What is right with Illarion?

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Japheth

What is right with Illarion?

Post by Japheth »

Illarion has understandibly changed since the wipe/new client and changes to crafts and so forth. However, we still attract players and there are still a glut of players in-game from time to time. What keeps players playing and why do you continue to play? What should we do more of and what should we do less of to keep Illarion improving?

Positive comments here, stick your negative comments in Cassandra's thread.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

The logic behind crafting system. Although it may be harder...in the long run it will pay out nicely.

The new crafting system is very nice, divisions and such.

Whole new gfx and more diverse variety of weapons, so far seen and more to come probably.

Good atmostphere and map layout.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

The un-hindered prospect for anything to occur. The community and much much more
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Deeper gameplay- the world is more of a "world" now, due to the new map updating. The town of Trollsbane looks a lot nicer and neater. There is also more to doing things- some have complained about the complexity-but this is compared to the old system. The economic climate has changed since the old system.

Smooth transition- Yes, having the same characters start out with no skill or items is odd, but overall it looked like a smooth transition from the wipe. Interactions between players outside of buying/selling seems a lot more deeper, with more motivations and development.

NPC's- Much better than before, where you could sell hundreds of items without even saying a word, or at least attempting to show a meaningful interaction. There also appear to be a few non-merchant NPC's around that fit well.

More open- What does that mean? There isn't a tight strict social order. Things seem a little more open, free. This can also be attributed to the map and increasing size I think.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

The relationship among the staff and players, there is no other game I know of like this. Any player can easily contact any of them for a unique response. The unique experience is inferred I think. Honestly just the ability to propose something, and accually have the people who make the game take a serious look at it is unique as all get out. Every character has the chance to influence the entire world. The storyline is recorded, unlike games that have a background and whatever happens is just lost except for the people who experienced it, its not incorperated into the world, after everyone is gone who was there, it never happend. Really I don't like physical conflict, however the business of being a merchant, competing business, conflicts with products of other races, has always gave me alot of fun. The business aspect of the game, is the thing I like the most.
Erart Ridoc

Post by Erart Ridoc »

I agree with the GM contacts. I have probable talked to the gm's about 5 times and each time I got a response

I also like that players can make proposals to the game, and the gm's actually pay attention to some :)

I have also noticed the gm's trying to create more rp. And that is really appreciated, keep it up

Tying alot of the crafts to another craft, hopefully that will keep people from making everything on their own
Pronon Palmsuger

Post by Pronon Palmsuger »

A true Roleplaying community that can't be found anywhere else on earth (trust me I've tried finding one)
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

What is right,
The new craft system is hard to get use to but i have seen a little of it the new diverse items will be wonderful.

Weapon breakage,
This is so right so your sword broke go down to the undead and get a new one. Buy from me or any other warrior for 10 coins. The old client two people did constant business,Eliza and druids. Now we will have a game were smiths and carpentars are required daily. Awesome addition if you ask me.

The Huge new map.
I love it so it takes me some time to walk point A-B so i cannot just be at the ogers in 3 minutes.Hard lines oger hunting should be an adventure or i could move to varshikar. This map is going to produce some epic chases, with luck some new settlements and buildings.The island pendar lives on is no longer the size of a shoe box, I feel emmersed in a large map and expanses of wild a man could get lost in.

Many new items.
Wow have you people seen some of the swords and armors that can be crafted. There is a fantastic variety i just cannot wait to try out.

The languages
Most awesome addition to the game in a long time.

Quality system,
My mind boggles at the amount of work that must have been. How ever people are more focused on my sword breaks not the amazing fact that you have a rusty old decaying sword. Which means you will one day have a perfect new sword.

The amount of energy that developers put in.
For a non commercial game we all need to sit back and look at how lucky we are. I dont know Martin he does not know me how ever I could see he was upset by peoples shallow criticism of the game. Languages,new items,quality systems,monsters even new crafting methods did not write themselves.
Instead people are upset because there warrior is not leet any more.
I honestly believe people need to go ingame with an open mind and see how awesome the new features,map and advances in the game are. If you still see nothing but toil and labour...dont play. I am not saying dont criticise at all. What i am saying is if people cannot see the huge steps this game has taken and the huge potenial for rp with in it. Then why do they bother playing.

The unique game community of players who are willing to take rp to such a high level.
In a week, I have been able to rp pendar in every state from complete heart break through to estatic joy. I have nearly adopted a child, I have battled drow and i have learnt to smelt metals. This game is always about what we make it. The magic for me is i get to live an alternative life for X hours a week. If any one as a player does not find enjoyment in actually acting and living an alternative life in game we will propably never agree about this game.

I personally love this game, I play it as much as possibly can I know many players personally who feel the same way. So in closeing just because people who have a criticism valid or not tend to speak the loudest. Developers and GMs just be aware there are players who are enchanted by the new features and are really enjoying the game.
I for one am greatful for every moment that goes into making this game what it is. A damn fine one!

