The first contact / Der erste Kontakt

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

How did you find out about Illarion? / Wie hast du von Illarion erfahren?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Google or other search engine / Google oder andere Suchmaschine
28%
MUD / MMPORPG Website
25%
Other website (please give us the address) / Andere Website (bitte die Adresse angeben)
12%
Chat / IRC
3%
A friend told me about / Ein Freund hat mir davon erzählt
26%
Other (please write how) / Anderes (schreib bitte, wie)
6%

Total votes: 68

Estralis Seborian

The first contact / Der erste Kontakt

Post by Estralis Seborian »

We's like to know how you found Illarion so we can improve the promotion we are doing for it. If you want, you can also write down the first impression you had as you viewed the website or the game itself.

Thanks alot!

---

Wir würden gerne mehr darüber erfahren, wie ihr von Illarion erfahren habt, damit wir die Promotion optimieren können. Wenn ihr wollt, schreibt doch auch welchen Eindruck ihr hattet, als ihr das erste mal die Website oder das Spiel selber betrachtet habt.

Danke!
Josefine da Vince

Post by Josefine da Vince »

I think I came here by www.mud.de. I'm not sure though.

My fist impression of the website was that it has been confusing (wasn't the one right now but an older version so nevermind) :)

The first impression of the game was horrifying since my char died 10 times in a row. Long time ago. Nevermind. But I must have fell in love with it never the less. :wink:
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

I found Illarion off one of those sites that listed lots of free rpg's online. I can't remember the exact address, it was pretty random. I looked through the vocations and was amazed at the variety of vocations, and intrigued people could make their own houses and things. Prior to this I had played runescape for a while, I looked at the screenshots and found it looked better than most free rpg's. I read all of the main page and rules and things and thought being a hunter, or not even fighting at all appealed alot to me. The fact that this was a roleplaying game didn't really sink in till I answered the questions, I was constantly checking my email in anticipation of acceptance. The longest 3 days of my life.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Firstly i found the game through searching for Online RPG's on the net, and at the time there was no account system in place. I gave it a try and it was to my likeing.

To me it was a website address, it made no impact. And if the account system were in place i doubt i would have played it.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

I think it was through google. But I cannot exactly remember. First impression then, was that the game was...different. (Mostly graphical-wise). I do not know 'bout the website really, because it was such a long time ago. It always felt like it had an elite playerbase :P.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

I googled for Online RPG, and Illarion was one of the top results, among some text MUDs which didn't interest me. The website and everything seemed simple, the email application system old-fashioned, and my first impression was that Illarion would cater to roleplaying more than a "Commercial Online RPG XYZ" would.
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

I heard about it while playing in an rpg guild in Dransik(rip) they emntioned the game, and posted a link so I came togive it a try, as far as I am aware I'm the only one who actually joined.
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

I found Illarion while browsing download sites for freeware/ shareware games. I don't remember where exactly I found it, though. It's too long ago.
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

One month, about two years ago, the player of Tzi began talking a lot about this interesting RPG she found online. She finally convinced me to look at the site and apply for the game. Um... I got in, and now I'm absolutely addicted (^^;; . I will have to ask her where she found Illarion, if she doesn't see this thread.

I think my first impressions when I first went to the site was that there was a lot of reading available. For someone like me, I guess that's not really a problem, but I felt like it could be easy for someone to lose interest because of the large amounts of reading.

I'm still not sure if the menus look confusing, for a similar reason. When I look at the main site right now, it doesn't look complicated/confusing to me at all, of course. But I maybe remember thinking that there were many, many choices, so it was a little hard sometimes deciding on what to click for information. At least there IS a lot of information, though. I hate going to online RPG sites that don't give you much detail like Illarion. So it's a good thing, too.
The-Puppeteer

Post by The-Puppeteer »

hmm.. the first time I was introduced to Illarion was when I was... hm lets see... 10 maybe 11, I was searching the web for some free cool games, since filesharing wasn't that easy back then. Well anyway I can't really remember how I found it but it might have been through here http://play-free-online-games.com/index.html, but i doubt it.

My first impression of the game was that it was really cool, that you could grow plants and that you could be a tailor and all those other things. The game was also good graphic-wise so I got partly addicted and created char after char after char. :wink: . I think my first one was Zymeth the orc blacksmith-mage :) . But I didn't know much about roleplaying back then and I probably wouldn't have got into the game if the account system had been intact... And I probably wouldn't have bothered... :roll: But illarion is for sure the game I have played most in my life and therefore the best. :D
Galim

Post by Galim »

and you overseen the "suggested for 16+" on the mainpage? ;) . i am just joking *g*
Tzi Hahasus

Post by Tzi Hahasus »

I *ahem* found a link to it on Alatar's(?) old Tibia website, which I got to from the main Tibia website. I stopped playing Tibia after that :D
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

Same here. I abandoned Tibia quickly after that =D.
The-Puppeteer

Post by The-Puppeteer »

Never played tibia, but I found out about Runescape on that webpage I mentioned. Which I stopped playing quickly after I had begun.
And I also think that there should be a age restriction, but not 16+. Because like myself a year younger than that age and I have very good Roleplaying knowledge which is all thanks to illarion. There actully is no need for a age restriction, because the account system takes care of those who can't roleplay...
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

You all owe my majestic presence here to my sisterd for she was the one who had shown me the way....

