Magic Discussion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Athian

Post by Athian »

don't think so Baurus

who exactly is your veiw valid? care to elaborate?
xBaurusx

Post by xBaurusx »

well warriors kind of have to go close, if mages can run and attack, then they can kill warriors by just running. archers can do the same.
Athian

Post by Athian »

the process of turn-run-turn-cast and repeat isn't as quick as you think it is. wands are the only thing that make it any faster

archers kill mages becuase your common mage has about one skill point in parry or dodge no corresponing stats to go with them and low constitution. the mages best friend is range when it comes to fighting. but an arrow has range as well, for a mage it's no different then being hit with a melee weapon only that they can't stand ten paces away and be safe.

warriors, sheilded and armored. with there high constituion and parry and dodge abilities can actually manage to push right up to an archer. they have two skills used in avoiding blows (parry/dodge) which both come into play against archers. also archers don't have endless arrows. they stands best chance to beating the archer because they can use equipment and weapons to the fullest extent
Last edited by Athian on Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Turn-run-turn-cast doesn't work. I only have 4 agility remembers? :wink:
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Athian wrote:the process of turn-run-turn-cast and repeat isn't as quick as you think it is. wands are the only thing that make it any faster

archers kill mages becuase your common mage has about one skill point in parry or dodge no corresponing stats to go with them and low constitution. the mages best friend is range when it comes to fighting. but an arrow has range as well, for a mage it's no different then being hit with a melee weapon only that they can't stand ten paces away and be safe.

warriors, sheilded and armored. with there high constituion and parry and dodge abilities can actually manage to push right up to an archer. they have two skills used in avoiding blows (parry/dodge) which both come into play against archers. also archers don't have endless arrows. they stands best chance to beating the archer because they can use equipment and weapons to the fullest extent
It's like rock paper scissors :-P
Athian

Post by Athian »

there are exceptions in each catagory, but yea it pretty much is a just like rock paper scissors.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

unfortunately, we have way too many rocks, a small number of paper, and hardly any scissors if you get what im saying here :P
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I want to learn ancient from Aokan........... Why shouldn't evil chars be able to learn magic w/o gm assistance?
Samantha Meryadeles

Post by Samantha Meryadeles »

Because evil chars tend more to use their magic against others than good ones. and we dont want to see every char who claims to be evil going on rampage with their magic.
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Aslong as they have an RP reason I would think its fine.
Samantha Meryadeles

For many evil chars "being evil" is enough rp reason for them to kill others.

just look at karguk going on killing sprees
Jon Childs
Location: Location not edited since 5/12/05-Join me in my quest for locations that are overly long and dated

Post by Jon Childs »

Magic sucks unless your the person who can cast it. Thats my opinion xD

And Gra is evil...But he doesn't kill anyone ATM.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

a real evil car isnt evil, becouse he think all others are evil
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Thats a realy good point.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

But one example doesn't prove a point. It all depends on the character.
Dante Drackendoor_

Post by Dante Drackendoor_ »

Take Dante...He looks evil, but he's not....He even has a red glimmer in his eyes!
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

then why is a character that thinks he is good and says he is good considered not childish :?

lets try not to critize other's roleplay.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

"I am good I fight the evil"

that is not childish?
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

it isnt... but the one who say that musnt be good that is the point. to be good means to think you are right in your wiev of the world and the outhers are wrong, that is what a "evil" char think and a "good" one..... and that why nearly evry char must think in my opion that he is a good hero
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

a character had been abused by good knights because of his beliefs. he accepts then that he is evil and will cause as much pain as possible so others will know how he feels?

that doesn't sound like childish roleplay. childish roleplay is running around towards any gm controlled monster becuase there may be a quest that will give them rewards.
Cervius Triri

Post by Cervius Triri »

I agree and disagree with both of you. For one I'm tired with everyone being the "On my honor!" or "May my arrow fly true with justice!" good guys. But is it childish roleplay? No. But its bland and boring. Also, evil characters can be well played either way. Its more likely that people will think they are in the right, but there is always the bad guy who just likes doing "bad" things because other people get hurt by it.

Also, a perfect example of childish roleplay was this wolf I saw recently.
Everybody it has a name! Lets chase it! Woo I'm gunna get "phat loot"

*sigh*
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

This has nothing to do with the magic system.
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Yeah! This is a discussion of how unfair magic is and how overpowered it is. :wink:
Jon Childs
Location: Location not edited since 5/12/05-Join me in my quest for locations that are overly long and dated

Post by Jon Childs »

Yeah but the people who use it are probably like "Nooo, magic is way to weak...Make it stronger so we can kill everyone, yeah....Really un-medieval"
Last edited by Jon Childs on Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samantha Meryadeles

Um...no...that said not a single one of us :roll:

Maybe you can stay by topic and truth and not false assumptions?
Jon Childs

Post by Jon Childs »

Bye Galim?
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Get a life Jon. :roll:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Cliu Beothach wrote:But one example doesn't prove a point. It all depends on the character.
Agreed; when Aokan came into Troll's Bane, he didn't go on a killing spree did he? In fact, I quote:
Aokan Folkbjorn: I don't want to overwhelm them
Aokan Folkbjorn (w): ((I really try and not do so much stuff, people might fret))
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST!!!
Xalliar wrote:Every well-played bad char is good in his own opinion.
A char who is evil just because he wants to be evil is crap and very, very chidlish.
Well, not necessarily. William wants to join the evil side because he is a bit misunderstood, he's never taken seriously, many dislike him and he feels weak. Now if he got magic, he wouldn't go round blitzing people; he'd learn constructive magic, which he never got the chance to do learning from someone good. Yes, if he felt the need he would probably summon a couple of mummies or cast a fire spell at someone, but how often does William attack someone, reminding you that William has never once killed someone and the only time he would have attacked to the death was with Capus. He's not really evil, just misunderstood. He thinks he's evil, he'd like to be evil, but he's not the type of person who causes mayhem. I'd just like him to learn magic, which he'd use in the same way everyone else uses it. Offensive magic would be used in defense or extreme circumstances etc. I think this is quite fair frankly.
Jon Childs

Post by Jon Childs »

Misjbar wrote:Get a life Jon. :roll:
I do my racing, thats my life.

Anyway on topic...

I only like magic if I can use it xD.....So lets say if I don't get my char to learn it, I won't like it, if I do, I'll like it...I am very bias aswell.