Brian
Nilo

Post by Nilo »

Okay well.

I always wanted a bigger map.. but in my opinon this is too big for so few players.

I like how NPC's can interact more now. that is very nice touch.

Also I like the new armors.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

What has kept me coming back to Illarion:
• Players I've enoyed RPing with in the past.
• The forums can be entertaining.
• Wanting to play a multiplayer computer game that is laid back enough for my super-melancholic mood. :P

What has been done well lately:
• Account and acceptance system; woohoo! Big cheers on this one, you've finally managed it that new players can actually start playing the game quicker despite the application procedures.
• The client. Just for examples of what is supposed to be down the road (I hope), less mass-producing items, less multi-clicking, less poppycock I'm too lazy to put up with when I play an RPG. The client may be buggy and unfinished (alpha phase, alphahahahaaaa phaaasah), but I like the prospect of where it's promised to be headed.

What should be done more in the future:
• Encouraging players to more self-initiative and character-character interaction
• More and often simple quests to lure old and new players alike into game and give them some stepping stones to integrate into ongoing RP with
• Keeping a sharper eye on newbs and helping them get into the RP—the last few times I played, I witnessed a bunch of hair-raising things like "OMG" in character speech, emoticons, ooc insults, or other nonsense
martin

Post by martin »

Nilo wrote:I always wanted a bigger map.. but in my opinon this is too big for so few players.
Yes. The only way to help that is to stay out of the game.
How right you are, I am beaten by that logic.

"Oh look, the map is too large for so few players, so I don't log in and wait until more players are online."

"Oh look, the people online don't RP well, so I don't log in and wait until players start RPing well enough."

"Oh, look, the game is still inbalanced, so I don't log in and wait until it's balanced."

This is the true form of unlogic reasoning.
In order to have more players online, more players have to be online. Sounds simple, but a lot of you don't seem to comprehend that simple truth.
In order to have more people RPing well we need more people who RP well.
In order to balance the game we need more players playing to see where to do this and that and where the inbalances can be found.

This is NOT a finished game!

Martin
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Some things I like when playing Illarion:

Languages
I love to speak the native language of my character, and not common, on crowded areas forceing other characters who are not part of my characters race to only guess what we are talking about.

Crafts
Its extremely hard to start with a craft on your own, but once you manage to complete something you have the urge to pad your characters shoulders and tell him "Well done, pal."
Not everybody you meet now is smith and carpenter in one person and will never have the need of items that you can actualy produce.
Everybody now always needs something.

NPCs
Even when they are still a bit tricky to use, especialy when I had my fingers on thier dialoges, they by far more useful then ol'Eliza and Sam.
NPCs finaly add life to the map, and not are static click-objects anymore.

The Map
Its easier now to add things on request, may it be player request or GM request.
Even when we lack of guilds right now, practicly every larger guild can have its unique settlement and area of influence.
It's just up to the players to finaly band together, again.

Quality
Overladed with NPC-crap-ware that my character currently is, I long for a good smith/tailor/carpenter who can supply me with "brand new, exelent [item]".
These NPCs nowadays think that selling "torn, old [item]" is a sign of customer support. ;)
Quality finaly makes the difference between a amateur smith and a master smith, and also make player items worth something more then just 2 gold (or copper) for 1 ore and 1 coal that was used to create the item.

Just some points that make Illarion fun for me, beside the players.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

What is good about Illarion? I love the map. I can't tell you guys enough. I think its great. Everyone is always looking for an out of the way secluded place and now they're all over the place. I haven't been in game in a little over a week bordering on two because of work and such so I haven't seen the new monster speeds yet or any of the recent changes. I'm confident that Illarion will heal from this char wipe and be stronger because of all the players and staff who are dedicated to that end, not their own. I love the players who give a damn about the game itself, not just the skills. I love everything, even the things I don't like. I have to. It's how to have a relationship. I think I have a pretty good relationship with they game. I love things about the game that let me overlook the things I find annoying. I accept the things that can't be changed and I get on with my life. I'm dedicated.

What else is good? I'm still a little confused about skills but that's because I haven't tried to learn any just yet. I'm sure I'll find them to my liking eventually. The hardest part about this game right now is that we are all noobs. All of us. None of us is an experienced player now. There is no one to help us out. We have to do it ourselves. All I can say is good luck to all of you. And Illarion as a game is coming along beautifully. @Staff- don't let the few players who can't adjust ruin the pride you should feel at what you've created. You're giving us our paintbrushes, if there are people out there who just can't paint then that's not your fault. Be proud of those who accepted and started painting a wonderful mural.

Jaime
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Select all of the above for me.

