asked to think of a few myself.

but it would be a weapon that wouldn't do very well against heavy armor. as the staff has no crushing head, the damage would be moderate at best and solely rely on the speed of the strike and mobility of the warrior. so faster hitting would make sense to me. damage would be relitive, and require balancing for various armor. wouldn't be best against blow absorbing armors like leathers and chain. light but strudy breast plates (such and light mercenary armor etc) would be where it would do the most damage. to thin to withstand the damage and to ridged to move with it, that kind of thing. again lots of balancing stuff. but i don't see a reason to not give it a shot.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Bo Staff = Martial arts version of Quarter Staff. Atleast get the name right :P
Look: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bFScAalIQVs

<.< As you can see. It's amazingly fast. and they use kicks also. But I really don't think it's necisary. I once had a char that used a "spear" but was infact a halberd
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Taylor wrote:Bo Staff = Martial arts version of Quarter Staff. Atleast get the name right :P

<.< As you can see. It's amazingly fast. and they use kicks also. But I really don't think it's necisary. I once had a char that used a "spear" but was infact a halberd
That is why staves and such needs to be fast weapons
Thurbert~

Post by Thurbert~ »

It won't take long untill we get Ninja's in-game. Every bootleg game or webcomic has Ninjas.. OH WAIT we already got those.. :shock:
Athian

Post by Athian »

Taylor wrote:Bo Staff = Martial arts version of Quarter Staff. Atleast get the name right :P

try not to forget that alot of the random twirling of the weapons have no combat use. true a fast weapon and all, but what you see in demonstrations is alot out of context. movements like those lack power and control meaning even hitting someone like that wouldn't cause much harm. slow that down by half add more force and take out the all stunts and thats what actual bo staff fighting is more like.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I have thought about the spell resistance a bit. This concept is interesting, however, it collides with the current concept of spell resistance a bit.

Currently, a char with good magical attributes can resist spells better than a stupid moron. Now, imagine there is a enemy caster - the moron could resist maybe one or two spells out of ten, loosing some of his mana. Does he care about his mana? No. It has no use, thus, no penalty. The mage would resist maybe 5 out of 10 spells, loosing much of his mana. Would he care? Definatly! The mage would loose his only way to oppose enemies. Thus, a mage would be screwed if there is an opposing mage while a stupid moron feels no change to the current system.

I don't think this system is well thought about and I fail to see the big benefit. What are the pro's?
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Doesnt the currant system hamper non mages more. Less magical resistance against the type off character in the game which beats them at anyrate. I heard from a established character today who has trained and had is warrior for a long time that he was beaten by a mage who had, had his runes for a single week. IMO that is wrong.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Thats cause right now, since fighting is slower and weaker, warriors have no chances agaisnst mages, but this will probably get changed so lets just wait.
Samantha Meryadeles

Even Samantha needs 10-15 fireballs to kill a warrior. yes, she needs just two bigger fireattacks, but those need skill to be obtained, and the rune. it takes you time until you can cast such a bigger firespell. green skills are minimum. The mage was for sure not just a wekk ig, or maybe it was a pushed mage.