Character Names

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Moirear Sian

Character Names

Post by Moirear Sian »

I'm thinking the GMs should be more careful when accepting names.

Or regularly go over the list of characters in the database.

No offense to whoever is behind the character, but

"Vincent Valentine"

is, errr... no comment on what I think about that.
Let's say it just infringes some rules, and I see this kind of thing about once every week or two.

Cheers,
Eric
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Moirear, I do not know anything about this player wether he/she can roleplay well or not. But I do not think this is a very large issue, I mean, wether or not the person's name is a good name or not isn't a very big issue ingame is it? I think the names we don't want ingame include numbers or questions marks and the such. Personally, I think it is an interesting name, the name gives you something to play with in your imagination.
Dónal Mason

Post by Dónal Mason »

Yet the name is from a character in Final Fantasy 7. The game was very popular, and the name is against the namerules.

And the only thing I can imagine from that name is a vampire who uses guns.
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

I do not play Final Fantasy so I wouldn't know...
Galim

Post by Galim »

That name is also the name of a new game that will come, its the name of the mainchara, who is the already named Vincent.

It is higly against the namerule
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Vincent on it's own would not be a violation of the namerules though. There are many people (atleast in the Netherlands (I love making my own country an example)), that are named Vincent.
Galim

Post by Galim »

But it is not vincent alone, it is the full name.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

I would not have said anything against "Vick Valentine", let's put it that way.

But after having pointed "Musashi" and "Raistlin" out to the GMs in the recent past, I would have thought they are a bit more careful.
Galim

Post by Galim »

Mephistus
Isn't much better. Mephistos from Faust, take the O, change it to U and ready *sighs*
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I see no problem with any of the mentioned names. If you are referring to rule #13, well, "very famous" means that the names are known to a lot of peoples. A lot.

Don't be too picky. This is still a game. I don't want to see DaRk UberL0rd-names, but a Vincent whatsoever is OK for me and I will continue to accept such names.

Just a sidenote why we made up this rule: Before this rule was made, there was no justification to reject names like "Harry Potter" or "Gandalf". But we did, thus, we were not true to our own rules.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

He is right. We should welcome newcomers instead of shoving them off.
Galim

Post by Galim »

Ergebnisse 1 - 10 von ungefähr 726.000 für Vincent Valentine. (0,08 Sekunden
726000 hits is not famous enough for you?

Sorry, but i have to see that the wish of you gms to have more player changed into something that means that everyone is allowed as long as his name isn't known by a few millions peoples and a slong a sit is a name, right?

I met some of that newer players ingame, their rp is terrible, I tried to rp with them and explained them what to do better, i don't saw any success with my tries yet. I have the feeling that the gm's control less harsh because they want with every possible method more palyers ingame.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I'm not trying to be a booger here but Final Fantasy 7 is the most popular game of its genre. I don't play it and I still know who VV is. Raistlin? COME ON!!! He's the BIGGEST character in the DragonLance history. But whos to say that if the players are taking names from stories they're creating a whole new character? I can't go in game and see a Raistlin tell a joke and believe it. I can't go in game and see a Raistlin be a carpenter or anything but a skinny muscle-less mage. Vincent Valentine has his own story and his own personality, as does Raistlin. Those aren't the only names that break your own rules but those are the ones that are mentioned. They're very famous names in the United States.

The reason my char Maj's name is Maj is because I didn't think Majere would have been accepted because it was Raistlin's last name. I guess I was wrong.

As much as I hate FF7 its probably the biggest game in the history of video games. And DragonLance is one of the largest worlds in Fantasy/Sci-Fi history.
Galim

Post by Galim »

Quinasa, you are so right.

But it seems it counts now more that we have the player,. not which name he use.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

There are names that I recognize that you probably do not. I did not know VV or Raistlin, but Mephistus I recognize. It doesn't phase me much or effect roleplay.

Galim I got "119,000" hits on google for your name.
Galim

Post by Galim »

Yeah, and with which connection? Has every hit to do with the same guy, role, character, or so?
Its the context, Cliu

Galim is a normal name in the near east, it also means "wave". And now? It is not the name of a famous character, or a famous person as good as everyone knows.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

My point was that google should not be the end all application for name breakers.
Galim

Post by Galim »

Well, of course, but with the name of Vincent Valentine it just proofs how famous it is, because as good as every hit had to do with that one final fantasy character
Llama

Post by Llama »

Hey, my char name only got 3 hits.. all to the illarion forums :D
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Well, if this Vincent Valentine is a... what did Donal say, gun slinging vampire, then maybe we have a problem. But the player say... just enjoyed the sound of the name and the character's personality is entirely his own design, then what is the problem?
Llama

Post by Llama »

As long as its not something which would be in that era...

"Ritchard lionheart"

i suppose its ok
Galim

Post by Galim »

Because you will think every time you roleplay with that char of the true vincent valentine.

And because the first thing to be a good roleplayer is it to beable to think about an own name, and don't steal one. It is not the spirit of roleplay to steal names. where is the aprt of roleplay in which you think about your own character, build his personallity and all when you steal his name from a famous character who already exists?
Llama

Post by Llama »

I know someone else who shares MY real name and REAL surname...