P.S. I found out a nifty feature they seem to have implemented too. When you have an empty slot at the left hand of your belt (the one everything automatically is placed into), and you have some of the resource on a totally different spot, it is finally implemented so it comes there, and not on that left hand slot. I know, you will probably not understand it, but I find it great that there are some minor improvements like this. :D
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

There is a message telling you when something breaks, this can save lives! :shock: Also, I think alot of people (including me) are grateful for the short term implementation and bug fixes. I know if theres one thing I hate about programming its bug fixing.
Thalodos Artemetus

Post by Thalodos Artemetus »

All of the above and much more :D . I'm especially pleased you managed to implement the new bows :)

I also like the new map (though not when I’m feeling lazy :D )).

As well as the map I also love the new carpentry system, it’s a constant joy discovering new items I can make, and being one of the first to do so :D

And of course the languages… brilliant system and really fun to use. Good job.

In fact I only dislike three small things in the game.

1. The location of the farmers union: In the old client I used to hang around there all the time, I loved the whole atmosphere there. Any chance you could move it closer to town like it used to be?

2. Arrows: Gotta change it back to how it used to be in the old system. You guys have tried to fix what ain’t broke here .

3. NPCs: Whereas I like the new found interaction, perhaps we could use both the new and the old ways to interact with them?
All of the above and much more :D . I'm especially pleased you managed to implement the new bows :)
martin

Post by martin »

Thalodos Artemetus wrote:2. Arrows: Gotta change it back to how it used to be in the old system. You guys have tried to fix what ain’t broke here.
What is the change on arrows?
3. NPCs: Whereas I like the new found interaction, perhaps we could use both the new and the old ways to interact with them?
Why is that?
You liked buying and selling wares by touching the merchant?

Martin
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

martin wrote: What is the change on arrows?
Making 1 at a time vs. Making 5 at a time I think, could be wrong.
Devrah Liioness

Post by Devrah Liioness »

I've tried tons of different MMORPG's and never stuck with one for more than a few hours because I always died right away.

I like this one because:

a) It's more newbie-friendly than most, and

most of all,

b) There are competent, creative RPers, not just "ha u ded i stab u u suckkk pwned!!!"

You know?
~Christina
Erart Ridoc

Post by Erart Ridoc »

Im not sure what Deb is but I agree with everything else :)
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Why is that?

Martin
Eww...There are 18- in the room.
Thalodos Artemetus

martin wrote:
What is the change on arrows?
We can only make one instead of 5 per wood. and thread is also needed to make them.

martin wrote: Why is that?

Martin
I loved it. :D
Adano Eles

Post by Adano Eles »

I absolutely love the new NPC interaction by speech. It makes the NPCs much more living. Before they were nothing but selling automats.

Put in coin, pull a trigger, get a bonbon... :?
Thalodos Artemetus

Don't get me wrong i like the new system to, i just wouldn't mind having a choice of both options.
Delakaniam
Location: We have to believe in free will. We have no choice.

Post by Delakaniam »

I think it would be a little too contradictory to have both versions ingame, at the same time. As for the new NPC's, in addition to being more interactive-seeming, I like them this way because it often keeps one from having to click at the number counter for every item you want to sell. You can hit directly on a specific number instead just by typing it. This seems slightly more efficient than the previous method.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Delakaniam wrote:I think it would be a little too contradictory to have both versions ingame, at the same time.
Off-topic response, click here if you're interested.
Cirindil Atarion

Post by Cirindil Atarion »

I really enjoyed the eye-candy given in the form of the new graphics for various decorations like paintings and pennants. And kettles and logs placed strategically to form campsites in remote places is a nice touch. In addition, the change in the way herbs are gathered was a welcome alteration. I never did understand how hundreds of herbs could be dug up from one small tile space. :)
Konstantin K
Location: Permanently Banned by Uber Powerful Mega-GMs, because he was BAD.

Post by Konstantin K »

Konstantin is banned.
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

What is right in Illarion...finally the most important aspect of Illarion is comeing back togther. I have been in game for some hours three days in a row with out haveing time to even think of "skills", there are three really good plots I am aware of i am not in involved in and a few I am part of. The world is more and more populated my emotion rich, rp strong living characters that I cannot wait to log on again and "see".
What ever may be wrong technically we have come through the worst of the wipe and although things are changed the rp is takeing root again.
Technical aspects and issues aside, that is what really matters to this game and I am thrilled.
It was as i said when people moaned about the people playing purely for skills, people will either relax when they have a comfortable amount of skill and start rping more. Or the purely skill based players will realise that this game does not reward skills and only rp will ever make you part of it.
Once again we have the strongest RP community I have ever found in a graphical game....and that is what is right with Illarion.
Brian
Sima L. Séregon

Post by Sima L. Séregon »

Good points Brian!!

I like Illarion, I think I am addicted (just one hour per day possible :cry: ....ISDN, arghhh......)

It is a treat to play this game. I like the way the players play and there are so many, which don't play for their skills. Sometimes you need a higher skill, e.g if you want to help a friend and need a higher skill to produce something.....

Ok, the map is giant, but Troll's Bane is a good place to wait *gg*

LG
Silke