Character Names

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

The question of new players in Illarion is always tricky, absolutely we need them. The catch is always with Illarion I would rather have one lady arynne than 20 power gamers with no flair or passion for rp.

The thing we all as players need to realise when it comes to this game is that for most of us I think this game is a labour of love.We all work "and play" hard at our characters and RP and in doing so reap the rewards of the most unique,inovative and deep graphical roleplaying community i have found to date.
As soon as people have placed that much energy and heart into anything we are all going to have strong feelings and some amount of emotion invested in the game as a whole. This leads us all to be a little obsessive,protective and on the whole far to uptight. The price you pay for such an engrosseing community.

The main problem in game at the moment is that there is no groups or "guilds" active that have roles for new players to play a part and as such learn about illarion and indepth RP that it requires. I came to this game with a lot of RP expierence and general flair for character acting. How ever it remains players like, Caitlin,Sian,Aristeuas,John,Garret,Galim and many others to long to list. Who by allowing me to keep in game company with them and feed of there amazing RP enabled me to raise my "game" to a height that does justice to Illarions amazingly high standards.
Currently to just slot into Illarion you need to arrive here a good player, this is a problem as GM's and players I respect hugely are quick to remind me that many arrived here with little to no rp expierence and have gone on to become awesome players.
So as long as we are loseing potenially great players we do indeed have a problem. At same time always remember that many new players who never stick around here are either to immature or lack the interest to read the forums. Just reading the guide to rpg and newbie board can be a huge help.

To end of this long ramble, When you encounter a new player or player who doesnt seem to have the basics yet.
.As Sian I believe is fond of saying rp your guts out and show them how good it can be.
.Share a polite whisper encourageing them to read the forums and pointing them to relative topics such as the guide to roleplaying.
. see if you can creatively find something or way to engage the new player, spare 5 minutes and make them welcome in game by rping with them

This game only gets stronger if we all get online and RP with each other, this game is not just the people we love rping with and our messenger buddies. It is a comunial world to make that world grow and thrive is going to take work. That work is often a minor character break "rping your mean char" is in a randomly helpful mood. Takeing time out of the engrossing rp you are in to speak to and mentor new players.
Lastly always remembering we are all here to have fun and non of us can do that alone online.
Brian

P.s Arynne you are not allowed to get discouraged and stop playing yet..we havent had "cause" to really rp togther yet. You are so not getting off that easily :)
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Yes, we are less strict with names than in the past.
Yes, we are less strict with applications than in the past.
Yes, we want more players.
Yes, we'd rather accept 3 applications, risking that there is an unfitting player among them than rejecting 3 applications, risking that there is a good player among them.
Yes, everyone who writes a proper application (no "then i kill em all"-stuff") has a good chance to play.
Yes, all this was different in the past.

For all those who understand latin: "In dubio pro lusor".

Many, many players that play this game for serveral years now started this game when there was not account system at all. Some started as ... lousy RPers, becoming better and better by the help of this community. This community is strong and I am god damn proud to be able to help this community.

We don't want to have a private, restricted server. My own personal goal is to have 50 player 24/7, 50 players that roleplay. If you encounter a player who simply does not get the concept, encourage him, help him, RP til you get mad. But please, do not bitch around like "((I will report you to the GMs, roleplay you son of a ...))".
martin

Post by martin »

Garett Gwenour wrote:I do not play Final Fantasy so I wouldn't know...
Same with me.
Maybe I accepted that name, I have no idea, however the point in that is:
I cannot know every name of every game and I cannot google every name I accept.

There are about 20-30 accounts I accept/reject every day and a little less characters. If you find such names, just let us know. It's not a big deal, it's just that we cannot know everything and don't have the time to look for every name we do not know.

Martin
martin

Post by martin »

Galim wrote:But it seems it counts now more that we have the player,. not which name he use.
Now, this is terribly stupid and it not only annoys me but it even upsets me.

The one who accepted that name, whoever it was, DID NOT KNOW IT. I expect to read an excuse of yours soon.

Martin
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:For all those who understand latin: "In dubio pro lusor"..
For all of us who dont.. what does it mean?
martin

Post by martin »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Estralis Seborian wrote:For all those who understand latin: "In dubio pro lusor"..
For all of us who dont.. what does it mean?
To be honest, I had latin in school and I do understand the first part, however I fail to find what "lusor" should mean.
The rest means "in doubt for..." and is part of a common latin saying used in the law ("In dubio pro reo", "in doubt for the accused").

As for the rest: Yes, we are being less strict. The reasons are mentioned above by Estralis and Lady A. However, what we do not allow are violations of the name rules, and that is what I criticised about Galims remark: He suggests that this happened in full awareness of the FF7 character, but it didn't. It does not have something to do with less strict rules.

