What is wrong with illarion/Was läuft falsch in Illarion

Everything about Illarion that fits nowhere else. / Alles über Illarion was inhaltlich in kein anderes Board passt.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Bloodhearte

Post by Bloodhearte »

@Erart

Not long ago Martin had to fix something, and apologized to those who may have had a loss of skill while fixing the problem. Maybe you can talk to him about it if it's significant enough?
Erart Ridoc

Post by Erart Ridoc »

Its not, but I was just wondering about why it happened, so thanks for letting me know
Kincent Nolatri
Location: Think to your self, does Kincent stay still long enough for a location

Post by Kincent Nolatri »

simply put.... I played D&D im now hooked on table top gaming.....
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

1) Trying to help activity in others town: Good idea and bad idea at the same time. It would be a great idea if there were many people, but there aren't, making it a bad idea.
Instead of 8-0-0-0 for four places
it will be
2-2-2-2
in terms of people in the different locations. Doesn't make much sense.

2) Everything revolving around 2-3-4 people, while everyone else sits around hitting eachother, or making items, or being told to "explore the map" while different crafts were being worked out. What makes it even better is that monsters cannot be escaped, making this situation:
"Explore the map. Oh, by the way, accept the fact that monsters are more dangerous now, and if you happen to encounter one, you're dead."
"Uhh..."

3) The above situations adding to dullness.

4) The saying that Illarion isn't all about skills and items, I don't know when most will figure out that is a joke. Just look: before and after wipe, and you will see that. Furthermore, it's impossible to do anything without skill and items.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Fooser wrote:4) The saying that Illarion isn't all about skills and items, I don't know when most will figure out that is a joke. Just look: before and after wipe, and you will see that. Furthermore, it's impossible to do anything without skill and items.
Funny how I used to say something like that shortly after I was new to Illarion and people were running on their characters packed with skill and items, telling me I was spouting out nonsense. I hope eventually some people understand some day why I spoke out against Powergaming so many times and for the rules concerning it to be modified.

Right now a character of mine has no fighting skills whatsoever, his array of items is worth sobbing over by some people, apparently, and still I've been managing to RP, using the character. Oh wait, I have more than one character, every slot of five is filled. I must be capable of some magickal feats.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Something that's been bugging me ever since the last client came out is the deal with the windows and doors. I know we have different graphics than before but now when standing in a doorway or a window you can not see inside a building. I miss that, it was so helpful.

EDIT: The human females are still completely off center or is it just me?
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

1) Mixing OOC and IC knowledge rampantly.

Assuming that Salathe's RPG board post is true, dwarf players should be ashamed of themselves.
Before the wipe: Many non-dwarf smiths
After: Only dwarf smiths?
Does that make any sense? It's taking advantage of the technical and economic changes after the wipe that shouldn't really have an effect on anyone IC. If a character was a smith before the wipe, I would think they would be after also since RP continued.

2) Player Training

I was always under the impression that when your health bar was going down, you were dying. So, that is the equivelant of two people (usually friends), and one saying to the other, "I need to shoot you to improve my accuracy, just stand still...right there...excellent." I don't know what others would do if they saw that, but I know what I'm doing, I'm calling the police. Another thing that makes no sense.
Turonga Mudwater

Post by Turonga Mudwater »

Player Training has allways annoyed me, it used to be Rampant, I can't stand it. I heard players once say "hit me with a rusty dagger, it does less Damage" that threw me in a rage, a rusty dagger would not only hurt when you hit smeone it would also "poison" them. I got the excuse "we'd hit armor, so it wouldn't hurt" I dont get that. I can understand the occasional duel, I've even trained with players myself, but I allways roleplay as if I've been hit, that it really hurts, and that Im tired.

I think Fooser hit it on the head though. I hear all tihs "its too bad no one has their axes anymore" to which Turonga allways responds "well where did they go?" It doesn't make sense that this would happen, I think the subject of thing disappearing should just be ignored, don't talk about it. I can see a mage "I have forgotten most of my rune" or "the gem cave I once mined in collapsed could you tell me another" but sying everyones objects are gone doesn't make sense.
martin

Post by martin »

Fooser wrote: Before the wipe: Many non-dwarf smiths
After: Only dwarf smiths?
Does that make any sense? It's taking advantage of the technical and economic changes after the wipe that shouldn't really have an effect on anyone IC.
If we thought it should be like that, why would you think that we created that monopoly? We could have used another NPC who stands somewhere else and speaks common language.

