Race understandings...

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

xBaurusx

Race understandings...

Post by xBaurusx »

Today i was playing my orc character.. as an orc.. he is heavy about 350 pounds and is veyr muscular... course hes not the best with weapons yet but that doesnt matter anyway.... im playing and a woman insults the orc.. the orcs nature of insulting is first ask for an apoligy, if refused to go ape shit on the person who insulted... at least thast what ive seen and heard.. so i did just so, i asked the woman to say sorry, she refused and insulted again and ran... i chased her and attacker her, then two other humans came and killed me.. when i came back from the cross my orc was cut.. but he wont give up to a few cuts.. HES AN ORC... then the thing repeated and i got killed again.. now i come back and im just bloody everywhere... but despite the pain, my orc wants his stuff back.. so they tell me ooc that my orc should be running away, because he is soooo hurt... Hes an ORC for the last time.. orcs dont run from fights, they give it all they got till they cant fight anymore... if im bleeding from every other joint in my body sure ill be weaker, less wanting to fight but i wont give up completely... i will just use a less combative way...my point is..im seeing more and more people refusing to do things ig ((in my case give me my stuff back)) because they apperently "play there character wrong" if i recall there truly is no way to play it wrong.. but there are boundrys... hes an orc.. orcs are savage most of the time, they fight they kill they hunt.. they dont give up to a scrapped knee... now im gettingrejected from cirtain things because i apperently... am not logiccaly playing the character. Please tell me, am i playing the orc wrong? by not giving up, but getting a bit weaker each time? i dont think i am... people need to get a better understanding of the races there up against before they go making assumptions that its being played wrong
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I believe you're ignoring the serious nature of being killed. Being stabbed to death isn't at all equivalent to a "scrapped knee." The injuries you returned carrying are more akin to those one might have at 3/4 or 1/4 health, not after being killed twice.

I imagine the only reason your character simply doesn't die for good when you're killed is because of generosity, and how unpopular that would be. Treat death as grave. (Heh heh, how about that pun?)
xBaurusx

Post by xBaurusx »

i understand death is bad, and im nto saying im avoiding it to "Scrapped knees" i would decrease my effort in fighting and chasing the character i was after greatly.. in fact the second time i died i came back and completely ignored who i was after, but went straight to the person that grabbed my stuff and asked as nice and i could to get it back. then walked off after getting only a quarter of what i dropped. im not avoiding it, im saying that death to an elf or a human is a bit more serious than to an orc. or it should be. because for one orcs are tougher then other races... it doesnt leave a good balance if they arnt.

edit: btw it was stabbed to death, i was getting slashed by a sword.
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

Where do you get this idea that your orc can take two deaths, you make it sound like he is mightier than all humans, including Arameh.

And I am the PO of that woman, you got owned ;)
Poots

Post by Poots »

orcs can get hurt more before running away, but they can't die more. and had a disussion earlyer about smart orcs. not "I hate you! bow or die!" orcs aren't the brightest but try giving him some intelligence and you won't lose your stuff in the future.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

People seem to think that orcs either have their way or fight.

IMO, this is not true. If a girl insulted an orc, I would guess the orc would ignore her because he has no respect for weakness, therefore her words would carry no weight to dishonour him.

People forget that orcs can have honour and not just pride.
Gort Greegog

Post by Gort Greegog »

I belive the reason he died was for the fact Gort and Ku killed some dwarves earlyer in the day...I have noticed an odd increase in the amount of negitive comments twords orcs. Gort is just about fed up. I will literaly walk in a room and onw person will run away in fear, one will call Gort evil, one will tell him to leave, and the rest either don't care or try to kill Gort. It is very degrading to an orc to be called smelly, dumb, ugly, and greeny all in one day. I would have done the same thing as Buarus. This really has been interesting to me. I don't mind Gort being harrased. When Gort or another orc is chasing the one that harrased them they always are attacked. Thats where it is irritable.
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