Martin
Zarah

Post by Zarah »

If there's doubt the decision is made in favour of the defendant.
Im Zweifel für den Angeklagten.

*har* Latein zahlt sich aus.

Edit: Argh, martin was faster.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

martin wrote:
Galim wrote:But it seems it counts now more that we have the player,. not which name he use.

The one who accepted that name, whoever it was, DID NOT KNOW IT. I expect to read an excuse of yours soon.

Martin
Excuse me Martin, but read what Estralis posted above you.
Estralis Seborian wrote:We don't want to have a private, restricted server. My own personal goal is to have 50 player 24/7, 50 players that roleplay.
(Before you get at my throat Martin: Consider that the following of my post is not directed towards you, but some other people who posted here.)

Sorry for sounding anal about the name rules, but keeping half the rules the game currently has, is ambiguous, misleading, and actually more anal than me complaining about names, because in fact, all I'm doing is following the God damn rules (I repeat: this is not directed at Martin, but the other people on this thread acting like its no biggie when players read names that I associate to 200% to existing characters).

According to your philosophy, we should dump the powergaming rules, or character naming rules, in favor of getting more players? Or what? I've suggested this in the past, and been flamed over it. Now you change your minds on the fly, and want to continue flaming and treating me like some idiot? Shove it up your rectal canals, you arrogant snobs.

We need a unified front of rules that both players and staff can stick with, then we can continue talking like grown-ups.

Either that or ditch the rules before you complain about someone reminding people to follow the aforementioned rules.

As you seem to not notice that all I had aimed the initial post for was so that someone notices that a name is violating the rules, and hopefully also so that a new player will see this right off the start before they (perhaps unintentionally) break the rules again.

PS: Pardon if this post is very angry, offensive, and aggressive, but you can go back to the initial post and see that I began in a completely different tone. Sum up that I'm having a hard time lately, and that I am sick and tasting blood in my mouth still, I'm pretty bloody pissed over this semantic bull, to say the least.
Llama

Post by Llama »

1) do i detect a hint of anger in this?

2) Please reduce improper language

3) What exactly are you suggesting?? Deleting the char... and telling them something/ or allowing them to re-name??
martin

Post by martin »

Zarah wrote:If there's doubt the decision is made in favour of the defendant.
But it was "lusor" instead of "reo".
Lusor sounds like ... no word I know. ;)

Martin
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:1) do i detect a hint of anger in this?
I already said that it is an angry post.
Hadrian_Abela wrote:2) Please reduce improper language
Quite frankly: Not a reason in my mind why I should.
Let me explain: "Rules" is something that are not to be broken.
In this case as someone is illustrating, the "rules" are thus not "rules", but "guidelines". Thus making any discussion upon "rules" moot. Before this is clear, I will not reduce "improper language", because some people can obviously not discuss rationally.
Hadrian_Abela wrote:3) What exactly are you suggesting?? Deleting the char... and telling them something/ or allowing them to re-name??
The latter, as it has been done in the past.
(Allowing them to re-name.)

Other than that, read my reply to your #2, that is what I'm suggesting now. Things must be marked either as guidelines or as rules, but I cannot trust people who use rules like guidelines, and treat guidelines like rules. If we'd start doing that with public laws IRL, we could welcome a disagreeable anarchy very soon. There's obviously something wrong about that.
Last edited by Moirear Sian on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martin

Post by martin »

Moirear Sian wrote:
martin wrote:The one who accepted that name, whoever it was, DID NOT KNOW IT. I expect to read an excuse of yours soon.
Estralis Seborian wrote:We don't want to have a private, restricted server. My own personal goal is to have 50 player 24/7, 50 players that roleplay.
That's not a contradiction. I fail to see your argument here.

Again, and I repeat that for the 100th time now: The one accepting that name did not know (it might have been me or someone else, I don't know, don't expect me to remember all names I accept, I don't even know my phone number).

Martin
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

martin wrote:
Moirear Sian wrote:
martin wrote:The one who accepted that name, whoever it was, DID NOT KNOW IT. I expect to read an excuse of yours soon.
That's not a contradiction. I fail to see your argument here.
Two words: Unified front.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Lusor = Player, also poet, musician,...
Related to the verb "ludere", meaning to play, but also to "get teached".

What I wanted to say with in dubio pro lusor: If we are not sure if something breaks a rule or not, we decide in favor of the player. Applications, names, anything.
Llama

Post by Llama »

So, you would like to delete the person's char???

That would certainly bring more people in...