Martin
Galim

Post by Galim »

why not try to get tools for your own? bribe a dwarf, ask friendly, offer trade, whatever.
Turonga Mudwater

Post by Turonga Mudwater »

I think your missing the point galim, I dont want hte smithing tools, its when people mix OOC and IC that angers me (and probably Fooser, I donr think its Msithing tools he wants but I honestly can't say) I gave another example of this occuring, Its not the lack of tools, its the poor roleplay that surronds the lack of tools.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

the only problem i have (and im not 100% sure that this is true), is that the exp cap only lowers when your online and not doing a skill, which is a goo idea, but the rate of gaining the "rest" should be high when your online and low when your offline.... something like that....

and it seems that when you mess up with something that the exp cap starts to come into play. I talked with people for almost 2 hours then went to mine, i got about 25 ore and plenty of "you found nothing"s and then my exp cap hit. And i dont believe we get any experience for not finding anything. Exp cap should only be affected if your actually gaining something for the skill
martin

Post by martin »

Exp cap lowers when you are offline, too.
And it increases even if you find nothing (also, your skill might raise when you find nothing).

Martin
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

well then i have no problem with illarion
Gabon Corad

Post by Gabon Corad »

Saletha,
Dont forget you are still teconally hitting the rock...just because you are unsuccesful doesnt mean you spend some energy. say in realy life if we still mined with pickaxes no matter how many ore you find you would be equally tired at the end of the day...so to speak if you took the same amout of swings and force on each swing.
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

He didnt mean the energy he uses to mine, just the experience (knowledge) he gains from doing so. It does make sense to learn from your mistakes.

:wink:
Gabon Corad

Post by Gabon Corad »

oh oops then ignor my post :oops:
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Ohne gelesen zu haben was etliche vor mir schrieben, die Gründe für meine Inaktivität:

-Erstens sind das private Dinge die mir Zeit rauben (gerade Abi hinter mir, jetzt kommt Ausbildung, andauernd Wettebwerbe im sport, nebenbei jobben ect. pp.) ... man hat halt nichtmehr die selbe menge Zeit wie als schüler der sekundärstufe eins.....

-Zweitens, ist das die zunehmende Internationliesierung Illarions, ich will jetz garnichtmal mit meiner klischee Meinung über US-Bürger um mich schlagen, aber abgesehen von sprachlichen Problemen die sich unausweichlich auch aufs Rollenspiel ausüben hatte diese zunehmende Internationliesierung von Illarion für mich zur Folge das ich auf immer mehr Spieler traf, mit gänzlich anderen Vorstellungen von Rollenspiel, vorallem dessen Sinn. Dies führte letztendlich dazu, das es Spieler gab deren Chars ich regelrecht ausgewichen bin....

-Drittens, was mich ganz massiv stört und ich auch schon x-mal gesagt habe ist die mager ausgebaute Hintergrundstory, es gibt nichteinmal eine vernüftige Zeitline, wir wissen ein wenig was über die Götter und über die Entstehung der Welt und das wars. jeder versuch dort selber mitzuhelfen wurde zwar freundlich begrüßt meist früher oder später aber doch ignoriert oder einfach nicht mehr beachtet.... Selbieges gild übrings auch für die Sprache der einzelnden Völker.

