Rollenspiel Situation – Roleplay Situation

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Why does this have to change? Although Samantha may have once been a noble, she lost everything that made her a noble when she came to Trollsbane. No money, and no power. Apart from behavior, Samantha is a commoner, and it's not your behavior that ever makes you a noble, it's your influence. Nobles either became nobles through inheritance, or plain struggle. They had to work for it, or they were born into it, and there's nothing to be born into on Gobaith.
Samantha is one of the most richest chars ingame, also one of the most powerful. noone wears bether clothes and jewelry than her. with ease she could bring havok over the town if it would be what she wants. She holds more power in her hand than most others ever may gather.

But the peoples ignore that. Someone insults her, samantha waves with her hand and he lands many metre away in the dirt. what does he do? he stands up and continues to insult her. she could bring him incredible pain, but he ignores it. because it means nothing to the player. he plays his char without fear of pain and dead. my chars would show respect infront of a char who could easily burn my skin away while i am alive. respect someone who holds incredible magic powers. but no, not the heros of others. Samantha rescued in the past many times the town. she saved the lifes of rothman and his guards and knights when orcs attacked. she did enough that should earn her respect. she got announced archmage of gobaith by the archmages of lor-angur.

Does that mean anything to all the others? no. why? because samantha is not the buddy like. who gives you nicknames, hugs you and is the whole time over miss friendly. because she demands respect and also etiquettes everyone dislikes her, even after she did so many things and reached so much. samantha is a serious and hard woman. someone who doesnt run around laughing and makes jokes the whole time over. who calls you "old buddy" or so and allows everyone to call her sam, sammy or samantha. She is a devoted follower of Zhambra, and for her just her real friends can call her by the forname.

does that count for anyone? no. she is not miss friendly to me, so i ignore everything else. my char ignores her power, her good doings, her status, her nobility and everything else. just because she doesnt allow me to call her by her forname.

The most players ignore the whole roleplay aspect, and show bad roleplay because they ignore everything that happened, and that is. they ignore all the facts that should influence his roleplay, because he does what he wants, dont showing respect to any other things that should influence his chars behaviour.
Last edited by Samantha Meryadeles on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Markous wrote:Another main problem is, that people take things from Ingame too personal. They start bitching in the forums and start bitching about others, when things do not happen like they want it to happen.

If you are frustrated because of Ingame, and thus take the things OOC, we always have this stupid flame-wars in the forums.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to start flaming. Though, I find this post a bit ironic.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

I do hope you dont expect Aris to respect her my friend. He isnt great at being respectfull ;]
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

I blame Arist.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Fooser wrote:I blame Fooser.
I agree
Samantha Meryadeles

But Aristeaus could care more for the fact that she is no harmless one who allows every respectless behaviour against her. it is like he ignores the fact what she could do easily with him.

Do you go to a marine standing somewhere and starting insulting him, or treat him very respectless? no, and why? because you know that he may beat you pretty well up for that.

so why does your char do ig that? too many chars miss common senses whioch we have in rl, because the player simply ignores them to involve them into his roleplay

A dragon, let us run after him and pull his tail. lightnings struck the area, let us stand there and start picking up items from the ground. A powerfull archmage, let us insult her and treat her respectless and unhonorfull. and so on.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Do you go to a marine standing somewhere and starting insulting him, or treat him very respectless? no, and why? because you know that he may beat you pretty well up for that.
If he did something that I felt passionate about, I would.

Logic is good, but not always. Sometimes players throw out logic for a certain literary reason.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

In the same instance Samantha he could easily cut you down, and in his years he has faced far more intimidating foes than a noble woman.

It is all down to cirumstances, nothing more nothing less.
Talaena Landessi

Post by Talaena Landessi »

Arist= The greatest swordsman on the island. He could kill anyone easily. he is a war veteran, an ex mercenary and many other things. Its only the character wipe that kept him from having the skill to back it up.