Why not get an admin to "force" him to change names?

Rules are rules...

There are guidlines

RE: improper language...=> that is no excuse.. its not as its a rule... its as it has no place in civilised conversations which you try to uphold...
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:RE: improper language...=> that is no excuse.. its not as its a rule... its as it has no place in civilised conversations which you try to uphold...
You're right, this is not a civilized discussion.
Hadrian_Abela wrote:So, you would like to delete the person's char???
Moirear Sian wrote:
Hadrian_Abela wrote:3) What exactly are you suggesting?? Deleting the char... and telling them something/ or allowing them to re-name??
The latter, as it has been done in the past.
(Allowing them to re-name.)
I already answered that I am not asking for characters with improper names to be deleted. Are you drunk?
AlaineMilan

Post by AlaineMilan »

I didnt read the whole text but I wondered when I saw Mephistus and Vincent Valentine...and there is another Name, but I dont want to say the name *looks to Quinasa*
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

Sadly, I too agree with Moirear. Aquarion, Jon Slayer, Katsumi, and Kratos, Are four names I've seen recently, and Cherish, before I forget, I would rather see stricter name rules, and a stricter accounts system than see more people in game like this. A few weeks ago, I was playing and having a convo with someone when some guy stumbled across us and said.

"Someone (810597275): is it me or is this game gay? "
"this game is retarted and gay"
"how do u even play????? "
"(Person i was with) ((please, stop roleplay, anmd simply start to play the role of your chaarcter))
Someone (810597275): how?"

So please, either stick to the rules that you the GM's made, or change them to let this become the next runescape, or Tibia.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

I would rather have these players to mold and teach than to have none at all. If you cannot imagine another persona for "Vincent Valentine", then is it the PO of VV or you who has the lesser of imagination?

"Someone (810597275): is it me or is this game gay? "
"this game is retarted and gay"
"how do u even play????? "
"(Person i was with) ((please, stop roleplay, anmd simply start to play the role of your chaarcter))
Someone (810597275): how?"
I have had encounters like these. People getting angry at merchants because they don't know keywords. People randomly attacking and much more. What is wrong with the situation is not them, it is the players who use ooc ((roleplay, this is a roleplaying game)) or even yelling at them. Instead you could pull them over and whisper them help as to not disturb other game play.

If you don't want to get out of your character's persona to help the lost player then atleast use OOC. Apparently people would rather play a game with 20 disgruntled characters than 100 players who, if taken aside and helped, would contribute to the community and gameplay.

There are people helping "newbies" and I would like to thank them.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

So tell me Cliu, people reminding others to follow the rules is not helping?

I can go help on other games too, really, my patience wears thing being tested by asshats like you who imply that we who complain about rulebreaks concerning name rules have no imagination.

Use your imagination and imagine what happens if someone takes an existing name AND an existing character. I hope you're aware that whatever you say and do is molding the future of this game. I'd rather have people persona play and distinguish properly between OOC and IC, than see people ripping off characters from other games and franchises. If that scenario becomes reality, we might as well allow people to play characters from other dimensions, and thus disrupt the entire consistency of Illarion's backstory and setting concepts.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Has anyone roleplayed with VV? Was he like the FF character?

Although they may start out like this Sian, they do not have to continue it.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Cliu Beothach wrote:Has anyone roleplayed with VV? Was he like the FF character?

Although they may start out like this Sian, they do not have to continue it.
Correct, which is why people should stand up and write what they think, and not just be sniveling, groveling sissies, who just back up whatever a GM states, and other than that, be passive vegetables.

Sorry, that I'm not playing too often and contributing to aid new players in the actual game, is all I can say to that. But I do my best off the game, as well.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Well if you did play with him why not pull him aside in that time and direct him to the rules. I am sure you could have taught him how the game works.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

I am startled at the fact about how few people can read these days.

I was hoping my apology for not playing enough lately and bitching on the forums would imply that I did not meet him in game (which you might have guessed by the fact that I simply read his name on the online list.)
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

Moirear Sian wrote:
martin wrote:

Martin
(Before you get at my throat Martin: Consider that the following of my post is not directed towards you, but some other people who posted here.)

Sorry for sounding anal about the name rules, but keeping half the rules the game currently has, is ambiguous, misleading, and actually more anal than me complaining about names, because in fact, all I'm doing is following the God damn rules (I repeat: this is not directed at Martin, but the other people on this thread acting like its no biggie when players read names that I associate to 200% to existing characters).

According to your philosophy, we should dump the powergaming rules, or character naming rules, in favor of getting more players? Or what? I've suggested this in the past, and been flamed over it. Now you change your minds on the fly, and want to continue flaming and treating me like some idiot? Shove it up your rectal canals, you arrogant snobs.

