thieving

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Cliu Beothach wrote:
falco1029 wrote:
Cliu Beothach wrote: Seeing as the points were awarded so arbitrarily, I think I will add my own categories.

Who will win overcome the other (thief of victim) - 100000 points
Way to easy to force RP - 98 points
Can't work on shop merchants and such - 100 points

See, all the little "bad/good sides" of all RP fighting can transfer to RP thievery. It is a simple reason which I have stated since my FIRST post in the topic.
The first problem i stated in the thievery one as catching the thief too easily, way to miss that :roll:. You cant force rp thievery because geuss what? Items are coded. Cant rp that item into your bag no matter how hard you try. If you try force rping the person just doesnt give you the item, get it? And as for stealing from npc's, Thats way too easy toa buse, and its a plus that you cant do that, if anything.
#me rips the bag off his shoulder and runs.

A very awkard rping moment, and FORCED rp. It is the same in fighting you can always type #me kills him, but it will be no the same level as force rping in thievery.
In rp fightin, force rp isuppose just goes back to the agreeing who wins, but with rp thievery, you can try force rping, it wont do anything. If you say #me rips the bag off his shoulder and runs, the person will ignore it, because it's force rp, and nothing happens.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Force rp in fighting won't do anything as well. If you dont want to react while someone tries to force rob you, then why should you not ignore it in rp fighting?
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

rp fighting is pure rp, no technical things interfere, so it causes many many problems. While with thievery, you have the item system in the way of force rp. I cant explain this any clearer, so if you dont agree with this then ill just stop arguing unless you actually bring up a good point.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

falco1029 wrote:rp fighting is pure rp, no technical things interfere, so it causes many many problems. While with thievery, you have the item system in the way of force rp. I cant explain this any clearer, so if you dont agree with this then ill just stop arguing unless you actually bring up a good point.
So classic.

If we are to compare the two, then we must assume all items are RPed as well, just as health, weapons, and other things in fighting are Rp'ed. Therefore, they are the same.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Cliu Beothach wrote:
falco1029 wrote:rp fighting is pure rp, no technical things interfere, so it causes many many problems. While with thievery, you have the item system in the way of force rp. I cant explain this any clearer, so if you dont agree with this then ill just stop arguing unless you actually bring up a good point.
So classic.

If we are to compare the two, then we must assume all items are RPed as well, just as health, weapons, and other things in fighting are Rp'ed. Therefore, they are the same.
Um, this argument is about if thievery should be a skill, or kept how it is, so how the heck does item rp come into play here? The fighting thing was a comparison, not meant to be an exactly the same thing. No, your attempt of leveling this holds no ground. nice try though, but it isnt related.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

How does it come into play?!

You just said that the difference between RP fighting and RP Robbing is one is PURE rp, while one is more technical (items), but to be seen as equal all must be RP. Items, health, everything is left up to #me's.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

you were comparing CURRENT thieving types to rp fighting, it isnt my fault they arent on level ground. You cant change what we're arguing over, it doesnt make sense. To make them equal, you have to change the rp fighting example, not the thievery, as the thievery is whats being discussed.

You wouldnt make a very good lawyer.

Cliu: "I say that he isnt a murderer"

other guy: "But we have evidence saying he is"

Cliu: "But that isnt on equal grounds, we dont have as much evidence saying he isnt, so we cant use that!"

:roll:
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I see, and going into a court room saying to the defendent "You are stupid and know nothing. I won't go any further until you make sense" is a much better strategy.

We degenerated to a whole different topic, don't blame just me. My original point was that a skill wouldn't be so bad.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Cliu Beothach wrote:I see, and going into a court room saying to the defendent "You are stupid and know nothing. I won't go any further until you make sense" is a much better strategy.

We degenerated to a whole different topic, don't blame just me. My original point was that a skill wouldn't be so bad.
I wouldnt go into the court room saying that, i'd say it to him after he said i cant use my evidence becaus eit puts us on different playing fields ;)

And you never gave evidence to your original point. At leats none that i didnt throw right back at you. Expertly i must say ;)
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Indeed, your starkness is only overshadowed by your chutzpah. I said that a thieving skill would set the playing field equal. It would do the same as it did to fighting, simply because it ENFORCES the attributes sets. RP can still be employed with a skill.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Cliu Beothach wrote:Indeed, your starkness is only overshadowed by your chutzpah. I said that a thieving skill would set the playing field equal. It would do the same as it did to fighting, simply because it ENFORCES the attributes sets. RP can still be employed with a skill.
*looks up chutzpah real quick*

anyway, you never said that. You just offered your first bit of evidence. Now accept mine cus we're on level playing fields now ;).

Kidding aside, most thieves will have the proper attributes anyway because dagger fighting seems to use the same things thiefing would (that is, dexterity and perception). Same with poison usage i believe. Not that my thief does either very often (never does poison as he cant really get it easily). And if they dont, and they try stealing, with a giant hammer, you !gm them, k?

And as for setting the playing field equal, thieves usually use fighting, particularly with daggers, and there's poisoning too. So again, most thieves already have their attribute sets enforced.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

That isn't really robbery then is it. It is just fighting.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

I know, im saying they already have attributes where they would for a thieving skill. And i have to go for now )bed), so dont expect me to respond to whatever you say next ;)
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I'm headed there too.