I was bored and in another state and Alli said that since we can't talk on the phone all the time and since I like RPing I should check it out because she played. And here I am!
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

The-Puppeteer wrote:Never played tibia, but I found out about Runescape on that webpage I mentioned. Which I stopped playing quickly after I had begun.
And I also think that there should be a age restriction, but not 16+. Because like myself a year younger than that age and I have very good Roleplaying knowledge which is all thanks to illarion. There actully is no need for a age restriction, because the account system takes care of those who can't roleplay...
We should have a maturity restriction. Me myself AND I were 15 when we started playing.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Me myself and I, is that not a film? And Erik with a K play nice or no more loving mmk.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

I am playing nice! It was no assault on that guy! I think it is great he played before the 16 limit. So no misinterpreting my words mister Darren.
Moathia

Post by Moathia »

I started in 2003, in January, so I was 15 when I started, but I had be rp'ing for 2-3 years before I started here.
Berengar

Post by Berengar »

*thinking* thats long ago...

I was sick of getting slaughtered for "free xp" (Tibia, Runescape) and found Illairon by coincidence on multiplayer.com, I was 15 too by the way :D .
My first impression was awsome because I became a mastersmith in 2 days muhahaha :twisted: , but I started a new char very soon and really fell in love with the game when someone hired me as a bodyguard.
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

Es ist 4 Jahre her, ich bekam meine erste Flatrate bei Aol und fragte mich: "Für was kannst du das jetzt gut nutzen?". Nach ein paar gelesenen Artikeln über Ultima Online habe ich dann nach etwas kostenlosen in ähnlicher Art über diverse Suchmaschinen gesucht.
Nach wenigen Minuten/Stunden kam ich das erstemal zu Illarion. Eine Woche später, nach weiterer, aber nicht erfolgreicher Recherche, bzw. mir haben die Ergebnisse nicht so zugesagt, hab ich Lennier erstellt. :wink:
Grunith Shuth

Post by Grunith Shuth »

I was playing Tibia at the time...(yes Tibia), before I ever knew anything about roleplaying and what not. And it was there where I sent Alatar a message about joining his mage guild. He humbly sent me back an email stating that he had quit Tibia and began to spend time working on his own project through email. He sent me a link back of Illarion and there I have been playing it ever sense. I gradually learned to roleplay from this game and here I still am roleplaying. ^^
Moyáve

Post by Moyáve »

Naja, meinem Cousin und mir war langweilig und wir haben nach Freewaregames gesucht. Wir landeten auf der Seite Spieleportal.de und leider war die Beschreibung nicht sehr schlüssig, mein Cousin meinte dann, das Spiel wär wie Diabolo2 :roll: Und so haben wir das dann auch erstmal gespielt...also schlage ich euch vor, ihr redet mal mit den Autoren der Seite über die Beschreibung, die sie dort stehen haben.
Dyluck

Post by Dyluck »

"A computer fell from the sky and Illarion happened to be on it"
-Korwin, Dec 13, 2002

I remember someone starting a poll like this a long time ago, so I used the search function, and I was quite surprised when I found out who started that poll: http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 50&start=0
A slightly different categorization of options from which perhaps you will be able to draw some useful insight as I once did.
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Grunith Shuth wrote:I was playing Tibia at the time...(yes Tibia), before I ever knew anything about roleplaying and what not. And it was there where I sent Alatar a message about joining his mage guild. He humbly sent me back an email stating that he had quit Tibia and began to spend time working on his own project through email. He sent me a link back of Illarion and there I have been playing it ever sense. I gradually learned to roleplay from this game and here I still am roleplaying. ^^
I feel ashamed.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

Other: I saw my brother playing it.

Edit: changed 'was' to 'saw'
Last edited by Hermie on Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

A website listing free RPG's, this was 2.5 years ago, good luck finding it :wink:
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

Speaking of ye old poll...
I found out from a pirate ((not a pirate on a ship, the thief kind)
(Roke)
I found out through a friend, but then I also shared it with a few unwanted people.
(Astral)

I'm pretty sure Astral told Roke about Illarion.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

i think i found it on www.onrpg.com i think it was like around 30 on the list O_O but im in love..so oh well
AlaineMilan

Post by AlaineMilan »

I know that I found it with google, but I dont know how Oo When I saw the site I was really impressed, but after a while waiting I forgot the game. One month later I remembered and visited the site again and I died a lot of times, but I liked the game. Thats why I started a new character and tried again. ^^