We need a unified front of rules that both players and staff can stick with, then we can continue talking like grown-ups.

Either that or ditch the rules before you complain about someone reminding people to follow the aforementioned rules.
Yes! Down with the Bourgeousie! Bring the tools of labor back into the hands of the Proletariat! From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs!

Really, though, I'm getting tired of this "the powergaming rule is subjective" crap. So is the account system. So is the way you're treated on the board on a given day. Shall we replace the account system *and* the players entirely with robots, because of their failure of remaining steady?

It's a weak argument, has been, and just gets recycled with no additional arguments if disagreed with.

The most amazing part of this instance of it is this: the PO of "Vincent Valentine" was talked to about his name, and his name was changed in the account system before any of this argument was posted.

Thanks for the information, and also for undoubtedly alienating a player who misunderstood the rules and was very polite when I made him change his name.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Moirear Sian wrote: Sorry, that I'm not playing too often and contributing to aid new players in the actual game
Lady Arynne

Post by Lady Arynne »

This is so not what I was intending.

Stop arguing and insulting each other, please, I can't stand it. All I was saying was, stop being so hostile. Apparently I have a giant neon sign over my head that says "She means the opposite of what she says"
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Aegohl wrote:Really, though, I'm getting tired of this "the powergaming rule is subjective" crap. So is the account system. So is the way you're treated on the board on a given day. Shall we replace the account system *and* the players entirely with robots, because of their failure of remaining steady?
That is what I am saying, yes.
Aegohl wrote:It's a weak argument, has been, and just gets recycled with no additional arguments if disagreed with.
Why is it a weak argument? Because you don't accept it?
Aegohl wrote:Thanks for the information, and also for undoubtedly alienating a player who misunderstood the rules and was very polite when I made him change his name.
I alienated a player? Oh yes, this is getting quite creative now.

Misunderstood the rules?

Didn't read them, more likely. Just like you seem to just copy your postings from textbooks, and are perhaps challenged in reading whatever I write.

--

@Fooser: Aegohl.

@Arynne: No. Stop insulting eachother would be a start, but I see that my initial posts were completely neutral, and that people started belittling an opinion I do not hold by myself alone. Forums are here so we can agree on disagreeing, and debate the level of disagreement, and other contingencies.
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

Vincent's name is changed and I hope that he enjoys his stay in Illarion. I am sure he'll become a great roleplayer. The name rules are uniform and we stick to them to the best of our ability.

1- When a GM goes to check names, there may be up to thirty waiting for that GM. There may also be up to 30 accounts waiting to be read. We check the names thoroughly, but from time to time, one might slip through. We will reject names like "Gangbang" and "Pokerlord" because they are not names.

2- We might, from time to time accept a name that has appeared in a video game from eight years ago. This is human nature, we all make mistakes, especially if the name checker has never played this name.

3- The most important thing is, is that we can filter out names that are not names. Vincent Valentine was a name, so it was accepted.

4- The fact is, because we have so many things to read, we make be "sloppy" sometimes. We might not consult Google. Then some names that may have been utilised in other media slip through, but they are still names!

I think I can safely say that this topic has become a bit redundant now.
Conscience

Post by Conscience »

If you people want a game where you can eternally have all your oh so perfect illarion rule correct names for a grand total of 5 players then you are definitely going about the right way of doing it.

Two, three years ago this game did not have any account system, name rulings, or complicated magic and fighting systems. And you know what? The game was thriving. The roleplay was far more vibrant and interesting than it is today. And many many more good players played this game on a habitual basis.

Why was it like this in the old client? Clueless newbies, powergamers, bad name players all were able to join the game. Yet the roleplay thrived. This is because back then all these 'bad players' were swiftly incorporated into the community and transformed into skilled roleplayers. In fact many of the roleplayers here whining about stricter name rules today were once some of these bad players.

In addition, the mechanics of the game were much more simple and intuitive in the old client. So new and old players alike working with this intuitive system were able to focus far more energy and time on roleplaying. It was a cycle that kept revolving to expand and expand this game both in roleplay depth and quality player base. In contrast, we have the vicious cycle of today where elitism, excessive realism, and an annoying nitpicking at technicalities has slowly but surely degraded this game to its present condition of having shallow, boring roleplay at best and a increasingly deprived player base.

So hush, all you nitpickers. Although you cannot be blamed, owing to ignorance on your part, as you were not here at all 2-3 years ago when this game was at its height, you still have no right to go about making the illarion situation worse than it already is.
Last edited by Conscience on Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.