...Wie dem aber auch sei denke ich trotzdem, dass der Weg den Illa/das Team drumherrum eingeschlagen hat der richtige ist. Die Hauptursache sehe ich mehr in den Veränderungen die ich Gemacht habe und nicht in denen die Illa gemacht hat. Jeder Umbruch wie ihn illa als Spiel nun hinter sich hat bringt Verlust (in dem Falle an Spielern) mit sich. Aber dennoch sind diese Umbrüche auch unbedinkt notwenige Erneuerungen und früher oder später wird sich illa auch wieder mehr und aktiveren Spielern erfreuen können, denke ich zumindest.

edit: Noch ein Punkt der mir doch sehr auf dem herzen liegt, auch wenn das nciht imemr so war bin ich inzwischen jemand der sher viel wert auf das reine charplay und das auspielen von aktionen woe schmieden kämpfen, zaubern oder was auch immer legt und nicht so sehr der fan von klickorgien sit. Deswegen bin ich auch ein absoluter beführworter, dafür das Rollenspiel auch in form von skillerhöhungen belohnt wird. Das vermisse ich an illa.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Djironnyma wrote:-Zweitens, ist das die zunehmende Internationliesierung Illarions, ich will jetz garnichtmal mit meiner klischee Meinung über US-Bürger um mich schlagen, aber abgesehen von sprachlichen Problemen die sich unausweichlich auch aufs Rollenspiel ausüben hatte diese zunehmende Internationliesierung von Illarion für mich zur Folge das ich auf immer mehr Spieler traf, mit gänzlich anderen Vorstellungen von Rollenspiel, vorallem dessen Sinn. Dies führte letztendlich dazu, das es Spieler gab deren Chars ich regelrecht ausgewichen bin....
Kannst Du Deine Vorstellung vom Rollenspiel kurz umreissen?
Djironnyma wrote:-Drittens, was mich ganz massiv stört und ich auch schon x-mal gesagt habe ist die mager ausgebaute Hintergrundstory, es gibt nichteinmal eine vernüftige Zeitline, wir wissen ein wenig was über die Götter und über die Entstehung der Welt und das wars.
In Arbeit. Soweit ich weiss, wird dann die "Geschichte" wie sie bisher so über Moonsilver gegeben war nicht mehr vorhanden sein.
Djironnyma wrote:edit: Noch ein Punkt der mir doch sehr auf dem herzen liegt, auch wenn das nciht imemr so war bin ich inzwischen jemand der sher viel wert auf das reine charplay und das auspielen von aktionen woe schmieden kämpfen, zaubern oder was auch immer legt und nicht so sehr der fan von klickorgien sit. Deswegen bin ich auch ein absoluter beführworter, dafür das Rollenspiel auch in form von skillerhöhungen belohnt wird. Das vermisse ich an illa.
Damit bin ich generell einverstanden, aber die GMs können nicht ständig zuschauen wie wir RPen.
martin

Post by martin »

Was die Internationalisierung betrifft, bin ich fuer den harten Ansatz, dass alle, die dagegen sind, sich ein anderes Spiel suchen sollten. Ich empfinde naemlich gerade das die groesste Bereicherung. Illarion ist, im Gegensatz zu vielen anderen Spielen, von Grund auf auf Mehrsprachigkeit ausgelegt. Das ist mir aeusserst wichtig.
Ich kann nur noch einmal, wie so oft, und gerade jetzt wieder betonen, dass es sich fuer mich als sehr befremdlich darstellt, dass du bereits 3 Tage nach dem Abitur all deine Englischkenntnisse eingebuesst hast. Nur weiter so, in 2 Wochen bist du des Sprechens nicht mehr maechtig, in 3 hast du Probleme beim Gehen und in 4 Wochen brauchst du Windeln.

Was die Skills fuer's RPen angeht: Wie stellst du dir das vor? Staendig 20 GMs online, die mitschreiben, das mitgeschriebene in eine Bewertungsfunktion eingeben und dann rausbekommen "Gandela + 20 Schmieden"? Das ist etwas laecherlich, finde ich. Gerade einem Rollenspieler, dachte ich, sei der Skill egal. Auf einmal soll gerade der Rollenspieler die Skills bekommen? Mir scheint's da widerspricht es sich.

Martin
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Moirear Sian:

Zum Thema meiner Vorstellung von Rollenspiel/warum diese mit anderen aneinandergerät. Zuersteinmal will ich aber klarstellen das ich folgendes in keinster Weise Fremndenfeindlich meine, auch wenn es temporär anders herrüber kommen mag, seh ich das im Folgendem Geschriebende lediglich als meine subjektiven Ansichten über Dinge an, die einfach Anders, garnichtmal schlechter oder besser sondern nur Unterschiedlich sind. Auch denke ich nciht das alle Rollenspieler des nicht deutschsprachiegem Raumes so wären, ich denke jedoch das die Art Rollenspieler wie ich es bin, auch im englischen Sprachraum eher unter sich bleiben.

