Game suggestions

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Avalyon el'Hattarr

Game suggestions

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Post here if you have any suggestions for the game.
I'll start:
1. As i said in a other post, a IG dove system would be nice. Don't say that you can reach people on the forum because not all use their caracter name as a forum account. Should be something like this :
#send [character name] "message" . The message text should be of a different color than the usual.
2. A FEW people take death seriosly.. The skill decrease is not enough. What if, upon death you can not ressurect for a period of time, which depends on the gravity of your death? (if you die killed by animals, or whatever, then the period is very small - a few IG hours)
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

1) Not sure about that, people could abuse it. Person A is training at the mummy tomb while person B is mining in the coal cave and all they are writing to each other is how they are doing where they are at. You honestly don't need constant contact, if you don't want to use the forums, (which i do not at all suggest I always encourage every player to have a forum account), then you can always look to hire a messenger, a character.

2) That is always being discussed. Some have offered a sort of maze inwhich you must find a portal and each time the portal is put at a different place.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

1.yes but what if i want to speak to a person that i really can't find, and as i said i don't know his forum account?
And this dove system doesn't have to be for free so no one abuses it.
2. I think that the temporarely "ban" would have a better eficency, but the maze is also a good ideea -it can grow bigger with the gravity of the death :idea:
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

1. It is not very logical that you can contact a person in a medieval world in minutes. If there is a "#dove"-command than the message should be delayed, depending on the distance between sender and receiver (something like delay min. 5 RL min up to ? min).

2. There were and are discussions about that. The idea of a death maze sound not so good in my ears.

I have a lot of suggestions for the game. The most simple suggestion: Make built-in features bugfree/complete.
Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

Miklorius wrote:1. It is not very logical that you can contact a person in a medieval world in minutes. If there is a "#dove"-command than the message should be delayed, depending on the distance between sender and receiver (something like delay min. 5 RL min up to ? min).

2. There were and are discussions about that. The idea of a death maze sound not so good in my ears.

I have a lot of suggestions for the game. The most simple suggestion: Make built-in features bugfree/complete.
1.) Yes but who cares???? sorry... but i am for a ig messegaing system.... currently all communicate with ICQ, MSN or something like that.... was is the problem if we controll which messages are send about an ig system. All people are doing it OOC why can we implement a fair system inside the game?

2.) make suggestions. in my eyes death is to weak... nobody takes it serious.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

2. The only way they will realy will be if their char can never return.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:1.) Yes but who cares???? sorry... but i am for a ig messegaing system.... currently all communicate with ICQ, MSN or something like that.... was is the problem if we controll which messages are send about an ig system. All people are doing it OOC why can we implement a fair system inside the game?
Okay... but I am for a delay and/or a limit of messages. You do not have unfinite super-fast doves :).
2.) make suggestions. in my eyes death is to weak... nobody takes it serious.
- The armor which get the deadly blow should break
- All your stuff except clothes should remain at the corpse position
- Delay until you get resurrected
- Some kind of skill loose or time limited skill reduction after resurrection
Irania

Post by Irania »

Then again, it shouldn't take that long for a bird to fly across one side of the island to the other.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

- All your stuff except clothes should remain at the corpse position
well, my char got beaten unconcious (killed) a couple of times in the last days.
i always loose everything what the char had on his body including clothes.

korm
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

Yes, but locating someone specifically will take a little longer. Also, maybe there's weather to take into account. It's said under study that you can sometimes tell how long a storm will last by, for one, the behavior of the birds. Birds will continue to fly around during a short storm because they know it won't last long. However, longer and harder storms send birds taking more permanent cover.

So. In my opinion, it's awfully hard to send even a trained bird flying through difficult weather. Just a thought :) .

As for the idea of a maze, I think I kind of like that (o.o) . If it's enough of a big, tedious process to get back, maybe we'd take death a little more seriously. Being the lazy asses that most of us are :wink: . The main problem that comes to mind for me is that it might not take long to learn the correct path through the maze. That is, unless you also threw in a few hidden floor switches, some of which close off passages and some of which open them. Oooooh (o.o). That would be terribly nifty.

And then you'd get the IG issue of having to wait for the ones who've been cut down in battle (or whatnot) to get back through the maze, through a portal to the cross, and back to the battlefield, if they're even strong enough to fight again.

I'm done ranting now for this post.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Kevin Lightdot wrote:2. The only way they will realy will be if their char can never return.
This is too harsh... no one will play eventualy. I think that a delay until the resurection is fair enough
BUT let's take a very evil character (no names given :P ) per example... no one will like if he gets resurected after death, because everyone hates him!
As for the IG doves i think it's a very good ideea... But because it can be abused, a)it must cost , b) has a limit per day/week/year , etc
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

a dove system would be marvelous! it should be like real doves funktion.
that means, you take a dove with you, and that dove will find the way to its home.
but doves cant be sent anywhere else than their own home.

really, that could be fun!

korm
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Thats getting complicate and I doubt that can be implemented.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

let's first talk about the simple stuff :wink:
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

(It's definitely a cool idea, at least :wink: . )
Avalyon el'Hattarr

i didn't say that it doesn't sound good... it really does :wink: but let's first see the simple stuff implementated :wink: :wink:
Llama

Post by Llama »

1) Doves too complicated IMHO.. You'd have to put in too many conditions to make it umm, realistic enough

I don't think its worth the hassle, you can always pm...