Fighting and stealing would use different attributes. I wont be back for a long time now :D
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

K im back

If the person is truoly playing a thief, theyd have attributes that are good for dagger fighting, which are perception and dexterity (though i think strength is in there too), and what attributes are used for thieving (or likely wopuld be i should say)? Dexterirty and perception.
Jori
Location: How do I know? Maybe I'm not where I htink I am. Or maybe I'm somewhere I think I'm not...

Post by Jori »

Why do the threads I start always turn into flame wars??? :evil:

This is not a court room, it's a public thread so of course you have the right to... discuss... this here and I have no right to make you stop arguing on a thread but I think a lot of people would appreciate it if you talked about this on msn messenger or with PMs. :wink:

Anyway, you CAN rp fighting and thieving both and just as we have people rp fighting even with the fighting system in place I'm sure that people would rp thieving if there was a skillset for that too. If people want to rp thieving or fighting thats their choice, they get to deal with the difficulties of it and do it if they want. Their choice how they rp, nobody else's. :)
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Jori wrote:Why do the threads I start always turn into flame wars??? :evil:

This is not a court room, it's a public thread so of course you have the right to... discuss... this here and I have no right to make you stop arguing on a thread but I think a lot of people would appreciate it if you talked about this on msn messenger or with PMs. :wink:

Anyway, you CAN rp fighting and thieving both and just as we have people rp fighting even with the fighting system in place I'm sure that people would rp thieving if there was a skillset for that too. If people want to rp thieving or fighting thats their choice, they get to deal with the difficulties of it and do it if they want. Their choice how they rp, nobody else's. :)
i think we're done for now anyway. Not much else to say, as we obviously wont convince each other
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Hmm, one thing i wouldnt be against would be a sneak attack type skill, as someone with good sneak attacks could pull off a knife to the throat type deal, which currently can only be rpd, and if soemone doesnt cooperate you get a normal attack rate, which isnt always the best
Dusk

Post by Dusk »

In ways that is being implemented, If you get the right person, you can sneak up and attack them in the back, dealing twice the ammount of normal damage. The side is 1.5x i think o.O It's called "Back attack" Also, dagger fighting will become more hits per attempts, since they are more accurate, and they will become faster...i think.

But also realise, that your sneak attack leaves few chances for Rp. Because if they stay still, they are dead. And if they move, they get bitched at. The thing about dagger fighters is, we have to wait for the update to get the playing field leveled. Plain and simple as that.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

Ah yes, forgot about that, I hope its set so you cant attack unless you're at least facing the person. Another thing thatd be nice is a lockpicking skill, that can be done with any sharp item, but is enhanced with an actual lockpick :). Cureently you need a gm to lockpick. I contacted Nitram about letting me make one, and seeing the keylock system, but he's been ignoring me lately....:P
Olaf Tingvatn

im a thief

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

and i just #me snatches "and i type in whatever is on the ground" and takes of when i steal..RP enough?some might not think so...but i do..i get a biiig kick out of beeing a thief...mwuhahahahahahaahh! :twisted: :P 8)
The great one

Post by The great one »

2 years too late buddy...
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Yeah useless noob thread necromancy, mods best friends.
The Returner

Post by The Returner »

*theives the thread and turns it into flowery english thread*
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

The Returner wrote:*theives the thread and turns it into flowery english thread*
I agree with Cromwell.
Vern Kron

Re: im a thief

Post by Vern Kron »

Olaf Tingvatn wrote:and i just #me snatches "and i type in whatever is on the ground" and takes of when i steal..RP enough?some might not think so...but i do..i get a biiig kick out of beeing a thief...mwuhahahahahahaahh! :twisted: :P 8)
Thats actually poor rp, because I -doubt- that a person handing an object to anouther would be able to have that item -stolen- from both of them. It seems more like just abusing the system.
Basal

Post by Basal »

Vern I disagree, the system doesn't have you "hand" things around, it has you drop them on the ground. So a thief snatching things from the ground is playing with the system not against it. Furthermore, oftentimes, especially when the trading is done in large numbers like say a pile of hundreds of coal, then it would only make sense for the characters to be actually unloading them onto the ground for transferral.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Its against the system not "with" it, who would throw something on the ground and let others people pick it up, thats stupid, even with heavy loads normally one holds the back and waits ill the other got a firm grip on it, everyone who plays thieving like that should be pk'ed for good...because thats playing with the system too eh?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Basal wrote:Vern I disagree, the system doesn't have you "hand" things around, it has you drop them on the ground.
Just because (currently) dropping things on the ground is the only way for handing things to another player, doesn't mean you can abuse of it.

"Here, take this sword!"
"B...but, I can't.. drop it on the floor"
"Finally, I have the sword!"

The whole 'dropping on the ground' thing should only be for heavy loads, which would probably be impossible to grab and run away with eitherway... unless you want to grab 4 units of coal from a large bag; but stuff like coins would NOT be logically (or RP-wise) dropped on the floor.
dellakim thornbrae

Re: im a thief

Post by dellakim thornbrae »

Olaf Tingvatn wrote:and i just #me snatches "and i type in whatever is on the ground" and takes of when i steal..RP enough?some might not think so...but i do..i get a biiig kick out of beeing a thief...mwuhahahahahahaahh! :twisted: :P 8)

Im assuming it was you that snatched three silvers I "handed" to someone during a trade? There is no way i would place three silver on the floor so it was very bad rp to just snatch it and run.