Ich habe mit Missmut vorrallem bei Spielern von weiter weg (wenn nciht nur) den Eindruck gewonnen das sie sich meist in zwei Gruppen einordnen lassen können.
Die erste, die ihr Rollenspiel viel mehr Mittel zum Zweck als der Zweck an sich ist. Meine Erfahrungen sprechen dafür das es vielen nurnoch darum geht der Beste in Etwas zu sein, sei es nun der stärkste Krieger, mächtigste Magier, produktivste Goldschmied oder was auch immer. Bei mir bildete sich immer mehr die Ansicht, sie würden das Charplay des Rollenspieles nurnoch als schmückendes beiwerk oder gar nicht mehr als eine veraltete regel/Umgangsform ansehen, die man halt noch etwas Pflegte um den schein zu wahren, mehr aber nicht.
Die Zweite, die ihren Char als unantastbaren Helden ansehen, der weder Schwäche noch Makel haben darf, ich habe in dem Zusammenhang in Rage und privaterem Kriese oft mals mit dem beleidigendem Wort Minderwertigkeitskomplex um mich geworfen, ich denke es verdeutlicht was ich meine. Sicherlich neigen wir alle (gerade ich) dazu unsere Chars herauszupolieren und möglichst gut dazustellen. Aber meine Erfahrungen haben mir gezeigt das vorallem Spieler von weiter Weg oftmals in diesem Punkt zu haltloser Übertreibung neigen.
In meiner Ansicht von Rollenspiel ist Charplay aber das wichtigste. Meine lieblingsform des Rollenspieles basiert auf reinem Charplay. Es gibt da zum Beispiel das Spielsystem Feng Shui (wahrscheinlich anders geschrieben) in dem gibt es weder Eigenschaften noch Fähigkeiten. Eine Handlung (vorallem im Kampf) gelinkt nach entscheid des Meisters je besser, je genauer der Spieler die Handlung seines Chars beschreibt. ich liebe dieses System. Natürlich ist dergleichen schon allein vom Ansatz her mit Illarion nicht zu vergleichen, jedoch macht es zumindest meine vorstellung von Rollenspiel hoffentlich etwas deutlicher.

Zu dem letzten Punkt schreibe ich weiter unten etwas.

Martin:

Hach ja Martin wie hab ich deinen unangebrachten Sarkasmus vermisst... abgesehen davon, das man um Abi zu machen kein Englisch können muss war hier danach gefragt warum wir zu spielen aufhörten, diese frage habe ich beantwortet, außerdem schrieb ich auch das ich generell den weg den Illa einschlug beführworte, also garnichts ändern würde, ich hatte mir lediglich die Zeit genommen meine sich der Dinge zu erläutert, wobei mir jetzt gerade auffällt das ich unbegründet pampige Reaktionen von Seiten einzelnder Teammitglieder vergaß aufzulisten.

Zu den Skills: glaube mit da gibt es systeme wie Sand am Meer. Eines das ich sehr zu schätzen gelernt habe will ich hier kurz erläutern. Die Erfahrungspunkte die der einzelnde Charakter bekommt (und auf seine skills verteilen kann) setzt sich aus zwei Hauptfaktoren zusammen. Dem Qualitäts und den Quantitätsfaktor.
Der Qualitätsfaktor ist ein simpler Wert zwischen 1 und 10. Jeder Char startet mit einem Wert von 3, dieser kann von jedem SL gesenkt oder erhöt werden, dies geschieht wenn der Char negativ oder positiv aufällt, zum Beispiel bei Quests, im Forum oder wenn ein SL zufällig online ist und etwas beobachtet. Bis auf einen Schmierzettel für etweilige Notizen ist hierfür kein Mehraufwand für die SLs notwendig.
Zum Quantitätsfaktor. Dieser Setzt sich aus zwei Dingen zusammen, zum einen wie lange (/viel) ist der Char online, zum anderen wieviel Zeichen hat er in dieser Zeit in Anwesenheit min. eines anderen Chars geschrieben. Hierbei ist jedoch darauf zu achten das es auf die Balance beider werte ankommt. Es brinngt nichts wenn der Char einfach nur online ist und irgendwo rumsteht und nichts tu oder sich zwei chars gegenseitig zuspammen, im Gegenteil solche extrem Handlungen haben eine Senkung des Quantitätsfaktors zur Folge.
Natürlich ist ein umgehens solchen Systemes tendenziel möglich, vorallem dann wenn die Spieler es genauer kennen. Ich für meinen Teil halte dieses Risiko aber für vertretbar wobei es sich durch abschreckende Strafen bei verstoß sehr gering halten läst.

