Switch magical types

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

martin

Switch magical types

Post by martin »

This is just a small poll. Please take part.
Please only state the number of the option you prefer:

1. It should be possible to freely switch between druid, wizard, priest, ...
2. It should generally not be possible to switch between druid, wizard, ...
3. It should under certain conditions be possible to switch between druid, ... (for example in static quests involving NPCs and so on)
4. It should be possible to switch between ... in non-static quests
5. It should be possible to switch between ... but it would cost some permanent strain (loss of stats, for example)

ACCIDENTLY choosing something and then changing it is NOT affected, we talk about intended switching only!

Martin
Last edited by martin on Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

2, You should not be able to switch types.
Sskakzk'krr

Post by Sskakzk'krr »

2. It should generally not be possible to switch between druid, wizard, ...
Galim

Post by Galim »

Um, what do you mean with "switch"? If you mean to change from priest to mage and perhaps one day to druid, than

2)
Thalodos Artemetus

Post by Thalodos Artemetus »

The first option.
Turonga Mudwater

Post by Turonga Mudwater »

I dont know....I would say 2 but then theres the players who accidentally learn druidism (It happened long ago with the old magic system) Because I dont know what it will be like with the new system I cant really say. Perhaps you could switch freely if you know 1-2 herbs/runes but after 2 its locked in.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

1, 3, 4, or 5, I can't make up my mind other than that it should be possible to switch.

Uhmmmm... :arrow: I pick #3.
Ellaron

Post by Ellaron »

I'll go for 3. It should require enough effort to make one think very carefully before doing it. I would of gone for 5 but I don't like the idea of permanent damage.
Tzi Hahasus

Post by Tzi Hahasus »

I think it should be possible with a good rp reason, and only if it didn't happen very often. I guess that's #4
Garett Gwenour

Post by Garett Gwenour »

Lady Arynne

Post by Lady Arynne »

I like Turonga's idea, too though.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Moathia

Post by Moathia »

5 I guess is also ok, but you should only be able to change once, and if you change you lose everything you've learned from the other magic type.
martin

Post by martin »

Just to explain: We are talking about even frequent switching. Today I am druid, tomorrow priest, next day mage.
Next week, priest again.

Switching once seems like, well, correcting a mistake, and I excluded that explicitly.

Martin
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

No way, in the middle of a battle, woops I need helaed *Swtiches to priest* heal * Switch back tomage* Super Fireball, it would just be abused.
Berengar

Post by Berengar »

2)

but I also like Turonga's idea
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

It should also reset all the runes and take more then an instance to change, like unlearning one path and then taking another.

I don't think we should immediately stop something if it can be abused, just impliment it, see how it goes and then if it is abused find ways to stop it. Instead of being conservative we should be more exploritory and progressive. Which is what probably happens anyway.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I chose 2.

It should never be possible to switch the magical type. If it is chose you can't change.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Gabon Corad

Post by Gabon Corad »

Durin Silberbart

Post by Durin Silberbart »

Me vote for 2
Jeremy Gems Willowbrook

Post by Jeremy Gems Willowbrook »

I dont like the idea of switching from one to the other at will. So in this poll I would say option 3.

However I dont see why they have to be exclusive. Why cant you have mage priests or druid priests? Mage druids are probably a bad idea but since Illarion is not a class based game why not allow it.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

I vote 4. There's always the possibility someone could suddenly discover his faith in the gods or his love for nature. But it should under no circumstance become a common thing to swith around your type of magic. It should be possible, but rare and a hard and long way to go.
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

I agree with jeremy, but for this poll, I'll choose 5, since the strain of taking magic from yourself would be great. I still want a Magebard though ;). As Jeremy said, if it isn't class based, then why limit what you can learn? I see no reason why a mage can't learn how to make potions other than the "two magic types would conflict in your body and mind", which is the.......not very great rp that went around.

EDIT: I also want to know why people say it shouldnt be possible to switch magic types. I see no good reason myself.
martin

Post by martin »

Maybe because of gameplay reasons? If you can do everything yourself, why would you then play a multiplayer game? It's like having a character who is a fightermagedruidpriestbardcarpentersmithminerwoodchopper: Why would you need another character selling something to you?

Martin
falco1029

Post by falco1029 »

*insert details and debates from IRC in response to martin's comment here*
Aragon

Post by Aragon »

Llama

Post by Llama »

2--> but only before after have X amount of skill... so if you made a mistake you can change it before... but NOT after
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

Martin specifically said that mistakes are not the object of this poll. So I guess they already know how to deal with those.
Japheth

Post by Japheth »

4, for the much the same reasons as Adano. Not common, but possible. However there is the problem of programming something that would not be used by the majority of players. This would be a waste of Martin's time. If it is easily implemented, then by all means, I choose 4. However, if it would absorb Martin's time, time that could go elsewhere, then I choose 2.