Magic Discussion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Maybe that's simply to create variation? I mean, there are mummies of different melee strenght as well.. Nothing to cry about there.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

we dont talk about diferents wie talk about flys with the magic resitance of a dragon ;)
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Is it possible to dodge magical attacks?
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

No.. but it's possible to send them back at the caster ;)
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

I must confes i didnt read all the pages, so maybe somone have allready posted somthing similar. I think magic should be stronger than a sword, but this dont work as it is now. Soon there will be more Mages than anything else around... Maybe one should have to aply for mages like for the specail races or somthing? Or maybe the academies should have a limit on how many they are allowed to train?
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I dunno, but this was kind of spoken of before the academy even came, that mages should be rare.
And besides, quite a lot will drop out I'm sure.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Maybe there could be a chance for armour to 'absorb' spells, and also a chance to dodge the spell, depending on your dodge skill.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Maybe a tiny chance to dodge, but no armor... I supose you are right about the droping out thing, but never the less I think it should be a quota, and that one should aply. Maybe those few mages that are allowed to pass shoul be even more powerfull... I dunno. t least they should be rare and powerfull.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

And maybe one should have to choose a couple of directions within magic that one has to follow...
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Cuthalion wrote:Maybe a tiny chance to dodge, but no armor... I supose you are right about the droping out thing, but never the less I think it should be a quota, and that one should aply. Maybe those few mages that are allowed to pass shoul be even more powerfull... I dunno. t least they should be rare and powerfull.
Firstly, why not?
Secondly a quota is pretty dumb. No-one wants to have to apply just to be a class of character, and how on earth would you explain the fact that you cannot become a mage because of it ingame?
And there did used to be an academy, and gobiath is not overun with mages.
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

If you mean why not the armor? Easy: If it was a material that absobed magic, it soon would only be magic in this material... Also, this would make some atributes like esence or whatr gives you magic resistance useless. The quota? Not all should be born with the gift of magic, the quota would represent this... Gobiath is pretty much overun by mages, and you should just see how many adepts there are at the academy.

Please Skalib: think about your questions before you ask them. Nothing personal. This is the seckond thread I have said anything, and the seckond time you start asking qustions about everything I say...
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

If you mean why not the armor? Easy: If it was a material that absobed magic, it soon would only be magic in this material... Also, this would make some atributes like esence or whatr gives you magic resistance useless. The quota? Not all should be born with the gift of magic, the quota would represent this... Gobiath is pretty much overun by mages, and you should just see how many adepts there are at the academy.

Please Skalib: think about your questions before you ask them. Nothing personal. This is the seckond thread I have said anything, and the seckond time you start asking qustions about everything I say...
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Quota is a good idea for mages actually. I would apply to play a mage, but then Im not worried I will be rejected.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Nalzaxx wrote:Quota is a good idea for mages actually. I would apply to play a mage, but then Im not worried I will be rejected.

Well, isn't the amount of mages already being regulated by the presence of the Academy?
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Nalzaxx wrote:Quota is a good idea for mages actually. I would apply to play a mage, but then Im not worried I will be rejected.

Well, isn't the amount of mages already being regulated by the presence of the Academy? Or are the runes handed to everyone?
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

No, since everyone who applys at the academy will be taken and taught magic if he doesnt behave too stupid. unimportant who or what the char is
Caldrion Sternenglanz

Post by Caldrion Sternenglanz »

yes, the academy is now netral...

absolute...
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Cuthalion wrote:If you mean why not the armor? Easy: If it was a material that absobed magic, it soon would only be magic in this material... Also, this would make some atributes like esence or whatr gives you magic resistance useless. The quota? Not all should be born with the gift of magic, the quota would represent this... Gobiath is pretty much overun by mages, and you should just see how many adepts there are at the academy.

I wouldn't if you would actually explain yourself properly..... It is all very well putting opinions, but no-one will listen if you don't give reasons.
And perhaps it is the second suggestion you make that I disagree with. Is that allowed now?
note: I thought about that question before i asked it

And a quota is stupid really because it will just make being a mage an exclusive club, which is unfair on everyone noot in the club. And you say Gobiath is overun with mages? I can think of perhaps 7 or 8 at a push.....And there did used to be an acedmy aswell...
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

I do explain, and it does not seem anybody else have a problem understanding... It is that way with some races at the moment, and that works perfectly fine. If you feel that this excludes you from a club... Well, then that is your problem. This way only good and experienced roleplayers would get to play them, and everyone could send in an aply. If they are rejected, they will just have to wait, and maybe roleplay some more, for the experience. Having mages who roleplay well, will be good for everyone. Maybe you think everybody should be kings as well? Like fooser?
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

I do explain, and it does not seem anybody else have a problem understanding... It is that way with some races at the moment, and that works perfectly fine. If you feel that this excludes you from a club... Well, then that is your problem. This way only good and experienced roleplayers would get to play them, and everyone could send in an aply. If they are rejected, they will just have to wait, and maybe roleplay some more, for the experience. Having mages who roleplay well, will be good for everyone. Maybe you think everybody should be kings as well? Like fooser?
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

Sorry it came twice, it didnt react=(
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Cuthalion wrote:Maybe a tiny chance to dodge, but no armor
Where do you explain anything there? And I'm really not worried I wouldn't get accepted. Let me give you a really harsh example your quota would bring. A current adept, decent roleplayer, kicked out because there are too many mages. It just smacks of unfairness.

And when did any question of races come into play? That is not the issue for me.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

A large part of the adepts will quite surely drop out or what ever.
But I do agree on the fact that a mage should atleast be able to roleplay reasonably. Wich some of the adepts seem not to do.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

*cough*POWERGAMMERS!!!!!11111!!!*cough* :roll: ...........
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

And what does that have to do with the matter? And are you calling me a powergamer here?
Also I wasn't replying to the last post you made, obviously.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

umm...... I hate it when I must explain jokes to people.
Basically I was simply stating what you had said in your last post, by implying they were bad roleplayers I assumed you knew that there have been incidents of powergaming in the academy, so I was saying what you said, but much less politely. And infact stating that some mage players are powergamers, and not yourself........ Happy now? :wink:
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Well, sorry then.
I don't know about mages powergaming, I hardly get to go, or go ingame lately, due to school, and due to the fact that it can take upto an hour to even find someone who will not just walk past you without a word.
Paladin of Light

Post by Paladin of Light »

Kevin Lightdot wrote:Well, sorry then.
I don't know about mages powergaming, I hardly get to go, or go ingame lately, due to school, and due to the fact that it can take upto an hour to even find someone who will not just walk past you without a word.
Find me! I love to RP. I need more people who love to RP!
Cuthalion

Post by Cuthalion »

I'll rp with you=) And Skaalib? Noone else seems to have a problem understanding me. I agree, I did not explain why it maybe should be a small chance to dodge, but I thought it was rather obvious. If I ever write somthing that is hard to understand, or badly exaplained, please ask. But Skalib, I am getting tired of having to explain everything to you, not meaning to be harsh here. I think I will ignore you as much as posible from now on, unless you really have somthing to say, and not just want to say SOMTHING.
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

Ok, you can do that, and I'll try to ignore the string of double and triple posts.