Was das verhältnis Rollenspieler und Skills angeht: Sicherlich brauchen rollenspieler keine Skills. Das ist dann freies Rollenspiel, meiner Meinung nach die Königsklasse des Rollenspieles, hierbei gibt es dann aber garkeine Skills, sprich für niemanden. In einem System, in dem es aber Skills gibt, ist es Unfug zu behaupten ein Rollenspieler bräuchte diese nicht. Es ist bestensfalls lächerlich einen Schmied zu spielen der nicht schmieden kann oder einen Söldner zu haben, der von dem Händler den er schützen sollte von den Fliegen gerettet werden muss.
Gehen wir einmal an die Wurzeln des Rollenspieles, zu D20 - Systemen wie DnD, die ich (und ich glaube nicht zu unrecht) als Mütter des populären Rollenspieles ansehe. Hierbei galten schon immer dreiHauptprinzipien bei der Erfahrungspunktevergabe. Erstens, wieviel Monster habe ich getötet, zweitens was habe ich tolles geleistet (an Schlößer öffnen, fallen stellen ect.) und drittens wie gut war mein Charplay (sowohl NSCs wie SCs gegenüber). Für diese Dinge gab es dann Erfahrungspunkte, was mit denen geschah, die ganze Stufengeschichte ist nun eine Sache die mir nicht so sehr gefällt aber egal. Worum es geht ist folgendes, im ursprünglichen Rollenspiel ging es um Sachen wie schmieden, nähen oder Bäume fällen nicht. Was man konnte und was man war hing in erster Line vom eigendem Willen, dem was man leistete und dem eigendem Charplay ab. Das ist für mich Rollenspiel in Reinform. In Illarion wurde durch das reine laerning by doing System, der Punkt Charplay vollkommen außen vor gelassen. Dadurch werden all jene Rollenspieler geprellt die vorallem daran spaß haben. Soviel dazu....
Cain Freemont

Re: What is wrong with illarion/Was läuft falsch in Illarion

Post by Cain Freemont »

Cassandra Fjurin wrote:Now again i heared it from a player. There is something wrong with illarion. What is that. I dont want a list of bugs, for that we have flyspray. This question is more for the old players who have stopped playing the last days. Why? Why is illarion boring. What is happened after the wipe. What is so wrong that you have stopped playing illarion.
All my friends left and the game lost its flavor after a series of events that irritated the hell out of me. Not even the wipe worked for me.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Cain, do you mean real-life friends who played Illarion, or do you mean people you got to know playing Illarion?

If you mean the latter, thanks for not giving alot of us even a proper chance. :(

And could you elaborate on the series of events, and how the wipe didn't work for you? Thanks.

/edit: While some people may think this is a thread to just bitch at developers, I've been trying to gain some insights concerning roleplaying from it, instead. Personally, I think all the complaints so far on this thread are mostly paired with impatience, even those of my own.
Filidan

Post by Filidan »

Could someone translate the vast amount of german text posted above there? I have skimmed through it, and I think it is interesting information.
Cain Freemont

Post by Cain Freemont »

Moirear Sian wrote:Cain, do you mean real-life friends who played Illarion, or do you mean people you got to know playing Illarion?

If you mean the latter, thanks for not giving alot of us even a proper chance. :(

And could you elaborate on the series of events, and how the wipe didn't work for you? Thanks.

