How EXACTLY is theivery played?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ronazin

How EXACTLY is theivery played?

Post by Ronazin »

OK I've been around the forum for info on thievery. I've also been to the site. And yet...I cant draw a conclusion on how exactly to be a thief. I want one of my characters to become one.

Do you Rp it?
If so then i'll cease to even try to become a thief...even so I've read that you "sneak" behind someone and Rp your taking there things. Does the victim "willingly give his things without seing this happen or what?

Is it a skill?
If its a skill how exactly do you do it?
I've read that if you want to be a theif you deplete the victims life to they are "unconsius" (forgive my spelling) then you take their items, RP a litte then get away hoping there were no witnesses. Is this method the correct one?

As you can see im beyond confused so a little explanation would help...
Jon Childs
Location: Location not edited since 5/12/05-Join me in my quest for locations that are overly long and dated

Post by Jon Childs »

#me checks the human for anything of value
The human has a bag, maybe full of coppers?
#me sneaks up behind him, he slowly moves his hand to the bag, then tries running away with it.
Ronazin

Post by Ronazin »

Ummm...that doesnt exactly answer the question...

How do you know he has a bag? How do you know the bag has coppers in it? and how did you actually get the money?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Theivery (except mugging) is all roleplayed.

You #me and expect others to help you out... thats the only way to do it.

Taking items is just him/her dropping them on the floor so you can pick them up...
swish1

Post by swish1 »

#me carefully eyes the man's belt without attracting any attention (your role -play)

#me has 50 copper coins ( the person your stealing rp)

#me carefully slips into the bag and feels around for the copper and he feels it and grabs it (your rp)

(they now drop it)

#me takes it and runs away

PS Try to find a good rper to steal from some people are mean and dont rp and be creative
Ronazin

Post by Ronazin »

Is this the way to do it truly? In that case I'm not gonna do it... O well...
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

Well, you could look HERE for more information on thievery and how to do it.
Most of what's in there is what you've already read here, but there are definitely other ideas that work in that link.

And, if that isn't enough for you, you could try THIS.
swish1

Post by swish1 »

Ya i was a thief in one of my chars but players are so grumpy and dont rp back.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

Get high combat skills and threaten to steal their stuff or kill 'em.
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

You don't NEED combat skills, but that makes for a better bandit build if you feel like robbing people in the wilderness and other unguarded areas. Highwaymen and bandits simply need combat skills because their work is done via threatening and other violence. Of course, you could also play a pickpocket or a common thief.

Grumpy players got you down? Don't only use #me's then. Use the game's mechanics as well and roleplay another way; a longer way in most cases, yes, but still another way. Gain their trust. Trade with them. Take their gold without giving them the item you are supposedly "trading" (or take the item without paying, etc.) and get the crap out of there. I've done it a few times with my thief. It's relatively easy and so much fun. :P Though, if you truly want to get away, you need to figure out escape routes and you will most likely need someone's help. As you run out of a building, make sure your buddy is there to jump in the way of the person chasing you (stand in a doorway, etc.). This will gain you valuable seconds to get as much space between your victim as possible. If you are lucky enough to get a "screen" away from your victim, you've pretty much gotten away if you don't stop.
Ronazin

Post by Ronazin »

Bloodhearte and Sess'sth...you guys got the right Idea in the thieving
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Sess is right, fighting skills arent "needed". As example, two bandits have robbed both Gwendolin and Darius at the same time some days ago. One of them got behing her and put a dagger to her neck, while Darius was nearly getting naked giving all his things :P . Then the bandits ran off. There has been no need of any ctrl clicking, if there has been they probably would have destroyed the bandits. But any unskilled character could have done that, you just need to rob good roleplayers and if your character does alright then there should be no problem at all. Sure its risky, but thats the bad thing of playing a thief/bandit :wink: .
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

The risky part about roleplaying thievery properly, and holding a dagger to somebody's neck, is that the victim has absolutely no fear and magically breaks free of the grip (my character has 9999 strength duuuur!). Then the combat skills come into play, and the thief gets killed.