2) Ability damage is the best I can think of, which heals after 1 IG day; but if you die a lot, you'll end up... rather bad...

Otherwise, the maze isn't much of a good idea...IMHO
Poots

Post by Poots »

2. actually, I just relized that a ban (and some skill loss) would be great! just think about it, why not? they get banned from being ingame for some time ( I'm just guessing between an hour and a day) and then spawn or something next to the nearest cross.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Poots wrote:2. actually, I just relized that a ban (and some skill loss) would be great! just think about it, why not? they get banned from being ingame for some time ( I'm just guessing between an hour and a day) and then spawn or something next to the nearest cross.
LOL
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Whats's funny?
Avalyon el'Hattarr

so what? this is a good thing! next time they will treat death more seriously
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Well it depends, sometimes deaths can be cause by the mistake of a GM, and the "I make fun attacking peoples randomly" n00bs will all quit the games..tho many would like that
Poots

Post by Poots »

and thats such a huge problem, lower it.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

"You died! You better play something else for the next 24 hours." *client terminates*

Do not think about how to make players stop playing this game. Think about something creative. Or a well balanced system.

How do other games handle this problem? In Tibia, you get resurrected at a default place, having lost most of your equipment. In Anarchy Online, you get resurrected at a "respawn terminal", having lost some EXP and having to recover (what makes most chars sit down and idle around while the players get a cup of coffee or take a dump).
Poots

Post by Poots »

I'm sticking with my idea...er Xalliar's idea.
swish1

Post by swish1 »

I like dove system idea, I told someone about having this I forgot whom. What about if the person chooses to recieve the dove?

You have recieved a dove from Stephen Rothman.(just an ex.) Then you see a letter in your belt. Use if you want or throw out if you dont want to. Once you read it the message the message it dissappears.

Oh I also agree with some sort of punishment for dying.
This is Ex. that happend.

It was Reuven was attacked by those skeleton people.

Reuven and a few other people attack die then recover attack die recover, and finally it was over. I mean come on. Where is the RP you dont just walk to the cross get ressurected and keep walking. #me is barely alive #me limps something like that. My point is we dont take death seriously and once we die we refuse to RP.

Avalyon I remember you saying somewhere about this idea about starting a Game Suggestions topic. Where?I am breaking my head trying to find the answer.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

2. What speaks against the "maze" idea in my eyes is that it defines an "afterlife" concept too much. The more that is open to one's imagination, or rather the character's the more margin there is for creativity on the subject.

What speaks against the temporary ban in my eyes is, well, durrr! You can't be playing! So, I know there are some people who continue doing shit right after their character died. And then there's the other people who actually RP being seriously wounded or near death after the miraculous resurrection. Plus, sometimes you just get killed for no apparent reason. It's just a punishment for the casual player.

Temporary stat loss for character death which heals back over time; now that is one of the best suggestions I've read on the subject so far. If you repeatedly get killed alot in short time, you're severely weakened.
Cheers Hadrian.

1. Hell yah. Whatever takes people more into game and less lurking on the forums is all the better.
Everybody arguing against an in-game dove system, oh, come on, you know what you're saying is bullshit, because all the arguments I've read so far would argue against anybody even being allowed to PM eachother on the forums as well. It doesn't have to be realistic, because PMing as a solution for "sending doves" already is not. This is about practicality.
Faladron

Post by Faladron »

Moirear Sian wrote:Temporary stat loss for character death which heals back over time; now that is one of the best suggestions I've read on the subject so far. If you repeatedly get killed alot in short time, you're severely weakened.
I second that. Allthough maybe this should be expanded a bit:

Rather than taking the punitive way by making a character loose something like skills permanently (and send the player through a process of doing something all over again to re-gain that skill, which is tedious and no fun at all) these temporary limitations could be realy severe -even after the first death- for a while so people have to consider it in their rp and don't go back to a "Oh I died.. well whatever.. back to work!" routine.

Note that a punishment by loosing posessions is just going to work without frustration if there's actually a chance of being able to reclaim them
(not as it is now, you die at some remote place, run for the cross, run back sorry - items disappeared) or if this is intended, just make the items break no matter what then.

Otherwise this will make most players stick to a place for their rp which is near a cross so they don't suffer too much from their death (item-wise).
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

I concur with the first death in a row already giving a powerful temporary stat cut.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

ok, another suggestion:
3. I've seen that no one takes the weather efects seriosly.. Day or night, rain or sun, they all stay at the entrance of the shop.
So, wouldn't be possible to implement some kind of effect (catch a cold) or something that would make players think twice before adventuring outside while raining or similar effects take place?