Magic Discussion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Nilo

Magic Discussion

Post by Nilo »

Hullo,

I'm not trying to be an annoying n00b posting about magic, i'm really not... Today was the first day i've really had magic casted on me during a fight, and it surprised me how good it was. It surprised me that a simple magic flame took 3/4 of my health immediately. Also, it surprised me that NO #me's were used during this...

But my main concern is that magic seems to be way too strong. Not only that, but it killed me THREE times when i died....

Code: Select all

Gorge Bloodstench: Walk to the YELLOW CROSS to get resurrected !
And yes, it did take down my skills, and i lost all of my items.
I just thought i'd share this in hopes that magic would be toned DOWN a bit...

Thanks
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

One would think getting caught and body blocked and injured would stop someone from running like nothing happened also, but, oh well.
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

samantha Merrydales, a noobish to magic, one spell causes a death of a warrior with top end skills. Over powered, Hands down.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

I dont see how it was overpowered. Orcs dont strike me as the kind very resistant to magic. Being a high end warrior means nothing in the defense of magic anyways?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

in realistic terms, a warrior as strong as the orcs, would train to resist pain. you would not expect them to die from a fire ball, not with all that armour, maybe spread a few heat around.
Ceigan Ibatha
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Post by Ceigan Ibatha »

Or melt their skin to the metal armor. :wink:
Turonga Mudwater

Post by Turonga Mudwater »

I accedentally died in fire (I didn't see it due to lag) but I don't think it was too strong. It could theoretically be weaker, I wouldn't mind, but it's fine as is. I'm sure of a fireball on armor, but I think she was casting massive flames that would have engulfed the target. I also feel that whoever "Witch!" is has decent if not very good role play. I think the "Ancient" gives it away as to magic being cast, especially in a situation where its a huge mass of people I don't know how necessary it is.

Sorry for my utterly horid RP by the way....

Edit: I hate making more than one post within another: It wasn't any problem Samantha, even had I known I walked into the flame I would have done the same thing. Damn witch needs to burn! :wink:
Last edited by Turonga Mudwater on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Samantha is not that weak in magic. And her attributes are perfect for a mage. And I won't make everytime i cast a flame a #me when the orcs are attacking me without warning and running than away once they are cornered and grabbed.

And Turonga, I am sorry for that. But it gave a reset, so noone of you lost items or skills
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I think you ment "flames are too strong", not "magic is too strong". In fact, the flames have almost nothing to do with the mage spells. Flames are just items like cakes, walls or icebird charms. The mage casts a spell and the spell creates the item "flame".

Basically, I want to say that you should redirect your wrath upon the flame-script, not the spells.

By the way, I tend to agree, flames are overpowered in special when compared to other magic effects like an ordinary fireball.
Samantha Meryadeles

in realistic terms, a warrior as strong as the orcs, would train to resist pain.
That would be essence for magic. you created a char with essence 1, your problem if you die quick through magic. next time dont give all the points in just a few attributes.

And estralis, just one died through a flame, and he kept standing in it. the others were able to run away alive. A mage would die under just a few hits of a warrior, so i dont think the only possibility for a mage to defend himself is overpowered. a mage is a strong creature, and we have not many ingame.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Well, i woulnt say mages have time to #me each timew they send spells. But their spells i must say are overpowered, very. No warriors can possibly have any chance, they kill in 2 blows, and thats for medium mages. And for the perfect stats for a mage, i am certain every mages have max intelligence, willpower, and essence. Why? because magic only takes 3 stats, while fighting takes 5 or so. What about thoses wearing armors? Athian is wearing the best current armor on the game, must better than nightplate, he does so while striking and casting magic same time. So just as example, Salathe fights Athian, athian strikes him with a staff(staves gives defense), his staff hurts him a little bit, and athian in uber armor and staff in nearly invincible, so they both dosent hurt themselves, that mean very long fight. But, in the meantime, Athian would have the time to cast around 8 fireballs, each removing 1/4 of healt of Arameh, who has 8 of essence, most warriors have 3 essence. So Athian win easily. And tell me, who trained the more between Athian and Salathe? Salathe, like 4x more, and who gets pwned like nothing? Magic is overpowered, and soon warriors will all be weaklings if magic resistance isnt implemented. Im saying that and im with the mages in most fights, so im not just crying on my sort.

(Athian and Salathe were examples, im not insulting any of them)
Samantha Meryadeles

Magic needs alot of training, it is the hardest ability to raise and train.

The disadvantage of flames, as strong as they may look, is that youself or your friends can be hurt by them too. one standing noone can move through them, also not your own fighters. it happened more than often enough that your own warriors ran through it, like durgin today.
Gort Greegog

Post by Gort Greegog »

ive been killed by magic twice.....both times less than 5 sec....
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Magic is the hardsest ability to train? Youre making me laughs, it makes a month or 2 its released and mages pwns uberly. If its that hard to raise, them you PGed it, or its already uber at low skill.
GorgeBloodstench

Post by GorgeBloodstench »

And the magic flames were very strong. THe fireball took about 1/4 of my health.. the flames took about 1/2 to 3/4 of my health, and i wasn't standing in them - thats just them being cast.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Well, no one reads my big post up there??
Samantha Meryadeles

it is the hardest skill to train. i have it since more than three weeks, and werent able to get more than 25-35 % in it. i have it at a level a warrior reaches in one week. if he trains every day

And that was the easy part to learn. I train since over a week, and raised my skill by 2-3 %