So I think it'd be a lot easier to get a tough guy and use him to rob. A lot easier that way.
Gwendolin Cad'ell

Post by Gwendolin Cad'ell »

Bloodhearte wrote:The risky part about roleplaying thievery properly, and holding a dagger to somebody's neck, is that the victim has absolutely no fear and magically breaks free of the grip (my character has 9999 strength duuuur!). Then the combat skills come into play, and the thief gets killed.

So I think it'd be a lot easier to get a tough guy and use him to rob. A lot easier that way.

I have to agree to a certain degree. The other way it depends *alot* on the players fairness. (Like mine and Darius ;) )
swish1

Post by swish1 »

what but that would be cheating bad rping to trade and not give i thought....

But then one time a person a person handed something over so he dropped it can i say #me grabs the item before it is handed over and runs away?

And after some stealing , one time i was chased like 10 minutes can i run out of the way and log?
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

swish1 wrote:what but that would be cheating bad rping to trade and not give i thought....

But then one time a person a person handed something over so he dropped it can i say #me grabs the item before it is handed over and runs away?

And after some stealing , one time i was chased like 10 minutes can i run out of the way and log?
Ir's not bad roleplay to lie to someone, if your char does the lying. If you are a thief its perfectly good roleplay to lie to someone in a trade.

And if you're running, you should not log out, that would be very bad roleplay. If you get away from the person by running into the wilderness and teleporting to a settlement then hiding somewhere, and waiting, then its okay to log out because you got away.
Llama

Post by Llama »

As a general rule, if you got away from him to the point where after 1 minute he can't see you, or you can't see him.. you can log out..

In 4 real life minutes you could have changed your clothes ect...
=

I tried thevary once, it IS hard, and depends on who you try it on. Oh and the most important thing, DONT act suspiciously in front of a person, THEN try to steal from HIM the next time.. cos that happened once and I caught the guy [had a valid RP reason to do so] (actually mine had been a trap).
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I personally like to act somewhat suspicious, so the other player knows what might go down.
swish1

Post by swish1 »

Thanks but I mean can you steal when two people were trading you know they say okay i will sell 50 pigs for 4 silver. okay. They drop it in rl and in rp they hand it over can i go and say #me grabs before the handed it over and runs?

PS a mage would make the best thief he could just zap himself somewhere else when he is on the run
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

You can steal whatever and whenever you want, as far as possibilities go. But, obviously, you will be frowned upon IC and you will be risking your char's reputation and life.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Hehe. Close Sessth. Just look at Sebastian or "The Traveler" He's brought mummies, gnolls, Skeletons, and the like to town. Stolen from about 5 different people, And people still just seen a cheery traveler ^^ You just have to be REALLY persuasive.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Bloodhearte wrote:The risky part about roleplaying thievery properly, and holding a dagger to somebody's neck, is that the victim has absolutely no fear and magically breaks free of the grip (my character has 9999 strength duuuur!). Then the combat skills come into play, and the thief gets killed.

The tricky part about roleplaying thievery properly is the part where the ROLEPLAY comes in. Oftentimes its all a character against a player who doesn't want their character to be at a disadvantage for even an instant.
Ronazin

Post by Ronazin »

So heres a questoin to all of you:

If some random person came up to you and initiated a thief scene, how would you RP it :?:
Ronazin

Post by Ronazin »

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!

I just read on the the Official Illarion Websites that theivery is a SKILL and actual skill(along with Library research, The languages, Blacksmithing, ect.)

So for those of you who are actual thieves, when you unfold your skill list do you see "thievery"?

Don't Make fun of me If tis is something thats not important either (Im new to thievery!)
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

There are no thieve skill....
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

Thievery will ONE DAY be a skill. But that is not this day. The website is full of wretched lies! :wink:
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The best way to steal is gain someones trust, making passionate love with them all night, and steal their stuff before they wake up the next morning.
Avareniah

Post by Avareniah »

You mean you do that all the time?!?! I thought I was the only one!!
Ronazin

Post by Ronazin »

CURSE THE WEBSITE AND ITS WRETCHEDNESS!!!!
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Avareniah wrote:You mean you do that all the time?!?! I thought I was the only one!!
lmao...