Should i go up to him and comment on his lack of RP??? I never played FF.. and so i am immune to thinking he is a
Gun slinging vampire
Everyone should choose what s/he likes best... one of the character's surnames shares the name of a brand of cigarettes... so? nobody cares
Lady Arynne

Post by Lady Arynne »

Look, maybe it's just me but...

I've noticed a lot of veteran players getting really picky with anything newbie. You all say you want more players, and yet a lot of you aren't willing to give us the chance to delve into Illa. You may (or may not) have entered the game with perfectly flawless RP, wonderful char names, and accurate character histories, but from someone who has played a lot of RPGs of all types in the past, Illarion is a very unique game and takes some getting used to. I've only been here a little over a month, and though people have not bothered me about my char names, Rp, or stories (much) I'm beginning to play less and get a little discouraged from playing. At first glance this seemed like a really open community, but sometimes you all seem to want to jump on the new guy (or girl).

If you want more players, stop having sky-high standards, people cannot be 5-star RP'ers the moment they are born. I understand that a lot of you have been playng for years, but without new people joining you'd be walking around the map all alone. I've seen at least 5 new players drop out in the first week because they thought you guys were too harsh. I don't think that's what everyone wants, so please, chill. Try to stop making everything so 'exclusive', we "newbies" can feel it in a big way.

Well, that's my mini-monologue anyway.

//Edit: I just want to say this post is not directed at anyone in particular, nor do I think all veteran players are exclusive like this. I'm not trying to start an argument, either, I'm just presenting my observations.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I could not agree more with Arynne.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I try my hardest, but many newbies are seriously impatient. If your a newbie not all of us can type 70 wpm consistantly, so please be patient and hang around till we haven't said anything for a while. I've tried to help alot of noobs, they can't complain about me. Play a friendly, average char (preferably human) for you first char plzkthx its alot easier to start and get help (and give help to).
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

I'm with Grobby on that one. I'm not cruel to new players because they're new. I'll do anything to help out the new chars if I'm in game. I love meeting new people in the community!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Hmm.. i agree...

I try to help, but sometimes they say really stupid things ... i try to help...

Qui--> almost reached a 1000 posts...
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

But it seems it counts now more that we have the player,. not which name he use.
Honestly, yes. New players are more important. The name doesn't break the name rules majorly. Sure, I would have rejected it as a fan of Final Fantasy, but the fact is, the name isn't L0RD KILLK1LL.

When we have a player, we can shape their first character, teach them to roleplay and make them good roleplayers. Then when they realise that their first character may not have been ideal, they can go ahead and make another.

So yes, acquiring new players is important and the name they use, as long as it isn't a huge breach of name rules come second.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

The question of new players in Illarion is always tricky, absolutely we need them. The catch is always with Illarion I would rather have one lady arynne than 20 power gamers with no flair or passion for rp.

The thing we all as players need to realize when it comes to this game is that for most of us I think this game is a labor of love. We all work "and play" hard at our characters and RP and in doing so reap the rewards of the most unique,inovative and deep graphical role-playing community i have found to date.
As soon as people have placed that much energy and heart into anything we are all going to have strong feelings and some amount of emotion invested in the game as a whole. This leads us all to be a little obsessive, protective and on the whole far too uptight. The price you pay for such an engrossing community.

The main problem in game at the moment is that there are no groups or "guilds" active that have roles for new players to play a part and as such learn about illarion and in depth RP that it requires. I came to this game with a lot of RP experience and general flair for character acting. How ever it remains players like, Caitlin,Sian,Aristeuas,John,Garret,Galim and many others to long to list. Who by allowing me to keep in game company with them and feed of there amazing RP enabled me to raise my "game" to a height that does justice to Illarions amazingly high standards.
Currently to just slot into Illarion you need to arrive here a good player, this is a problem as GM's and players I respect hugely are quick to remind me that many arrived here with little to no rp experience and have gone on to become awesome players.
So as long as we are losing potentially great players we do indeed have a problem. At same time always remember that many new players who never stick around here are either to immature or lack the interest to read the forums. Just reading the guide to rpg and newbie board can be a huge help.

To end of this long ramble, When you encounter a new player or player who doesn’t seem to have the basics yet.
.As Sian I believe is fond of saying rp your guts out and show them how good it can be.
.Share a polite whisper encouraging them to read the forums and pointing them to relative topics such as the guide to role-playing.
. see if you can creatively find something or way to engage the new player, spare 5 minutes and make them welcome in game by rping with them

This game only gets stronger if we all get online and RP with each other, this game is not just the people we love rping with and our messenger buddies. It is a communal world to make that world grow and thrive is going to take work. That work is often a minor character break "rping your mean char" is in a randomly helpful mood. Taking time out of the engrossing rp you are in to speak to and mentor new players.
Lastly always remembering we are all here to have fun and none of us can do that alone online.
Brian

P.s Arynne you are not allowed to get discouraged and stop playing yet. we havent had "cause" to really rp together yet. You are so not getting off that easily :)