thieving

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Jori
Location: How do I know? Maybe I'm not where I htink I am. Or maybe I'm somewhere I think I'm not...

thieving

Post by Jori »

somewhere I heard that thieving skills like pickpocketing or others would be implemented. Is this true? And if so, are they implemented yet?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

nope
Poots

Post by Poots »

for now, just rp it.
Jori
Location: How do I know? Maybe I'm not where I htink I am. Or maybe I'm somewhere I think I'm not...

Post by Jori »

:( oh well... Maybe someday. Guess I'll jsut need to rp it like poots said.
Poots

Post by Poots »

personally, I think that there should never be a skill, which is what I think is going to happen. rping makes it so much funner, plus there would be a great boost of thieves if it was a skill, I mean who wouldn't want to be a master thief?
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

it shouldnt ever be a skill. It should be pure rp, and if people dont even try to rp it with you (like they just ignore your rp of it, not that they say they spot you) you report them. I myself rp with my thief, and most people cooperate with it.
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I agree it shouldn't be made a skill. Because then we'll get some of the hardcore Powergamers on this thing becoming experts in pickpocketing, although they play as knights who act like they're neutral and uncaring, but defend the town at every cost. :roll:
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Agreed.

Dont forget asking for friendly duels constantly, with allies and enemies alike, and pretending it isnt for skill or showing off.
Karguk Inkathurg

Post by Karguk Inkathurg »

Yeah i think it's best for roleplay. Like the other day i was robbed (RP) and then me and Retlak chased him down and Roleplayed beating him. I think it shouldn't be a skill to because then you would lose all your money in one quick swipe. Oh yeah and nice Roleplay Furacur ( The guy that rped stealing)
Miklorius

Post by Miklorius »

Making stealing just a normal skill would indeed hit the balance of the game. If all members in a robbery make good RP (Furacur!) it is okay, although I would never give a very good item as stolen away...

Maybe there could be a skill to see the content of a character's belt? Or just implement some die-rolling-feature... ("#roll") to support RPing with a bit of rules.

Thief looks at a character's belt and sees the items.
He OOCed that he wanna steal item X.
Both characters could use "roll" now... if the thief has a higher result, the item should given to him.
Durgin

Post by Durgin »

umm no....Rp all the way...I hope to meet a thief yet. Odd how being an rp theif actuall has a strange sense of resect about it isn't it?
Caeldrian

Post by Caeldrian »

A thief skill would eventually be incredibly annoying. All thieves need is good rp (from both players involved), not skills.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Ill say this, if thieving is ever made a skill, im quitting illarion....
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

You'd better start packing your bags then, Ules. A thieving skillset is currently on the list of things to get done. If I'm correct, a functional thieving skill was in place before, but was withdrawn to work out some bugs.

So long.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

LoL, ouch..
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Well, geuss my days are numbered. i was serious. Thieving shouldnt be a skill, its just stupid. This game's becoming less and less rp. First languages went to skill, now this....
Arameh

Post by Arameh »

Not really, if we see it the other way, when its only RP, you will never steal anything precious. Example, youre the guy getting stolen, will you ever give the robber 10 silvers? No, you will give him something like a gem, or some coppers, most peoples gives stuff on theses sort of RP, but they chose what they give. A thieving system "could" be implemented, but it would need to be very very good, or else we better keep RPing it. Like that we cant steal very heavy things like armors and hammers, and that if we fail then it writes something like "xxxxx tryied to rob yyyyyy and failed, something similar. But just putting up a thieving thing in the game, that with it we can steal anything and powergame the skill, it woulnt be any good, just my advice.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

You won't get anything anyway, its absurd to let them steal anything equipped, and how many people keep valuables in their sack? Well, if its implemented maybe you'll get lucky and pickpocket a gm, otherwise potions and food will probobly be it, maybe a key. I'm sort of divided on it.
Belgram
Location: If I were a guy i'd be gay for Jake (and Jeremy Sumpter)

Post by Belgram »

What would happen if you picked a Gm? I've seen screens from GMS and they mostly have them cemented things in their bags or picklocks, both very power items.
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

You wouldn't be able to pickpocket a GM. Before you were even beside the GM, they'd be on the other side of the island.
Durgin

Post by Durgin »

looks like my chars will stop carrying anything of value. :roll: Atleast if someone were to rp I would probably give them some money or an item, but skill set comes and they won't get anything from me.
Jori

Post by Jori »

Well, think about it. In medieval times thieves were quite common (I myself have a common thief somewhere far down my family tree). People wouldnt carry valuables around with them because of fear of theft. Besides a thieving skill would be VERY hard to get good at because if you arent good at it then you will be caught often which results in someone attacking you or calling guards. Then you die or are sent to jail and if you die your skill goes down so it is hard to even get the skilll up at all.
Durgin

Post by Durgin »

yea except one big difference...in midevil times if you were caught and killed....you died.....no more practicing to be a thief.
Avareniah

Post by Avareniah »

Or they cut off your hand.

OMG! Can we have skill for someone to cut off a thief's hand??
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Avareniah wrote:Or they cut off your hand.

And a theifs hand item to put in a bag when theyre done.
Avareniah

Post by Avareniah »

Fooser wrote:
Avareniah wrote:Or they cut off your hand.

And a theifs hand item to put in a bag when theyre done.
YESH! And after a certain time, you will be able to make it into an amulet. With a crazy failure rate. >.>
Durgin

Post by Durgin »

lol Go Avareniah!! I want to be a master hand remover. All you need is a dull knife and a tolerance for blood. Good thing Dwarves have a high constitution. :lol:
Jori

Post by Jori »

SO if its the killing option instead is there a thief killing skill and dead thief body item?
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Don't forget the 'steal thief corpse' skill. And the 'thief corpse storage' skill. And the 'thief corpse compost heap-making skill'.
Poots

Post by Poots »

not all peeps give out crap for thieves, sometimes, if you rp well enough, they can make it worth your while.

you also have to think how rich the person is. a total noob isn't going to give you 5 silvers for robbing him.