Suggestion: Race-only weapon

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Llama

Suggestion: Race-only weapon

Post by Llama »

A suggestion.

Having a 'special' weapon or armor for each race, which is stronger than the others, but can only be created, and only be used by a member of that race.

For example, the elves would have trained archery to a degree where they make the best bows, however because of their large size (they are after all , elves) they can only be wielded by elves, and naturally only elves can create them.

My suggestions for the items are these (these are just simple ideas, its the concept that matters):

Dwarven Axe : An axe which needs a low centre of gravity to weild, otherwise wearer will topple over.
Elven Large Bow: An elven bow
Hafling Shortsword: A very fast sword for the halfling in trouble, giving him chance to run
Orc Warhammer: A heavy hammer which only orcs can wield
Water Armor (for lizards) : designed for a lizard's body (with a hole for tha tail, and the shape for the head)
Human sword: A 'normal' sword which does more damage

ah you get the idea...
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Well it sounds good, especially the Orc warhammer, since thats what Retlak only uses hehe
Vulcha

Post by Vulcha »

you could have armour for races that makes them look the same for wars and the like, itll make em look like a warband :D
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Sounds more than silly to me. Who says I cannot utilise vietnamese guns? Who says dogs cannot wear human clothing to a certain extent (they might not like it, ofcourse). Ofcourse an elf could use that halfling shortsword, or that human sword for that matter.

This idea is silly, and illogical in my opinion.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I have to agree to a degree. I highly doubt that Durgin, a dwarf, could ever wear a Lizard man's armor or for that matter shoot an elven bow. However, if you were to make it so the dwarven and halflings could interchange their special weapons and then humans, orcs, elves, and lizard men could all utilize eacothers special weapons then you would create an unnecissary shift in power. I do think though that if they were treasured items and only given to certain people who have attained certain qualifications, then it would make sense. In that way it would be most difficult for anyone to steal it anyway. Perhaps.....and this is just an idea, but they could be presented to the people, but after that if it touches the gound it is immediately ivicerated through some sort of magical spell that makes sure that it never falls into enemy hands.
Gabon Corad

Post by Gabon Corad »

well i would like orc super axe or something cause Gabons an axe wealder...Ret sorry but gabons more qualfied :lol:

But i do like the idea to a certain extent, but ( unless only a few get the wepons/ armor) what stops all of the race from using the same wepons, say it is war hammers, Gabon is only skilled with slashing, he does have some concussion but that really doesnt make sence because hes always used axes and to change would be very wierd. I like the idea to a certain extent but there are so many thinks countering this idea i dont really see how it could be done.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Armor as a race only weapon?
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Unless these things are enchanted by mages to where only the person enchanted to can weild it, which has nothing to do with your proposal, then theres no sense. Thats like saying a halfling can't wield a tower shield, he can, it just needs to be made smaller.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

but if you were to make special tower shields for lizard men the halfing would never be able to use it. unless he cut it in half. :lol:
Athian

Post by Athian »

there's no point to it frankly. we don't need it. furthermore it doesnt go all ways. sure a halfing couldn't use a gaint shield, but what stops a lizard or an orc from using a human sword. or a strong armed human using an Elven bow. anatomical differences frankly aren't a good enough reason for the weapons to be specialized to races, because not every race would be effected by it. nor is every individual of said race exactly the same

p.s.

super powerful heavy lizard armor. major sinkage :wink:
Caranthir the great

Post by Caranthir the great »

Athian wrote:there's no point to it frankly. we don't need it. furthermore it doesnt go all ways. sure a halfing couldn't use a gaint shield, but what stops a lizard or an orc from using a human sword. or a strong armed human using an Elven bow. anatomical differences frankly aren't a good enough reason for the weapons to be specialized to races, because not every race would be effected by it. nor is every individual of said race exactly the same

p.s.

super powerful heavy lizard armor. major sinkage :wink:
Word. There is no logical explanation why a very strong human would not be able to wield an orcish warhammer whereas some feeble orc could. It would be a bit silly, don't you agree?

If there were any "race-specific" weapons et cetera, that would probably hint towards a special tradition or manner of manufactoring (not the actual ability of making it, tho..) such thing, and not to the physical ability to use it.
Dinendal Narmolanya

Post by Dinendal Narmolanya »

Not to say the concept of Race only items is a bad thing, but I think if you're going to suggest race affiliated items, atleast consider that, for example, not all elves are going to use bows. So maybe something like Elven armour, swords, bows etc etc so that everyones playing style can be accomodated for.

But then there a lot of items that would have to be made and so on and so forth and whether or not this is practical to do is questionable.
Last edited by Dinendal Narmolanya on Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liles

Post by Liles »

I don't think items are the answer but skills to each race, like:

Elves.
Longer bow range and power
Faster slashing with weapons
Faster than others on dirt
Better fletchers

Humans
Good parry and slashing skill, average speed.
Good swing strengh with hammers and axes
Alright smithing skills
Fastest on pathing

You get the point
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I like Liles idea better. :twisted: Super mega dwarf axe swing!!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Ok you immagine a dwarf weilding a 2m bow? designed for a 2 meter elf?

Ok instead of making them race only, make them hard to use for other races. I mean you can still wear armor with a hole in it (for lizards) but you'll hurt more; you can try to wield a heavy axe, but... not going to swing it like an orc.
Vulcha

Post by Vulcha »

i think the idea of the thread was a race only weapon so why is the conversation on halflings holding a lizard weapon ect?!?!?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gromblun

Post by Gromblun »

i think you should have things like orc axe, orc warhammer, orc sword ect. you may think that would be pointless but they could look different
Athian

Post by Athian »

oh certainly, i'm sure the creators have plenty of time to waste on making weapons graphic's for each individual race along with average weapons that all can use. and of course balancing them so that they are fair and don't give any one race more power then another. it's not such a simple thing to do when you think about it. which is why even if the idea gets taken in at some point it wouldn't be implimented any time soon
Pocal

Post by Pocal »

Gromblun wrote:i think you should have things like orc axe, orc warhammer, orc sword ect. you may think that would be pointless but they could look different
there is an ork axe
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

As there is a dwarven axe and an elven bow. And a halfling-pan ;-)

I fail to see the point of this (very old) proposal. All it would "add" is more technical limits and lots, lots, lots of work for the technical crew to implement that a you get a message like "You cannot use that sword because you are an orc."
Vulcha

Post by Vulcha »

ahh tooshay, anyway.....
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I also don't like the idea. Every Illarion race comes with two legs, two arms and a torso. Unless lizard people can pop spikes from their knuckles or some shite, it wouldn't make sense to have racial weapons.
Poots

Post by Poots »

it would be cool, but you guys get too far into realism. realism is good, but soon, with your ideas, you'll have to go to the bathroom ingame. so what if it's a little unreal. so are lizardmen and halflings. but still two reasons against this: gm's said because they do the work, and everyone would have the same weapons
Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

I'm not using a realism argument, I just really think it's dopey.

"You can't use this weapon 'cause you're not an elf." So, what is preventing a human from holding that "Elven only" weapon? Some magical, purple force field of pWnage? They can grip things too, just like elves.

Besides, it wouldn't serve a purpose except more work for the developers. In the end, the combat system should be balanced so that, no matter what your preference is, it all comes down to skills and attributes.
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

This topic has been discussed for years and years, almost being raised annually. I'll lock this, not because it breaks any rules, but because we're aware of the proposal.