This particular orc wanted an apology because the woman made the gesture of her staff shoving upwards.
xBaurusx

Post by xBaurusx »

no, he wanted an appoligy for calling hima smelly green ass.. or stump or something.
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

A short, stumpy idiot, but yes, that was after you began threatening her.
xBaurusx

Post by xBaurusx »

Mmh there was a good reason but i cant remember, it was not for the swoosh thin.... Oh yeah she called him weak because he lost to grant and that it was sad... lotta sarcasm after that as well.. it pissed me off too! lol whoever plays her *thumbs up*
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Well, personally, when my characters gets to cross, I do either play them very wounded if there are others around, or I might just log out somewhere for an amount of time (some hours or maybe some days). I try to take death very seriously, as most probably noticed, my characters are rarely to never getting clouded, because I play them careful to what they do, and I play them so they would care to be sent to cross.

Recently I have seen the RP degrade A LOT towards death, characters going to cross and going back to seek their items..is something I really dislike. Simply because, your character is beaten down, if it dosent fear that, what can it fear?

Characters seems to 'care' for everything, less and less, time after time. And that becomes a big problem, really it does..example : "Oh there is a guy dieing on the road *shrugs*" Or "Theses thunders just killed 3 people! lets stay here and watch!" Or "The bandits are attacking and looting everyone! Lets ignore them and talk with our friends anyway"

I swear, all of theses examples happened, and it gets lame, that characters does not care for anything, they dont care for death, blood, they dont fear anything, and I talk about MOST.

Coming back from the cross after getting clouded twice to get your items? Personally, I say a big no, I will be frank, I find it lame, and a very bad example to new players. How do you think new players react at seeing this? They think "Oh, we die, we go to cross, no big deal", THAT is what they think, and that is why most new players dont care about it.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Arameh_ wrote:
Characters seems to 'care' for everything, less and less, time after time. And that becomes a big problem, really it does..example : "Oh there is a guy dieing on the road *shrugs*" Or "Theses thunders just killed 3 people! lets stay here and watch!" Or "The bandits are attacking and looting everyone! Lets ignore them and talk with our friends anyway"
this annoys me a lot ingame, people just keep on doing their own business regardless what is being done or said.
Poots

Post by Poots »

Simply because, your character is beaten down, if it dosent fear that, what can it fear?
loss of valuable items and silver, duh.

This particular orc wanted an apology because the woman made the gesture of her staff shoving upwards.
was that the woman with the staff that said choppy choppy to me and then turned around? that was really wierd...
Gort Greegog

Post by Gort Greegog »

reminds me alot of the fear thread a while back. I do think people could put more fear into their characters. Poots, you do a good job with that :P . Hrm, a bit off topic we have went. I see no problem with how Buarus seemed to have Rped the situation.

@Gildon-It is in an orcs nature to get angry when someone makes a rude gesture to them. Not the brightest of moves to add insult further.
Poots

Post by Poots »

Poots, you do a good job with that Razz
I liked the lady part :lol:
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

And actually I killed you with a staff not a sword.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I think your character is the only abnormal one, and your views of orcs misconstrued to a bloodthirsty animal with a superiority complex.
http://illarion.org/illarion/races/us_orcs.php wrote:Normally, orcs are not bloodthirsty,
http://halik.ha.funpic.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=70 wrote:If a human insults an orc, the orc would normally not immediately grab his sword, he would reply with a short, suiting answer, making a sport of making the other one look stupid. But since the orcish humor appears a little rough compared to a human's, it needs much training for a human to really provoke an orc ( if he does not start to insult the orc's tribe or race ). In the most cases, it's the human who attacks first.
Sounds to me like a meek woman would hardly give an orc more than a good laugh if she insulted him, maybe gross her out by trying to give her a hug after she said he stinks. :lol:
Gort Greegog

Post by Gort Greegog »

Good points Gro'Bul but what about when 1 human, 4 dwarves, 2 fairies, and a halfling insult an orc in the same day?