ALL HAIL ARIST THE DRAGON SLAYER!

sorry im back :) not to mention bored.. hehe

Ive saved the town to! my magic saved the town from the orcs! Pendar owed me his life like ninety times over among others buuut i think he died so he will never be able to pay me back ><I was once Trystans apprentice muwahhahah i SHOULD get respect >< But my history and rp mean nothing becouse my skill got TKO'd.

talking about other peoples rp does nothing... just think about your own and play on it. Dont talk about others. dont talk about your as superior or inferior to others... the subject is just best left alone...

i wonder how many topics we could search up that ended up in flame wars becouse of that.....?
Last edited by Talaena Landessi on Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

On this point I would support Dusty and Samantha, characters are too careless, they act like they care about nothing. Probably because they know they risk nothing, any character could pee on Arameh and bark in Samantha's face, the worst that could happen is getting clouded, and, even THAT became a joke now. Things arent taken seriously enought, the loss after getting killed, bans from town are getting laughed at, at a time everyone escaped jail...Things just arent taken seriously enought, and thus leads us away from a RPing game, and closer to a mmorpg where the only objective is to make l33t characters with uber weapons.

We can hardly ask for everyone to change their RP because of this, this hardly is a solution. We need to adapt the game system to fix such things. I remember having suggested a running system, what would it do toward RP you say? It would make characters think twice before acting, the main reason they dont need to is that they know they cant be catched, if we take example of bandits, thieves and such.

After comes death, why would anyone give a smile about losing 1% skill and a helmet after going to cross? Recently, tons of new players trains, dies, goes back training, dies, plenty of times, in a single day. Because death is a JOKE, we cannot ask everyone to change their RP toward it, it wont work, it needs to be changed in the game system. The more things that are implemented currently, they way they are, the less the characters cares about anything, its easy to notice.

When peoples see that things must be taken more seriously, that they actually lose something from getting burned by an archmage, that they can possibly get catched from thieving in the middle of everyone, then they wil lchange their RP toward it, but until then, I can swear it will not get any better.
Talaena Landessi

actually i like the idea of a 3 strikes your out system.

You die three times by another character and your gone (you can die as much as you want with npcs though) but regaurdless npc or pc you should loose all carried items and half all skills and a wait period to be revived 1 IG day.... but thats just me....
Lance Thunnigan

Post by Lance Thunnigan »

regaurdless npc or pc you should loose all carried items and half all skills
That there is a bit too harsh though.
Talaena Landessi

no you just DIED its nto to harsh. DEATH in RL we loose all items all skill and we dont get a ressurection period, we stay there...if you dont want those penalties then dont die! it will make you think twice wether or not to fight this next person! ugh!
Last edited by Talaena Landessi on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

There's too much nonsense and BS deaths to have any reasonable permanent death system.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Talaena Landessi wrote:no you just DIED its nto to harsh. DEATH in RL we loose all items all skill and we dont get a ressurection period, we stay there...
All items? Half skills? Some peoples trained their characters 8 months, maybe they dont want to nearly lose their character in a quest..
Last edited by Arameh on Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samantha Meryadeles

I was once Trystans apprentice muwahhahah i SHOULD get respect
You mean the Trystan who turned out to be a child of bjolmur and who brought havok and dead over the town when he attacked it which 6 metre tall demonskeletons? <_<

And yes...half skill is too much. death shouldnt be punished skillwise. there should be other ways. like lowering after a death the skills for a week, and they return after it. so for 3 ig weeks your char is weak and wounded after a dead. and he has to wait those week before he gets his usual skills back.
Talaena Landessi

well then after the third death you loose all skill instead of just half

we need something harsh to make everyone think more. it needs to be BAD to make all the BS deaths stop between players. like i said only ressurection delay, skill loss, and item loss will come with fighting mosters not perm death

yes that trystan ^^
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

More penalties for death will do nothing but bring more rants and complaints to the forum.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

They are plenty of ideas about running system and ways to make death less a joke. Temporary loss of attributes, temporary loss of skills, temporary bans etc. They just dont get implemented.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Talaena Landessi wrote:actually i like the idea of a 3 strikes your out system.

You die three times by another character and your gone (you can die as much as you want with npcs though) but regaurdless npc or pc you should loose all carried items and half all skills and a wait period to be revived 1 IG day.... but thats just me....
that idea sounds very good for me, it should be considered
Samantha Meryadeles

we turn offtopic. please stay on the real topic ;)
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Temporary bans or delays for logging in again don't help either, Illa is already short when it comes to players online, even if it would only be for a little bit, there would definetly be some type of effect.
Talaena Landessi

well someone needs to take initiative and implement them so that people take death more seriously becouse it is a very serious matter. and only having something implemented will help becouse its the only way to force people to comply to death seriousness
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Talaena Landessi wrote:well someone needs to take initiative and implement them so that people take death more seriously becouse it is a very serious matter. and only having something implemented will help becouse its the only way to force people to comply to death seriousness
Yeah it is true. But we cant make it "too" harsh as well, it needs to have balanced like anything else. Half skill are much, much too harsh. Getting killed can be really quick in illarion, it can take the time of a lightning, or a crazy mage to get PKed really fast. To drop all items? Maybe, that sounds rather logical, and woulnt be too harsh. To me this is one of the most serious matter about Illarion, I rather see a running system and death penaltys than ANYTHING else that could be implemented ig.
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

