Depots: Connection closed - Depots: Verbindung beendet

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Depots trennen - Disconnect Depots?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:05 pm

Ja - Yes
50%
Nein - No
50%

Total votes: 123

Cassandra Fjurin

Post by Cassandra Fjurin »

Misjbar wrote:Can you add another option, like: "Not before there are solutions to "manouvering goods""?
then its a no. Isn't it? Currently we have not this option. We are thinking about, how to implement that, But there is no fast and easy way. So depend your opinion on the current state, yes or no. Other things which will be possible in future are other questions. Maybe we can solve the problem fast or not so fast.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:
Misjbar wrote:Can you add another option, like: "Not before there are solutions to "manouvering goods""?
then its a no. Isn't it? Currently we have not this option. We are thinking about, how to implement that, But there is no fast and easy way. So depend your opinion on the current state, yes or no. Other things which will be possible in future are other questions. Maybe we can solve the problem fast or not so fast.
It could also be a "Yes, as long as there is a solution provided for "manouvering goods". I just think it would be nifty if you would be able to see more "clearly" how the opinions of the players lie.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Well atleast you can now say: "Sorry Kl'urk, but i left my sword at Greenbrair so no fight today."
And it does bring more reality to the game. Unless all depots are connected with miniature stargates and Colonel roasted pork can travel through them to feed you.

Now i know about the "This game isn't reality." Stuff but now you no longer sneak weapons into Vanima without carring it when you get checked for some. And you no longer need to explain how you can get your spare sword when your in a place your char has never been before, cause you cant get it. Resulting in a need to talk to complete strangers in your search for a new sword. Making that complete stranger a possible new ally or enemy.

So Yes.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

i remember a while back martin i think (maybe nitram) explained that the depots worked by the faries constantly carrying the things around, so this means that fairies should be playable now since they wont be so busy anymore ;)
Sess'sth

Post by Sess'sth »

Here's an idea (that would need much tweaking if considered) for transporting goods from place to place:

We used to have that neat little cart in TB by the shop. How about you make it into a container that can fit up to 5 or so items and/or stacks of items? This container would be linked to every "town" or place with a depot, and could be used once every IG day or so. That way, you could put all of your heavy goods in the cart to be transported away while you carry the rest yourself, thus giving thieves some more reason to exist. OR, maybe you could put a weight limit in the cart so you could fill it up until it's too heavy. Maybe a certain NPC could be put by every cart so you have to pay to use the cart; it shouldn't be very cheap.

Obviously, this would take weeks at least to script up but its a solution if nothing else.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

I suggested somethin similar on the previous page, Sess'sth. I think using the carts as a linked transport system is the key.

PS: I voted for "no" as long as there is no transport/travel system of any kind.
Thariel Feuersturm

Post by Thariel Feuersturm »

Es wird eins geben, Milkorius, deswegen stimme ich dafür.
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Thariel Feuersturm wrote:Es wird eins geben, Milkorius, deswegen stimme ich dafür.
Ja, ich weiß. Aber ich will nicht, dass sie disconnected werden, solange es nicht so ein System gibt.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

Sie sind es schon. Was passiert wenn jetzt mit "nein" gestimmt wird? Alle Depots werden zurückgesetzt und alles was umgepackt wurde ist weg?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Do you just want to make profits these days? I suggest you read the 1st paragraph on the main page.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Personal gain can influence rp.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Should be IC influence.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Adano Eles wrote:Sie sind es schon. Was passiert wenn jetzt mit "nein" gestimmt wird? Alle Depots werden zurückgesetzt und alles was umgepackt wurde ist weg?
Wenn für nein gestimmt wird, oder kein Eindeutiges Ergebniss erzielt wird, bleibt der Momentane Zustand.

Nitram
Nop
Developer

Post by Nop »

I vote against it (obviously).

I am in favour of doing it right and improving Illarion: Provide means of transport, then disconnect the depots.

I am never in favour of botching things and making life more difficult.
Poots

Post by Poots »

I say disconnect them. if you ever get transportation, that's good too. but I don't see a need to hold this up because people can't walk somewhere.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

I voted no. I was just thinking of a miner and thought how horrible that would be. Go far north to the mine to get coal. Travel south to the Troll's Bane depot since the Rose one is not near any merchants or another mine, or smelting/smithing places for non-rose members. So unless you want to move VERY slow then you carry a small bit and still end up waisting tons of time. But, dont forget you need to go to the other mine and get iron or coppers. Troll's Bane is the only town will all of the resourses needed for crafting some what close. People will most like not make other towns more active but less active instead.

Lets say we had a cart. Now think of a wolf or monster that happened to be near you while pushing your cart. The only thing you could do is abondon it and try to run for your life.(I assume a cart or whatever would slow you down.)Or try to carry a cart through a mountain or a forest. I suppose you could make roads through every mountain to every resourse and make it so no spawn points were anywhere near.