And Gorge, you were standing. you stood in a flame and attacked me, than you died.

by the way, it is your own fault. i casted no magic, and was not planning to do, until you come to me without #me and attacked me. so dont whine when you attack a mage and than die through magic. dont mess with mages than like this. i would have died a second later, if you two would have attacked together. alone a mage dies against one or two warrior. i was able to survive and defeat one of you because there were 4 other warriors helping my mage char :roll:
Last edited by Samantha Meryadeles on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GorgeBloodstench

Samantha Meryadeles wrote: i have it since more than three weeks
Which proves our point,.... 3 weeks is no time at all, and you already are very good with magic.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

So you tell me you pwn us with that low skill? Imagine when the skill is nearly maxed hahaha, i would prefer that fighting is harder to learn as well, my fighting skills didnt grow in a month and i fight everydays, and you tell me your mage(that could kill me before i even get close) has low skills. I would prefer the fighting skills to be harder to learn, if then they would pwn like mages ones ><, aint it logic?
Samantha Meryadeles

Imagine when the skill is nearly maxed hahaha,
Wrong, because the flame won't become stronger by my char. It is now the strongest i may ever cast.

And Arameh, a week ago you wanted to learn with your powergamed knight warrior char magic from Samantha. So you should maybe be a bit more quiet :roll:
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Magic is suppose to be stronger than fighting. Studying magic should be anyways. With a warrior you just use your body and practice, being a mage is on an entirely different level. Not to mention warriors have little defense against a mage, just like a mage has little defense against a warrior. But I find it pointless to try and argue here, when people with nearly maxed warrior skills who duel 10 times a day are calling someone a powergamer :roll:
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

hmmm funny topic...

.... i will start salso a topic "fighting is to strong" why? becouse a fighter can kill me with three hits....

.... what i wand to say, is that magic isnt strong, magic is only new. since the wipe all players have only to do with fighthing system, so what they do? They build there super action hero slayers, strong, and with high agility and what ever. and know they wonder why there so super high slashing wepon skill doesnt prtect them against magic? That is only amusing and nothing more.

but to the flames. the flames arent to strong to, they only have one problem, they doesnt work with the magis resitence of a char. you can have best magic abilitys and high magic resistence and a flame will hit you like you have essenc and willpower 1 and no magic resistence.
Samantha Meryadeles

Well spoken, Fooser.

To be a mage needs alot of roleplay and work, not just skilling, also work behidn the char and its rp. Before you learn magic you have to roleplay for month, until you get your first rune.

Samantha is a powerful mage. But you can beat her if you catch her alone. or in a bad situation. So stop whining.

To Djironnyma: It will hit you, but do much less damage ;)
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Well, Arameh would have good enought stats to become a mage with 8 intelligence ><, why? cause magic is overpowered. Im not only talking of fires, im talking of fireballs and healing and everything. I am the powergamer? I dont even get my cap once a day, you Athian and some other mages are going to east gate casting wall and stuff like that all day long.
Samantha Meryadeles

Wrong, I did that once or twice, to exchange knowledge ingame with Athian. Stop trying to proof your point with wrong things :roll: .
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

First, for the average character, magic is extraordinarily difficult to acquire. My character has been working at it for a period of 90 days (I like the bold, do you?). He has two runes, which produce a spell that causes no damage, and exhausts more than 55% of his mana. Additionally, to learn magic you must first locate, and acquire someone to teach you. Currently I believe there are about three characters who can actually give runes to their students. As opposed to nearly every character on the island, very few can learn magic.

Secondly, maybe I'm wrong, but being completely immersed in fire is usually a fatal event. I don't think there are many people who recover rapidly from a flamethrower being turned on them. The magic flame is not a campfire; it is comparable to being completely immersed in flame.

Finally, the spell for creating magic flames is not simple, as it was in the previous incarnation of magic. It has four component runes.

Edit: I count from the time to train magic from when it was announced, rather than when runes were released to several player characters.

Edit: This seems like complaining a warrior can kill you easily, with a powerful weapon, when you have very few points in Constitution, or agility, no armour, and absolutely no parry or dodge skill.
Last edited by Korwin on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Arameh has 8 essence, whichj isnt that bad, we cant have a decent fighter and have 14 essence, cause in opposite to magic, fighting takes 5 different attributes, all needs to be over 10 to be even decent. Magiccians all have max int, willpower and essence, and put the rest in constitution and agility for defence. Right, most dies in some hits, but a mage kills a fighter quickly and the opposite whatsoever. Fighters dosent RP? I dont think mages RP a lot more than fighters, some fighters RP more that some mages.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Samantha Meryadeles wrote: To Djironnyma: It will hit you, but do much less damage ;)
like estralis say, a flame is a item, it make on all chars the same damage, your magic resistense play absolutly no role, thats the problem.....
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

I am not only talking of flames
GorgeBloodstench

Well if we want to get into that, Getting hit in the head by a large sword or axe will usualy kill you nearly insantly, depending on how you are hit. ( I say this becasue most people dont wear helmets)

That isn't the point. We are talking about a specific portion of this game which is unbalanced. I was only cast on by a fireball and 2 flames, so i cannot speak for all of magic. i can speak for the flames though, since they killed me (3 times.....which is a bug that needs fixing :) ).

And My orc has trained as a warrior for a good 3 months now, and he's good now. 3 weeks as a mage is nothing, and yet you are very good.