I'm sure that the system can't tell who or what has killed you. And if it did, the three strikes idea would still be pretty rediculous. What if you start lagging during a friendly duel? You can't run. You're dead. There's a strike down the drain. What if some bandit attacks you while you are AFK? There goes a strike. What if you and someone are fighting a monster together when the guy accidently targets you instead of the monster next to you, killing your character for good?

The skillgain is far too hard to make a single death screw over months of training. You already drop pretty much everything you're carrying, anyway, as far as I know, and waiting an ingame day would ruin some rp situations (you're getting married when a wolf gets too close and kills you.)

Death will only be taken seriously by good roleplayers. It's always been that way and giving more consequences will only make it worse for the rest of us.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Sess'sth wrote:I'm sure that the system can't tell who or what has killed you. And if it did, the three strikes idea would still be pretty rediculous. What if you start lagging during a friendly duel? You can't run. You're dead. There's a strike down the drain. What if some bandit attacks you while you are AFK? There goes a strike. What if you and someone are fighting a monster together when the guy accidently targets you instead of the monster next to you, killing your character for good?

The skillgain is far too hard to make a single death screw over months of training. You already drop pretty much everything you're carrying, anyway, as far as I know, and waiting an ingame day would ruin some rp situations (you're getting married when a wolf gets too close and kills you.)

Death will only be taken seriously by good roleplayers. It's always been that way and giving more consequences will only make it worse for the rest of us.

There was supposed to be implemented a system where when your healt goes to 0, your chaarcter gets uncounscious and need another hit to die, this would help in many aspects, like dieing in friendly duels and such. But really, having more penaltys for deaths are the only solution.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

There are too many negatives to any of these "solutions". I mentioned one previously, and now about the skill loss/item loss idea. If you have any major skill loss from death, it could seriously hamper the players ability to do anything. Not to mention it would only further glorify skill gaining. Just powergame up so people have to fear you for the new death concepts, and it makes it so that more skills mean its also harder to lose them. So characters without skill would be slapped in the face, traveling would lessen because of fear of wolves and whatever else.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

There are no negatives for a temporary loss of attributes, joined with a small skill loss.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

But the peoples ignore that. Someone insults her, samantha waves with her hand and he lands many metre away in the dirt. what does he do? he stands up and continues to insult her. she could bring him incredible pain, but he ignores it. because it means nothing to the player. he plays his char without fear of pain and dead. my chars would show respect infront of a char who could easily burn my skin away while i am alive. respect someone who holds incredible magic powers. but no, not the heros of others. Samantha rescued in the past many times the town. she saved the lifes of rothman and his guards and knights when orcs attacked. she did enough that should earn her respect. she got announced archmage of gobaith by the archmages of lor-angur.
I heart you Patric. The whole "I-do-not-fear-your-magic" or the "WTF-I-am-walking-and-did-not-even-fell-after-a-wind-blow-blew-me-back-a-few-metres" is, to say safely, kind of peculiar. I myself have been quite annoyed over that.

Concerning the night/gay thing, I think this will be hard on some players, who are, perhaps, unlucky enough to end up at night everytime they wish to play. I however, see no solutions to it.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

eeeh, might it be, that the death system IS already changed?

my char got killed a couple of hours ago, and all he brought back to the pillar in trollsbane were his shirt and trousers....
everything else he carried, stayed at the northcoast for the robber gang.

although i'm a newbee to illarion, got me about 30 years of rolplaying under the belt. mostly pen&paper.

those players here in this thread, who are afraid to loose their favorite sword, or some of their skills, remember me a little bit of those players, who tend to give the dice a second twist, not to loose a char...

i too hate to loose a char. thats why im playing nonfighter chars.
but if i send my char in some unhealthy situation, i must be ready to loose that char.
(and if it were not so timeconsuming to apply for a new one, i would prefer to start out with another char entirely)

in various posts i read about balancing. the game would possibly be better balanced, if the supermen werent eternal.

korm