/edit: While some people may think this is a thread to just bitch at developers, I've been trying to gain some insights concerning roleplaying from it, instead. Personally, I think all the complaints so far on this thread are mostly paired with impatience, even those of my own.
First, it was the latter, yes. And I'm not going to apologize for not giving a lot of you the chance, especially since things started to get more strict about talking out of character while in game. That's one thing I got tired of; people whining whenever someone talked little more than three lines out of character. I realize the game is about roleplaying, but the way I made friends was through actually getting to know the people, not associating my character with another. Characters, no matter how real, are fictional and it is silly to befriend imaginary reality. The series of events that caused me to leave, even after the wipe are really my own business, but I suppose its just as stupid to state something without explanation.

I started getting depressed in my real life and it was affecting my roleplay a lot. I was starting to lose a sense of who 'Cain' really was and it clouded my judgement as to how I should properly roleplay him. That's probably the biggest reason. The other main reason is my own past history of not getting the justification/compensation I felt I deserved when technical issues befell my character (I've talked about these before on the forums, so I'm not going to say what these are). I know that's a selfish reason, but isn't it also a selfish act to leave a game where you can offer something to everyone else? The cause and effect was almost inevitable, in my opinion.

The wipe itself was not a problem for me, but the fact that I had to walk all the way to a place like Greenbriar to buy something so common as a bucket was just silly to me. I realize it was to promote trade amongst actual players, and in turn improve roleplay possibilities and quality, but I felt items that are so common being placed so distantly apart was too much. I realize I could have brought it up (and it IS in my location), but I also realized that the developers and the rest of the staff have/had many much more important things to take care of, so I did not want to disturb them with something that would be deemed a silly complaint. But for me, it was a big thing. Not because of skills, not because of wanting to make a bunch of stuff just so I could acquire wealth, but because I simply do not have time enough in the day to spend 10 minutes walking to a place to buy a bucket at 3 AM when there are so few people on that no one is in town anyway. With a vastly larger map should come a faster mode of transportation. This is true with any game, whether its an MMORPG or an MORPG like Illarion. I realize it may not be possible to implement a faster means of movement, so just to clarify, I am not complaining about it, I'm just saying that it is a problem to me.

If your last comment was directed in any way at me, I'd like to say that I really have no complaints about the game. It has been a wonderful experience, but if I am to play on a regular basis, or at all probably, I am going to have to wait until the player count is more vast, so I can actually get something accomplished other than boringly roleplaying with myself in the wee hours of the morning.

~Eric
Misjbar

Post by Misjbar »

Oh joy, we have another Erick. P.S. "With a vastly larger map should come a faster mode of transportation." I believe this is on the way. :wink:
Cirindil Atarion

Post by Cirindil Atarion »

The map is vast and not in a good way. Vast as in empty and dull all around. I walked for 40-60 minutes just trying to make my way to Troll's Bane, but all that I ended up doing was nearly falling asleep at my keyboard after seeing length after length of space with not a soul in sight. It is simply a pain just to get anywhere, and if it was like this for me I cannot imagine how bad it must be for a complete newbie just testing the game for the first time.

Edit: I still have not gotten to Troll's Bane after pushing on for another quarter of an hour. Well, I give up now after being physically and mentally exhausted. Finding other players to roleplay with and locating Troll's Bane will just have to wait for another day when I feel up to the grim task of wandering aimlessly on the new map.
Fildraniel
Location: Thinking about a question, asked by an intrigued person

Post by Fildraniel »

We have a teleporter in Troll's Bane (well...he sells you a journey). So once you are in Troll's Bane, life will get easier.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

The map is indeed large, but not so much to complain about it. Once you figure out the map its so much easier. The placements of things didn't change, just the size. Think of the old map, just 9 times larger. That's all it is basically. Where was the harbour on the old map? Southwest of TrollsBane. Where is it now? DUN DUN DUN! In the same spot, it's just a little further of a walk. The river is in the same spot, TB, Varshikar, there's just more to discover and develop. If you can't figure out how to get to TB just go back to the harbour and head in the direction you KNEW it to be last.
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Three times, only three times larger then before.
I saw a couple of people saying its 9 times larger last days, I wonder where this came from.