A ship. Would only be usefull if you spend most time in one place or need to transport a large very amount of things. Cost for this would have to be rather high. Still the ship would need to go to a town with a waterway from another town.

Maybe add in some cars?..Just an idea :D
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Now those carts could be nice, easier to rob someone that way ^^ It would be like a pushing a dropped bag automaticly.

And you can't fight while holding the cart...
One attacks him and the other thief steals the contents of the cart.

I'm coming for you Salathe! :twisted:
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Actually the imobility of rescourses would help to spread people across the towns.

If you think about it, you have, for instance an iron mine at Varshikar aswell as smithing equipment. The coal mine however is at Silverbrand. Varshikari's mine the iron and take it back to Varshikar where the dwarfs mine the coal. The smith orders a delivery of coal from the dwarvern town to be taken up to Varshikar (again here I favour the introduction of carts).

The smith remains in Varshikar to produce his goods, and then exports them to Trollsbane for sale.

I see 3 positive points with this:

- Improved player interaction and trade
- A wider spread of rescources, and therefore people
- A better economic model

This way we would develop seperate existing towns who hold a trade with each other. All it takes is a little organisation, and for us to stop being one man empires.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

I agree now with this proposal.
The fact of the matter is the other towns are useless; much roleplay that could be done, (dislike of people from "that" town, political movements, tensions between towns), is not done because of the fact it is easy to remain in one town, Trolls Bane. This needs to be done because, thus far, the players have done nothing to change the situation. As said, remaining in Trolls Bane is so much easier then staying in Varshikar and forcing people to go there to play with you.
I strongly urge that this is accomplished, the game is held back very much so if it is not done. If it is not done, simply, NEVER will any of the other towns become inactive, thereby making it useless to have other towns beside Trolls Bane.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

I have a wild idea......

If you want other towns to be more active.......

DOWNSIZE TROLLSBANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats the point of farming in Greenbriar for food, if there's a farm just outside Trollsbane?

Whats the point of smithing in Varshikar, if there's a full smithy in Trollsbane?

What's the point of gathering wood in Tol Vanima for carpentry, when you can gather, make and sell wood items in Trollsbane.

Let's face it, who needs the other towns if everything you need is in Trollsbane? The other towns need "special" resources or equipment that couldn't be found anywhere else. That would make them 'active'. Trollsbane is the only town with a supply of pigs, NPC Tailor, Leatherworker, Barkeeper, Librarian, Herbalist and 3 Armorers. Isn't that enough? Why do they need to compete with the other towns for everything else????

I don't believe disconnecting the Depots is going to help, but hurt the already vacant villages. I voted no. The other villages have nothing more to offer than Trollsbane does. Trollsbane is the problem here, not the depots!
Galahan

Post by Galahan »

Juniper Onyx wrote: What's the point of gathering wood in Tol Vanima for carpentry, when you can gather, make and sell wood items in Trollsbane.
You gather wood in Tol Vanima? Thats against the law of the land and more people stay in Trolls Bane. I like it how it is.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Because having a whole island full of desolate towns except for one is really a good thing, isn't it?
Galahan

Post by Galahan »

No i see his point but don't take everything out of Trolls Bane. Put everything in each town.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

@Juniper - That is incorrect. Silverbrand has a coal mine right next to the city, so it has the fastest and most efficient way to get coal. Varshikar is closest to sand (needed for glassblowing and creating buildings), as well as a mine near their city, about as close as Trolls Bane. Greenbriar has more farms, more trees, more houses, closer to a depot then Trolls Bane.

The reason Trolls Bane is so popular is because no one has the balls to do exciting roleplay in other towns. If someone were to start a revolution in Varshikar I garuntee you, not only would those with current Varshikari characters play more often, but at least 10 other people would make characters just to be involved in the roleplay of a revolt. And so Varshikar would become active. (this was proven to happen with Silverbrand during the earlier revolt, the problem was however, nothing was changed do to GM interferences and so the players who played during that time gave up interest to a game where GMs decide the outcome).

Trolls Bane does not need to be given disadvantages so the other towns will flourish, it is implausible and unfair. Everytime is situated with their own advantages and disadvantages; it is the players of these towns that must make things interesting for people to want to live there actively.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

And Vanima is kind of useless. You forgot to add that Sam. ;)
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Vanima can do a lot of things if the players will make it interesting. Build a fortress out of wood for the elves? Oh wait damien wouldnt like that...
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

...As I said. Everything there kind of has to go through Damien somehow.

EDIT Even my attempted takeover of Vanima with Misjilah. Apparently if she did that the ancient ancestors would leave the island and we would be invaded by undead. (or isn't that close enough to the truth Damy?)
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Talk to Stephen, he is all for challenging old beliefs and stuff.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Theres old beliefs and 'writing' the backgroundstory.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

oh they leave already dji had leave vanima....

...and the problem are the elfs, there are to many to bad played, untypical and evil elfs, dji feel ashamed by his own race and thats why he is in exile